Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,715 members, 7,813,359 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:15 AM

Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association (19332 Views)

Lagos Targets 60 Days For Landlord-Tenant Dispute Resolution / Anambra Land Dispute: Bartholomew Okafor-Onyilo, Wins In Court / Magodo Land Dispute: Shangisha Land Association Splits Over Land Allocation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by abc115: 1:47am On Jan 05, 2022
Members of the Shangisha Landlord’s Association, Lagos State have described as erroneous the impression given in some sections of the media and the public that their battle to get back their land in the Magodo Phase 11 area of Ikosi Isheri Loca Council Development Area of the state from the state government as a case of land grabbing, saying rather they are fighting a legitimate battle and followed the due process of the law up to the highest point.

Speaking to a cross section of journalists at his residence, chairman of the association, Chief Adebayo Adeyiga, said trouble started over the land in 1984 when the Lagos State government and its civil servants invaded their properties in Magodo area of Shangisha and demolished them, taking possession by force.

He said they had to approach the court in May of the same year to try to seek redress, and they have had victory, both at the state High Court, the Court of Appeal to which the state appealed and at the Supreme Court to which the state further appealed, which gave judgement on February 10, 1012 still in their favour. In the judgement, he said, the state government was ordered to give the Shangisha Landlord’s Association 549 plots of land in Magodo Phase 11 to which the government has so far not responded, which they as an association has now started to enforce. Chief Adeyiga who was flanked by other members of the association, also spoke about threat to his life and that of other members of the association, leading to his near death experience and his going blind in the process noted that “the matter further escalated when the Lagos State government sent its taskforce after the executive members of Shangisha Landlord Association, mainly myself as the chairman and others,

“Those taskforce whom I can call thugs invaded my residence on May 4, 1994 and threw me down from my one story building, this old man sitting beside me, Pa Timothy Ayanbadejo, was with me and another man, now late, Folorunsho Adedoyin, the three of us were dragged to the police station in Ketu, from there to the Taskforce office at Alausa, Ikeja, we were beaten to the point of death, until Col. Olagunsoye Oyinlola, the military governor at the time, heard about the story and the Commissioner of Police in Lagos at the time, Mr. Dan Baba, who ordered the immediate release of the three of us.”

Also speaking on the matter, lawyer to the Shangisha Landlord’s Association, Mr. Deji Fasusi said that after the Supreme Court judgement they applied to the Lagos State government and it registered the judgement of the Supreme Court allocating 549 plots to the judgement creditors, that was done in 2014 and that it is a public document which anybody can apply for.

However, he said in the course of the current development, the Lagos State government has intervened through the Commissioner for Physical Planning and said they wanted a peaceful resolution of the matter and “we told them that we are open to that and since then we have made efforts to reach them for a way forward.”
https://www.newtelegraphng.com/magodo-land-dispute-our-story-by-shangisha-landlords-association/

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by namdyz(m): 4:57am On Jan 05, 2022
10years on nairaland, first time I hit d front page... beginning of good things for me dis year. Amen

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by iswallker(m): 4:57am On Jan 05, 2022
angry

Congrats to me - my first FTC ever grin

Land must be made available to the original owners - not in ibeji Lekki or badagry - but in Magodo - that's when justice is served.

Shout out to all peace loving and industrious nairakanders - we move into glory this yr grin

I am into plantain farming - need investors to expand and increase ROI

See my siggy for contact if you have idle cash - you can make your money work for you grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by highskies(m): 4:59am On Jan 05, 2022
Hmmm… everyone has their own story as well. O gba enu tan
Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by dadebayo1(m): 5:00am On Jan 05, 2022
Vs Government.. All i know is that it is very difficult to fight Government grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by joeking2222: 5:01am On Jan 05, 2022
Na real wa 4 where dis case dey head to o!!!

1 Like

Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by ssogundele(m): 5:03am On Jan 05, 2022
Ok, that’s good and peace prevail
Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by Freelancer2020(m): 5:04am On Jan 05, 2022
Go for settlement, so everyone could rest.

