Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,521 members, 7,836,982 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:22 PM

Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean (3990 Views)

Jonathan's Massive Campaign Rally in Onitsha, Anambra (Photos) / Africa: The Causes Of Under- Development And The Challenges Of Globalisation / Nigeria And Challenges Of Fiscal Federalism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by ektbear: 4:10pm On Jun 14, 2011
Ever since the military regime which led to systemic collapse, decay in infrastructure and dwindling moral fibre of the people, the challenge to keep our environment clean has become a Herculean task.

In Onitsha, the Anambra State commercial hub, arguably regarded as the "dirtiest city" in the country, successive administrations especially since the return of democracy in 1999, have made efforts, some serious, some half-hearted and some uncoordinated to address the Onitsha environmental challenge all to no avail. Dr. Chinwoke Mbadinuju's administration, seen by many Anambra people as "monumental" failure, could not tackle the issue of Onitsha dirty environment, although he made some half-hearted efforts. The appointment of Dr. Chukwuka and Dr. Alex Obiogbolu at different periods of his four-year tenure as the helmsmen of the Anambra State Environmental Protection Agency (ANSEPA) did not yield much result. Dr. Chris Ngige equally appointed his kinsman, Dr. Eddy Anyakora ,who claimed to be an expert in waste disposal management, yet not much was achieved.

But the major set-backs of these people were lack of political will and failure to appreciate the enormity of environmental situation in Onitsha by the respective governors. Consequently, no money was appropriated for the Agency in these periods. ANSEPA was seen as agency its staff and contractors can use and extort money for services not rendered. So, anybody appointed as ANSEPA Chief Executive is not funded but sent there as a settlement.

So, by the time Governor Peter Obi came on board, the situation has become so deplorable that epidemic was almost in the offing. In fact, the dirty environment of Onitsha and its suburbs have become a campaign issue even up till today. Obi had in his manifesto promised to lift Onitsha to its state of squalor to clean and attractive city. First, it appeared that Governor Obi was himself confused or he was in a hurry to please the people as he ordered for weekly environmental sanitation every Saturday, where people were told to clean their surroundings and keep the refuse at a designated place.

This did not only become monotonous and time consuming, there was also no enough lorry tippers to carry the refuse that was generated, thereby causing the refuse to be thrown back to the drainage system and other places they were generated from. At this period, ANSEPA has collapsed with workers already owed more than 20 months' salaries. Although Governor Obi appointed Mr. Emma Ude-Akpe as the managing director, he was handicapped by lack of funding, dilapidated equipment, demoralized staff who were owed several months of arrears of salary, among many other factors. Why the governor refused to fund ANSEPA till date is still not clear.

However, respite came when the LAGA, a body said to be tripartite initiative by Federal Government, Anambra State Government and a private concern, was brought by the state government to evacuate refuse in Onitsha . LAGA's main function was to clear refuse in Onitsha and environs, while ANSEPA is now to collect the environmental levies from the residents of the commercial city. The body has brought some breather with new equipment including vehicles and personnel. At least at intervals, the residents now see the refuse they generated evacuated. There are areas LAGA staff sweep major streets in Onitsha especially from Bridgehead to Upper Iweka .

However , many believe that this is a far cry from their expectation. According to Mr. Collins Okolo, an environmental activist based in Onitsha , the people expect more commitment by way of funding and effective monitoring. The LAGA people do not come regularly, the equipment and operational vehicles are not enough. The receptacle, which is where residents dump refuse are not enough. People still go far away to dump their refuse.

Sometimes, Okolo said, these receptacles will be full and they will not carry them for days. The people will now be compelled to pour their refuse on the ground, posing a serious health hazard to the people.

When Sunday Champion sought the views of the Anambra State Commissioner for Environment, Mr. Mike Egbobike, he was said to have travelled abroad. But Ude-Akpe blamed the people for not paying their sanitation levies as when due. He said the agency loses almost N100million every month from the defaulters of environmental levy. Ude-Akpe also said without the people paying their levies regularly, government will not have enough to fund the clearing of refuse in Onitsha .

He frowned at the attitude of residents towards environmental sanitation. For instance, most residents have turned drainage system into receptacles and this has blocked the system, causing flooding during rainy season. A visit to Onitsha immediately after rainy season can be an eye sore as flood throws out refuse on the roads, "These refuse were dumped by people", he said. Ude-Akpe, however , said LAGA has been doing serious job in the clearing refuse in Onitsha , although he said they are not directly on his control.

