Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,825 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:24 AM

Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 (13347 Views)

Emefiele Accused Of Secretly Selling $3.4 Billion To Dangote In One Transaction / Coronavirus: Mike Adenuga Donates N1.5 Billion To Fight COVID-19 / Abdulsamad Rabiu Donates ₦1 Billion To Support COVID-19 Response (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by BillionaireTeen: 1:55am On Jan 12, 2022
Despite facing numerous antitrust lawsuits and tighter regulations in certain markets, Apple today reported new figures indicating record App Store growth in 2021. The company in a press release said it has now paid out more than $260 billion to app developers since the App Store first launched in 2008, a number that’s up from the $200 billion Apple reported at the end of 2020 — meaning, in 2021 alone, Apple paid developers a total of at least $60 billion.

That number is a lot larger than the payouts reported in previous years.

For comparison, Apple by the end of 2019 had paid developers a total of $155 billion since the App Store’s debut. The year prior, it had said that figure was around $120 billion. Reading between the lines, that means payouts to developers jumped by $35 million from 2018 to 2019, then grew by another $45 billion from 2019 to 2020.

Unfortunately, the payouts number Apple shared no longer helps to provide clarity into the state of the overall App Store’s economy, as the percentages paid by individual apps will vary.

In more recent years, Apple has adjusted its commission structure to reduce its own cut of developer revenue amid increased regulatory scrutiny of its App Store business practices, antitrust complaints and lawsuits — including the ongoing case with Epic Games, now under appeal.

With the launch of Apple’s Small Business Program announced in November 2020, the company reduced its commission from 30% to 15% on qualifying apps (those that earned up to $1 million per year). In 2021, Apple also dropped commissions for select news publishers’ apps if they chose to participate in its Apple News Partner Program. Apple hasn’t said how many developers and publishers have actually taken advantage of these opportunities, only that a “vast majority” of apps would qualify for the small business discount.

In announcing another App Store record, Apple seems to be toeing a fine line between its usual self-promotion and not calling too much attention to its outsized gains. The company noted App Store customers had spent “more than ever” between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve in 2021, driving double-digit growth from last year.

However, Apple didn’t offer any hard numbers to document this milestone as it had last year, when it had then noted consumers spent $1.8 billion on digital goods and services during the week between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve 2020, driven largely by spending on games.

Today’s figures follow what has otherwise been a transitional year for the App Store.

The company has seen more developer pushback over App Store scams, which became a topic for a Congressional hearing, as well as the ongoing difficulties with the App Review process. Apple this year was also ordered to make App Store changes that would have permitted links to third-party payment options as a result of the Epic lawsuit ruling, but was later granted a last-minute reprieve from the court order while the case is appealed. However, Apple has had to loosen its grip over the App Store in other markets, like Japan and South Korea, where regulators pushed Apple to allow links to external websites and took other measures to curb its commissions.

In addition to its App Store figures, Apple also offered updates on its other services businesses, including Apple Arcade, Apple Fitness+, Apple Music, Apple TV+, Apple News+, Apple Podcasts, Apple Books, Apple Pay and Wallet, Apple Maps and iCloud+.

Of note, Arcade now features more than 200 games, Apple Music now has 90+ million songs in lossless audio, Apple TV+ has won 190 industry awards, Apple Fitness+ has grown to include nearly 2,000 sessions of workout content, Apple News remains the No. 1 news app everywhere it’s available, Apple Pay has reached nearly 60 countries and regions, and customers used 30 million NFC tickets in Apple Wallet in 2021.

https://techcrunch.com/2022/01/10/apple-paid-out-around-60-billion-to-app-store-developers-in-2021/

Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by Mastakija(m): 2:02am On Jan 12, 2022
How can i be an apple developer

82 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by moao(m): 4:06am On Jan 12, 2022
Money pass money

1 Like

Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by jordyspices: 4:09am On Jan 12, 2022
See money

1 Like

Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by mmadu5(m): 4:10am On Jan 12, 2022
Fools
Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by Thisis2raw(m): 4:10am On Jan 12, 2022
Software engineering has always been cool and lucrative

15 Likes

Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by djflexcy: 4:10am On Jan 12, 2022
Damn
Tech is bae

7 Likes

Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by Nobody: 4:13am On Jan 12, 2022
While this is awesome... dont loose focus on what currently puts food on your table.

