Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,701 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:48 PM

Shatta Wale Has A Problem And It Isn't Nigerian Artistes - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Shatta Wale Has A Problem And It Isn't Nigerian Artistes (644 Views)

The Devil Does Have A Bloodline It Isn't Just Biblical It's Real / Bobrisky’s Real Look Exposed As He Steps Out For An Event & It Isn't Nice At All / Orezi Rocks New Hairstyle, Warns Nigerian Artistes Not To Copy It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shatta Wale Has A Problem And It Isn't Nigerian Artistes by postmosaic: 7:10pm On Jan 01, 2022
If you are active on social media then you already know about the fire of envy, disunity and xenophobia that Ghana's Shatta Wale has started. At his sold out concert in Ghana, Shatta said:
“They said I won’t be able to fill my own stadiums, I don’t need any Nigerian artiste to sell out Ghana’s stadium, f++k Nigerian artistes”.

This unwarranted proclamation did not end there either as Shatta went on to make a series of provocative posts on Twitter. His fans of course, threw their weight behind him and joined in the irrational dragging of Nigerian artistes and trust Nigerians to not let it slide.
Another Ghanaian artiste, Stonebwoy, made a lengthy social media post buttressing the point Shatta allegedly, was hoping to make, which is: "Nigerians do not support Ghanaian artistes".

Like other Nigerians, i was upset at this pointless jab taken at innocent Nigerian artistes but on second thought, maybe Shatta Wale is unaware of how things really work.

Music is "business"

Music is entertainment to some of us but for others, it is their craft, their career, and failure to treat is as such is equivalent to a surgeon not following guidelines during operations. Everybody involved in the music process invests resources and hard work to produce what the audience wants to hear. Anything short of that is a loss for almost every party involved. While the music creation process is important, so is the post-creation aspect.
It is embarrassingly arrogant to expect your music will blow up across borders without valuable promotion. Music promotion is extremely important to the popularity and potential success of any track.

I remember an interview with Reminisce, where he talked about his journey to stardom. He said he would shoot a new music video with the proceeds from each show he attended. Now that's a man who truly understood the ideals of the industry even when he was just starting out.

Shows are "business"
Some people invest lots of money into organising shows and like any business at all, the motive is to make profit. This explains why only the rave of the moment headline such shows and this isn't even peculiar to the Nigerian entertainment industry either, it is a global phenomenon. People will only turn up in their numbers for someone they admire, someone whose music is popping at the moment.
This isn't rocket science, if people don't know or do not find any appeal in your music, they won't pay a penny to attend a show you are headlining.
If people refuse to buy show tickets, organisers are either forced to sell at a loss or risk having an empty hall which certainly won't prevent the artiste from getting paid the agreed fee. So whose account will this bad debt be charged to?

Shows, except otherwise stated, are not for charity, they are someone's investment expected to yield profit and except you are an artiste with trending music that the locals can dance and sing along to, except attaching your face to a flier can make ticket sales skyrocket and yield organisers profit, you won't be booked for a show.

Size
Nigeria's entertainment industry is massive. This isn't anything to express shock at because i mean, our population is estimated at approximately two hundred million (200, 000, 000) and it is only logical to assume that talents are scattered across the length and breadth of the country. It is difficult to keep pace with the number of artistes that are emerging. In the past three years, for example, we have had

Tems
Joeboy
Fireboy DML
Lojay
Ayra Starr
Fave
Omah Lay
Ruger
Rema
Bella Shmurda
Ckay
Buju
Superboy Cheque
Victony
Ladipoe
Mohbad
Zinolesky

These are the mainstream artistes i could remember off the top of my head at the time of writing this post but i am sure there are more Nigerians putting in effort and doing just as well. Now imagine how many are underground and haven't made it onto the big scene yet.

The Nigerian music industry is very competitive and even fellow Nigerians don't get handed things on a silver platter so it is rather disappointing that someone of Shatta Wale's professed standing will go on a social media rampage acting like an entitled teenager, encouraging his fans to do the same.
Re: Shatta Wale Has A Problem And It Isn't Nigerian Artistes by postmosaic: 7:12pm On Jan 01, 2022
Hypocrisy
Nigeria's entertainment industry is big and growing exponentially and one of the reasons why this is so is because the current crop of artistes at the top are ready to take new talents under their tutelage and show them the ropes. Rema and Ladipoe are signed to Don Jazzy's Mavin Records, Fireboy DML is signed to Olamide's YBNL, Joeboy is signed to Mr Eazi's emPawa Africa, Superboy Cheque is signed to Phyno's PentHauze Record Label.
Some of the well established artistes we have in Nigeria are/were signed to other artistes record labels at a point. Adekunle Gold (YBNL), Mayorkun (DMW), Reekado Banks (Mavin Records) are worthy examples.
Correct me if I am wrong but I doubt something similar is obtainable in Ghana's music industry so it is just a little hypocritical to expect support from across the border when y'all can't even support each other.

