Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,172 members, 7,821,973 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:08 PM

Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) (68060 Views)

Meet Gadzama: The Pilot Who Flew The Crashed King Air 350 Aircraft In Abuja / Dangote Truck Collides With ‘God Is Good Motors’ Bus At Auchi Junction / Truck Loaded With Cows Collides With High-Tension Wire In Anambra (Graphic Pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by TMKsouth: 9:17am On Jan 09, 2022
Yes, it happened!

One of South Africa's Airlink aircraft collided with Africa’s heaviest flying bird - the Kori bustard - snapping off a propeller blade and sending it hurtling into the cabin.

The incident happened on Monday.

The crew and passengers on this charter flight from Johannesburg to Limpopo province had a lucky escape.

The airline said in a statement that an Airlink Jetstream 41 aircraft operating a private charter flight struck a large bird upon landing at Venetia airfield.

The large bird, believed to be a kori bustard, flew into the right-hand propeller. The Kori Bustard is Africa’s heaviest flying bird. A large male can weigh as much as 19kg and have a wingspan of 275cm.

“None of the passengers or crew were injured, although the aircraft sustained substantial damage.

“In compliance with aviation protocols and regulations, the occurrence was reported to the South African Civil Aviation Authority (SACAA), which will conduct an investigation,” it said.

Airlink furthermore said the damaged aircraft remains at Venetia airfield pending the SACAA’s inspection and a full damage assessment.

Photos from inside the aircraft show splinters of wood strewn across the floor.

The blade luckily landed in an area of the cabin which was unoccupied.

Bits of the propeller embedded in a seat and fragments scattered on the aircraft floor can be seen in the photos. The blade gouged a hole in the fuselage and broke a cabin window.

Bird strikes have been an all-too-common occurrence since the dawn of aviation.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timeslive.co.za/amp/news/south-africa/2022-01-05-lucky-escape-for-passengers-after-airlink-plane-collides-with-bird/

6 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by TMKsouth: 9:18am On Jan 09, 2022
Male kori bustards range in weight from 11-19 kilograms and females are roughly half the size of the males. They are the Africa's heaviest flying birds. They also stand about 1.5 meters tall. Kori bustards are distributed throughout eastern and southern Africa. They inhabit wide, open grasslands and lightly wooded savanna.

20 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by DankemzI(m): 9:23am On Jan 09, 2022
This is a typical example of when your village people have your GPS coordinates shocked shocked

150 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by chatinent: 9:24am On Jan 09, 2022
You mean na that kind soft wood dem use do plane?

510 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by FBIBOT(m): 9:26am On Jan 09, 2022
grin village pifu

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by thesicilian: 9:27am On Jan 09, 2022
Was the plane made of cardboard paper?

221 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by softwerk(f): 9:31am On Jan 09, 2022
angry

Only Pastor Righteousness89 can explain this unnatural phenomenon!

I am too small to comment on this .

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by Amotolongbo(f): 9:41am On Jan 09, 2022
thesicilian:
Looks like that part was made of plywood and eaten by rodents to me

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by lkillbrokehoes: 9:44am On Jan 09, 2022
Amotolongbo:
Looks like that part was made of plywood and eaten by rodents to me
Lol Amotolongbo my nigga, you might be right though.

So that aeroplane made with cardboard is SA biggest airline, incredulous!
cheesy

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by TMKsouth: 9:45am On Jan 09, 2022
chatinent:

It's a 90s model, looks like modern planes use aluminium.

Wood was commonly used in older planes.

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by Irupetepete: 9:51am On Jan 09, 2022
More like kori bastard...

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by TMKsouth: 9:56am On Jan 09, 2022
lkillbrokehoes:

So that aeroplane made with cardboard is SA biggest airline, incredulous!
cheesy

Fancy meeting you in yet another SA thread trolling as usual, my dear Ikissbrokejoes cheesy

Are you confusing SA Airlink with SA Airways (SAA). Been overdosing on mkupu mmiri my brother? cheesy

FYI, SA's largest airline is ComAir (Kulula.com), followed by SAA, then Mango and then FlySAFair.

These 4 are part of Africa's Top 10 biggest airlines. I looked everywhere for a single Nigerian airline on the list and couldn't find any cry

https://www.theafricalogistics.com/2020/06/22/top-10-largest-airlines-in-africa-2/

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by Gadafii: 10:59am On Jan 09, 2022
In Nigeria this would have been termed village people, poor bird would have been set on fire while passengers troop to churches today to give testimony grin

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by Nobody: 11:13am On Jan 09, 2022
It was the Propeller force that sent the bird to break the cabin window.

The bird hitting directly on the cabin window cannot break it.

A small stone of 1 kilogram will cause thesame damage to the window if it hits the propeller at the same angle.

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by fati2001(m): 11:33am On Jan 09, 2022
TMKsouth:

Fancy meeting you in yet another SA thread trolling as usual, my dear Ikissbrokejoes cheesy

Are you confusing SA Airlink with SA Airways (SAA). Been overdosing on mkupu mmiri my brother? cheesy

FYI, SA's largest airline is ComAir (Kulula.com), followed by SAA, then Mango and then FlySAFair.