The issue of levy collection has become a source of controversy. Apart from the fact that ANSEPA is alleged to be collecting levies without visible services offered, many people and organizations have hijacked ANSEPA levy. Among them are landlords, especially the Awada landlords, who Ude-Akpe said have no expertise on refuse management but want to get involved in it because of money.

Leadership of markets are also involved in scrambling for refuse money as well as ANSEPA contractors. "If all these people are interested in disposing refuse as they are in collecting money, Onitsha would have been improved significantly", a concerned resident said.

Many however said both the Ministry of Environment and ANSEPA have not been able to carry out their job effectively, questioning why even ANSEPA will also be interested in collecting money when they have not rendered services effectively.

Comrade Emeka Umeagbalasi, chairman, Board of Trustees, International Society for Civil Liberties Organization (Intersociety), said it is wrong for ANSEPA to rush to collect money without providing quality services to the people. He also blamed the existence of multiplicity of revenue collection bodies on the Ministry and ANSEPA, saying: "Anambra has not arrived in environmental management". According to him, environmental management does not only mean refuse disposal, it includes but not limited to town planning, comply to building plans, provision of recreation facilities, open spaces, burial ground. "What happened to cemeteries in the town which already have been taken over by land speculators; what of dump sites, indiscriminate dumping of refuse dumps in the city?", he queried.

The activist blamed lack of effectiveness on part of the Ministry and ANSEPA, saying that there is no strict compliance to sanitation rules and regulations as people dump refuse into drainage system, indiscriminate dropping of sachet water and empty cans apparently due to lack of trash cans along major streets in town. He challenged the Commissioner for Environment and ANSEPA to "resist the arm-chair syndrome and work hard to confront frontally the seemingly intractable waste management in Onitsha before engaging in collecting sanitation levies."

The Onitsha Chamber of Commerce, Industries Mines and Agriculture (ONICCIMA) said waste disposal management in Onitsha and its environs has remained one of the major problems facing the business community. The Director of the Organized private Sector (OPS), Mr. Dominic Ajibo, lamented that the problem has really become intractably endemic that all the efforts of the government to address it has been superficial.

"The situation calls for a greater commitment on the part of the state government in order to save our environment and reduce the spread of disease caused by our terribly dirty surroundings" he said. Ajibo called for the strengthening of ANSEPA and its staff better motivated to do their job better, saying that private sector should be engaged to help out, while there should be enough refuse collection centres for people to have easy access

"Indeed the issue of refuse in Onitsha is a critical problem that should be medically addressed by the state government without politicizing it" said ONICCIMA director further said.

http://allafrica.com/stories/printable/201106130720.html
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by ektbear: 4:13pm On Jun 14, 2011
Part of the problem is Nigerians ourselves. There is this mentality that dumping trash anyhow and anywhere is ok.
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by joeyfire(m): 4:31pm On Jun 14, 2011
@ekt bear - Shame dey catch me. My beloved state has been bedeviled by some of the most despicable and incompetent governors in history. From mbadinuju to this obi character. to be honest i really doubt at times that he came from the private sector. All he does is to try and ape fashola without even considering the ways to implement the policies.When Ngige was in charge, we know how onitsha cleaned out in almost no time. He employed direct labour to do everything from road construction to waste disposal and it worked!

Ileke-IdI:

True.

In Anambra, I heard that people find it easier to go behind the house to poopoo on the floor.

It's the lack of proper hygiene and proper disposal unit.

@ileke idi - You lie like a five year old. if you werent a little girl i'd say something very rude. but obviously you dont know what you are doing
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by ektbear: 5:12pm On Jun 14, 2011
^-- I feel you man. It seems like it is such a struggle to get good leadership in Nigeria. At times I wonder how the country has progressed to the level it has over the past decade or so with so many questionable governors.
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by Afam4eva(m): 7:15pm On Jun 14, 2011
Onitsha really needs help. Onitsha is Anambra's ain problem just like power is Nigerias'. Anabra just like Abia state have been unlucky with leaders. If they can have people like Rochas and Chime, i think the problem will be solved.
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jun 14, 2011
If lagos can be cleaned up to a reasonable extent, why not Onitsha? The secret behind a good waste managemnt system is proper monitoring. The State will be a better place of Obi awards contracts to competent people rather than looking for good labour!
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by OgidiBoy(m): 1:36am On Jun 15, 2011
All these ppl that keep getting all worked up over Ileke- Idi's posts,don't you'll know by now that she is only trying to ruffle you're feathers come on

folks. Don't feed the troll and it will starve to death.

