Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,805 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

Your First Hit Job - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Your First Hit Job (1065 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your First Hit Job by Iambro(m): 3:17pm On Dec 21, 2021
Hi programmers, can you please share how you got your first hit job that probably changed your life.

I have learnt web development for 3yrs now and very comfortable with but finding job isn't easy maybe probably I'm not doing it the right way.

So can you share your experience with me. Thanks
Re: Your First Hit Job by emielect: 3:57pm On Dec 21, 2021
As a programmer , u don't wait for job rather you create it, I just designed a hotel management software then showcase it to some hotel managers in my town, about four pick interest. With this I have some money.
Re: Your First Hit Job by Iambro(m): 4:55pm On Dec 21, 2021
emielect:
As a programmer , u don't wait for job rather you create it, I just designed a hotel management software then showcase it to some hotel managers in my town, about four pick interest. With this I have some money.
Nice idea
I will try this too
Re: Your First Hit Job by Demsy113: 4:56pm On Dec 21, 2021
demsy2580 I will try this out..
Re: Your First Hit Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:26pm On Dec 21, 2021
How many jobs have you applied to so far? How many interviews have you attended? How does your CV look like?
Re: Your First Hit Job by airsaylongcome: 5:47pm On Dec 21, 2021
T
Re: Your First Hit Job by airsaylongcome: 5:49pm On Dec 21, 2021
emielect:

So I work remote and run side jobs like this. Given that you already have the solution, how do you go about chasing clients to use your solution vs them getting an already established solution
Re: Your First Hit Job by Supreme145(m): 6:06pm On Dec 21, 2021
Getting that first job is kinda difficult especially for us in Africa most guys abroad get a job before the 50th application. I've even lost count of the number of applications I've sent out this month, I'm sure it's well over 200 with limited success though I'm using the scatter gun approach shaa. Na to just keep trying
Re: Your First Hit Job by olarrtt: 6:19pm On Dec 21, 2021
Just to share my opinion
After tins of YouTube watching on tech guys i found out that the most effective and efficient way is to link up with recruiters.( Home and abroad).
Am just starting out ,in my 2nd year but i also found that it makes sense. So many people are applying for the same role which means tons of resume to be seen and it's gets filtered easily.
So approach recruiters or friends that work in a company to help you get your CV get seen by hiring managers.
Also please get to know all your data structures and algorithms. Grind leetcode questions
I believe the future is bright.
Don't forget to put business solution projects in your portfolio.
All the best sirs

1 Like

Re: Your First Hit Job by Kaodiri15: 7:23pm On Dec 21, 2021
For you to have treaded this path,it means you are/were creative.

You have to first of all identify what small and large scale business owners need in relation to you line of work.
Re: Your First Hit Job by jesmond3945: 10:33pm On Dec 21, 2021
Supreme145:
Getting that first job is kinda difficult especially for us in Africa most guys abroad get a job before the 50th application. I've even lost count of the number of applications I've sent out this month, I'm sure it's well over 200 with limited success though I'm using the scatter gun approach shaa. Na to just keep trying
i think you are into front end development and is very much saturated. Being a full stack will land you more
Re: Your First Hit Job by Supreme145(m): 11:02pm On Dec 21, 2021
jesmond3945:
i think you are into front end development and is very much saturated. Being a full stack will land you more
I'm working towards that just that I need a job in the mean time hence the applications.
Re: Your First Hit Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:28am On Dec 22, 2021
jesmond3945:

Front-end is not saturated at all. That's a very fat lie. It's really funny when I hear this and it's so hard to find good front-end Devs. If front-end is your thing stick to it. Full stack is too much for a junior Dev to handle and no serious company will ever let you work as a full stack engineer.

You can't be full stack as a junior developer forget it. Being really full stack comes from years of software engineering experience

Full stack

Front-end and all its related technologies.

Backend

Databases

Cloud infrastructure.

There are people whose job is just dealing with databases. People's whose only job is dealing with cloud infrastructure. You need to host and scale your app somewhere. To be really full stack you need to know all of that. How will a junior Dev know it?

5 Likes

Re: Your First Hit Job by Nobody: 7:30am On Dec 22, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Front-end is not saturated at all. That's a very fat lie. It's really funny when I hear this and it's so hard to find good front-end Devs. If front-end is your thing stick to it. Full stack is too much for a junior Dev to handle and no serious company will ever let you work as a full stack engineer.

You can't be full stack as a junior developer forget it. Being really full stack comes from years of software engineering experience

Full stack

Backend

Databases

Cloud infrastructure.

There are people whose job is just dealing with databases. People's whose only job is dealing with cloud infrastructure. You need to host and scale your app somewhere. To be really full stack you need to know all of that. How will a junior Dev know it?

