Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,671 members, 7,823,897 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war - Politics (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war (147685 Views)

Photo Of Obasanjo Accepting The Surrender Of Biafra In 1970; (picture) / Surrounded By Chad N Cameroon Forces, Bokoharam Negotiates Surrender Of 40,000 / Wedding Invitation Card Of Gen. Gowon In 1969 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Nobody: 3:34am On Oct 20, 2013
[size=18pt] News video inserted 14th January 1970 - first page (0) of the thread[/size]
Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by LajaLaba: 8:05am On Oct 20, 2013
hahaha the OP must be a looser i saw it at a glance that Abacha is not corrupt.....Are u okay?
Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Emperor007: 9:40am On Oct 20, 2013
Gowon is not saying the truth.

Who & his men refused to keep the most important agreement ,in Nigerian history; Aburi Accord?

Gowon and his cohorts must be tried by ICC / ICJ.

1 Like

Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Nobody: 3:55pm On Oct 20, 2013
GenBuhari: [size=18pt] News video inserted 14th January 1970 - first page (0) of the thread[/size]

@Laja Laba
Abacha was not a looter and was far less corrupt than all military PDP governments that followed him.
But what has your comment to do with this thread?
Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by aieromon(m): 4:23pm On Oct 20, 2013
GenBuhari: [size=18pt] News video inserted 14th January 1970 - first page (0) of the thread[/size]

No post on the Okigbo Gulf War windfall report. . . .

Also the confession of Sgt Rogers Barnabas. I used to keep copies of the Newswatch and Tell magazines while growing up. What a pity!!

Lovely thread by the way.

1 Like

Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Nobody: 3:00pm On Oct 21, 2013

@aieromon,
Thanks.

If you have any news stories please create a thread post the link to the thread here and I would slot it into the the correct page on this thread.
Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Nobody: 12:05am On Oct 22, 2013
smiley
Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Nobody: 11:59am On Oct 27, 2013
Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by ROYALD(m): 1:14pm On Oct 27, 2013
nice
Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by ojdollars(m): 6:09am On Oct 28, 2013
Buhari is the Best President Nigeria has ever Had and will ever have, except God intervene and sends us another better replacement. Is it just me or some other folks right here is seeing what this great Man did?

2 Likes

Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Nobody: 4:12pm On Oct 28, 2013

I agree
ojdollars: Buhari is the Best President Nigeria has ever Had and will ever have, except God intervene and sends us another better replacement. Is it just me or some other folks right here is seeing what this great Man did?
Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Nobody: 12:26pm On Oct 29, 2013
Abacha was quite impressive also; dont you think?

Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Nobody: 8:44pm On Nov 01, 2013
Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Nobody: 10:34pm On Nov 20, 2013
God bless us
Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by drealaz24(m): 5:30pm On Nov 26, 2013
Now, i tink i knw more abt d past. Tanks. Yet i still wonder/ponder on how things might get better with this present crisis and challenges Nigeria is facing today. My family now has 4 graduates, unemployed and everyday we hear abt billions being looted. I love my country, NIGERIA. Bt now she not only looks helpless, but also hopeless. ;-(;-(;-(

1 Like

Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Nobody: 10:05pm On Nov 26, 2013
You are very welcome!
drealaz24: Now, i tink i knw more abt d past. Tanks. Yet i still wonder/ponder on how things might get better with this present crisis and challenges Nigeria is facing today. My family now has 4 graduates, unemployed and everyday we hear abt billions being looted. I love my country, NIGERIA. Bt now she not only looks helpless, but also hopeless. ;-(;-(;-(

[img]http://www.cojeco.cz/attach/photos/3a79a70827d89.jpg[/img]
Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Nobody: 1:54am On Nov 27, 2013
Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Nobody: 2:57am On Dec 02, 2013
Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Nobody: 9:52pm On Jan 09, 2014
God help us.
Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Nobody: 12:19am On Aug 11, 2014
[size=18pt]23rd February 2006 Associate Press (video)

Onitsha: Northerners flee as retaliatory violence following Kaduna protests leave scores dead[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x11NJA3zQg4
Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Ilekokonit: 10:41pm On Oct 29, 2014
GenBuhari:

5th February 1985 - Toledo Blade, Ohio. Newspaper

Buhari rejects IMF terms for loan
The Nigerian leader, Gen. Muhammad Buhari, says his country will match Britain's oil prices even if it means undermining the pricing structure of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, the Financial Times reported yesterday.