For a city so overly populated like Onitsha with no waste management program, problems like these is very common. Igbos are naturally clean ppl,

problem with Onitsha is there is just no where to dump all the trash that is generated.
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by pleep(m): 12:20pm On Jun 15, 2011
On my first visit to Nigeria I passed through onitsha on the way to Uyo from Abuja. It was so depressing because that was when I realized "everything I've heard about Africa is true".

And then I saw owerri.
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by hackney(m): 12:59pm On Jun 15, 2011
Why cant these dumps borrow a leaf from owerri? ?

Black man just cant emulate.
monkeys
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by chino11(m): 2:45pm On Jun 15, 2011
pleep:

On my first visit to Nigeria I passed through onitsha on the way to Uyo from Abuja. It was so depressing because that was when I realized "everything I've heard about Africa is true".

And then I saw owerri.

I think you are talking total blunder. You are an ordinary akwibom (mmowu). You should go and face yourself with the child witchcraft menace ravaging your akwibom state.

Here is where the world holds Onitsha;

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/analysis/commentary/13750-onitsha-dynamics-of-rapid-urbanisation
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by Pukkah: 3:16pm On Jun 15, 2011
Unfortunately, this thread has been derailed and there goes an opportunity to thrash the problems and using this forum, put the relevant government organs on their toes to deliver the dividends of democracy to Nigerians who have suffered so much. 

Apart from a couple of sincere replies, the rest are disgraceful, tribal outburst that have nothing to benefit mankindembarassed  And these are from the so-called Christians or Muslims that would yell 'in Jesus name' or 'I believe in God' at the drop of a hat.  There is nothing wrong in loving and promoting your tribe but it's totally wrong to make sweeping statements which condemn a whole tribe/race in a blanket manner. Really, does this make sense? Isn't this the age of cooperation rather than competition?

With the present generation conducting itself like this, it's very easy to predict the future of this potentially great country.
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by OAM4J: 5:16pm On Jun 15, 2011
Thread cleaned! No more ethnocentric/personal insults or off topics please.
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by aljharem3: 5:26pm On Jun 15, 2011
OgidiBoy:

All these ppl that keep getting all worked up over Ileke- Idi's posts,don't you'll know by now that she is only trying to ruffle you're feathers come on

folks. Don't feed the troll and it will starve to death.

For a city so overly populated like Onitsha with no waste management program, problems like these is very common. Igbos are naturally clean ppl,

problem with Onitsha is there is just no where to dump all the trash that is generated.

grin grin grin grin grin grin are they mami water grin grin grin

silly comment indeed
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by aljharem3: 5:28pm On Jun 15, 2011
onitsha use to be a clean place before the massive immigration started

back in 70's onitsha was very beautiful but now its gone to the dogs
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by Pukkah: 5:34pm On Jun 15, 2011
ekt_bear:

Ever since the military regime which led to systemic collapse, decay in infrastructure and dwindling moral fibre of the people, the challenge to keep our environment clean has become a Herculean task.

Although the civilian government has its own problems, may military rule not come this way again.

ekt_bear:

But the major set-backs of these people were lack of political will and failure to appreciate the enormity of environmental situation in Onitsha by the respective governors. Consequently, no money was appropriated for the Agency in these periods. ANSEPA was seen as agency its staff and contractors can use and extort money for services not rendered. So, anybody appointed as ANSEPA Chief Executive is not funded but sent there as a settlement.

However , many believe that this is a far cry from their expectation. According to Mr. Collins Okolo, an environmental activist based in Onitsha , the people expect more commitment by way of funding and effective monitoring. The LAGA people do not come regularly, the equipment and operational vehicles are not enough. The receptacle, which is where residents dump refuse are not enough. People still go far away to dump their refuse.

Sometimes, Okolo said, these receptacles will be full and they will not carry them for days. The people will now be compelled to pour their refuse on the ground, posing a serious health hazard to the people.

