Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,964 members, 7,821,383 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:16 PM

Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? (27353 Views)

Why Does Xiaomi Note 11 Refresh Browser Page When Minimized / Which Mobile Data Network Is Fastest And Reliable? / Which Mobile Data Provider Is Currently The Best In Terms Of Cost & Reliability? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by girexa5939: 2:38pm On Jan 16, 2022
Go
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by xpressionx(m): 2:38pm On Jan 16, 2022
Abeg mtn data don show me pepper.
Which data lasts longer?

1 Like

Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by Chiderao1(m): 2:39pm On Jan 16, 2022
No, � it doesn't.

1 Like

Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by Hisbah9: 2:41pm On Jan 16, 2022
Vickyvice:
yes.very well.just check your data balance, and leave the data on for fifteen minutes, and check again, 4 mb don commot. D browsers, software and updates are updating. For Android phones
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jan 16, 2022
lifezone247:
So often people tend to switch off their mobile data. Most times they will tell you they want to preserve their data, some actually did it to preserve battery consultations anyway. But does switching off mobile data actually preserved data usages? Mine is always on 24/7.

I don't think its save data

Anyway start making money with our new Affiliate marketing....Registration is Free Check my signature and start the Journey of Financial Breakthrough
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by bergs2: 2:44pm On Jan 16, 2022
What a question!
One day somebody would still ask:
Does shutting down your generator save fuel?
Or
Does switching off your phone save battery?
Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by MartinsD12(m): 2:47pm On Jan 16, 2022
lifezone247:
So often people tend to switch off their mobile data. Most times they will tell you they want to preserve their data, some actually did it to preserve battery consultations anyway. But does switching off mobile data actually preserved data usages? Mine is always on 24/7.
I don't think switching off data preserve data rather it saves battery life of your phone , even if you switch off data once your phone is on the same will be used
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by jericco1(m): 2:51pm On Jan 16, 2022
I don't really know though because I don't see much difference
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by twosquare(m): 2:53pm On Jan 16, 2022
Don't put it to auto-download. Even Facebook, ensure it is not on autoplay for videos too
michlins:
Say you switch off your data and received ten messages and twelve pictures and stuff. They're all waiting for your data to come back on to use the same amount of data.

The only way you can save data is leaving your phone idle. Leave YouTube and stop refreshing those social media websites
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by Enyimbamercedes: 2:54pm On Jan 16, 2022
Only if you have apps which download or upload data in the background.

When you switch on your data, they'll only resume downloading. Rather than turn off data, it is better to ensure you turn off automatic updates, turn off push notifications, turn off auto download of videos and images on whatsapp, stop auto syncing of emails.

1 Like

Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by Tribalism123(m): 2:54pm On Jan 16, 2022
Yes
These are the reasons.
1. Updates only happen when data is on
2. Adverts consume data and only happens when data is on.
3: sharing hotspots and using the data only happen when data is on.
4. Updates in another person's phone during Xender file sharing happens when data is on.

But we developers dont mind data consumption because we actually want it to consume.
Subscription makes us big boys. Imagine buying 10k mtn and a fresh babe is there. Do u need to further explain urself?
Lol
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by educhigo: 2:58pm On Jan 16, 2022
Oop go and hustle for money,if you get money you no go think of data.. OBI cubana no dey think of data... ; grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by Femeto: 2:58pm On Jan 16, 2022
Them no dey tell blind man say rain dey fall.
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by ignis: 3:02pm On Jan 16, 2022
Let me go and ask Obi Cubana
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by Elonmuzk(m): 3:07pm On Jan 16, 2022
YoungBlackRico:
leave all those olodo up there.

Serious olodos, I am even surprised this is being debated grin grin grin grin

NOTE: Once your phone is on, whether being used or not, your data is being consumed by Background Processes unless that's turned off.

https://www.quora.com/Is-my-mobile-data-used-up-when-turned-on-but-Im-not-using-my-phone
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by linearity: 3:19pm On Jan 16, 2022
Freelancerx:
I think so, there is something called background data usage

Background data usage or background refresh are usually status messages call keepalives.

They consume minimal data in bytes and are not noticeable on your overall data usage. Sometimes, they are just an ‘are you alive’ and a response like ‘ok’ been sent between a server and your client application. In techie, we call them ‘control’ messages they are not much.

Also automatic backups or updates eat lots of data, but this cancels out because once you switch on your data, the automatic backup will kick in and consume the same amount of data.