The London business daily reported that General Buhari, in an interview in Lagos, also reaffirmed Nigeria's rejection of the International Monetary Fund's terms for a $2.4 billion loan.

General Buhari rejected monetary fund demands that Nigeria devalue its currency, the naira, by 50 to 60 per cent and that the west African country reduce domestic fuel subsidies, the Financial Times said.

6th September 1984 - The New York Times
Buhari's government's Military Tribunal jails two former Governors of Kano to jail for 21 years

LAGOS, Nigeria, Sept. 5— Two men who were governors of the state of Kano before the military seized power in December have been jailed for 21 years by a military tribunal that found them guilty of taking $65,000 to facilitate a property deal and using the money to enrich an opposition party that has since been banned, Nigerian newspapers reported today. The two are Abubakar Rimi and his successor, Sabo Bakin Zuwo.

22nd October 1984 - ITN News
SWITZERLAND: OPEC MINISTERS MEET TO PERSUADE NIGERIA TO RETURN TO OPEC OIL PRICING LEVELS

The conference was called when OPEC member Nigeria broke ranks by cutting its price by up to two dollars a barrel.

This move followed similar reductions by Non-OPEC Norway and Britain, which are competing to sell North Sea oil. Maqhour, who resigned last week but went to Geneva as a Libyan delegation consultant, said ministers would try to persuade Nigeria to return to OPEC levels.

18 June 1984 - ITN News
GENERAL BUHARI LAUNCHES ALL-OUT DRIVE AGAINST CORRUPTION.
After months of indecision the military rulers of Nigeria have launched a major crack-down on corruption and indiscipline.
It has also empanelled military tribunals to try deposed civilian office holders accused of corruption.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man. All hail Buhari - Nigeria's God sent leader in this dispensation.

I wonder what will become of Nigeria if we keep rescuing defeat from the jaws of victory and sleep walk ourselves into continuing with an incompetent person leading ALL 170 million of us.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Ilekokonit: 11:25pm On Oct 29, 2014
GenBuhari:
[size=18pt]05 January 1984   -  ITN News (video clip)
GEN. BUHARI PRESIDES AT SWEARING IN OF MILITARY GOVERNORS AND WARNS THEM OF PENALTIES FOR CRIME AND CORRUPTION. (video clip)[/size]

[flash=500,500]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_JjYG-ef8M?version=3[/flash]

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//ITN/1984/01/05/AS050184005/?s=nigeria&st=2&pn=96&sortBy=date
(this clip starts moving after first 35seconds)

Nineteen military governors were formally appointed by the new Head of State, Major-General Mohammed Buhari, and other members of the country's Supreme Military Council (SMC) in Lagos on January 4 to run Nigeria's federal states.

General Buhari attended the official swearing-in ceremony, which came four days after he led a bloodless coup ousting former President Shehu Shagari.

Speaking at the ceremony, Buhari reminded his new governors of their duties.All were chosen, he said, for their ability to discharge their responsibilities in the best interests of the country.He went on to warn them that crime and corruption for personal gain, one reason for the coup, would be ruthlessly punished.

General Buhari added the corruption and hoarding in the private sector would not be tolerated.He ended his speech by telling the assembled governors they were answerable to the country's military chiefs of staff and subject to redeployment at any time.

All former state governors have been given a week to report to police.

General Buhari has pledged to revive the country's economy and also to end the armed robberies in major cities that have become commonplace in the last few years.The fate of former top officials in the Shagari administration is still to be decided by the new military government, and Shagari himself is being held in custody.

This Buhari is just a great man. There are no 2 ways about it. His depth of character can NOT be matched by the current criminals in power.
Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Ilekokonit: 11:31pm On Oct 29, 2014
GenBuhari:
@BABE!
Thanks, young people like you are one of the reasons I decided to create this thread; I am learning a lot myself. grin

[size=18pt]8th January 1984  -  The NY Times
Buhari steps up search for all Politicians and Officials who have failed to report to a Police Station.[/size]

LAGOS, Nigeria, Jan. 7— Nigeria's new military Government is stepping up searches for former politicians and officials of the civilian Government that was overthrown in a coup a week ago.

The new regime is making television appeals for news of the whereabouts of former officials and other Nigerians who are wanted for questioning and is urging citizens to telephone the police if they have information about those who are being sought.

