Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,290 members, 7,815,501 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:31 PM

"I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari (10237 Views)

Can Bola Tinubu, Nigeria’s Ailing Kingmaker, Win The Presidency? - AL JAZEERA / Tinubu: Hurdles Before A Kingmaker Eying The Throne / Shettima Yerima: Tinubu Destined To Be A Kingmaker, Not A King (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by Kwanza: 10:26pm On Jan 06, 2022
President Muhammadu Buhari has told Nigerians how much he looks forward to his exit from office as he said age is telling on him from working long hours every day.

He made the remark in an interview with a pre-recorded Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) aired on Thursday night.

The President observed that many of his colleagues are now enjoying their retirement, noting that he hopes to emulate them in the next 17 months when his tenure ends.

Asked how he felt clocking 79 recently, he said: “Yes, I think COVID-19 has come to my rescue in the sense that the number of people that need to see you, can’t see you so that is losing no time.

“And about my age, yes, I see my colleagues, they are now resting and I assure you that I’m looking forward to the next 17 months when I too would have to be less busy.

“The age is telling on me, working now for 6, 7, 8 hours a day in the office is no joke. Questions of executive council memos from as many states as possible to be considered virtually every week. So, really it is a lot of hard work, but I asked for it and I cannot complain.”

• Says I don’t expect Nigerians to appreciate me after leaving office

The President also said that he does not expect Nigerians to appreciate him when he leaves office but only for them to realize that he has done his best.

Speaking on his eagerness to hand over power, he said: “Yes, because, look, as you know I have been a Governor. I have been a minister and I’m in my second term as president. So, I have gone through the system. And really, what else can I do with this country?

“I have given my best and I hope after I leave Nigerians will reflect and at least not show appreciation. I’m not expecting any appreciation. But what I’m expecting is for Nigerians to say yes, this man has done his best. This is the most I’m expecting from Nigerians. But it’s no joke. I’m telling you.

“Look at the problem we’re having in the southeast now. How many police stations were taken over, weapons missing. We closed the border with Benin, we closed the border with Niger. But we had to accept the reality that the weapons are coming from our own armories, police stations have been attacked and so on. So, the main problem is, I hope, i will leave a more secure Nigeria than what it is now.”

President Buhari expressed optimism that the insecurity in the country can be resolved before he leaves office as he noted that the security forces are working hard on it just as more equipment and ammunition are being procured.

He stated: “Yes, the government is capable and is going to do it because members of the security, the armed forces and others, their own security depends on one Nigeria.

“So no matter, when people are selfish, it is their self first. So, even for their own selves, they better stabilize Nigeria and I believe they will do it.

“I know we’re short on resources. For example, dealing with the militants, if people bother to reflect on how we found the northeast and south-south and how much progress we have made and acquiring some helicopters, aircraft, their maintenance, their ammunition, armored cars, you know to counter effectively, the bandits. They cost money and they cost time for training and adaptation.”

• Says corrupt defectors to APC won’t go unpunished

President Buhari rejected the notion that corrupt politicians defect to the ruling All Progressive Congress (APC) to escape punishment, noting that as far as he is concerned such defections have not stopped his government’s insistence on accountability.

He explained: “I don’t like to accept that joining our party will check our insistence on accountability. We are very serious about people who aspire to lead at whatever level by their performance, by their integrity both professional and personal.

“But the problem is that we have to work within the system. Even if you suspect individuals, unless there is evidence, there isn’t much we can do. So, really, it is the system that makes it possible for some people really to even be corrupt.”

When pressed on whether the defectors will not be allowed to go free, he said: “They can’t. Nobody can go scot-free as far as I’m concerned.

“Imagine what the opposition could do to me if there is something along with my record, a lot of confusion could have been caused.

“But luckily I think we try to find officers with integrity and that is the best thing for Nigeria leadership at all levels. Behave with integrity. If that is done, we will achieve better results. If that is not done, a lot of time will be wasted in talking, quarreling and a lot of noise.”

• Insists ‘I’m not a kingmaker’

The President reiterated that he is not a kingmaker who will determine who becomes the next president.

He also noted that any Governor that tries to impose a candidate on the people will face problems.

According to him, “The Governors are like me, we are all going except for a few. But if they want to be kingmakers, that’s where they will have a lot of problems. If they want to institute somebody, somebody must inherit them from the party or elsewhere, then that’s where they will have a lot of problems.

“But if they have a free mind just to make sure that the system works, I think it will be cost-effective. This is what I believe, and this is why people are trying to ask me who do you want to succeed you and I say no, I am not a kingmaker.

“I tried three times and the fourth time, God gave me.”

• Opposition can take over if APC can’t agree

President Buhari warned that if the APC cannot get its act together over its national convention, the opposition can take over power in 2023.

He further explained: “My position is simple, I think I succeeded in trying to get my position understood in the sense that I said, we start from bottom upwards; from polling units to wards, to local governments, to states and then to Abuja.

“So, the party, because I’m concerned about my party, the party, in all constituencies they will know their positions, coming up. Therefore, when they come to Abuja, they are likely to work together.

“There is no kingmaker from Abuja, no constituency is being dictated to. All constituencies are supposed to produce their leadership in our party.

“What other parties are doing is their own business, but we want to make sure that our party members understand that they are respected. It is from polling unit, to ward to local government, to state and after Abuja. So, those who want to the elected at any level, let them work for it. Nobody is going to appoint anybody.”

He added: “We have timeframe we have to work because the four-year tenure is constitutional. It cannot be interfered with by anybody.

