Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,532 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

Visiting Nigeria - Suggestions? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Visiting Nigeria - Suggestions? (584 Views)

Visiting Nigeria For The First Time In 2 Years, Any Advice / Man Tricks Wife And Kids Into Visiting Nigeria, Dumps Them And Returns To Spain / 15 Things Foreigners Need To Know Before Visiting Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Visiting Nigeria - Suggestions? by OAra: 5:10am On Jan 08, 2022
A simple thread to ask about anything that Nairalanders think might be worth checking out on a 3-months trip in their country, as well as any suggestion they would give to a foreigner visiting.

Given the current travel restrictions, I'm planning to take the trip in the fall of 2022 / once the restrictions will be lifted. Regarding security I have read the main travel advice given by the Italian Foreign Ministry (avoid Imo, Anambra, Abia, Borno, Yobe and Adamawa; avoid going out late etc etc), but I wanted to ask some suggestions from locals, given that I'll obviously stand out due to my skin color.

Thanks a lot for any help

1 Like

Re: Visiting Nigeria - Suggestions? by Holybwoy: 5:37am On Jan 08, 2022
Whoever told you to avoid Imo and Anambra must be lieing cos as a yoruba man with zero igbo speaking ability, I just got back from a road trip (I drove my car myself to and fro) from Lagos to Owerri and also visited Awka and Onitsha.

There were foreigners walking alone on the road (most chinese and americans).

Most of the attacks you hear about are targeted or reprisal attacks (people who had an issue with others a long time or those who flaunts their wealth or disrespected strong locals).

You have a choice to stay away but I only want to educate you to stop believing everything you read online.

If you want, for a small fee, you can trust me to drive you around the entire place, from city to city..

I'd be glad to and my identity can be verified as well as your safety is guaranteed!

3 Likes

Re: Visiting Nigeria - Suggestions? by Joeblazeochola(m): 6:04am On Jan 08, 2022
Because of ur skin get a guide and/or a driver! Do it. You will not get very far without them, do not try to go on ur own especially in lagos it's impossible. You will be stopped by so called "Area Boys" at the next intersection. Just get a good guide (ask at the hotel you are staying at) and enjoy your time here.

Personally, I will advice u stay out of "trouble", i.e. no drugs, no hookers, no fights. In Nigeria, even refrained from going out at nights without someone u trust. U will probably miss out some unforgettable partying in Lagos (supposed to be great) but there are still plenty of ways to enjoy yourself during the day.

Try going to different regions. Naija is so diverse, its mind boggling. There are like 300 ethnicities with different languages, customs, traditions. So travel to different areas, e.g. Kano in the North which is heavily influenced by Islam and Arab culture (tribes are Hausa and Fulani), the South-East (Igbo and mainly Catholic) and Yoruba-Land (southwest, mainly Christian with large minority of muslims).

If ur stay is in Lagos or other large cities, you'll not see Nigeria. Hire a driver and discover the countryside. Visit a school in the middle of nowhere, you will see children that have never seen a white man in their lives and freak totally out. Get out of the car and speak to people. You will fall in love with them and get addicted to our vitality.

Note there are no agencies, just go to the reception of your hotel and ask for help. You'll be set in half an hour. they will find you a driver in no time!

Be openminded. Who knows, you might be asked play a short role in a Nollywood movie, You will never forget these things. But this requires that you are open minded. Remember foreigners are always welcomed in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Visiting Nigeria - Suggestions? by OAra: 6:14am On Jan 08, 2022
Joeblazeochola:
Because of ur skin get a guide and/or a driver! Do it. You will not get very far without them, do not try to go on ur own especially in lagos it's impossible. You will be stopped by so called "Area Boys" at the next intersection. Just get a good guide (ask at the hotel you are staying at) and enjoy your time here.

Personally, I will advice u stay out of "trouble", i.e. no drugs, no hookers, no fights. In Nigeria, even refrained from going out at nights without someone u trust. U will probably miss out some unforgettable partying in Lagos (supposed to be great) but there are still plenty of ways to enjoy yourself during the day.

