Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,508 members, 7,823,190 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends (9039 Views)

2023: Uncertainty Over Fate Of PDP, APC Candidates In 4 States / Electoral Bill: CSOs Demand Buhari’s Assent In Two Days, To Stage Protest / Senate Passes 112 Toll-Free National Emergency Number, Awaiting Buhari’s Assent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends by Babandia27: 9:29pm On Dec 19, 2021
Problem everywhere. Even the 2/3 majority we are discussing, where Will we see ? Is it by voice vote or electronic vote.
To be sincere, we are finished.
Re: Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends by Indispensable85(m): 9:29pm On Dec 19, 2021
Re: Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends by akdjr(m): 9:30pm On Dec 19, 2021
To have a free and fair election with transparent process is very possible through the use of NIN. I don't know why the executive and legislative don't want to utilize this and make it happen.
Re: Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends by DLSReigns: 9:31pm On Dec 19, 2021
When assent to a particular bill is being delayed as this, it simply means the bidding of a few has somehow outweigh the general good of the masses.
Re: Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends by Agbegbaorogboye: 9:39pm On Dec 19, 2021
fergie001:

That's where his fears are........

Though I am for Parties determining their own system of Primaries/

Bro that direct primary is just a dummy they put in the bill to give Buhari a good excuse to not sign it. The constitution clearly states that parties are at liberty to decide the mode of choosing their candidates so, that provision is against the constitution and is null and void.

If Buhari really means well for Nigeria, he will simply sign the bill and have that provision expunged by the courts as inconsistent with the constitution. That particular provision should not be his headache at all. It's a dummy to distract Nigerians from the real gain of that bill. Don't forget that particular provision was not even debated in the first draft of the bill.

2 Likes

Re: Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends by Ellegacy(m): 9:45pm On Dec 19, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:

Bro that direct primary is just a dummy they put in the bill to give Buhari a good excuse to not sign it. The constitution clearly states that parties are at liberty to decide the mode of choosing their candidates so, that provision is against the constitution and is null and void.

If Buhari really means well for Nigeria, he will simply sign the bill and have that provision expunged by the courts as inconsistent with the constitution. That particular provision should not be his headache at all. It's a dummy to distract Nigerians from the real gain of that bill. Don't forget that particular provision was not even debated in the first draft of the bill.

It will be a clouded court cases. I think the best way forward is to write to the national assembly to have them remove the provisions of any provisions on why he won't sign the bill to law.
Re: Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends by fergie001: 9:48pm On Dec 19, 2021
Ellegacy:

It will be a clouded court cases. I think the best way forward is to write to the national assembly to have them remove the provisions of any provisions on why he won't sign the bill to law.
Before they respond........If they will, this administration will be over.

Allow the Courts decide then....afterall, the Courts helped us nullify Section 140(2) of the Electoral Act.

Agbegbaorogboye:

Eweeeeeyyyyy

Na now I see am clearlyyyyyyyy

Re: Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends by Agbegbaorogboye: 9:53pm On Dec 19, 2021
Ellegacy:

Clouded as how
It is a constitutional question which is pretty straightforward. What does Buhari have an AGF for? What does his party have a National Legal Adviser for? I insist that provision was a dead rubber meant to distract people from the electronic transmission that CSOs and other well meaning Nigerians fought so hard to have in the bill. Same way Buhari dodged legalizing the card readers he benefitted from in 2015 by refusing to sign the 2018 bill. It's same modus operandi.
Buhari is a nightmare for this country. Worse than OBJ self!!

2 Likes

Re: Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends by Amah70: 10:22pm On Dec 19, 2021
Shehuyinka:

https://www.icirnigeria.org/uncertainty-over-electoral-bill-as-30-day-period-for-buharis-assent-ends/

If the Bill is about limiting the powers of the presidency selecting who will succeede
the president, or limiting election rigging in Nigeria, nobody expects the Bill to be signed by the President, or the National Assembly overriding the president's veto to the Bill.
We have a classically corrupt politicians and political process in Nigeria.
No country in the world can rival Nigeria on that corruption.

