Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,233 members, 7,807,772 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:57 PM

For Linux Users - Xmms2 Developer Version - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / For Linux Users - Xmms2 Developer Version (760 Views)

Ubuntu Linux Users: What's Your DE Flava? / Creating Autorun Cds For Linux / Linux Users:fedora,ubuntu Or Opensuse;what's The Difference? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

For Linux Users - Xmms2 Developer Version by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jul 30, 2007
I guess a lot of you are familiar with XMMS - the linux multimedia player? Well, the developers left a note saying they will port the application to GTK+2 "sometime", but development is as good as dead right now. XMMS2 is being developed, and with an entirely new codebase: (see Project Homepage ) it features a client-server model (so you can, for instance, control the media player from your TCP/IP-enabled PDA). I especially love the client-server thing, because the developer can create native-looking GUI's using his favourite toolkit (GTK, QT, or Java). A few clients exist right now but they are all in development stages i.e. not fully featured.

Am trying to set up an APT repository, because the source package produced more than 20 binary packages with interdependencies.
N.B. The next version of Ubuntu (Gutsy Gibbon) already has it in the repositories, and it is also avaliable in debian Sid (unstable).

For those using ubuntu, i have made some binary packages of the clients (using an impatient hack of checkinstall rather than the normal debian build system) for Feisty Fawn (7.04), so you can check it out.
Re: For Linux Users - Xmms2 Developer Version by adewaleafolabi(m): 4:32pm On Jul 30, 2007
Thanks grid but am still stuck with edgy and don't think i'll be upgrading to even gutsy. i'll give the deb a try
Re: For Linux Users - Xmms2 Developer Version by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jul 30, 2007
You can pick up a copy of the debian source package and compile it yourself: that way you dont have to worry about version specific dependencies. The downside is that you have to apt-get install a lot of *-dev packages, about 67 of them. smiley

(1) (Reply)

I Need Help From Any Hauwei Expert On Cdma In D House / Urgent! / Plz My Toshiba A60 CD drive fails to detect: What Do I Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.