“So, if the party couldn’t agree, then the opposition can take over.

“What did the PDP do? They said the opposition could not come together, but when ACN, ANPP, CPC, APGA came together before PDP realized it, they were off, they are still off, they can see it.”

https://tribuneonlineng.com/age-telling-on-me-working-long-hours-%e2%80%95-buhari/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

4 Likes

Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jan 06, 2022
yes but u are a dictator,biased, and most clueless president ever.. The man cannot even understand a simple question when asked.i just wonder

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by lomprico(m): 10:30pm On Jan 06, 2022
You are not! You are just a buffon

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by vanbonattel: 10:31pm On Jan 06, 2022
Who dash you brain to be kingmaker?

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by 360degreess(m): 10:38pm On Jan 06, 2022
Hisbah21:
yes but u are a dictator,biased, and most clueless president ever.. The man cannot even understand a simple question when asked.i just wonder
.. Senseless point of view.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by Truthisunique: 10:42pm On Jan 06, 2022
Who needs to be one when you have your slave that can do the dirty work for you with bullion vans

5 Likes

Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by nrexzy: 10:53pm On Jan 06, 2022
Well said....

Abeg retire go chill biko u don try d country no just work....

Make we see d next hoodlums wey wan come take over

8 Likes

Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by Afamsi: 10:55pm On Jan 06, 2022
Buhari pls resign now. We really want you to go back to Daura and rest in peace if you no mind. 17 months still a long way

14 Likes

Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by nrexzy: 10:55pm On Jan 06, 2022
Hisbah21:

Wetin u write now make sense to u

Like say if u see buhari face to face ur life go remain same.... Bros weda u like am or no... He is the president of the fed rep of NIGERIA.. (Presido of the blackman)

9 Likes

Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by NwaNimo1(m): 1:07pm On Jan 07, 2022

6 Likes

Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by Nackzy: 1:07pm On Jan 07, 2022
You're not a kingmaker, you're a terrorist, Heartless, clueless, worst person ever created by God into the world.

10 Likes

Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by ayzTIGER: 1:08pm On Jan 07, 2022
Nawao Tinubu singlehandedly made you president e come reach Tinubu time you just dey use am like tissue paper. Hope he won't be flushed down the pit like Alimi, Awolowo and Abiola.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by oz4real83(m): 1:08pm On Jan 07, 2022
In a country where votes don't count, you are a kingmaker if you control the electoral body (INEC), the DSS, military, Efcc, the police, NDLEA, Customs, NSCDC and other security and crime fighting agencies. With these, the judiciary, legislature, party leaders and every other person will do the will of anybody with the control of all the agencies I listed above. Unfortunately, the president is in charge of them and he is the undisputed kingmaker in Nigeria no matter what he says, unless God says NO.

1 Like

Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by arejibadz(m): 1:09pm On Jan 07, 2022
u day mad

2 Likes

Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by everythinggirly(f): 1:09pm On Jan 07, 2022
Thank God you realized o
Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by datopaper(m): 1:09pm On Jan 07, 2022
President Buhari is a factor and he will continue for a long time. They say other thing and do other thing. They are not sincere.

Do we need to be told, you are kingmaker in APC

1 Like

Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by Aboguede(m): 1:09pm On Jan 07, 2022
Gbam
Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by STEWpid(f): 1:10pm On Jan 07, 2022
They are getting you busy with meme talks while they're emptying the remaining funds in the treasury.

Fok yu

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by Zealll: 1:10pm On Jan 07, 2022
Idiot

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by Praktikals(m): 1:10pm On Jan 07, 2022
angry
Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by beerfraud: 1:11pm On Jan 07, 2022
What Buhari is saying is that no chance for 5%ters
Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by Olympiacos(m): 1:12pm On Jan 07, 2022
Abeg stop posting buhari here again

1 Like

Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by goody234: 1:12pm On Jan 07, 2022
Nigerians i think you have learnt your lesson now ....young vibrant leader somebody hands on ...not a medical vacation expert

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by elonmuskbaby: 1:12pm On Jan 07, 2022
Baba ode grin

2 Likes

Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by Impregnable101: 1:13pm On Jan 07, 2022
This man mumu talk nor dey finish? I don tire already o

6 Likes

Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by patriotic007: 1:13pm On Jan 07, 2022
Please just go to London and stay small we are tired of hearing your voice

4 Likes

Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by Deltafirstson(m): 1:13pm On Jan 07, 2022
If this man to have another 4 year tenure to contest, will he be saying all these?
Nigeria politicians are terrible and wicked.
Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by Nyanmiridunce: 1:15pm On Jan 07, 2022
Bad news for nyanmiri dunces who want buhari to 'support east because it's their turn'.

Ibo mod, oya come and ban me as you've been doing lately. Let Seun be looking y'all while you destroy his forum. He thinks y'all are good people by entrusting his forum to your hands not knowing y'all are emotional dunces.

Na una go tire aswear

1 Like

Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by Freestyl(m): 1:15pm On Jan 07, 2022
God is the ultimate kingmaker!!!

Meet the first estate in Abuja to run 24/7 electricity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLM7jB8qu78
Re: "I Am Not A Kingmaker" - President Buhari by abobote: 1:15pm On Jan 07, 2022
We are tired of this disaster and his useless interview. Infact we are tired of anything that has to do with this foolish man

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

2023: Nigeria Is No Longer A Zoo - Dipo Awojide / ICPC Investigates Al-Bashir Ibrahim Saleh, Ambassador To Morocco Over $200,000 / Three-year Blueprint: FG Plans N26tn Borrowing, N29tn For Debt Servicing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.