Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,690 members, 7,820,403 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

Nigeria (lagos) Put In The Spotlight Again by The BBC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria (lagos) Put In The Spotlight Again by The BBC (745 Views)

Difference Between Street Light Abroad And Nigeria(lagos) / FG Officially Removes Subsidy - African Spotlight / Spotlight On Wike’s Endless Search For Prayers (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria (lagos) Put In The Spotlight Again by The BBC by 2bosun: 9:28pm On Jun 16, 2011
BBC has put Nigeria in the spotlight once again- this time on its show "Breaking into Britain". As expected it's nothing nice and has to do with the negative aspects of the country. Somebody actually obtained a Nigerian passport without any links to the country amongst other fraudulent/desperate practices.

The Western world never highlights Nigeria (or Africa as a whole) in positive light, which is unfortunate because there are positive things happening on the continent. It's  clear that Nigeria (and Africa) still has a long way to go in terms of development- is there really a need to expose our already tattered reputation without highlighting any positives. Where's the objectivity?

I think it'll be made available on YouTube at some point for non-UK users.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front_page/newsid_9511000/9511700.stm
Re: Nigeria (lagos) Put In The Spotlight Again by The BBC by obowunmi(m): 9:51pm On Jun 16, 2011
Ok and why are Africans waiting for the white man to portray them in a positive light ? Let our youths go out and produce documentaries that will change the image of Africa.

Keep whining my broda.
Re: Nigeria (lagos) Put In The Spotlight Again by The BBC by 2CatWoman: 10:41pm On Jun 16, 2011
BBC seem to be reinforcing the whole Nigeria = FRAUD thing. embarassed
Re: Nigeria (lagos) Put In The Spotlight Again by The BBC by ezeagu(m): 11:06pm On Jun 16, 2011
2CatWoman:

BBC seem to be reinforcing the whole Nigeria = FRAUD thing. embarassed

Hmm, I wonder why. . . . .
Re: Nigeria (lagos) Put In The Spotlight Again by The BBC by ezeagu(m): 11:10pm On Jun 16, 2011
2bosun:

The Western world never highlights Nigeria (or Africa as a whole) in positive light, which is unfortunate because there are positive things happening on the continent.

Make your own shit and stop bothering people about stuff they actually have to deal with. British media wouldn't be so nice to America if it was as foolish and as useless as Nigeria as to not have a capable way to present itself to the world through propaganda through it's own media. China is thrown twice more shit at by the Western media but they suck it up and create their own shit throwing platform through their own media.

[center][size=14pt]When will Nigerians figure out that no one cares about fixing your image issues?[/size][/center]
Re: Nigeria (lagos) Put In The Spotlight Again by The BBC by 2bosun: 11:55pm On Jun 16, 2011
obowunmi:

Ok and why are Africans waiting for the white man to portray them in a positive light ? Let our youths go out and produce documentaries that will change the image of Africa.

Keep whining my broda.

ezeagu:

Make your own shit and stop bothering people about stuff they actually have to deal with. British media wouldn't be so nice to America if it was as foolish and as useless as Nigeria as to not have a capable way to present itself to the world through propaganda through it's own media. China is thrown twice more shit at by the Western media but they suck it up and create their own shit throwing platform through their own media.

[center][size=14pt]When will Nigerians figure out that no one cares about fixing your image issues?[/size][/center]

People do care about the image of African countries being portrayed by the Western media. While the BBC does not go out of its way to report falsehood- most of the events really happen- it is the overly negative view of Africa that hurt our image abroad. We can argue to some extent that potential investors and tourist (like my boss who rang me for the 3rd time about a show in Lagos on the BBC) would be discouraged about the negative coverage of the continent.

I am yet to see a balanced report about Africa from the BBC. Yes- we know there are massive developmental challenges in Africa and proper structures are not in place for the youth to "produce documentaries that will change the image of Africa". The truth is that western media hate to portray the fact that the so called "third world countries" have middle incomes too which will put them on the same page.

[size=14pt]
You are completely missing the point by saying China just suck it up, spin it around, and throw it back because China has tangible proof in being the country with the 2nd highest GDP in the world- so it obviously does more than just employ a spin doctor!
[/size]
Re: Nigeria (lagos) Put In The Spotlight Again by The BBC by tpia1: 12:00am On Jun 17, 2011
hmm, no biggie.

the write up was probably by a nigerian or one of nigeria's many detractors.

but i'm sure a nigerian is behind it.
Re: Nigeria (lagos) Put In The Spotlight Again by The BBC by olaolabiy: 12:07am On Jun 17, 2011
Is it a lie? Please, stop whining, guys.
Re: Nigeria (lagos) Put In The Spotlight Again by The BBC by obowunmi(m): 5:00pm On Jun 20, 2011
tpia1:

hmm, no biggie.

the write up was probably by a nigerian

but i'm sure a nigerian is behind it.

True talk.

(1) (Reply)

Police Storm Boko Haram Hideout / Dora Akunyili Debunks Erecting N150m Home On Nafdac Land / What Do You Do When You Lose Your Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.