Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,953 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) (2682 Views)

Man Accused Of Being A Money Ritualist In Ibadan (Photos) / Nigerian Man Accused Of Cutting Italian Girl Into Pieces Escapes Murder Charge / Ifeanyi Okpoko: Houses, Exotic Cars Owned By Man Accused Of Being A Ritualist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by TMKsouth: 12:44pm On Jan 04, 2022
The 49-year-old suspect accused of setting the fire which ravaged the buildings of South Africa's 147-year-old parliamentary precinct made his first appearance in the Cape Town Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday, 4 January.

Zandile Christmas Mafe stands accused of contravening the Explosives Act, arson, damaging essential infrastructure, housebreaking with intent to steal and more.

Mafe was found trapped by the fire in possession of suspected stolen property – presumably taken from Parliament – including, laptops, crockery and documents, according to the state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VHa4btHWtQ

Mafe pleaded not guilty to all the charges. His lawyer, Luvuyo Godla, insists the wrong person was arrested.

Magistrate Zamekile Mbalo ordered suspect Mafe, a resident of Cape Town's largest township Khayelitsha, held in custody for seven days until Jan. 11 for a bail hearing. Prosecutors said they would oppose bail.

Earlier on Tuesday, Cape Town Fire Chief Ian Schnetler said the situation at Parliament was under control after the inferno lasted for 2 days.

2 Shares

Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by TMKsouth: 12:44pm On Jan 04, 2022
The suspect is unemployed and lives in a Cape Town township.

Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by Pauldollars(m): 12:49pm On Jan 04, 2022
See as the man face resemble him shoe.
Mr. Destroyer

1 Like

Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by wordapostle(m): 12:54pm On Jan 04, 2022
They should should just take him to mad peoples home
Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by TMKsouth: 12:56pm On Jan 04, 2022
Parliament fire

A new and second blaze at the complex housing South Africa’s Parliament in Cape Town has been contained, according to officials, as a suspect arrested in connection with the fire was due to appear in court.

An initial fire on Sunday morning caused the roof of the New Wing housing the assembly’s lower chamber to collapse. The roof of the Old Wing, which dates back to 1884 and houses the upper chamber, the National Council of Provinces, also partially collapsed.

The new blaze broke out on Monday.

“Around midnight the fire was brought under control,” Cape Town city officials said in a statement on Tuesday. “Teams are now working their way through the maize-like building, room-for-room, as they attempt to locate and extinguish [hot spots].”

“This is a lengthy process, as some rooms are needing to have their interior wooden cladding pulled apart, in order to identify any concealed hot spots,” they said.

The fire swept through the buildings but officials have said important sections including a museum with artworks and heritage objects were saved, as was an embroidered tapestry telling the story of the Eastern Cape on the ground floor of the Old Assembly Building.

“This building is very important to South Africans,” Al Jazeera’s Jillian Wolfe, reporting from outside the complex, said. “It is a place that is the heartbeat of democracy, it is the place where the parliamentarians gather to debate policy and legislation, and it is also where the president delivers the state of the nation address,” she added.

“There is going to be some significant cost involved in refurbishing this building.”

“To see the walls burning like this, it makes me very sad,” Danny, a Cape Town resident, told Al Jazeera. “I’m actually lost for words to see this happening.”

“Further damage has been caused, with more floors of the building, which houses offices of Members of Parliament and support staff, being completely gutted,” the statement said.

Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by MrBrownJay1(m): 12:58pm On Jan 04, 2022
dude is upset for real, see the "strong" face!

but how did he get inside the place to begin with?

2 Likes

Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by Baawaa(m): 1:00pm On Jan 04, 2022
Am seen a mad man inside the dock grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Look the man from head to toe,tell me what you see

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by TMKsouth: 1:04pm On Jan 04, 2022
MrBrownJay1:
dude is upset for real, see the "strong" face!

but how did he get inside the place to begin with?

