Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,619 members, 7,816,550 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session (6388 Views)

Senate Forced Into Emergency Closed-door Session As Ndume Stages Walkout Of Plen / Senate Forced Into Closed Door Meeting Over Ministerial Nominees. / Senate Goes Into Closed Session Over Ministerial List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by Kwanza: 11:20am On Dec 22, 2021
SENATORS have dissolved into a closed-door session to deliberate on the letter of President Muhammadu Buhari and take a position on the withholding of assent to the 2021 Electoral Act Amendment bill.

Soon after the Senate resumed plenary Wednesday, the President of the Senate, Senator Ahmad Lawan at 10.36 called for an Executive session.

Apparently out to override President Buhari’s veto on the Electoral Act Amendment bill, the machines at the hallowed Chamber have already been tested to ascertain whether or not they are working and the board showed clearly that the machines are in good order.

President Muhammadu Buhari had on Tuesday written the Senate and the House of Representatives, withholding assent to the 2021 Electoral Act Amendment bill that was passed by the National Assembly.

President Buhari in the letter withheld assent to the bill citing the imposition of Direct primaries as approved by the National Assembly, the National Assembly for picking candidates by political parties in the amended Electoral Act as a violation of the spirit of democracy.

According to Buhari, with Direct primaries, there will be a plethora of litigation from party members and stakeholders, just as he said that allowing the process would fuel corruption as well as encourage over monetization.

He also said that he was withholding assent to the Bill based on Direct primaries because it would cause a huge financial burden on political parties, the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, the economy and security agencies, adding that the process is undemocratic.

President Buhari’s position was conveyed in a letter addressed to both the President of the Senate, Senator Ahmad Lawan and the Speaker, House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila and read during the start of plenary yesterday.

President Buhari in the letter dated December 13, 2021, explained that his decision to withhold assent to the electoral bill was informed by advice from relevant Ministries, Departments and Agencies of Government after a thorough review.

According to the President, signing the bill into law would have serious adverse legal, financial, economic and security consequences on the country, particularly in view of Nigeria’s peculiarities.

He added that it would also impact negatively the rights of citizens to participate in the government as constitutionally ensured.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/12/breaking-electoral-bill-senators-dissolve-into-closed-door-session/

Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by RobsonsTARz: 11:25am On Dec 22, 2021
You mean the rubber stamp senates?

8 Likes

Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by JovialJune(f): 11:28am On Dec 22, 2021
Why are they all capitalising on the direct primary issue and using it as an excuse? Bubu the fool think say e wise, they should remove the direct primary clause and represent it to the foolish man let him sign the e-voting system and amended electoral bill, we need to progress from the stupid archaic way of voting that uses under age voters to their advantage.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by SecretReporter(f): 11:29am On Dec 22, 2021
3rd to comment, as part of my lifestyle in appreciating my little effort, I want to thank EVERYONE who made me third to comment, I know I will get to first to comment some day, on behalf of my team, I say GOD love u all

2 Likes

Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by slivertongue: 11:29am On Dec 22, 2021
A Christmas dinner in Aso Rock will force them to back down

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by seunmsg(m): 11:30am On Dec 22, 2021
Senators across party lines are more desperate to retain the Direct primary provision in the electoral act so i won't be surprised if they get the required numbers. The challenge will be getting the required numbers in the House of Reps. We are waiting to see how events unfold.

3 Likes

Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by Nobody: 11:30am On Dec 22, 2021
politithiefians
Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by Frestuffng: 11:30am On Dec 22, 2021
Ok
Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by benikad(m): 11:30am On Dec 22, 2021
Z
Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by elmessiahs(m): 11:30am On Dec 22, 2021
Rubber stamp duty grin
Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by Maxymilliano(m): 11:30am On Dec 22, 2021
A live TV where every Senator and member of the House of Representatives will stand up and make his position publicly clear is the only way to save the electoral Bill.

Close door session can only help cowards to kill it.

Senator Sheu Sani

2 Likes

Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by OmodavidoX(m): 11:30am On Dec 22, 2021
Okay
Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by slivertongue: 11:30am On Dec 22, 2021
Unnecessary drama for from governors errand boys
Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by Thesaint141(m): 11:31am On Dec 22, 2021
RobsonsTARz:
You mean the rubber stamp senates?

Yes oo.
Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by Clevho: 11:32am On Dec 22, 2021
SecretReporter:
3rd to comment, as part of my lifestyle in appreciating my little effort, I want to thank EVERYONE who made me third to comment, I know I will get to first to comment some day, on behalf of my team, I say GOD love u all
Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by espn(m): 11:32am On Dec 22, 2021
So?
Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by Stevenson20: 11:32am On Dec 22, 2021
Toothless bulldogs fighting for their pockets.

I pray they succeed shaa cos it will be a great turning point.

1 Like

Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by FreeStuffsNG: 11:32am On Dec 22, 2021
It's their prerogative. I honestly don't think it's a big deal if in this instance they choose to override the President who seem to be held captive by advice from unelected appointees.
If not challenged, my displeasure is in the manner it would have taken the opinion of an obviously partisan but unelected Mr Malami to breach their constitutional legislative rights.

1 Like

Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by BlaqJosh: 11:32am On Dec 22, 2021
Hmm. Let wait and see what will happen
Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by Ochoiho: 11:32am On Dec 22, 2021
If the Senators can pull this through, Tinubu has lost his grip on Lagos.
This will be the game changer for election in Nigeria.
But can they? We'll and see

2 Likes

Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by Nobody: 11:33am On Dec 22, 2021
Nothing meaningful will come out of the meeting
Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by seyz91(m): 11:33am On Dec 22, 2021
cheesy

You garrit
slivertongue:
A dinner in Aso Rock will force them to back down
Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by nuele(m): 11:33am On Dec 22, 2021
I agree with the presidency on this matter. I suspect vote buying will trouble the compulsory direct primary aspect.
Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by slivertongue: 11:33am On Dec 22, 2021
seunmsg:
Senators are more desperate to retain the Direct primary provision so i won't be surprised if they get the required numbers. The challenge will be getting the required numbers in the House of Reps. We are waiting to see how events unfold.

They may have their way at the NASS but the challenge is the states cos the party and foot soldiers are in the pocket of the governors

1 Like

Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by Zainabthegirl1(f): 11:34am On Dec 22, 2021
Hmm
Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by IMASTEX: 11:34am On Dec 22, 2021
Op you intentionally used the word dissolve. Doesn't it mean to dissolve money to dissolve the bill.
Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by Nobody: 11:36am On Dec 22, 2021
I am with the senators.

The executives;The Governors and the president showed knew the direct primaries won't favor them...it means end of their handpicking, empire,bulling and fatherism.

Any youth can be candidate.
Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by janedonez(m): 11:37am On Dec 22, 2021
Tuo
Re: Electoral Bill: Senators Dissolve Into Closed-door Session by money121(m): 11:37am On Dec 22, 2021
Ok

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Exclusive: Amaechi To Head Buhari’s Cabinet As SGF, Ngige, Fashola... / Breaking: Fuel Now #57(Buhari Is Working) / Is Olusola Saraki Curse Responsible For His Son's Trial.....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.