Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,418 members, 7,819,510 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently (1002 Views)

With 1.4 Can I Get Clean Sienna 2003 XLE? Where? / Toyota Sienna 2003 Xle / My Engine Makes A Loud Noise Like A Local Grinding Machine Intermittently (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently by demarc001: 1:31am On Jan 03, 2022
Hi guys, please I need advice.
Recently got a neat 1 1/2 year Naija used camry xle 2003 v6. Everything except the speedometer works fine when it was inspected before purchase. We started and off ignition several times during the inspection and there was no issue only for me to get home, parked the car switched off ignition, came out of car and decided to park properly but to my greatest surprise the car won't start, no sign of crank/rolling so I checked the battery terminals but they were fine. I tapped and locked it more yet vehicle won't start (dashboard lights and fan come up fine). I disconnected one of the battery terminal and went in.

Next day after purchase about 11am I reconnected the terminal, started the vehicle i didn't start so I called in a battery charger, we fixed his battery and at once it started, (he checked and the alternator was working) believing the fault was my battery I handed it over to him for it to be charged. I used his battery that day to see a friend, came back home and parked.

Following morning I started it and it responded at once and I drove to the battery man's shop, collected my battery, fixed it and it started at once and I went back home. Later that evening I started it, it started at once, I took it out and came back home.

Next morning it started once, I ran it for some time but didn't take it out althrough that day.

Next day it started at once as I set for filling station, on getting to the filling station I switched off ignition and bought fuel but when it was time to move out alas! it won't crank. I had to call the battery man, he brought his battery and it started at once so I gave him mine to charge and drove from Ikorodu to Ogba, got to my destination (a hospital) parked and switched off ignition came out of the car but was told to repark for the person behind me to come out. Again car did not start oo, we had to use another battery to start it. finally called rewire to check and he confirmed alternator is working. I drove to my friends place parked the car, removed one terminal and went for crossover service. I came in 7am next day, fixed the terminal and it started at once then I drove to another friend's place, upon getting there I removed the terminal. Time to leave, I fixed the terminal and it started at once then I drove to my sister's place and removed terminal when I got there. Hours later I left there, stopped somewhere before heading back to ikorodu and parked overnight.
This morning I started it and allowed it to run for some time before switching off only for me to start it in the evening and it refused.
I had to call the battery man to bring my battery to start it before I could go out and on getting there after parking I switched it off and immediately I tried starting it and it refused till I got another battery.

My confusion now is
1. If it is my battery that is bad why is same thing happening with the battery man's own?
2. If its the alternator, how come it doesn't drain while I am driving?
3. If it is the battery that discharges, how come most time it starts in the morning
4. Why is it that it fails more immediately after I park
Re: Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently by Kingdemu: 2:53am On Jan 03, 2022
I suspect that the replacement battery gotten from the man is also not good, same as yours. First get an electrician to know if you have a parasitic drain and fix it. Also. check if your alternator is charging the battery at optimum. Buy a good battery and enjoy your ride.

3 Likes

Re: Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently by Munzy14(m): 3:05am On Jan 03, 2022
demarc001:
Recently got a neat 1 1/2 year Naija used camry xle 2003 v6. Everything except the speedometer works fine when it was inspected before purchase. We started and off ignition several times during the inspection and there was no issue only for me to get home, parked the car switched off ignition, came out of car and decided to park properly but to my greatest surprise the car won't start, no sign of crank/rolling so I checked the battery terminals but they were fine. I tapped and locked it more yet vehicle won't start (dashboard lights and fan come up fine). I disconnected one of the battery terminal and went in.

Next day after purchase about 11am I reconnected the terminal, started the vehicle i didn't start so I called in a battery charger, we fixed his battery and at once it started, (he checked and the alternator was working) believing the fault was my battery I handed it over to him for it to be charged. I used his battery that day to see a friend, came back home and parked.

Following morning I started it and it responded at once and I drove to the battery man's shop, collected my battery, fixed it and it started at once and I went back home. Later that evening I started it, it started at once, I took it out and came back home.

Next morning it started once, I ran it for some time but didn't take it out althrough that day.

Next day it started at once as I set for filling station, on getting to the filling station I switched off ignition and bought fuel but when it was time to move out alas! it won't crank. I had to call the battery man, he brought his battery and it started at once so I gave him mine to charge and drove from Ikorodu to Ogba, got to my destination (a hospital) parked and switched off ignition came out of the car but was told to repark for the person behind me to come out. Again car did not start oo, we had to use another battery to start it. finally called rewire to check and he confirmed alternator is working. I drove to my friends place parked the car, removed one terminal and went for crossover service. I came in 7am next day, fixed the terminal and it started at once then I drove to another friend's place, upon getting there I removed the terminal. Time to leave, I fixed the terminal and it started at once then I drove to my sister's place and removed terminal when I got there. Hours later I left there, stopped somewhere before heading back to ikorodu and parked overnight.
This morning I started it and allowed it to run for some time before switching off only for me to start it in the evening and it refused.
I had to call the battery man to bring my battery to start it before I could go out and on getting there after parking I switched it off and immediately I tried starting it and it refused till I got another battery.