1 Like

Re: Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends by ENIGMATIC2023(m): 10:26pm On Dec 19, 2021
Legally speaking tomorrow is the deadline as today is Sunday so the dead fool who just came from Turkey where he went to cut his birthday cake can still sign it and if he fails then the myopic rubber stamped NASS can override him and veto it.

Nigerians are watching and posterity will judge them.
Re: Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends by Agbegbaorogboye: 10:31pm On Dec 19, 2021
fergie001:

Before they respond........If they will, this administration will be over.

Allow the Courts decide then....afterall, the Courts helped us nullify Section 140(2) of the Electoral Act.

Eweeeeeyyyyy

Na now I see am clearlyyyyyyyy

Enlighten me on something pls as I'm getting a vibe from a friend.
Does the constitution say anything about transmission of result?
Re: Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends by oluwasegun007(m): 10:54pm On Dec 19, 2021
RichDad1:
The National Assembly should override the President and vetoed the bill.

Which national assembly.
Re: Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends by BigBashiru: 2:53am On Dec 20, 2021
harqinhola:
These guys are too corrupt to make this bill fly, they'll rather stick to their old election rigging methods than endorse this . Except they have a new strategy to rig with the newly proposed electoral bill , IT WILL NOT BE ACC3PTED . ......

Una wey like to quote, me oya oo i don talk my own ...

Down with the useless bill and with democracy. Military rule is fine in Nigeria
Re: Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends by Nobody: 4:45am On Dec 20, 2021
This has the potential to be worse than the first go slow when he came to power/office and refused to/fumbling to select cabinet members. Baba go slow/APC wasting time for selfish reasons. APC believe their constitution is superior to Nigeria's constitution. Unfortunate country.
Re: Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends by ojsmscom(m): 5:47am On Dec 20, 2021
Don't expect them to sign the bill if Nigerians did not protest massively.....
Re: Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends by ambitiousLord(m): 6:40am On Dec 20, 2021
Allahismad:
I know notingg tangible will emanate from the worshippers of that lunatic that is also mad and worthless in my moniker, religionn of piss indeed.
many are mad but few are roaming
Re: Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends by fergie001: 7:13am On Dec 20, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:
Enlighten me on something pls as I'm getting a vibe from a friend.
Does the constitution say anything about transmission of result?
The present Electoral Act & indeed the Constitution are silent about Electronic transmission of results and mode of Primaries.
Re: Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends by Issues40(m): 7:35am On Dec 20, 2021
Wike said it all. Sadly Nigerians didn't listen. There's no way Buhari will assent to that bill. Electronic transmission of result will push the APC out of power and they know it
Re: Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends by reiddecuti: 9:23am On Dec 20, 2021
It's only a leader throughly elected by the people's majority vote will work on strengthening the electoral bill. I guess if Buhari is elected by the popular votes as claimed just like our corrupt governors. Hence the bill suffering defeat. To the status quo should be maintained.

VERY FANTASTICAL CORRUPT FELLOWS!!!
Re: Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends by fubsy: 9:58am On Dec 20, 2021
Anti-people leadership. In my opinion, the president is preparing the ground for corrupt elections. The other concern is that the National Assembly will follow the same route.
Re: Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends by Carlyscales: 4:50pm On Dec 20, 2021
RichDad1:
The National Assembly should override the President and vetoed the bill.
Not the present assembly
They don't have the balls
Lily livered
Re: Uncertainty Over Electoral Bill As 30-Day Period For Buhari’s Assent Ends by psalmz(m): 9:17pm On Dec 20, 2021
Allahismad:
I know notingg tangible will emanate from the worshippers of that lunatic that is also mad and worthless in my moniker, religionn of piss indeed.
cc Mynd44 ,lalasticlala

(1) (2) (Reply)

2023: Tinubu Appoints Masari Senior Adviser On Admin, Wamako, Special Duties / Lagos Monarchs Get N46m Car Gift From Fashola / How 2face Outsmart All Nigeria Security Forces.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.