Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,083 members, 7,821,735 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

How To Mitigate Static Electric Shock In This Harmattan Dry Weather - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Mitigate Static Electric Shock In This Harmattan Dry Weather (724 Views)

Peter Obi As Governor Went Through Every Document To Mitigate Padding / E-learning Can Help Mitigate Africa’s Out-of-school Crisis / 5 Helpful Tips To Stay Safe During This Harmattan Season (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Mitigate Static Electric Shock In This Harmattan Dry Weather by NoApology(m): 3:05pm On Jan 06, 2022
Moments ago my boy woke up from his nap and came to my study. I reached down to him to cuddle his cute face and,....grrr!....shock! I immediately yanked away my hand. Omoh the electric shock loud. I know of static electricity but i never knew it's zap can be this strong.

Static electricity builds up more in dry weather which explains why it is very common during the harmattan period. If you have experienced these zaps like i did, these simple steps below can help mitigate static electricity

1. Treat Your Carpets
Use an anti-static treatment on your carpets and rugs. Spraying an anti-static chemical will reduce static shocks around your home. A charge will not build up between your feet and the carpet, thus reducing your likelihood of being shocked.

2.Rub Dryer Sheets Over Your Upholstery

Grab dryer sheets, not for your laundry, but for your upholstery. Rubbing your furniture and even the seats in your car with dryer sheets will reduce the static buildup on those surfaces. Dryer sheets act as neutralizers for electrical charge (and odor). Keep some in your pocket.

These applications will help reduce static electricity in your home. For more comprehensive steps, there are ways to remove static electricity from your body. Combined, you should be able to beat the winter shocks.

3. Stay Moisturized

Keeping your skin hydrated is one way to reduce the effects of static shock. Using lotions and moisturizers before getting dressed and throughout the day will help keep static electricity from accumulating on your body. As we learned before, the drier the air or your skin, the higher the potential of being zapped.

4. Wear Low-Static Fabrics & Shoes

Rubber-soled shoes are insulators and build up static on your body. Couple that with a wool sweater or wool socks and you’ll be wearing the ideal gear for getting zapped. All synthetic fibers, including polyester and nylon are culprits of static build up. Instead, wear leather-soled shoes and natural fibers, such as cotton socks and clothing.

So, Rubber — no. Leather — yes. Wool — no. Cotton — yes.

5. Add Baking Soda to Your Laundry
Did you know that baking soda acts as a barrier between positive and negative charges from creating static build up? It also acts as a water and fabric softener.

Along with wearing low-static materials such as leather and cotton, wash your clothing with this anti-static treatment. Add ¼ cup baking soda to your regular laundry cycle to help prevent static electricity in your laundry.

You may need to adjust the amount of baking soda between a couple tablespoons for a small load to ½ cup for larger loads. ¼ cup is the average measurement suggested.
Re: How To Mitigate Static Electric Shock In This Harmattan Dry Weather by Harmattan10: 4:19pm On Jan 06, 2022
Thank you �

(1) (Reply)

Photos Of Pilot Primary School, Bassa Pupils Sitting On Bare Floor In Class / Iom Tuberculosis Appointment / UNN Mass Communication Students Glamorously Sign Out After ASUU Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.