Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,671 members, 7,955,443 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:03 AM

Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m (2963 Views)

Federal High Court Denies Granting Dasuki, Others N250m Bail / Arms Contract Scandal: Senator Saraki Blackmailed CBN Officials To Pay N250M / Kidnapping: Anambra Govt. Demolishes Church,3 Other Building (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by ektbear: 7:27pm On Jun 14, 2011
AWKA - Anambra State government in partnership with the National Poverty Eradication Programme (NAPEP), has empowered 1,050 persons from its 177 communities with N250 million under its “Care of the People’s Programme’’.

Governor Peter Obi, who distributed cheques to the beneficiaries in Awka, said the programme was one of the initiatives taken to combat poverty in the state.

Obi recalled the beneficiaries were each paid N5,000 monthly for one year after which, they were now given a lump sum of money to start their business.

He said although the beneficiaries were not required to refund the money, as funds were set aside for the implementation of the programme, they were expected to pay “income guarantee’’.

The governor announced that his administration had initiated more economic empowerment programmes to transform the lives of the people.

He, therefore, called on farmers in the state, who had yet to repay loans given to them by the state government to do so, to enable others to benefit.

In his remarks, Mr Zubaru Abdullahi, a representative of NAPEP, said Obi was the first governor to visit NAPEP to discuss ways of addressing poverty in the state.

“Anambra is the first state to pay its counterpart funds and the highest contributor to the programme.

“NAPEP only provided the seed money, while the state government gave the bulk money to cover the many beneficiaries,” Abdullahi said.

Some of the beneficiaries, lauded the state government for the initiative.

http://nigerianobservernews.com/13062011/news/Other%20News/othernews10.html
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by ektbear: 7:28pm On Jun 14, 2011
So just blank checks, essentially? Is this really the best way to lift people out of poverty? I dunno
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by Obiagu1(m): 7:37pm On Jun 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

So just blank checks, essentially? Is this really the best way to lift people out of poverty? I dunno

If 1,050 persons share N250 million, each will get N238,000.
Take away the N5,000 monthly pay for a year which is N60,000, each will end up with a bulk N178,000.

Not bad for a poor man who is not required to pay back the money, is it?
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by kasiem(m): 8:08pm On Jun 14, 2011
Obi i'd rather u stopped going to media houses to publicise ur works, we anambrarians knows that u're working. So, utilize all ur funds in achieving some hooking targets instead of profligating in media houses. Even if someone wants to advertise for u, tell that person to use the money in assuaging the dire needs of the state. All in all, u are our astute and able governor.
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by Kobojunkie: 8:12pm On Jun 14, 2011
He said although the beneficiaries were not required to refund the money, as funds were set aside for the implementation of the programme, they were expected to pay “income guarantee’’.
It seems these are loans -- not 'free' money or abi na tax dem mean. undecided
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jun 14, 2011
The In Care Of the People (COPE) is a poverty alleviation conditional grant scheme, funded by NAPEP (fed govt.) and cuts across about 30 states of the 36 states in Nigeria. NO COUNTERPART FUNDING FROM THE STATES! Obi tell us what you do with our money and stop taking glory for other people's efforts.

Propaganda will not help you this time!
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by Kobojunkie: 8:14pm On Jun 14, 2011
Ujujoan:

The In Care Of the People (COPE) is a poverty alleviation conditional grant scheme, funded by NAPEP (fed govt.) and cuts across about 30 states of the 36 states in Nigeria. NO COUNTERPART FUNDING FROM THE STATES! Obi tell us what you do with our money and stop taking glory for other people's efforts.

^^^^Chineke gozie gi  . . . gozie ezi na ulo gi!!!!

Mr VIPIT at it again ooo!!!! ROFL grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jun 14, 2011
@ Kj

Na wah for you and dis VIPTs sef! E don do na . .
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by chino11(m): 9:54pm On Jun 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

You are quite silly. You think Anambra is a poor rural state like your eketi Why not go and face your poverty ridden and cave yorroba states. Stupid yoorobas
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by ektbear: 2:55am On Jun 15, 2011
chino11:

You are quite silly. You think Anambra is a poor rural state like your eketi Why not go and face your poverty ridden and cave yorroba states. silly yoorobas

Dumb public policy is dumb public policy. With foolish policies like this, my "cave" state will soon catch up to whatever your state is. After all, my state is under competent management. . . yours doesn't appear to be.