1 Like

Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by chiedu7: 5:04am On Jan 05, 2022
Land Issue na wa
Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by BigBelleControl(m): 5:11am On Jan 05, 2022
Military collected land but its the civilian government that Is now paying for it.
There are so many lands that were collected from the original owners by the government in the past and this judgement can spur others to go to court and seek justice.
But they should just settle out If court.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by ItsGoodToBeGood: 5:11am On Jan 05, 2022
namdyz:
10years on nairaland, first time I hit d front page... beginning of good things for me dis year. Amen

Surely, Goodness and Mercy shall follow us this year

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by bibiking7(m): 5:13am On Jan 05, 2022

Lagos land wahala is something to be avoided at all cost. Some folks have been living in Magodo for over 20 years with the C of O of their land (issued to them by the government), only to discover that the land can actually be taken from them due to this dispute than has spanned over so many years.
There is a case in Surulere too, another in festac. Buying lands in lagos na wa.

The Shangisha landlords already have victory at the Supreme Court. Only peaceful resolution can solve this now. Magodo people will most likely have to re-purchase those lands.

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by sagitariusbaby(m): 5:19am On Jan 05, 2022
The Shangisha landlords actually followed due process but the Lagos state government never expected they would go that far in getting justice. They can no longer be stopped at this point since the case has been settled at the Supreme Court. Their land should be given to them already.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by Gbotun(m): 5:21am On Jan 05, 2022
iswallker:
angry

Eyah, sorry someone else comment came before yours.
Try again later cheesy grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by MrOkenwa(m): 5:40am On Jan 05, 2022
I CONGRATULATE THESE OLD MEN AND WOMEN. THEY FOLLOWED THE DUE PROCESS TO PROVE THEIR CASE BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT. IT TAKES A LOT OF GUTS TO GO THIS FAR CHALLENGING THE GOVERNMENT. THEY WERE PERSECUTED.
YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND THEIR PAIN IF YOUR PROPERTY HAD NEVER BEEN TAKEN AWAY FROM YOU BEFORE.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by austinvsb: 5:42am On Jan 05, 2022
CSP of police command Abuja came to Magodo Lagos to demolish buildings without the knowledge/authority from the Lagos state government even when the governor is the chief security officer and the matter has nothing to do with the police in Abuja

A police officer CSP on order of IGP arguing vehemently/disrespectful with SanwoOlu, a sitting Governor regarding Magodo imbroglio. This is why state police is better!

Mayor of Calgary controls Calgary Police. Why would IGP in Abj be giving order in a matter in Lagos? State Police as practiced in proper federations is the only way to go now!

Edit - The police raided the premises of a Supreme Court Justice......they said Malami sent them. Malami denied it.

Similar issues have now happened in Magodo.....police say Malami sent them but he denies it....

Maybe there's another Malami that we've not been told about....

Edit 2 - Magodo incident is about rule of law, AGF & IGP’s agents lawfully cannot invade the estate in the pretext of enforcing SC Judgment.
They are not Sheriffs empowered to so do under the SCPA. If the LASG disobeyed the Court, redress venue is still the Court.Not office of IGP or AGF

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by eleko1: 5:44am On Jan 05, 2022
sad
Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by richmondefosa(m): 5:59am On Jan 05, 2022
iswallker:
angry

Land must be made available to the original owners - not in ibeji Lekki or badagry - but in Magodo - that's when justice is served.

Shout out to all peace loving and industrious nairakanders - we move into glory this yr grin

I am into plantain farming - need investors to expand and increase ROI

Mention me if you have idle cash - you can make your money work for you grin

Send me a mail
Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by rajiedreez: 6:12am On Jan 05, 2022
Daddy sir,you said Lagos state government sent taskforce to arrest you and the then Lagos state military governor freed you. Which government sent the thugs in the first place because I don't seem to understand again o

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by opera1(m): 6:12am On Jan 05, 2022
abc115:

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/magodo-land-dispute-our-story-by-shangisha-landlords-association/

This case would have been settled during military regime but they [military] does not used to obey the rule of law, everything is force.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by Nobody: 6:18am On Jan 05, 2022
austinvsb:
My grouse with this whole thing is not the judgement by the supreme Court, it's rather the repetition of the "igboho situation" even after the southern governors met and transmitted to the FG that they be informed of any security operations beforehand. A common-sense position imo

In this case, Not only was the governor unaware of the operation, he also couldn't stop it! How then is he supposed to guarantee any form of security to the people that voted him in as the chief security officer of the state?!!

