Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,972 members, 7,952,906 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:11 AM

Why Do Most Undergraduates In Nigeria Lack Quality Textbooks? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Most Undergraduates In Nigeria Lack Quality Textbooks? (222 Views)

Beautiful Picture Of University Of Nigeria Female Undergraduates In 1982 / Scholarship Opportunities For Undergraduates In Nigeria This 2022 / FCMB Scholarship Worth #200,000 for undergraduates in Nigeria Is Ongoing!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Most Undergraduates In Nigeria Lack Quality Textbooks? by The5DME(m): 9:55am On Jan 11, 2022
Last month, I was opportuned to visit a certain Federal University, and met with some of my friends, who are students. And there was something I noticed: most, if not all of them, seemed to lack hardcopy textbooks, on the various courses they're taking, and rely majorly of PDFs books and all that. Using a soft copy, as a replacement for the hard copy of a particular textbook, poses a lot of limitations. Imagine if you have a 5 inch smartphone, how are you going to read a 600 page textbook efficiently on that size of screen?
I know most of these advanced textbooks are really expensive, and scarce, but for someone like me who prefers hardcopy, I don't know how I'll cope with that.
Re: Why Do Most Undergraduates In Nigeria Lack Quality Textbooks? by Amotolongbo(f): 10:14am On Jan 11, 2022
Na person wey don eat fit get extra cash buy textbook.
Food no get substitute, but hard copy textbook get substitute which is the soft copy.

Easier to read or not, the koko be say make one understand wetin person dey read and pass out of the system enter street go hustle.

You buy textbook or not, you go still buy/get/write/photocopy the lecturers’ materials, write dem down words for words for test and exam to pass the course

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Undergraduates In Nigeria Lack Quality Textbooks? by NDSMELODY(m): 10:45am On Jan 11, 2022
The5DME:
Last month, I was opportuned to visit a certain Federal University, and met with some of my friends, who are students. And there was something I noticed: most, if not all of them, seemed to lack hardcopy textbooks, on the various courses they're taking, and rely majorly of PDFs books and all that. Using a soft copy, as a replacement for the hard copy of a particular textbook, poses a lot of limitations. Imagine if you have a 5 inch smartphone, how are you going to read a 600 page textbook efficiently on that size of screen?
I know most of these advanced textbooks are really expensive, and scarce, but for someone like me who prefers hardcopy, I don't know how I'll cope with that.
I enjoyed my theraja electrical textbook.... I hate reading on phone,it lowers my assimilation rate

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Undergraduates In Nigeria Lack Quality Textbooks? by BlaqFaze: 12:37pm On Jan 11, 2022
How many people have a 5inch smartphone? Most student these days have Laptops and iPads including 6inches and above smartphones.

PDF reader like Adobe acrobat makes reading ebooks easier.
Re: Why Do Most Undergraduates In Nigeria Lack Quality Textbooks? by 1F30M4(f): 4:50pm On Jan 11, 2022
Lol I'm all for "doing whatever works best for you". Some would rather source for handouts, textbooks and other reading materials than going for lectures while some would find it very difficult to grasp anything if they are not sitted in the lecture hall listening and sometimes jotting all they heard the lecturer say. Funny, even some lecturers would say the students must answer his/her questions exactly the way s/he explained/taught it in class, comman see how people go dey rush jotter like chilled pure water grin grin as others dey do photocopy, some crooks go dey look for where dem go minimize carry enter exam hall, fraud everywhere cheesy OP you dey halla pe how people wey no get 5inch phone go tek dey read softcopy abi, you never see when pesin carry "minimize" dey use am write for exam hall. The day pesin show me wetin e be, I jus dey wonder how dem dey fit do "copy & paste" for their answer sheet with all the tension that comes with sitting for an examination and then the duration, something wey I no fit see the alphabets talk more of coining the words even after squinting and rubbing my eyes consistently for hours.

I, for one prefer softcopy materials cos it's easily accessible, everywhere I go, not having to carry large volume of reading materials that'll wear me out in a split second. The way I see it, it just adds to the options students have & can explore. If you don't have the hardcopy textbooks or handouts, you can get the softcopy and most times you don't even have to worry about how to download it cos someone could share/send it to you in a twinkle of an eye, easy peasy. If you still can't due to one reason or the other, well maybe you'll have to attend lectures regularly, could borrow handouts to copy legibly in a notebook/jotter, could also borrow textbooks to read and pen down in a notebook(in your own words) how much you understood each topic with their diagrammatic illustrations if any, bearing in mind that the owner of the textbook could come for it anytime.

(1) (Reply)

Use Audio Recordings To Study Better / Freelancing Hack / I Have Passion For Military But Age..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.