Writing a check to random individuals as part of poverty alleviation is a bad idea, for a variety of reasons. Now if I find out it is some sort of plan for the elderly or some other class, then I might see some sense in it.
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by cjfavour(m): 5:25am On Jun 15, 2011
Have he started employing in d civil service?
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by chino11(m): 11:44am On Jun 15, 2011
ekt_bear:

Dumb public policy is dumb public policy. With foolish policies like this, my "cave" state will soon catch up to whatever your state is. After all, my state is under competent management. . . yours doesn't appear to be.

Writing a check to random individuals as part of poverty alleviation is a bad idea, for a variety of reasons. Now if I find out it is some sort of plan for the elderly or some other class, then I might see some sense in it.

I think this will help your start ignorance:

Okonjo-Iweala: Obi, Most Fiscally Responsible Governor

Add To Favorites
Print This Article
Post Comment

Managing Director of World Bank, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has described Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State as the most fiscally responsible governor in Nigeria.
This feat, she said, had enabled Obi to use public fund for public good ''which informs why there is need for Anambra people to rally round him so that the state can achieve its development objective''.
Okonjo-Iweala, who spoke at the weekend in Awka, the Anambra State capital, emphasised that “Obi is the most fiscally responsible governor in Nigeria. I discovered him when I was the Finance Minister. Then, my policy is that those who are fiscally responsible I would work with them.
''He is doing well, but people must be behind him. This is a state where there are so many industrialists and traders who are all over the world. So, all eyes are on you."
The World Bank MD, who delivered a keynote address entitled: “Anambra and the Role of Women” to mark this year’s Mothers’ Summit, the third in the series and preparatory to the yearly women August meeting, said she would continue to honour any invitation extended to her by the state government.
While describing Anambra people as hardworking who could survive without government, the former minister also charged women to work hard in order to achieve more.
"The message is come together, work together for the good of the state and the good of Nigeria,” she said.
Also speaking on the occasion, Obi announced that the state government had secured N100 million Faith Based Micro Credit to empower the women groups in the state.
According to him, everybody has the responsibility to make the state progress and not leaving everything to government.
He described women as the rock of the family system, saying “when there is a good family there will be a good society. There is a problem in our society and all should join hands to repair it.”
In her address, the state Commissioner for Women Affairs, Dr. (Mrs.) Ego Uzoezie, said Mothers’ Summit is the highest consultative interface between the state government and women leaders at the grass roots.
Uzoezie said: “Never in the history of the state have the hitherto vulnerable groups of women, children and the physically challenged persons been given an unhindered voice as in the Peter Obi administration. It was in furtherance of the inclusiveness’ philosophy of Anambra Integrated Development Strategy (ANIDS).
“We intend to strengthen the organizational frame work.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/8902/1/When-Onitsha-bustle-ceased-momentarily/Page1.html

Again don't insult us again by mentioning Anambra and eketi on same page, because the margin is too much. You can only compare ekti to other poor and dirty states of the southwest and maybe some from the north.
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by chino11(m): 11:44am On Jun 15, 2011
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by kasiem(m): 12:24pm On Jun 15, 2011
Chino, u are just wasting ur time. Dont u know that when someone raises this kind of arguement, the best gift u'll give to that person is to consult a psychiatrist for him.
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by Ofido(m): 1:39pm On Jun 15, 2011
No comment for u Peter Obi today, Aint got ur time, jst passing by,
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by ektbear: 3:44pm On Jun 15, 2011
You can get an endorsement from Jesus Christ and Mahatma Gandhi both. I don't give a damn. Dumb policy is dumb policy.