State Police as practiced in proper federations is the only way to go now!

But the Police are just carrying out the order of a Supreme Court judgement

The Supreme Court judgement is in favor of the landlord association. A judgement that have been pass since 2012.

I'm not understanding some of you people again sef.

No power is above the Supreme Court in Nigeria.

8 Likes

Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by 175(m): 6:24am On Jan 05, 2022
rajiedreez:
Daddy sir,you said Lagos state government sent taskforce to arrest you and the then Lagos state military governor freed you. Which government sent the thugs in the first place because I don't seem to understand again o

Over zealous members of the establishment carried out the arrest.

Comprendeh?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by Nobody: 6:27am On Jan 05, 2022
dadebayo1:
Vs Government.. All i know is that it is very difficult to fight Government grin
The Supreme Court judgement was in favor of the landlord.

1 Like

Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by Upworkwriter007(f): 6:33am On Jan 05, 2022
BigBelleControl:
Military collected land but its the civilian government that Is now paying for it.
There are so many lands that were collected from the original owners by the government in the past and this judgement can spur others to go to court and seek justice.
the court has already given an order. They can't settle out of court again.

3 Likes

Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by Upworkwriter007(f): 6:34am On Jan 05, 2022
austinvsb:
My grouse with this whole thing is not the judgement by the supreme Court, it's rather the repetition of the "igboho situation" even after the southern governors met and transmitted to the FG that they be informed of any security operations beforehand. A common-sense position imo

In this case, Not only was the governor unaware of the operation, he also couldn't stop it! How then is he supposed to guarantee any form of security to the people that voted him in as the chief security officer of the state?!!

State Police as practiced in proper federations is the only way to go now!

No one, not even the president can stop the order of the supreme court. The order is final.

7 Likes

Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by Nobody: 6:37am On Jan 05, 2022
Upworkwriter007:
the court has already given an order. They can't settle out of court again.
They can settle out of court. It’s a civil case not a criminal case. As long as the Landlords association guys agree to it.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by Lambapapa(m): 6:38am On Jan 05, 2022
Land matter no easy oh...3 years now me and my neighbour stil dey drag space to keep bucket for our passage

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by NoToPile: 6:44am On Jan 05, 2022
Nawa oo, these people have suffered on this case. Their properties were even demolished?

They should settle out of court. They will have to compensate them both in cash and lands, state govt will pay, even the Magodo landlords will have to part with plenty money except they want to carry their house away from the land which is not possible.

One case since 1984? Nawa.

But 549 plots in Magodo is plenty money oo.
Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by nedekid: 6:49am On Jan 05, 2022
BigBelleControl:
Most that had sense went to court.
The one at shasha, akowonjo will be a desaster if they try to enforce. They have gotten judgement already from Supreme Court.
That one will pass 5000 to 10,000 plots oh, all full built up. shocked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by austinvsb: 6:59am On Jan 05, 2022
Upworkwriter007:

No one, not even the president can stop the order of the supreme court. The order is final.

Magodo incident is about rule of law, AGF & IGP’s agents lawfully cannot invade the estate in the pretext of enforcing SC Judgment.
They are not Sheriffs empowered to so do under the SCPA. If the LASG disobeyed the Court, redress venue is still the Court.Not office of IGP or AGF
Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by austinvsb: 6:59am On Jan 05, 2022
DubaiLandLord:

But the Police are just carrying out the order of a Supreme Court judgement

The Supreme Court judgement is in favor of the landlord association. A judgement that have been pass since 2012.

I'm not understanding some of you people again sef.

No power is above the Supreme Court in Nigeria.

Magodo incident is about rule of law, AGF & IGP’s agents lawfully cannot invade the estate in the pretext of enforcing SC Judgment.
Re: Magodo Land Dispute: Our Story, By Shangisha Landlord’s Association by Antoeni(m): 7:01am On Jan 05, 2022
The Drama Continues

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

DISTRESS SALE DISTRESS SALE EXISTING FENCED FARM / Juhel Filing Station In Enugu On Fire After An Explosion (Photos) / The Anambra Modern Duplex Construction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.