Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,230 members, 7,815,297 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:26 AM

Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes (7515 Views)

NSCDC Promotes Shem Obafiaye To Deputy Commandant-General / Shun Religion, Ethnicity In Choosing Tinubu’s VP, Ex-Deputy Govs Urge APC / Miyetti Allah To Southern Govs: Let’s Reach A Compromise On Open Grazing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by Shooyie: 7:57am On Jan 11, 2022
Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on Monday called for synergy in resolving boundary disputes across Nigeria.

Prof. Osinbajo who is the chairman of the National Boundary Commission stated this in a meeting with deputy governors regarding boundary issues at the old Aso Villa Banquet Hall.

The Vice President explained that the handling of border disputes requires a good knowledge of the issues, and in my view, sincerity of purpose and sensitivity.

“Your Excellencies, I thank you very much for taking the time to be here for this event and especially also to welcome you all to this meeting, perhaps the first of its kind in the history of the National Boundary Commission itself and certainly the first in the life of our administration.

“The idea of this meeting came from discussions I have had at various times with several of your excellencies and most recently with a group of your excellencies who were concerned that the potential of the Commission to settle disputes and minimize inter-state rancour and instability would be greatly assisted by the Commission interacting directly with responsible state functionaries and getting a better sense of how they think their border disputes could be more efficiently and more successfully tackled.

He added that, “I fully agreed that such an interaction was necessary and important after all, the users of the services of the Commission are best suited to give useful feedbacks and in any event, such an interaction would be an opportunity to jointly review the work of the Commission so far and to chart a pathway to peaceful management of our inter-state boundaries. And we cannot stress this enough: the attempt to try and resolve boundary issues as peacefully as possible.

“Land is an emotive issue, and this is so, not just in our country, but everywhere. It accounts in many cases for the mindless violence and sometimes fatalities that result from border disputes and clashes. For many of our people, it is the very essence of their identity; in some cases, it is tied to ancestry and ancient unresolved rivalries. But lost on many combatants is the fact that many of these boundary lines are in many cases merely for administrative convenience, the sorts of disputes we have, even if there are, shouldn’t result in violence and dislocation of so many of our people.

“So the handling of border disputes requires a good knowledge of the issues, and in my view, sincerity of purpose and sensitivity. This can only be effectively done at the highest levels of governance which is why the National Boundary Commission (Establishment Act) 2006, provides organs at all three levels of government establish State Boundary Committees under the chairmanship of the Deputy Governor in each State of the Federation and the Permanent Secretary at the FCT.

Osinbajo explained that, “While the Vice President chairs the internal National Border Commission, (the apex body for resolving border disputes), I believe that bold, fair-minded, just, courageous and patriotic leadership is required to settle border disputes without politicization and heightened tensions. Very often you find that where politicians play ethnic or religious games, it merely exacerbates otherwise straightforward issues, and may frequently result in violence and death.

“I believe it is responsible leadership that can sit at the table with other leaders and agree to give and take, make concessions that are often difficult and be able to communicate the issues to their constituents and populace. It is that kind of courageous leadership the Law had in mind when those of us who are put into positions of responsibility with respect to border disputes are placed in those positions.

“In that difficult but crucial enterprise, the Border Commission has a vital and sensitive role to play as an expert body, and as an honest and trustworthy broker. It is supposed to be balanced, which is why we have the Honourable Members of the Commission who are from all the 6 geo-political zones and they have introduced themselves already.

“Because the Commission is a public resource, whose credibility in dispute resolution is fundamental, we all have a duty to support the Commission, but also to keep it honest and on its toes all the time, because the role of the Commission is central to everything we do in border dispute resolution.

“So I hope this interaction will help the process of achieving some of these objectives. This meeting is not meant to review specific border disputes or issues otherwise we would not leave here till the end of the month. We have provided just for your information, a list of the current status of border disputes and the list of all border disputes.

“The Director-General will take us through an overview of the structure of the Commission and how it does its work and the current state of affairs in general terms. I expect that after his presentation, we will have a robust discussion on the issues but focusing, if I may request of you, on suggestions on how to improve the work of the Commission.

“Once again let me thank you for taking the time to attend this meeting and assure you that the Board of the Commission will give urgent and full attention to all recommendations that are made at this very important meeting,” he said.

https://www.chronicle.ng/2022/01/*osinbajo*-to-deputy-govs-lets-resolve-border-disputes/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by Houseofglam7(f): 8:13am On Jan 11, 2022
undecided
Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by nairavsdollars(f): 8:13am On Jan 11, 2022
What can bunch of spare tyres resolve?

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by merits(m): 8:14am On Jan 11, 2022
grin we are not ready sir.

Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by God1000(m): 8:15am On Jan 11, 2022
I'm more interested in his presidential aspiration

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by BIZNess123(m): 8:15am On Jan 11, 2022
angry

Osinbajo is working..