[size=18pt]9th January 1984  - ITN News
Buhari' government begins crackdown on corruption, hoarding and high prices (video)[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nj91QoiQoM

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//ITN/1984/01/09/AS090184021/?s=nigeria&st=2&pn=2

[size=18pt]10th January 1984 - The NY Times
4,000 EX-OFFICIALS SURRENDER IN NIGERIA[/size]

Western diplomats reported today that as many as 4,000 officials of the ousted national and state governments had turned themselves in to the police as part of the new military Government's investigation of corruption. The diplomats said most of the former officials were released, some after their passports were confiscated. But about 400 were reportedly still held under what was described as ''military protection.''

At the same time, the Western diplomats and Nigerian sources said, many of the former officials who were on what the military Government of Maj. Gen. Mohammed Buhari called its ''most wanted list'' have managed to flee the country. Some who were abroad during the military takeover have decided to remain there.

The fear of Buhari is the beginning of wisdom for ALL corrupt politicians.
Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Ilekokonit: 11:42pm On Oct 29, 2014
GenBuhari:

29th April 1985 - The NY Times - General Buhari Imposes Curfew To End Religious Riots
BAUCHI, Nigeria, April 28— A dusk-to-dawn curfew has been imposed on the northern Nigerian town of Gombe, where more than 100 people have died in religious riots, an official statement said toda

Officials said the deaths occurred in two days of fighting between the police and members of the banned fundamentalist Maitatsine Islamic sect.

The Bauchi state government said that anyone violating the curfew ''will be regarded as a fanatic and will be shot on sight.

8th May 1984 - The NY Times
Buhari announces plans for hefty cuts in government spending and reduction of imports

He said the Government would continue to try to cut imports, while giving priority to raw materials and spare parts for industry and agriculture, to reduce the country's balance of payments deficit.

30th April 1984 - ITN News
BUHARI SCRAPS OLD NAIRA NOTES AND CIRCULATES NEW CURRENCY IN ORDER TO RENDER STOLEN / SMUGGLED CASH WORTHLESS.

Nigeria's decision to scrap its currency and start again with a new Naira marked a sudden stepping-up of the military government's attack on corruption.

Brigadier Tunde Idiagbon, who ranks second in the new administration, said in a national television broadcast that the country's land borders would be closed immediately in a move to render the old Naira worthless abroad.

The changeover will extend to May 6.In that time people will be allowed to change up to 5,000 old Naira for new notes. Anything over that amount must be deposited in banks, accomplished by affidavits proving source and ownership -- another move to pinpoint corruption.

Brigadier Idiagbon said the withdrawal of the old notes had become necessary because rampant smuggling of Naira had been a key factor in the sabotage of the Nigerian economy.

He said that hundreds of thousands of Naira had been found in the homes of several former state governors after the civilian government was ousted on December 31 last year. (remember in 1984 1Naira fetched more than 1 dollar)

Buhari is the closest we have to a saint amongst Nigerian leaders past and present.
Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Ilekokonit: 12:16am On Oct 30, 2014
GenBuhari:

14th March 1984 -  The NY Times - Buhari signs Barter Trade agreement with Brazil who would refine and return Nigeria's oil in exchange for crude oil

RIO DE JANEIRO, March 13— Brazil has won an international bidding contest to refine Nigerian oil this year, the state oil company, Petrobras, announced today.

The $1.2 billion agreement calls for Brazil to import Nigerian crude and return refined gasoline, jet fuel and diesel oil to Nigeria, a Petrobras spokesman said. He added that the accord would allow Brazil to reduce its idle refining capacity and earn a margin of profit.

Brazil imports about two-thirds of the one million barrels of oil it consumes daily, mostly from the Middle East. It buys 10,000 barrels daily from Nigeria.

Knew Buhari was a good leader but his zeal for Nigeria is awesome unlike the current thieves in power.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Ilekokonit: 12:29am On Oct 30, 2014
GenBuhari:

21st January 1984 - The NY Times - Buhari's new Government Recovers stolen Millions From Ex-Ministers

LAGOS, Nigeria, Jan. 20— Nigeria's military Government has recovered millions of dollars in currency hoarded by former officials and is trying to retrieve millions more smuggled out of the country, a member of the new regime says.

Brig. Tunde Idiagbon told reporters Thursday that the stockpiles of money ranged from $56,000 found at the home of former Vice President Alex Ekwueme, to $4.5 million at the residence of the last civilian governor of Kano State, Alhaji Sabo Bakin Zuwo.