As if an article about "fiscally responsible" governor from 2009 is relevant today or to this topic.
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jun 15, 2011
^^ Who are u talking to?
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by ektbear: 4:48pm On Jun 15, 2011
Is it not clear from context that I was responding to chino11?
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by Nobody: 4:52pm On Jun 15, 2011
My bad, u got me confused, but refer to next time
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by nekkynancy: 4:59pm On Jun 15, 2011
Wonder shall never end.so this is how the 349.04 billion shared between fed,state and local govt will just enter voice mall.share the money.wen did APGA become PDP?but wait why will a responsible govt be sharing money wen they is no employment in the state.i guez the 1050 family must be from, ,wait again this una caretaker committee syndrom partianing your local govt adim&affiars,does it mine there is no capable graduates or personnel to handle this affiars tru election,i think anambra local govt does not recognize democrasy,it clear.but i heard EAST hav higher educated personel than anyother part in the country. Anambrarians,wake up and stop decieving us.
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by freepeople: 5:06pm On Jun 15, 2011
We can't wait for 2013 to throw this joker, his party and their rotten policies out. I weep by the fact that the most industrious people in Nigeria have been reduce to the status of beggars. Thereby lending the Anambrarians to ridicule from other Nigerians. We don't need economic outpatient care. Provide the basic amenities for the people and the people will fend for themselves.
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by freepeople: 5:08pm On Jun 15, 2011
We can't wait for 2013 to throw this joker, his party and their rotten policies out. I weep by the fact that the most industrious people in Nigeria have been reduce to the status of beggars. Thereby lending the Anambrarians to ridicule from other Nigerians. We don't need economic outpatient care. Provide the basic amenities for the people and the people will fend for themselves.
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by Lordrama: 5:35pm On Jun 15, 2011
aother way to eat Gov Money EFCC Open your eyes on Obi
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by aloyemeka1: 8:48pm On Jun 15, 2011
Ujujoan:

What happened to the share in other states?. In their governors pockets?. Did Osun state receive the NAPEP funds?.
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by Obiagu1(m): 10:27pm On Jun 15, 2011
aloy/emeka:

What happened to the share in other states?. In their governors pockets?. Did Osun state receive the NAPEP funds?.

Good question.
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by ak47mann(m): 12:08am On Jun 16, 2011
people should know that anambra state generates billions in monthly internal revenue onitsha main market which is the biggest in west Africa former local govt chairman onitsha north his late now but main market was under onitsha north local govt there are thousands of shops in main market.The place is massive Now do the maths they have loads of different sections and each sections have their own accounts were they pay there tax every month.Man! go to govt office enter chairman office you will see behind his back their is a black board they will have the names of each section lined up. if you see how much local govt collect from this guys it runs to billions am not even talking about nkpor new parts onitsha south local govt massive as well or head bridge this is just onitsha not to talk of nnewi cool cool
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by igboboy1(m): 12:56am On Jun 16, 2011
Damn what the hell happened to ekt bear the tribalist (my brother in arms, me being #1 tribalist on nairaland)? he is sounding logical all of a sudden na wa o,,
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by ektbear: 4:05am On Jun 16, 2011
Heh, you and I are no sort of brothers, relations or relatives. Not even metaphorically.
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by igboboy1(m): 7:01am On Jun 16, 2011
We are whether u like it or not, it is by force
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by kasiem(m): 7:08am On Jun 16, 2011
Igbo boy this ur signature fit cause riotoooo
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by igboboy1(m): 7:17am On Jun 16, 2011
kasiem:

Igbo boy this your signature fit cause riotoooo

Nwoke'm the signature obu achi? O' so'so eziokwu i dey yan, Sit back reason am, think am and you go see say e make sense
Re: Anambra Govt Empowers 1,050 Persons With N250m by ak47mann(m): 12:02pm On Jun 16, 2011
igbo boy:

Nwoke'm the signature obu achi? O' so'so eziokwu i dey yan, Sit back reason am, think am and you go see say e make sense
signature gi a dikwa very funny grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ibb's Health Troubles North / Awolowo Killed Unity In Nigeria, Igbos Deserve Apology / Why I Did Not Submit My Certificates To INEC – Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.