Try going to different regions. Naija is so diverse, its mind boggling. There are like 300 ethnicities with different languages, customs, traditions. So travel to different areas, e.g. Kano in the North which is heavily influenced by Islam and Arab culture (tribes are Hausa and Fulani), the South-East (Igbo and mainly Catholic) and Yoruba-Land (southwest, mainly Christian with large minority of muslims).

If ur stay is in Lagos or other large cities, you'll not see Nigeria. Hire a driver and discover the countryside. Visit a school in the middle of nowhere, you will see children that have never seen a white man in their lives and freak totally out. Get out of the car and speak to people. You will fall in love with them and get addicted to our vitality.

Note there are no agencies, just go to the reception of your hotel and ask for help. You'll be set in half an hour. they will find you a driver in no time!

Be openminded. Who knows, you might be asked play a short role in a Nollywood movie, You will never forget these things. But this requires that you are open minded. Remember foreigners are always welcomed in Nigeria

Thanks a lot for the comprehensive reply, and yeah one of the many things I read online is to (quite literally) "get out" of the big cities to experience the true country. I wanted to ask how bad is the situation regarding the North and the South-East, given that at least the Italian Foreign Ministry advises to avoid the area(s), but of course a local would likely known more about it
Re: Visiting Nigeria - Suggestions? by Joeblazeochola(m): 7:03am On Jan 08, 2022
We are confronted by multiple security challenges, notably the Boko Haram Islamist insurgency in the north east, increasing violence between herders and farming communities spreading from the North central southward, and the separatist Biafra agitation in the south east wch i think is the reason why Abia, Anambra, imo, were listed. NOW, Violence, particularly by the Boko Haram insurgency, has displaced more than two million people and have created a massive humanitarian crisis wch has prompted the rise of civilian vigilante self-defence groups. Even we from the south are very careful wen we visit places like Borno, Yobe and Adamawa. That's why u need a guide/a local to keep you out of troubles
Re: Visiting Nigeria - Suggestions? by Germaineus: 2:15pm On Jan 08, 2022
If you want to make it to port Harcourt and the east,I could be of help..plus do not trust people easily,that is the way I operate..some people will sell you out...
I know for a fact that port Harcourt is safe,I have been here for years..I can tell you that..
I am from the east of Nigeria,don't know how safe it is cuz of the sit at home by the likes of ipob..
If you want to make it to port Harcourt,just give me a ring ,I can be of help
Whatsapp:09014747820
Re: Visiting Nigeria - Suggestions? by Evidenx(m): 7:36pm On Jan 08, 2022
OAra:
A simple thread to ask about anything that Nairalanders think might be worth checking out on a 3-months trip in their country, as well as any suggestion they would give to a foreigner visiting.

Given the current travel restrictions, I'm planning to take the trip in the fall of 2022 / once the restrictions will be lifted. Regarding security I have read the main travel advice given by the Italian Foreign Ministry (avoid Imo, Anambra, Abia, Borno, Yobe and Adamawa; avoid going out late etc etc), but I wanted to ask some suggestions from locals, given that I'll obviously stand out due to my skin color.

Stay away from the north,I repeat stay away from the northern and eastern states of Nigeria.
If you want to visit the south especially ancient city of Benin,the first tribe to have contact with the Europeans in Nigeria,then holla at me.
Benin,Lagos and warri will and abuja should be fun for you. And am willing to assist you through these cities.

1 Like

Re: Visiting Nigeria - Suggestions? by Limassol(m): 10:08am On Jan 09, 2022
Evidenx:

Stay away from the north,I repeat stay away from the northern and eastern states of Nigeria.
If you want to visit the south especially ancient city of Benin,the first tribe to have contact with the Europeans in Nigeria,then holla at me.
Benin,Lagos and warri will and abuja should be fun for you. And am willing to assist you through these cities.
is Abuja not part of the north? just so you know some northern cities such as Kano are as safe as Benin(if not safer), inquire from your kinsmen living there so you get a balanced picture. Suggesting he cancelled the north due to insecurity is misguided.
Re: Visiting Nigeria - Suggestions? by OAra: 6:04pm On Jan 09, 2022
Joeblazeochola:
We are confronted by multiple security challenges, notably the Boko Haram Islamist insurgency in the north east, increasing violence between herders and farming communities spreading from the North central southward, and the separatist Biafra agitation in the south east wch i think is the reason why Abia, Anambra, imo, were listed. NOW, Violence, particularly by the Boko Haram insurgency, has displaced more than two million people and have created a massive humanitarian crisis wch has prompted the rise of civilian vigilante self-defence groups. Even we from the south are very careful wen we visit places like Borno, Yobe and Adamawa. That's why u need a guide/a local to keep you out of troubles

The "plan" for now would be to organize the trip via the Italian embassy, since apparently they do have a list of hotels/restaurants/etc that are reliable in their eyes, and then I'd simply ask for guides/etc at the reception of any hotel from that list that I'd stay in. Not the best plan, but better than nothing I guess

Limassol:
is Abuja not part of the north? just so you know some northern cities such as Kano are as safe as Benin(if not safer), inquire from your kinsmen living there so you get a balanced picture. Suggesting he cancelled the north due to insecurity is misguided.

I'm going off what the main Western websites say about which regions to avoid, so their list might be accurate or not - hence me asking other Nairalanders about what is the situation "on the ground" so to speak
Re: Visiting Nigeria - Suggestions? by Akuruoulo(m): 12:33pm On Jan 11, 2022
OAra:

The avoid Imo , Abia and Anambra is quit laughable. Am a Native of IMO ( THE EASTERN HEARTLAND) and from the Capital city "OWERRI". The fear/panic there is mostly caused by the Nigerian military , who are hell bent on silencing the voice of the easterners via their ply for referendum and that of our stubborn headed individuals who doesn't want to be silenced.
This gat nothing no do with the safety of the foreigners because no foreigner have ever been hurt, neither is their safety questioned anywhere around the East , even in the So called Orlu where the heat is much. If u wish been in the East just come with the assurance that everywhere is safe ,and no place in Nigeria can be as safe as the Eastern part of Nigeria for mostly foreigners.
OUR DEAR AMIABLE LOLO IFUNANYA ( AUSTRIAN WOMAN ) AND NWANYIOCHA ( SWISS ) VISITED THEIR HOMES IN ANAMBRA AND IMO WITHOUT A SCRATCH. LOLO IFUNANYA WAS REALLY SHOCKED WHEN SHE CAME LAST YEAR AT THE HEAT OF THE UNREST HAPPING IN ORLU(IMO State) WITHOUT NOTICING ANY FEAR FACTOR.
U CAN CONFIRM FROM " NWANYIOCHA " WHO IS STILL IN ANAMBRA UP TO DATE TO CONFIRM THE SAFENESS OF THE EAST.

THE BEST IS TO SAFE AWAY FROM NIGERIA ENTIRELY , IF U HAVE A BIT DOUBT IN YOU.

THESE " NWANYIOCHA AND LOLO IFUNANYA " IS THE FACEBOOK NAME U CAN GET IN TOUCH WITH THEM .
TAKE THEIR ADVICE AT HEART , BECAUSE THEY KNOW BETTER AS YOUR FELLOW WHITES .
VISITING NIGERIA OUTSIDE THE EASTERN IS JUST LIKE VISITING 40% OF THE NATION.
I REMAIN MY HUMBLE SAY " ANYAMELE KELVIN AKURUOULO " .

1 Like

Re: Visiting Nigeria - Suggestions? by FriendsAndFans(m): 11:06pm On Feb 09, 2022
OAra:

L
Whenever you are around, I will like to show you around. Hopefully
Re: Visiting Nigeria - Suggestions? by Obagreatdatoye(m): 12:04am On Feb 10, 2022
The only region in Nigeria safe for you is SW and some SS states like Akwa ibom, Edo and Delta.... Don't go beyond this places.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Australia Vs Canada? Which Country Is Better / How To Get Permanent Residence In The UK / Inside Abuja Three Arm Zone - Most Restricted Place In Abuja Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.