Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,690 members, 7,813,280 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:08 AM

Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller (11029 Views)

Ronaldo Scores 2 Penalties As Juventus Come From Behind To Draw Atalanta At Home / Nigeria Knock Out AFCON Holders Cameroon In Thriller / Luis Suarez Slams Barcelona Teammates After Defeat To Liverpool In The Champions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by MANNABBQGRILLS: 11:54pm On Jan 02, 2022
Chelsea came from two goals down to earn a draw with Liverpool in a Stamford Bridge classic - a result that only strengthens Manchester City's stranglehold on the Premier League title race.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp missed the game after a suspected positive test for Covid-19 while Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel dropped £97.5m record signing Romelu Lukaku from his squad after a controversial interview in which he expressed discontent with his current situation.

It looked like Klopp would be the happier of the two bosses when Sadio Mane, fortunate to escape with only a yellow card after flattening Cesar Azpilicueta with a high elbow in the opening seconds, pounced on Trevoh Chalobah's mistake to put Liverpool in front after nine minutes.

Mohamed Salah's moment of individual genius, a feint to fool Marcos Alonso then a perfect near-post finish, put Liverpool in command before Chelsea staged their comeback on the stroke of half-time.

Mateo Kovacic's spectacular volley flew beyond Liverpool keeper Caoimhin Kelleher, in for Alisson who also had a suspected positive test for Covid, after 42 minutes before Christian Pulisic raced clear to equalise in first-half stoppage time.

In a hugely entertaining game, both sides had chances to win in the second half with Chelsea keeper Edouard Mendy saving superbly from Salah and Mane while Kelleher thwarted Pulisic.

A winner could not be found, which leaves Chelsea, in second, 10 points behind City while Liverpool, in third, are 11 adrift of the leaders with a game in hand.

Tuchel's decision to drop Lukaku from his squad for such a vital game was always going to be a high-risk strategy given the stakes.

Was Tuchel showing strong leadership and imposing discipline or was he using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, weakening Chelsea in his determination to lay down the law?

It looked for 42 minutes like Tuchel's ploy would backfire as Liverpool's lethal attack punished Chelsea and Stamford Bridge was in subdued mood with the home team struggling to make an impact.

Suddenly, spectacularly, the game turned around in those decisive moments before half-time and while Tuchel did not get the three points that would have answered all the questions about his decision, there was no doubting Chelsea's spirit and determination because many sides would have gone under with Liverpool in such an imposing position.

Chelsea dragged their way back into the game, although three points was really the required result with Manchester City seemingly on such an unstoppable roll.

Tuchel will now, presumably, reintegrate Lukaku into his squad and try to get the best out of a striker who was supposed to be Chelsea's missing link when he arrived back at the club from Inter Milan in the summer.

The title now looks a far-off prospect but there is still plenty to play for - and both Chelsea and Tuchel will hope Lukaku can play a major part in their pursuit of silverware.

Frustration for Liverpool as lead squandered.

Liverpool, with Pep Lijnders in charge, were without three key players with Joel Matip and Roberto Firmino joining Alisson in returning suspected positive Covid tests.

Despite the absences, they looked on course for a vital victory when they raced into that 2-0 lead - and while a draw at Chelsea is hardly a huge setback, the bottom line is they will know they squandered a position of authority in this game.

Their measure of command was never total in such a frantic, high-quality match, but they will be furious at how they allowed Chelsea back into the game in those closing minutes of the first half.

Liverpool's second-choice goalkeeper Kelleher, 23, can be rightly satisfied with his performance as deputy for Alisson, making two fine saves from Pulisic and exuding an air of calm command that marks him out as someone of huge promise.

Klopp and Lijnders will wonder whether it was wise for Liverpool to leave the game so wide open with that vital advantage and Chelsea chasing the game with an air of desperation. They will question their own game management.

Liverpool still carried real danger until the final whistle but they were unable to beat the excellent Mendy and will now look back on two away games at Leicester City and Chelsea in which they picked up only one point - something which may prove very costly in a title race which would appear to have little or no margin for error.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59792567

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by MANNABBQGRILLS: 11:55pm On Jan 02, 2022
What an interesting game of football ⚽️ kiss

Chelsea and Liverpool could simply not be separated.

No winners at the end of the latest contender for the Premier League's game of the season as both sets of players sagged under the weight of their excursions at the final whistle.

Is the title race over?
Of course it isn't, not with so many points to play for and the propensity for unpredictability that can often accompany the Premier League.

Look at the table, however, and it is clear both Chelsea and Liverpool - the only serious rivals to the reigning champions - are looking up an increasingly steep hill if they wish to snatch the crown away from MANCHESTER City.

Cc : BF

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by MICKZYDONALDNEW: 11:57pm On Jan 02, 2022
The comeback really surprised me

I sell FB. IG. TWITTER accounts, check signature to contact me

6 Likes

Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by WhiteIverson: 12:03am On Jan 03, 2022
Something Man United always did for fun last season

3 Likes

Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by MANNABBQGRILLS: 12:04am On Jan 03, 2022
MICKZYDONALDNEW:

It surprised everyone watching.
An interesting game twas!