Also note that, when you switch off your phone and the apps are no longer able to send and receive their background refresh data, the status of the app times out on the server end. Therefore, the next time you switch on your data and the app try to communicate with the server, the app and the server will have to send and receive more data now to authenticate themselves, establish their states, etc. So unless you intend switching it off for days, you end of burning more data.

So, if the goal is to save power, then switching it off will achieve that, but if it is data you what to save, you won’t achieve much.

3 Likes

Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by Eriokanmi: 3:27pm On Jan 16, 2022
Dam5reey:

It does not, it may limit you from browsing and using data anyhow, It only saves battery...

Once you on data it will synchronize all the Notifications you missed..
To an extent, it saves data. Even after you switch your data on, the sync you talked about won't consume your data immediately, it's gradual. You can check your mail for that very important message youre expecting, which probably made you to off data, reply to mails, check WhatsApp messages etc, before the sync finally eats up your remaining data. Look at it this way, you have only 50mb data , meanwhile you're not at a place where you could recharge or maybe your bank's app and network are fluctuating such that you can't recharge your line over USSD but then you're expecting an important mail. If your data is switched off, you can save save data, which youd need to read your mail, send quick replies etc. That could save you a lot and turn your life around if the message is so important. I had experienced this severally.
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by lomprico(m): 3:28pm On Jan 16, 2022
Vickyvice:
yes.very well.just check your data balance, and leave the data on for fifteen minutes, and check again, 4 mb don commot. D browsers, software and updates are updating. For Android phones

You can disable all that if you want

1 Like

Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by Eaglesence: 3:36pm On Jan 16, 2022
Vickyvice:

Abeg my dears. Which is the best phone to go for that will beat hackers attempts? A list from the best will be appreciated
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by Moony45: 3:37pm On Jan 16, 2022
Its just like asking if not having sex makes you remain a virgin grin
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by Dam5reey(m): 3:41pm On Jan 16, 2022
Eaglesence:

Abeg my dears. Which is the best phone to go for that will beat hackers attempts? A list from the best will be appreciated

Pixels Phones, You get Monthly Security updates... Reason I use Pixel 4a, since Iphone is currently on the high side..
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by rrhostomy(m): 3:44pm On Jan 16, 2022
Dam5reey:

It does not, it may limit you from browsing and using data anyhow, It only saves battery...

Once you on data it will synchronize all the Notifications you missed..

This is a lie. Apps makers do not send messages to people with no/low data. You only get those notifications Those texts enters your phone only when you switch on your mobile data.
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by Bamzyriches451: 3:46pm On Jan 16, 2022
Damn.
Only people that are managing data use to do that.
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by AdeMoss: 3:49pm On Jan 16, 2022
Certain applications default setting is to allow downloads and at times push notifications when it is Wi-fi and not cellular data. However, if you make the settings the same it won't matter because it will consume same data regardless. Also, if you use your mobile data as hotspot, the other device connected to it will assume it is WiFi and drain your data
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by Ijaya123: 3:53pm On Jan 16, 2022
lifezone247:

No. It doesn’t minimise data consumption.

It only makes your battery last longer before charging again.
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by cobso5164: 3:53pm On Jan 16, 2022
.com (I removed the space between Up and Ghana). The site is nice. It will be good alternative to NL
This is the best site for any Nigerian who wants to connect to Ghana
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by Ijaya123: 3:57pm On Jan 16, 2022
lifezone247:
any reason for that? Pls enlighten me. I mean does charging your phone also consumes data?

It makes your phone charge faster.
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by tampadollarsign(m): 3:57pm On Jan 16, 2022
Oya see boss LA na y dem refer too as after you na you �AGBA twale
Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by donhils: 4:20pm On Jan 16, 2022
It doesn't really save much as some people would like to believe. There's background data usage, which takes a very minute and negligible amount of data. Those of you talking about apps updating in the background, it doesn't work like that. You're supposed to switch off all those background stuff and use your phone normally. It's good to leave your data always on so you can receive all those instant messages in real time

1 Like

Re: Does Switching Off Mobile Data Minimized Data Consumptions? by Kmf0: 4:23pm On Jan 16, 2022
Yeah

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Innjoo Fire Guide & Development Thread!!! / Is This The End Of Etisalat Nigeria? / Do You Want To Know If Your Nokia Cell Phone Is Original/fake Product? See This.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.