The people of the city should organize themselves and demand more from the government they voted for.  It is actually embarassing to be discussing the fact that people pour refuse on the ground because receptacles are full in 2011.  

ekt_bear:

When Sunday Champion sought the views of the Anambra State Commissioner for Environment, Mr. Mike Egbobike, he was said to have travelled abroad. But Ude-Akpe blamed the people for not paying their sanitation levies as when due. He said the agency loses almost N100million every month from the defaulters of environmental levy. Ude-Akpe also said without the people paying their levies regularly, government will not have enough to fund the clearing of refuse in Onitsha .

He frowned at the attitude of residents towards environmental sanitation. For instance, most residents have turned drainage system into receptacles and this has blocked the system, causing flooding during rainy season. A visit to Onitsha immediately after rainy season can be an eye sore as flood throws out refuse on the roads, "These refuse were dumped by people", he said. Ude-Akpe, however , said LAGA has been doing serious job in the clearing refuse in Onitsha , although he said they are not directly on his control.

The issue of levy collection has become a source of controversy. Apart from the fact that ANSEPA is alleged to be collecting levies without visible services offered, many people and organizations have hijacked ANSEPA levy. Among them are landlords, especially the Awada landlords, who Ude-Akpe said have no expertise on refuse management but want to get involved in it because of money.

Leadership of markets are also involved in scrambling for refuse money as well as ANSEPA contractors. "If all these people are interested in disposing refuse as they are in collecting money, Onitsha would have been improved significantly", a concerned resident said.

http://allafrica.com/stories/printable/201106130720.html

This is indeed a problem that runs deep and it requires more than the seeming lukewarm attitude from the state government.  Why should it fold its arms and watch people dump refuse anywhere, refuse to pay levies, or collect levies from people? Certainly, Mr Peter Obi needs to wake up!

OAM4J:

Well done OAM4J!
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by lagcity(m): 6:35pm On Jun 15, 2011
instead of you ppl to go and clean up that trash of a city (if i can call it that shocked), you are here insulting the poster, ekiti and yoruba ppl. you guys are full of excuses: it is a commercial city, it is New York of Africa grin, it is japan of Nigeria, it is cleaner than Ibadan. i hope you ppl will recover from chronic low self esteem that constantly makes you take refuge in self delusion. grin grin i really feel for you guys. u no dey shame?
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by OgidiBoy(m): 12:26am On Jun 16, 2011
OAM4J:

Giving OAM4J a standing ovation, it sure will be nice if most of the Moderators were like you. You have my vote for moderator of the year.

P.S

Please keep an extra eye on alj_harem, the dude can be so freaking annoying
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by ak47mann(m): 2:35am On Jun 16, 2011
OAM4J

thank for chasing them irritating fuc-kers away cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by igboboy1(m): 7:12am On Jun 16, 2011
chino11:

I think you are talking total blunder. You are an ordinary akwibom (mmowu). You should go and face yourself with the child witchcraft menace ravaging your akwibom state.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/analysis/commentary/13750-onitsha-dynamics-of-rapid-urbanisation

Nne o na gwa gi eziokwu and yet you are being defensive, Obu ogu'?

, Though am not from there but Onitsha is a disgrace from what i hear and see, Obi should really do something about it jokes aside.
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by chino11(m): 3:53pm On Jun 16, 2011
Then are you from where, silly Tell us, what is that your rural state of origin, so that we can effectively dissect and compare it with the Light of the Nation- Anambra.
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by igboboy1(m): 10:24pm On Jun 16, 2011
^^ u must be new here not to know igbo boy abum nwa oshimili, ga ne my profile, I agree oshimili as a whole di very rural mana o di clean at the same time, K'am gwa gi eziokwu from what i have heard some parts of onitsha ga so' mmadu oyi.
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by Ivynwa(f): 2:01am On Jun 17, 2011
Anambra state government needs to organize and make arrangement for a proper waste management in that City.