"The elite Hawks police unit said on Monday the suspect was believed to have gained entry to the Parliament through an office window"
Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by mountmoriah(m): 1:07pm On Jan 04, 2022
TMKsouth:

"The elite Hawks police unit said on Monday the suspect was believed to have gained entry to the Parliament through an office window"
Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by MrBrownJay1(m): 1:09pm On Jan 04, 2022
TMKsouth:

do you really believe that it is that easy to gain access to the SA parliament (of all places)?!?!?!?!?!?!?! just open a damn window and you are in?!?!?! so there is nNO perimeter of security around the parliament abi? anyone can just walk down the street and there is the back window of parliament?!

[img]https://c./FRU2yGmIf1YAAAAS/seriously.gif[/img]

1 Like

Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jan 04, 2022
See as him face still smooth

He is lucky no b Nigeria he try this kin nonsense without a solid GF

Police go don use slaps reshape him face after them take an away from public view.

By now, dem go still dey work on charging him to court

When they eventually charge him, the case fit last reach 20 years and will still not have enough evidence to nail the guy in court

So he will eventually be set free.

2 Likes

Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by BeeBeeOoh(m): 1:10pm On Jan 04, 2022
Mere looking at this man shows that he's a candidate of yaba left

1 Like

Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by TMKsouth: 1:10pm On Jan 04, 2022
Parliament was set on fire on Sunday morning, January 02 - the same day Archbishop Desmond Tutu's ashes were being interred at a nearby Cathedral.

Parliament has sustained major damage and this has renewed calls for it to be moved from Cape Town to Pretoria.

Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jan 04, 2022
Onitsha is more beautiful than Cape Town cool
Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by TMKsouth: 1:15pm On Jan 04, 2022
MrBrownJay1:

do you really believe that it is that easy to gain access to the SA parliament (of all places)?!?!?!?!?!?!?! just open a damn window and you are in?!?!?! so there is nNO perimeter of security around the parliament abi? anyone can just walk down the street and there is the back window of parliament?!

[img]https://c./FRU2yGmIf1YAAAAS/seriously.gif[/img]

Lots of questions indeed...

1. Fire alarm only went off once the firefighters were on the scene.
2. CCTV was working but there was noone on duty to man it.
3. Unions questioning why security staff was reduced over the festive season.
4. Links to Jacob Zuma arrest protests.

Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by MrBrownJay1(m): 1:22pm On Jan 04, 2022
TMKsouth:

exactly....this story makes no damn sense!
Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by DabuIIIT: 2:18pm On Jan 04, 2022
DubaiLandLord:
See as him face still smooth

He is lucky no b Nigeria he try this kin nonsense without a solid GF
pickpocket grin
Police go don use slaps reshape him face after them take an away from public view.

By now, dem go still dey work on charging him to court

When they eventually charge him, the case fit last reach 20 years and will still not have enough evidence to nail the guy in court

So he will eventually be set free.
Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by Greatzeus(m): 3:48pm On Jan 04, 2022
Very easy case for defence attorney. He will just plead insanity,and poof the case is good as won,you can't try a man for a crime he's mentally incapable of recognising as a crime.
Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by TMKsouth: 4:09pm On Jan 04, 2022
Greatzeus:
Very easy case for defence attorney. He will just plead insanity,and poof the case is good as won,you can't try a man for a crime he's mentally incapable of recognising as a crime.

The big issue is which big fish does he represent.
Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by fergie001: 4:13pm On Jan 04, 2022
TMKsouth:

Zondo Report is in.......We await June 30,2022.
Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by peppermint7(m): 4:26pm On Jan 04, 2022
Nigerias go don mend this one since now
He is still fresh
Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by TMKsouth: 4:27pm On Jan 04, 2022
fergie001:

I just saw RamaP giving a press conference - I switched channels, very boring. Atleast first Draft will be available online from this evening.

Is June 30 when the final report comes through.
Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by TMKsouth: 4:29pm On Jan 04, 2022
fergie001:

About the parliament fire - don't u smell a rat? undecided

1 Like

Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by fergie001: 4:36pm On Jan 04, 2022
TMKsouth:

About the parliament fire - don't u smell a rat? undecided
Most important thing is that....the 1st Part has been submitted;

Rama will tell Parliament his line of action not later than June 30.

The 1st part of the report has 3 Volumes
-South Africa Airways
-Gupta-owned New Age newspaper
-South Africa Revenue Service

...and will be made public immediately, can't wait.