According to a reply from a dev on quora, frontend is unsaturated because it was highly underrated, like he graduated in 2017 and more than 70% of his mate focuses on backend, believing that frontend is less challenging.
Re: Your First Hit Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:45am On Dec 22, 2021
AdeOri99:

According to a reply from a dev on quora, frontend is unsaturated because it was highly underrated, like he graduated in 2017 and more than 70% of his mate focuses on backend, believing that frontend is less challenging.
Many of them saying this can't even containerise their html and they say front-end is saturated. Let them build binance or Coinbase frontend na If E easy. Look at how horrible websites in Nigeria look inclusive of government sites and someone says front-end is saturated. Only a few startups like paystacks and flutterwaves have presentable frontends and that's cause they go out of the way to hire frontend engineers.

1 Like

Re: Your First Hit Job by jesmond3945: 8:36am On Dec 22, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Full stack

Backend

Databases

Cloud infrastructure.

go to LinkedIn and check out job requirements they expect junior developer to know all these. Nevertheless, when I mean saturated , I am talking of their country men who have been coding since primary school by the time they leave University they would fill all these entry level roles.
Re: Your First Hit Job by jesmond3945: 8:37am On Dec 22, 2021
Supreme145:

I'm working towards that just that I need a job in the mean time hence the applications.
i hope your cv is good and your LinkedIn profile is good as well.
Re: Your First Hit Job by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:13am On Dec 22, 2021
jesmond3945:
go to LinkedIn and check out job requirements they expect junior developer to know all these. Nevertheless, when I mean saturated , I am talking of their country men who have been coding since primary school by the time they leave University they would fill all these entry level roles.
It doesn't work that way. Despite that the whites have been coding since primary school there's still a very large tech shortage in their respective countries. If they had enough coders why would they hire remote workers? Why would they sponsor people from other countries to come work in theirs if they had more than enough coders.

What you should know is that the fact that everyone is coding does not mean that everyone is going to make a software engineering out of it. Take a look at driving, whites start driving from 16 their own cars o yet still there's still a huge truck driver shortage. If everyone can drive, why do they have those problems?

Besides as for LinkedIn. Job requirements are a wishlist. Never ever take them serious.

5 Likes

Re: Your First Hit Job by jesmond3945: 9:21am On Dec 22, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

It doesn't work that way. Despite that the whites have been coding since primary school there's still a very large tech shortage in their respective countries. If they had enough coders why would they hire remote workers? Why would they sponsor people from other countries to come work in theirs if they had more than enough coders.

What you should know is that the fact that everyone is coding does not mean that everyone is going to make a software engineering out of it. Take a look at driving, whites start driving from 16 their own cars o yet still there's still a huge truck driver shortage. If everyone can drive, why do they have those problems?

Besides as for LinkedIn. Job requirements are a wishlist. Never ever take them serious.
i see. Anyway may God open more doors. Thanks for your heads up.

1 Like

Re: Your First Hit Job by Nobody: 9:34am On Dec 22, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Many of them saying this can't even containerise their html and they say front-end is saturated. Let them build binance or Coinbase frontend na If E easy. Look at how horrible websites in Nigeria look inclusive of government sites and someone says front-end is saturated. Only a few startups like paystacks and flutterwaves have presentable frontends and that's cause they go out of the way to hire frontend engineers.

I'm fully delving into web development next year, and I shall start with front end.

I also had an interest in data science and AI, and I got an offer that allows me to learn and earn at the same time, quite a perk.

1 Like

Re: Your First Hit Job by Supreme145(m): 10:28am On Dec 22, 2021
AdeOri99:

I'm fully delving into web development next year, and I shall start with front end.

I also had an interest in data science and AI, and I got an offer that allows me to learn and earn at the same time, quite a perk.
Where una dey see all these offers
Re: Your First Hit Job by Nobody: 11:28am On Dec 22, 2021
Supreme145:

Where una dey sees all these offers

I don't apply for it, I just got the mail from an organization that view my profile on github
Re: Your First Hit Job by dauddy97(m): 12:20pm On Dec 22, 2021
Did some machine learning project for a Nairaland based in Germany for three good months. The salary was cool and it's just once in a week we do meet to submit any given task. She's actually doing per PGD in a German university.
Re: Your First Hit Job by Gentleman001: 1:37pm On Dec 22, 2021
AdeOri99:

How do you go about this. I just finished taking data science course and seeking for an offer.Can hint me about this package
Re: Your First Hit Job by Nobody: 2:12pm On Dec 22, 2021
Gentleman001:

How do you go about this. I just finished taking data science course and seeking for an offer.Can hint me about this package

Send me a message.

Note: you must have a Github profile

(1) (Reply)

Opinion: Computer Engineering Or Computer Science In 2022 / Please How Do I Convert My Power Bi Visual Dashboards To Images For Power Point / Ai Books

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.