@Igboboy
Nnaa that your "Ofe" location is the bomb-o-o, abeg tanda for "Ofe" joo no carry enter "utara"-o-o.
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by ocelot2006(m): 10:55am On Jun 17, 2011
chino11:

Yet Akwa Ibom happens to be one of Nigeria's cleanest states with excellent civil infrastructure. Hmmmmm,

By the way, I lived in Onitsha as a kid, and i can tell you that the place is one big pile of rubbish and a real eye sore. Your governor had better do something about it.
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by ak47mann(m): 4:07pm On Jun 17, 2011
EFCC PLEASE ARREST PETER OBI JAIL HIM FOREVER angry angry angry
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by chino11(m): 7:51pm On Jun 17, 2011
ocelot2006:

Yet Akwa Ibom happens to be one of Nigeria's cleanest states with excellent civil infrastructure. Hmmmmm,

By the way, I lived in Onitsha as a kid, and i can tell you that the place is one big pile of rubbish and a real eye sore. Your governor had better do something about it.

What is good about Akwibom?? Is it the witchcraft I have seen so many Akwibomites seeking to become Igbos ( Anambran) due to their bad and filthy society filled with child and adult witchcraft. Come to Awka, Onitsha, PH see your peps doing gateman and house help shameless people. No wonder cross river people never valued you guys as human beings.

Just read and see the mess going on in your forsaken state.

http://www.saharareporters.com/article/witchcraft-accusations-and-politics-akwa-ibom-state

http://www.saharareporters.com/article/akwa-ibom-child-witches-eunice-thomas%E2%80%99s-blood-money
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by aljharem3: 7:58pm On Jun 17, 2011
chino11:

What is good about Akwibom?? Is it the witchcraft I have seen so many Akwibomites seeking to become Igbos ( Anambran) due to their bad and filthy society filled with child and adult witchcraft. Come to Awka, Onitsha, PH see your peps doing gateman and house help shameless people. No wonder cross river people never valued you guys as human beings.

http://www.saharareporters.com/article/witchcraft-accusations-and-politics-akwa-ibom-state

http://www.saharareporters.com/article/akwa-ibom-child-witches-eunice-thomas%E2%80%99s-blood-money

so u hate yoruba and efik/ibibio/annag

hmmm, u have a big problem up there
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by Rossikk(m): 11:54pm On Jun 17, 2011
hackney said:

Why cant these dumps borrow a leaf from owerri? ?

Black man just cant emulate.
monkeys

Your mother is a monkey and a cockk-sucking harlot.
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by ocelot2006(m): 12:34am On Jun 18, 2011
chino11:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin LOL!!!!! What's good about Akwa Ibom? Dude, do you really want to go down that road? Or were your previous posts out of jealousy? Anyway, to answer your question, I STRONGLY suggest you take a trip down there and see for yourself. I can assure you that infrastucture-wise, you CANNOT compare Akwa-Ibom with Abia, Imo, Anambra states combined.

Well, back to the topic about the pile of dung called Onitsha.
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by ak47mann(m): 12:59pm On Jun 18, 2011
ocelot2006:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin LOL!!!!! What's good about Akwa Ibom? Dude, do you really want to go down that road? Or were your previous posts out of jealousy? Anyway, to answer your question, I STRONGLY suggest you take a trip down there and see for yourself. I can assure you that infrastucture-wise, you CANNOT compare Akwa-Ibom with Abia, Imo, Anambra states combined.

Well, back to the topic about the pile of dung called Onitsha.
bro that's a big lie some parts of onitsha might be dirty but in infrastructure i don't think so check out population of people in onitsha alone is 3 time more than the whole of akwa ibom i lived in onitsha my former British secondary school was build in 1925 by ash-bishop T.J. Denise a brick school and still there just one example dont forget onitsha is an old city the basic infrastructure is already in place,
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by chino11(m): 8:32pm On Jun 18, 2011
^^^^My bro don't mind that mmonwu akwibom man. The last I check their gov akpabio was using child witchcraft for ritual purposes. One or two areas in Onitsha might be dirty, but greater part of the city is cleaner, planned and more organized 100x more akwibom as a state. And again just like as you pointed out, population of Onitsha alone not Anambra state is more than thrice the populaton of entire Akwibom state.
Re: Challenges Of Keeping Onitsha Clean by ektbear: 9:08pm On Jun 18, 2011
Akwa Ibom is going to progress a lot faster than most other places with the abundant oil wealth at its disposal, though. So even if it is behind (questionable), it won't be for long. Akpabio is reportedly pretty competent

(1) (2) (Reply)

101 Drug Firms Sanctioned In Edo / Who Is Sule Lamido? / Why We Chose Bukola Saraki – Theodore Orji

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.