The next thing is the LINE OF ACTION.

For the Zandile issue, they are deceiving themselves. That fire had every print of State-connivance.
Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by TMKsouth: 4:40pm On Jan 04, 2022
fergie001:

Most important thing is that....the 1st Part has been submitted;

Rama will tell Parliament his line of action not later than June 30.

The 1st part of the report has 3 Volumes
-South Africa Airways
-Gupta-owned New Age newspaper
-South Africa Revenue Service

...and will be made public immediately, can't wait.

The next thing is the LINE OF ACTION.

You's a news junkie for sho! cool grin

The same people who will be fingered in the report are the same ones who set parliament alight. I can bet my life on it.

It's commendable that the report is being shared with the public immediately - same time as with the president. That means that court case calling for the report not to be given to RamaP will be dead in the water.
Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by TMKsouth: 4:42pm On Jan 04, 2022
fergie001:

For the Zandile issue, they are deceiving themselves. That fire had every print of State-connivance

Dang! I learnt a new word today shocked cool

1 Like

Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by fergie001: 4:57pm On Jan 04, 2022
TMKsouth:

You's a news junkie for sho! cool grin

The same people who will be fingered in the report are the same ones who set parliament alight. I can bet my life on it.

It's commendable that the report is being shared with the public immediately - same time as with the president. That means that court case calling for the report not to be given to RamaP will be dead in the water.
You want me to be honest?
DIA were not wrong in their suit....This Commission was set up by Zuma who is directly implicated, even his Deputy now President cannot be exonerated.

Mtsweni's argument was that Rama is not totally clean in this, and instead the Public Prosecutor's Office should handle it.

For example, this report was handed over to the President since Dec 31, so what's today's ceremony for?

The case by DIA was already thrown out earlier today....Justice Maier-Frawley threw it out, to give reasons later. She won't do otherwise when the Acting CJ is involved.

I am not optimistic.

Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by TMKsouth: 5:58pm On Jan 04, 2022
fergie001:

You want me to be honest?
DIA were not wrong in their suit....This Commission was set up by Zuma who is directly implicated, even his Deputy now President cannot be exonerated.

Mtsweni's argument was that Rama is not totally clean in this, and instead the Public Prosecutor's Office should handle it.

For example, this report was handed over to the President since Dec 31, so what's today's ceremony for?

The case by DIA was already thrown out earlier today....Justice Maier-Frawley threw it out, to give reasons later. She won't do otherwise when the Acting CJ is involved.

I am not optimistic.

I wasn't even aware it was already thrown out. So maybe we're getting the redacted version of the report today - and we're out here celebrating grin

South Africans are becoming so jaded with the ANC corruption and smoke screens - most of us really couldn't less anymore.
Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by lkillbrokehoes: 6:25pm On Jan 04, 2022
I'm glad that they didn't blame Nigerians this time around. cool
Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by fergie001: 7:24pm On Jan 04, 2022
TMKsouth:
I wasn't even aware it was already thrown out. So maybe we're getting the redacted version of the report today - and we're out here celebrating grin

South Africans are becoming so jaded with the ANC corruption and smoke screens - most of us really couldn't less anymore.

I cannot download ooooo.....Are you sure that site won't crash grin cheesy cheesy

Multiple downloadsss ..

1 Like

Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by TMKsouth: 7:43pm On Jan 04, 2022
fergie001:

I cannot download ooooo.....Are you sure that site won't crash grin cheesy cheesy

Multiple downloadsss ..

Just might, especially if it's a government site grin

Try with Scribd - I'll wait for the media to do the job for me. 874 pages shocked shocked shocked - not for me shocked

https://www.scribd.com/document/550969497/Part-1-Judicial-commission-of-inquiry-into-state-capture-report
Re: See Man Accused of Setting SA's Parliament On Fire Looking Like a Madman (PIX) by Blackfire(m): 12:28am On Jan 05, 2022
They got the wrong person....

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Install Car Tracking Devices In Your Vehicles (it's Important) / Ever Since We Rape Her My Friends Have Been Dying One By One- Man Cries Out / Nigerian Voodoo Priest Suspends Boy On The Air (pix/video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.