Pride
Seems to me like this one is a major issue. Justin Bieber liked Wizkid's Essence and asked to be a part of it, Ed Sheeran loved Peru and reached out to Fireboy. What stops Ghanaian artistes from reaching out to Nigerian artistes for collaborations? You find someone who makes something you can fit into, reach out to them. Take advantage of the collaboration to reach their audience and create an impression in their minds. It's not even a big deal! Every content creator does collaborations, ask Youtubers.

Even the bible says:
"Ask and it shall be given".
How are Nigerian artistes supposed to know that you are interested in breaking into the Nigerian music industry if you don't reach out to them and make your intention known? How are Nigerians supposed to know your music if you don't promote it in our country or at least run targeted ads to create awareness?
Even Portable knew how far a collaboration would take him and we see how it has worked for him so far.

Finally, i think Shatta Wale's sense of entitlement is irritating. Nigeria and Ghana are two sovereign nations so for him (and some of his fans) to think hurling insults at Nigerians will earn him support in form of airplay is quite interesting to say the least, hilarious if we are being factual. His fifteen minutes of being infamous will be over soon and i hope it will be worth it.

www.postmosaic..com
Re: Shatta Wale Has A Problem And It Isn't Nigerian Artistes by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jan 01, 2022
doesnt concern me
Re: Shatta Wale Has A Problem And It Isn't Nigerian Artistes by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jan 01, 2022
May be publicity for a new project

1 Like

Re: Shatta Wale Has A Problem And It Isn't Nigerian Artistes by lkillbrokehoes: 7:32pm On Jan 01, 2022
Shattered wale that portable is bigger than? nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: Shatta Wale Has A Problem And It Isn't Nigerian Artistes by Hintona(f): 8:13pm On Jan 01, 2022
He wanted to trend and Nigerians gave him the attention he wanted.

2 Likes

Re: Shatta Wale Has A Problem And It Isn't Nigerian Artistes by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jan 01, 2022
Hintona:
He wanted to trend and Nigerians gave him the attention he wanted.
Exactly.
Re: Shatta Wale Has A Problem And It Isn't Nigerian Artistes by SportsHD: 9:06pm On Jan 01, 2022
I actually like shatta wale songs. Even though he seems like he has a problem handling fame. He's always in one trouble or the other, chasing clout on irrelevant topics. Still, his music was appealing to my ears and I liked his music.

His rant on Twitter was nothing short of envy and entitlement mentality. Nigeria had many collaborations with international artistes the year, sold out international concerts and put Nigeria on the entertainment map.

The thing about music is, good music sells itself. The Ghanian artistes are already hoping on this new drill genre and I find it amazing, appealing to my ears. I have multiple songs from Ghanian drill artistes like yaw tog, black sheriff, kwesi Arthur and the rest.

I believe that this new genre is going to push the new generation Ghanian artistes to the world map. Even though it has already started.

Las las, shatta wale just wants to trend.
He has done songs with davido, Burnaboy. I can't even start to cap the amount of collaboration songs between naija and Ghanian artistes, which I even know.

If he didn't shoot himself today for clout, tomorrow, he would be bashing someone on Twitter. Old man behaving like a youngin.

Tragic, just tragic.

1 Like

Re: Shatta Wale Has A Problem And It Isn't Nigerian Artistes by postmosaic: 7:22am On Jan 02, 2022
SportsHD:
I actually like shatta wale songs. Even though he seems like he has a problem handling fame. He's always in one trouble or the other, chasing clout on irrelevant topics. Still, his music was appealing to my ears and I liked his music.

His rant on Twitter was nothing short of envy and entitlement mentality. Nigeria had many collaborations with international artistes the year, sold out international concerts and put Nigeria on the entertainment map.

The thing about music is, good music sells itself. The Ghanian artistes are already hoping on this new drill genre and I find it amazing, appealing to my ears. I have multiple songs from Ghanian drill artistes like yaw tog, black sheriff, kwesi Arthur and the rest.

I believe that this new genre is going to push the new generation Ghanian artistes to the world map. Even though it has already started.

He has done songs with davido, Burnaboy. I can't even start to cap the amount of collaboration songs between naija and Ghanian artistes, which I even know.

If he didn't shoot himself today for clout, tomorrow, he would be bashing someone on Twitter. Old man behaving like a youngin.

Tragic, just tragic.

I don't know his songs but like you said, good music sells itself. He should make good music and do more promotion instead of fighting everybody.
Re: Shatta Wale Has A Problem And It Isn't Nigerian Artistes by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jan 02, 2022
SportsHD:

Tragic, just tragic.

He has been on this pointless fight for almost a week now. Very tragic indeed.

(1) (Reply)

Femi Otedola And Mums Emotional Dance As She Turns 90 / BB Liquorose Allegedly Dumped Emmanuel Because He Cheated On Her (details) / Revelation About Eve Barlow And Amber Heard's Relationship.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.