Like for tinubu

Share for osinbajo

6 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by PrinceMajestic: 8:15am On Jan 11, 2022
Good one Mr Star Boy. Pls we want you to resist Tinubu's bully and run for president. Ibb, many elder statesmen and Nigerian youths wants you
Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by guywitzerogal(m): 8:15am On Jan 11, 2022
Instead of you guys to discuss and find solutions to the hardship condition of the country.... What dispute
Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by Irupetepete: 8:16am On Jan 11, 2022
grin
Borders into Nigeria just be like Twitter, those who Sabi use VPN knows how to come in and smuggle Goods in
Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:17am On Jan 11, 2022
Anything that will bring peace and Tranquillity to our darling nation is all we want.

God bless Nigeria.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by Carlylepneuma: 8:17am On Jan 11, 2022
Any move which will turn into collective good is welcome sir...
Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by Bedtec: 8:18am On Jan 11, 2022
Any BMC that commented on this thread but always avoid threads where People are being killed Motor go kill you

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by utenwuson: 8:20am On Jan 11, 2022
Only few state deputy governors are popular....
I can't even name three
Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by FBIBOT(m): 8:22am On Jan 11, 2022
Some get intelligence but no opportunity to showcase

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by Osiris12: 8:40am On Jan 11, 2022
They should also discuss how they’re gonna be building the Berlin Wall standard type of fence to divide Nigeria very soon.

This country might cease to exist by year end

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by Babaken(m): 8:54am On Jan 11, 2022
BIZNess123:
angry

Osinbajo is working..

Like for tinubu

Share for osinbajo
I just love this man. He knows where is paining the masses.
Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by Babaken(m): 8:55am On Jan 11, 2022
guywitzerogal:
Instead of you guys to discuss and find solutions to the hardship condition of the country.... What dispute
this one too is part of it bro.
Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by Babaken(m): 8:55am On Jan 11, 2022
Irupetepete:
grin
Borders into Nigeria just be like Twitter, those who Sabi use VPN knows how to come in and smuggle Goods in
I tell you.
Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by OakConsultNG: 8:56am On Jan 11, 2022
Good one..

Resolve to list your business among the successful ones this season. Talk to us at OakShire Consults to register your Business, Church, NGO and Incorporate your company with the CAC today & get a massive 20% DISCOUNT!

Change of Directors and Re-Allotment of shares?

Check our signature and page for more details.
Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by Stronghold91: 9:05am On Jan 11, 2022
this man is the solution to the Nigeria problem
Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by Jollylolly(f): 9:07am On Jan 11, 2022
This unprecedented.... This man knows how to handle issues really. Leader we need

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by Devil1Messenger: 9:15am On Jan 11, 2022
God1000:
I'm more interested in his presidential aspiration
U say?
Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by Devil1Messenger: 9:18am On Jan 11, 2022
BIZNess123:
angry

Osinbajo is working..

Like for tinubu

Share for osinbajo
Please how can osinbajo be working. Are u normal at all. The last time I checked he was saddled with the responsibilities of handling the economy. A sachet of water is now N20. The economy is in shambles. Or u ain't in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by Devil1Messenger: 9:18am On Jan 11, 2022
PrinceMajestic:
Good one Mr Star Boy. Pls we want you to resist Tinubu's bully and run for president. Ibb, many elder statesmen and Nigerian youths wants you
Speak for urself please. Nobody wants a failure
Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by Devil1Messenger: 9:20am On Jan 11, 2022
Stronghold91:
this man is the solution to the Nigeria problem
God forbid
Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by PrinceMajestic: 9:20am On Jan 11, 2022
Devil1Messenger:

Speak for urself please. Nobody wants a failure
if star Boy is a failure then your entire generation are failures
Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by Devil1Messenger: 9:23am On Jan 11, 2022
Jollylolly:
This unprecedented.... This man knows how to handle issues really. Leader we need
Handle issues and he was given the economy to handle only for him to turn us to the poverty headquarter of the world. We nor dey ever learn.
Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by Devil1Messenger: 9:25am On Jan 11, 2022
PrinceMajestic:
if star Boy is a failure then your entire generation are failures
Attack the message not the messenger.
How do u describe someone that was handed the economy only for him to turn us to the poverty headquarters of the world. One sachet of water is now N20, every thing is on the rise. Is that not a failure. Let's remove setiments and face facts.

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo To Deputy Govs: Let’s Resolve Border Disputes by PrinceMajestic: 9:28am On Jan 11, 2022
Devil1Messenger:

Attack the message not the messenger.
How do u describe someone that was handed the economy only for him to turn us to the poverty headquarters of the world. One sachet of water is now N20, every thing is on the rise. Is that not a failure. Let's remove setiments and face facts.
I am talking of Yemi Osinbajo and not his empty headed Terrorist boss. Osinbajo as we all see his being bullied in aso rock and cannot make progressive economic policies without approval from the Terrorists cabals of Aso rock

(1) (2) (Reply)

LASG Pays ₦‎1.5 Billion WASSCE Fees For 58,000 Students / Buhari Presents 2017 Budget To N’Assembly Today / How Will Igbo Not Lose If Nigeria Is Restructured?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.