These 4 are part of Africa's Top 10 biggest airlines. I looked everywhere for a single Nigerian airline on the list and couldn't find any cry

https://www.theafricalogistics.com/2020/06/22/top-10-largest-airlines-in-africa-2/

UP NAIJA @GIANT OF AFRICA cool

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by TMKsouth: 11:48am On Jan 09, 2022
fati2001:

fati2001

grin grin grin

I know Ikissbrokejoes. He has a love-hate relationship with SA.

2 Likes

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by fati2001(m): 11:52am On Jan 09, 2022
TMKsouth:

grin grin grin

I know Ikissbrokejoes. He has a love-hate relationship with SA.

LOLZ

THAT IS DEVIL IN HUMAN FORM..
HE HATE ANYTHING GOOD ABOUT SOMETHING or SOMEONE.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by TMKsouth: 12:12pm On Jan 09, 2022
fati2001:

LOLZ

THAT IS DEVIL IN HUMAN FORM..
HE HATE ANYTHING GOOD ABOUT SOMETHING or SOMEONE.

Don't worry - I've made it my mission to beat the 'hell' out of him on this forum cheesy

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by lkillbrokehoes: 12:17pm On Jan 09, 2022
TMKsouth:

Don't worry - I've made it my mission to beat the 'hell' out of him on this forum cheesy

Hahahahaha xenophobic negro, you never told me you got a b*tch on this forum, btw both of you befits each other, very useless and jobless set of people. cheesy

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by lkillbrokehoes: 12:20pm On Jan 09, 2022
thesicilian:
That's the so called ShitFrica best aeroplane, these xenophobic niggas never cease to amaze me. grin

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by Ahmback(m): 12:23pm On Jan 09, 2022
lkillbrokehoes:
Hahahahaha xenophobic negro, you never told me you got a b*tch on this forum, btw both of you befits each, very useless and jobless set of people. cheesy
chairman

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by lkillbrokehoes: 12:26pm On Jan 09, 2022
Ahmback:
chairman
Comrade cool
Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by Ahmback(m): 12:30pm On Jan 09, 2022
lkillbrokehoes:
Comrade cool
easy on him

1 Like

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by Jeon(f): 12:30pm On Jan 09, 2022
[s]
lkillbrokehoes:
Hahahahaha xenophobic negro, you never told me you got a b*tch on this forum, btw both of you befits each other, very useless and jobless set of people. cheesy
[/s]

yet, here you are very useless for even thing and make a comment about the ppl you called useless and jobless....

SMH

I HAVE NEVER SAW /OR CAME ACROSS YOUR POST DOING GIVE AWAY TO UR COMERADES grin Yet yOU ALWAYS CLAIMED JOBNESS cry

how is your darling? HOPE SAY SHE NEVER REMOVE ALL THE INTESTINES FINISH IN THE NAME OF ABORTION.. and hope say YOU STILL WIFE HER AFTER EXPANDING THE VAGINA CANAL? cry

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by TMKsouth: 12:35pm On Jan 09, 2022
lkillbrokehoes:
That's the so called ShitFrica best aeroplane, these xenophobic niggas never cease to amaze me. grin

On this list of Africa's Top10 airlines, I searched for COWgerian Airways (a place where cows are more valuable than you) - but couldn't find it undecided

3 Likes

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by lkillbrokehoes: 12:37pm On Jan 09, 2022
Ahmback:
easy on him
No I won't take it easy on that nigga, he doesn't deserve peace. grin

Just look at the useless person switching accounts to like her posts, from fati2001 to jeon, f*cking nonentity.

3 Likes

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jan 09, 2022
chatinent:
Lol
Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by lkillbrokehoes: 12:47pm On Jan 09, 2022
fati2001:

[s]YOU ARE USELESS AND A BIG FOOL..

WHO CAN TAKE YOUR POSITION ON NAIRALAND INTERMS OF SWITCHING UP IN DIFFERENT MONIKERS TO TROLL? and ALSO DENY EVEN WHEN YOU ARE CAUGHT RED HANDED cool

you are the perfect description of this photo

POT CALL-IN KETTLE BLACK[/s]
Ahmback I give you this useless person, I don't have time for nonentities and lowlifes

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by Ahmback(m): 12:52pm On Jan 09, 2022
lkillbrokehoes:
Ahmback I give you this useless person, I don't have time for nonentities and lowlifes
Neither do i. You can't cure permanent madness

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kori Bustard Collides With Airlink Aircraft In South Africa (Photos) by fati2001(m): 12:53pm On Jan 09, 2022
[s]
lkillbrokehoes:
[/s]

WEAK ASS LEAF THAT AS BEEN REJECTED BY THE BRANCH OF A TREE...

U ARE USELESS AND LOWLIFE FOR SHARING THE SAME FORUM WITH ME..

GO TO LIPSTICK ALLEY AND SEE HOW WE ROLL THERE, NO TIME FOR STUPIDITY YOU DISPLAY HERE ON NL.. YOU TALK SHIT, WE TELL OR PUT YOU WHERE YOU BELONG..

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

This Is What Lagos Looks Like On Weekends - Photos / From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle / Sisy Arias Co-pilot Who Died In The Colombia Crash During Her First Flight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.