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by Mko123(m): 6:46am On Jan 03, 2022
Oshi!!!!
Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by ILoveDemMANNA: 6:46am On Jan 03, 2022
Congratulations to dem MANNA, my online role models and mentors.

Up Chelsea, coming from a Madrid Fan

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by oluseyiforjesus(m): 6:46am On Jan 03, 2022
Oma se oo
Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by LibertyRep: 6:46am On Jan 03, 2022
You don't have to be a Chelsea fan of admirer.

But you have to give it to their indomitable spirit, especially in their backyard.

They always fight to the end, on the norms.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by EmekaBlue(m): 6:47am On Jan 03, 2022
I'm still wondering how Mo Salah same dude that struggled at Chelsea back then is now like Barcelona Messi. That guy dey ball die as in he can dribble,give good accurate passes....his left shot is almost accurate all the time.

Meanwhile Kovacic goal should be a contender goal of the season

68 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by Victorclean1: 6:49am On Jan 03, 2022
Vgood and very bad. The negative energy of buhari and blood if innocenct people killed by his kinsmen will never bring the cup to Nigeria.

In vgood side, the prayers of great men of God will definitely try to bring the trophy, but the demon owns the earth which the Bihari is a serious member
Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by Mko123(m): 6:51am On Jan 03, 2022
A
Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by Taiwojon(m): 6:53am On Jan 03, 2022
Mannaq with Chelsea

Just like mannaq with buhari.

Anyway
Mannaq your sins is forgiven, I forgive you even though you promote buhari and make the country dey like this.

Kudos to Chelsea Sha.
There is hope for arsenal after the daylight robbery of Man City.

Away from that.
Jesus love everyone just like he loves mannaq and gave himself for us.

Repent from your sins, come to Jesus and he will give you peace of mind

Jesus saves

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by Arizonaz: 6:58am On Jan 03, 2022
They made my Sunday a memorable one

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by Mercury12(m): 7:02am On Jan 03, 2022
Good game. Shutout to all Chelsea fans

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by COvo(m): 7:03am On Jan 03, 2022
A wonderful result for Manchester City ��.

I've got a good feeling they'll be winning their 4th title come May ❤️�

3 Likes

Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by funsho75(m): 7:11am On Jan 03, 2022
One thing I enjoyed about the game in the second half was the fact that chelsea was able to understand and off Salah Sadio Mane

Liverpool understand that chelsea has mack out their main attacks... They change the game also to a midfield game..

And get hold of the game back �

But Chelsea attackers need to be more aggressive...

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by Ojikutumomiage(m): 7:11am On Jan 03, 2022
MICKZYDONALDNEW:

IG with 50k followers?
Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by sommy03(m): 7:14am On Jan 03, 2022
Be convincing yourself and beating your chest...as far as football is concerned, this title is over. Manchester city for the crown tongue
post=109030156:
What an interesting game of football ⚽️ kiss

Chelsea and Liverpool could simply not be separated.

No winners at the end of the latest contender for the Premier League's game of the season as both sets of players sagged under the weight of their excursions at the final whistle.

Is the title race over?
Of course it isn't, not with so many points to play for and the propensity for unpredictability that can often accompany the Premier League.

Look at the table, however, and it is clear both Chelsea and Liverpool - the only serious rivals to the reigning champions - are looking up an increasingly steep hill if they wish to snatch the crown away from MANCHESTER City.

Cc : BF

2 Likes

Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by Quincy2236: 7:18am On Jan 03, 2022
Akwaaba It's a great site to reach Ghanaian audience.

Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by Ropostic120(m): 7:30am On Jan 03, 2022
MAN CITY Don win this league already
sommy03:
Be convincing yourself and beating your chest...as far as football is concerned, this title is over. Manchester city for the crown tongue

1 Like

Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by Dhavido(m): 7:31am On Jan 03, 2022
It was indeed a great game. I was particularly pleased with the way Chelsea control the midfield, Kante is a freaking TANK. He makes the transition from midfield to attack so easily with the way he takes on the opposing players.

City already won the league cry cry so we will console ourselves with the fighting spirit the team had to comeback against Liverpool. COYB

3 Likes

Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:31am On Jan 03, 2022
Arizonaz:
They made my Sunday a memorable one
You can say that again cheesy

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by JoshTim: 7:34am On Jan 03, 2022
They could have won just if Chelsea played lukaku.
Re: Chelsea Come From Two Down To Draw Liverpool In Thriller by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:34am On Jan 03, 2022
Ropostic120:
MAN CITY Don win this league already
You are not far from the truth.
But in football ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!!
It's only a matter of 3 bad games!!!

4 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yobo Laments Poor Treatment Of Super Falcons / What Is Your Prediction On Nigeria Vs Angola? / World Para Powerlifting African Championships 2022: How we fared in Cairo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.