My confusion now is
1. If it is my battery that is bad why is same thing happening with the battery man's own?
3. If it is the battery that discharges, how come most time it starts in the morning
Go and buy new battery na...at least 28 -30k..

You are stressing the car with constant removal of terminal heads.

7 Likes

Re: Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently by Aaaaarghmed(m): 5:14am On Jan 03, 2022
Seems like batt issue
Re: Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently by Mottomata(m): 5:44am On Jan 03, 2022
Dear OP,

Here is what you should do:
- Confirm parasitic drain on your battery;
- Get a new replacement battery

Just before you get an electrician, you should try this:
- Allow vehicle to park for a long time at least 4hrs
- Open the fuse box and check if any of the relay(s) is/are hot.
- Añy hot relay is most likely the culprit

Note: confirm and fix parasitic drain before inserting a new battery else the new battery will not serve you well.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently by earthrealm(m): 6:28am On Jan 03, 2022
demarc001:
Recently got a neat 1 1/2 year Naija used camry xle 2003 v6. ?

My conclusion.
You likely have a serious parasitic drain, above 3amps. Buying a new battery will not solve the problem, as issue will still continue.

Buy a digital multimeter, and use it to check the battery voltage b4 and during cranking. A good battery should read above 12.4v and not drop below 11v while cranking
Google youtube on how to trace a parasitic drain or if you lack the skills. Locate a knowledagble electrician who understands what a parasitic drain is and can help u trace it.

If all fails consider buying a simple battery disconnect switch, its a lot better than disconnecting the battery everytime

4 Likes

Re: Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently by demarc001: 9:25pm On Jan 03, 2022
Thank you guys for the response.
earthrealm:

My conclusion
Mottomata:
well.

Aaaaarghmed:
Seems like batt issue
Kingdemu:
I suspect that the replacement battery

So i decided to invite a rewire to check it today, after waiting for him all day to no avail he said I should bring the vehicle over. I tried starting as usual it didn't start, while at it my neighbour saw me and offered his battery but without proper check he connected it wrongly and there was a spark. I came and corrected it and the car started only for me to observe it wasn't sounding fine. Driving out I observe it doesn't (raise) accelerate beyond 2 1/2 and the gear changes with force when I switch from drive to reverse.
I managed to get to the rewire workshop, he read the battery and said its fine but that the alternator isn't charging well. He adjusted the belt and cleaned a connection (like ground wire) on the alternator, we started the car and he said alternator is fine now (I never believed him).

On the vehicle not accelerating properly he said we I'll have to scan it, it was late (already dark) so we agreed we shouldn't go into that so we set home, just getting to the next street the vehicle went off and wouldn't start till we got another battery to jump start before I could drive it home.

Sincerely I'm just so down, instead of getting a problem solved I am now faced with a bigger issue.
Re: Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently by Dozieson(m): 9:59pm On Jan 03, 2022
demarc001:

So i decided to invite a rewire to check it today, after waiting for him all day to no avail he said I should bring the vehicle over. I tried starting as usual it didn't start, while at it my neighbour saw me and offered his battery but without proper check he connected it wrongly and there was a spark. I came and corrected it and the car started only for me to observe it wasn't sounding fine. Driving out I observe it doesn't (raise) accelerate beyond 2 1/2 and the gear changes with force when I switch from drive to reverse.
I managed to get to the rewire workshop, he read the battery and said its fine but that the alternator isn't charging well. He adjusted the belt and cleaned a connection (like ground wire) on the alternator, we started the car and he said alternator is fine now (I never believed him).

On the vehicle not accelerating properly he said we I'll have to scan it, it was late (already dark) so we agreed we shouldn't go into that so we set home, just getting to the next street the vehicle went off and wouldn't start till we got another battery to jump start before I could drive it home.

Sincerely I'm just so down, instead of getting a problem solved I am now faced with a bigger issue.

Nigeria used cars are so frustrating to buy. The sellers will never tell you the faults.

Read on how to test a working alternator on YouTube.

Pray the gear is not having issue. Just scan and know the codes.

The V6 gear is 13pin(U151e) and very expensive
Re: Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently by demarc001: 10:39pm On Jan 03, 2022
Dozieson:

Nigeria used cars are so frustrating to buy. The sellers will never tell you the faults.

Read on how to test a working alternator on YouTube.

Pray the gear is not having issue. Just scan and know the codes.