23rd January 1984 - Business America - General Buhari Meets Nigeria's Debt Obligations, Issues New Foreign Exchange Rules

Nigeria's Federal Military Government, which removed the civilian government of President Shagari in a coup on Dec. 31, has emphasized the importance of Nigeria's meeting its external payments obligations on time. International bankers were relieved when Nigeria paid the first installment of its rescheduled trade debt on time.

28TH FEBRUARY 1984 - ITN NEWS - LEBANESE AND INDIAN COMMUNITIES IN NIGERIA UNDER ATTACK BY NEWSPAPERS
The large Indian and Lebanese communities in Nigeria have been under attack by the leading Nigerian independent newspaper, accusing them of economic sabotage. The Guardian editorial followed another one last week in the National Concord.

The Indian and Lebanese communities have been accused of bribing bank officials to illegally move foreign currency out of Nigeria, and hoarding goods.

The new military government which seized power on December 31, 1983 has promised to fight corruption and bring down food prices.

Indians and Lebanese are alleged to be some of the power behind corrupt middlemen. Long jail terms for economic sabotage are being mentioned in the national press.

No wonder EVERYONE is afraid of a Buhari Presidency.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Ilekokonit: 1:03am On Oct 30, 2014
GenBuhari:
[size=18pt]28th June 1985 -ITN News
Wimbledon Tennis: Nduka Odizor reaches 2nd round but loses out in a close match with John McEnroe[/size]

John McEnroe, top seed in the Wimbledon Tennis championships, was twice taken to tie breaks in his match against Nduka Odizor of Nigeria on June 28, before going through to the next round with a win of 7-6, 6-1, 7-6.

Nigerians had self belief during Buhari's regime.

Surely, "The labour of our heroes past shall never be in vain"

1 Share

Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by juman(m): 1:48am On Oct 30, 2014
To be read.

1 Like

Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Kayman3(m): 8:43am On Oct 30, 2014
@ Genbuhari: this thread is more educative than the title given to it. I want to suggest that you change the title. when I saw the title, I thought it's one of the tribal war thread.

1 Like

Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Nobody: 12:57pm On Oct 30, 2014
I was changing the title with every update, then Nairaland disabled my ability to change the title. undecided
Kayman3:
@ Genbuhari: this thread is more educative than the title given to it. I want to suggest that you change the title. when I saw the title, I thought it's one of the tribal war thread.
Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by zemaye: 5:33pm On Dec 12, 2014
Oh wow such an enlightening thread shocked. Still watching. Thanksfor this Genbuhari

1 Like

Re: Gen. Gowon interviewed hours after surrender of Biafra; he blames Ojukwu for war by Image123(m): 7:18am On Dec 29, 2014
GenBuhari:
[size=18pt]3rd October 1980  - ITN News
President Shagari opens the Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos[/size]
The third major road bridge from the Nigerian mainland to the Island of Lagos was opened by President Alhaji Shehu Shagari (on Tuesday 30 September), as part of the country's independence celebrations. It's designed to relieve the growing pressure on the two existing bridges which span the Lagos Lagoon.

SYNOPSIS: Since 1975 the growing number of vehicles driving in and out of Lagos have put the existing road system under considerable strain. So the completion of the Third Mainland Bridge is a welcome addition to tackle the problem. The first vehicles to travel along the bridge formed the official opening motorcade. It's the third in successive Government's efforts to link Lagos with the mainland.

Present Shehu Shagari was introduced to the officials who've co-ordinated construction since the bridge was merely a drawing on an architect's board. Then he was called on to officially declare the bridge open. He'd earlier paid glowing tributes to the contractors.

In contrast to the few vehicles in the official motorcade, the two original bridges were full, as usual, with heavy traffic. The problem's been evident since the early 1970s, and the first plans for the Third Mainland Bridge were discussed in 1975. Its design in comparable with the best in the world, according to Nigeria's Director of Federal Highways. It consists of two separate carriageways, each providing three traffic lanes and an emergency shoulder.

It's cost nearly one hundred and twenty two million pounds (Sterling).

" Its design in comparable with the best in the world", how is the mighty fallen? Now we borrow money from China for loco train and railway transport that the elite would not condescend to use, that's if it will eventually come to fruition, and we call that transformation.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply)

EXPOSED; 45 Cultists Slangs And Their Meaning! Be At Alert In Grave Situation / Live Broadcast: Nnamdi Kanu's World Press Broadcast From Jerusalem / Election Results With Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.