101 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by yoggm: 4:15am On Jan 12, 2022
Tutor7a:
Tech money is the best money
You can say that again

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by juanmiguel: 4:15am On Jan 12, 2022
They paid for the services rendered to them.

1 Like

Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by Bastard1stborn: 4:20am On Jan 12, 2022
& So?

2 Likes

Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by drips8(m): 4:21am On Jan 12, 2022
Impressive, and Apple still retained a net income of $365.82B. Some of these top companies earn more and have more billions left in reserves than some countries

28 Likes

Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by Kelvin30286063(m): 4:23am On Jan 12, 2022
I still hate them either way and I'll remain an android developer forever!

3 Likes

Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by HopeNeverDies: 4:26am On Jan 12, 2022
undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by RichDad1(m): 4:27am On Jan 12, 2022
Tech bro is the new oil well.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by saturdata: 4:35am On Jan 12, 2022
Kelvin30286063:
Why not Cross platform development

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by nokspos: 4:46am On Jan 12, 2022
You are not a good developer if you can't make cross platform apps
Kelvin30286063:
Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by Kelvin30286063(m): 4:55am On Jan 12, 2022
saturdata:

Why not Cross platform development
I'm versatile will flutter, that's cross platform. I just won't create anything for IOS

1 Like

Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by Kelvin30286063(m): 4:55am On Jan 12, 2022
nokspos:
You are not a good developer if you can't make cross platform apps
I'm versatile will flutter, that's cross platform. I just won't create anything for IOS

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by MANNABBQGRILLS: 4:57am On Jan 12, 2022
Hardworking and Brilliant Youths on point..........in a sane clime.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by Ofodirinwa: 5:14am On Jan 12, 2022
The apps are selling and their customers are paying out, not Apple

3 Likes

Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by omoadeleye(m): 5:15am On Jan 12, 2022
Oh. Like they share funds together
Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by Sheriman(m): 5:19am On Jan 12, 2022
Though I'm an Android developer
There is cool money in technology to give yourself a befiting life if only you are not lazy to learn any of those digital technology skill and practice it daily for 3 to 4 years with patience, dedication and seriousness. At least during this time you can developed App or work for tech firm which will be earning you something but since our nowadays youth think that the only way they can make it is to make some people cry steal some people hard earn money killed someone use their body part for ritual. This is the kind of society we found ourselves today. We have a society of youths who so believe in money ritual than embracing innovation science and technology.
With your phone or Preferably a good laptop, there is a lot of money on the internet you can make if only you're not lazy to explore and research.
Today, I challenged Nigerian youths to embrace science innovation and digital technology skill and stopped having the believe that it is only fraud or ritual money that can give them the luxurious living style they desire.
Any Yahoo plus or ritualist or fraudulent guys wey won attack me on this God go punish you severely!!

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by Galileopapi(m): 5:20am On Jan 12, 2022
You need a lot of passion to do tech cos its not as easy as we think undecided

12 Likes

Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by nokspos: 5:28am On Jan 12, 2022
That's an african mentality, you wont have rich client except you build apps for iOS, even billgate the founder of microsoft owns one of the largest share in apple. He was the only one who came through for apple when it was dying , he didnt mind the fact that they were his major competitor..... stop the cap
Kelvin30286063:

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by OakConsultNG: 5:28am On Jan 12, 2022
Interesting..

Get the right partners to list your business among the successful ones this season. Talk to us at OakShire Consults to register your Business, Church, NGO and Incorporate your company with the CAC today & get a massive 20% DISCOUNT!

Change of Directors and Re-Allotment of shares?

Check our signature and page for more details
Re: Apple Paid Out Around $60 Billion To App Store Developers In 2021 by Sazzay(m): 5:50am On Jan 12, 2022
nokspos:
That's an african mentality, you wont have rich client except you build apps for iOS, even billgate the founder of microsoft owns one of the largest share in apple. He was the only one who came through for apple when it was dying , he didnt mind the fact that they were his major competitor..... stop the cap

I like dis[b][/b]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Get Free Foreign UK Phone Number That Redirect To Your Nigeria Phone FREE / I Want To Give 100k To Those Who Are Really Hungry / Dangote, Adenuga, Abdulsamad, Otedola Make Forbes List With $26 Billion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.