The V6 gear is 13pin(U151e) and very expensive
Thanks
Re: Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently by Aaaaarghmed(m): 3:42am On Jan 04, 2022
demarc001:

from all you said,the issue was not handled well,why did your neigbour make that grave mistake of not connecting the battery well.na wa o.na now problem really dey o
Re: Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently by Blackbishop(m): 4:19am On Jan 04, 2022
From your explanation the car doesn’t crank when the sickness start?

Let me get it straight bro - if it doesn’t crank at start up and did give a click sound sound then ask your Rewire to check the starter motor.
Re: Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently by demarc001: 6:44am On Jan 04, 2022
Blackbishop:
From your explanation the car doesn’t crank when the sickness start?

Let me get it straight bro - if it doesn’t crank at start up and did give a click sound sound then ask your Rewire to check the starter motor.

Yes it doesn't crank at all, but once the battery is changed it starts at once. If its the starter motor will change of battery make it start at once?

1 Like

Re: Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently by demarc001: 6:45am On Jan 04, 2022
Aaaaarghmed:
from all you said,the issue was not handled well,why did your neigbour make that grave mistake of not connecting the battery well.na wa o.na now problem really dey o
Very funny, na elderly man with years of driving o anyway it was a mistake.
Re: Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently by sultaan(m): 6:53am On Jan 04, 2022
YouTube parasitic draw and you will find out how check it
Re: Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently by Blackbishop(m): 8:19am On Jan 04, 2022
demarc001:

Yes it doesn't crank at all, but once the battery is changed it starts at once. If its the starter motor will change of battery make it start at once?
Next time you experience that just look for a wooden object not a metal not to cause a spark and hit it. Just give it a try and see
Re: Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently by earthrealm(m): 12:25pm On Jan 04, 2022
demarc001:

I managed to d of getting a problem solved I am now faced with a bigger issue.

Na now you enter some semi premium wahala...
That wrong battery connection dey spoil plenty things for motor..from brainbox to fuses, relay.

From what you described, one cant be sure wch is the case now. But check all your fuses and be sure non has blown. Replace all blown ones with correct amps rated ones.

Lastly, if you hope to enjoy your car in this country, you need to man up and develop some diy skills. Depending on these semi illietrate kazeem mechanics.rewire.electrician will ruin your car in the long run.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently by Kelvin30286063(m): 4:57pm On Jan 05, 2022
demarc001:

My confusion now is
3 things.
1. Ignition also called kick
2. Bad battery
3. Bad or undercharging alternator.

2 Likes

Re: Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently by Kelvin30286063(m): 5:00pm On Jan 05, 2022
demarc001:

This one is the worse. Advice is that you scan and tell the technician to clear error codes. See if it will be fine. It may throw up error codes due to the bad connection and some of them will just go away without needing to change anything but it's not a guarantee.
Re: Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently by demarc001: 7:57pm On Jan 05, 2022
Thanks guys,
So yesterday i got a rewire guy, we checked the fuse box and discovered it was a fuse that got blown, so it was changed and the acceleration picked up fine and the gear sound went back to normal.
This evening I bought a new battery, car working fine though I am yet to drive it out to know if I will still have the battery issue, I hope it settles it.

5 Likes

Re: Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently by Dozieson(m): 8:41pm On Jan 05, 2022
demarc001:
Thanks guys,
So yesterday i got a rewire guy, we checked the fuse box and discovered it was a fuse that got blown, so it was changed and the acceleration picked up fine and the gear sound went back to normal.
This evening I bought a new battery, car working fine though I am yet to drive it out to know if I will still have the battery issue, I hope it settles it.

Good luck
Re: Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently by franksam2009: 9:01pm On Jan 05, 2022
Very foolish indeed!!!! Instead of you to go buy a brand new battery, u are there embarrassing and stressing the car and yourself for nothing sake
Re: Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently by demarc001: 11:01pm On Jan 06, 2022
So guys, after installing the new battery yesterday, I used the car to and from work today and it started fine on both trips

I really appreciate all the help
Kingdemu
Munzi12
Aaaaargmed
Mottomatta
Earthrealm
Dozieson
Blackbishop
Sultaan
Kelvin30286063

1 Like

Re: Camry 2003 Xle Battery Failing Intermittently by earthrealm(m): 11:13pm On Jan 06, 2022
demarc001:
Thanks guys,

Good it was a simple fuse, hope you replaced with fuse of same rating....very critical.

Good your car us working ok now. However dont rejoice yet, till you leave the car parked for 3 to 5 days...and its able to start afterwards

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Corolla For Sale In Portharcourt 1.2m Asking 08163157823 Giveaway / New Line-up Of Bomb-resistant Suvs / New Nigeria’s Driver’s License Now Accepted In The USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.