Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,882 members, 7,828,136 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? (352 Views)

Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? / No Drainage: How Can I Report My Landlord To Lagos State Government? Pls Help! / How Do I Approach My Landlord To Withdraw The Increment In Rent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by iyke484real(m): 9:14am On Jan 14, 2022
Hello nairalanders, I trust God we are all fine... happy new year to you all.
Without wasing time I will love to go straight to the point. Comrades and erudites in the house please, I like to know if it's right for my landlord to break into my room and throw out my properties

The crux of the matter.... My rent expired on the 12th of January 2022 today is 14th and my landlord is already threatening to throw out my luggages should I fail to pack out before Sunday, 16th of this month because I promised to pay him yesterday but failed...I pleaded with him to understand that I'm having a little challenge.

I'm a student in the day, security guard at night this I have been doing for the past 3yrs to see myself through school instead of dropping out after I lost my sponsor...I actually had plans of paying my rent before 10th of January with the help of my December salary but it's rather unfortunate that uptill now my boss is yet to pay my December salary...and my landlord doesn't have patience in his dictionary, I can't even go to my room any more because of his threat...I'm just hanging around hoping to see salary alert any of this days but should it tarries and he goes on to throw my things out what can I do? Plus is he right to do that?

Please honourable nairalanders your input in this matter will be highly appreciated...
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Kriss216: 9:17am On Jan 14, 2022
Rent expired 12th of January, today is 14th and he's already threatening you? All these hungry landlords sef undecided

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Nobody: 9:18am On Jan 14, 2022
I didn't read but from the heading it's not right.Don't bother to read what the mad man above me has to write.
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Stephen0mozzy: 9:26am On Jan 14, 2022
angry

It is morally WRONG
It is legally WRONG

Logically, complicated.

1. What is your relationship with the landlord and other tenants in the house?
2. Have you always defaulted in paying your rent as at when due?
3. Have you bad mouthed the landlord to the another tenant who may have also told oga landlord?
4. Have you done anything to fall your hand for compound?

Landlords are not always evil.. But it is the way we approach them. Me, my rent expires tomorrow 15th January ... But I had pleaded with my landlord since 2nd week of December that I will be able to pay by January month end.. And he agreed.. Because I try my best to be true to my promise.

Communication is key.

Provided he hasn't given you quit notice prior, he can't throw your things out. But how you approach the matter will inform his actions... There's no law for us poor folks
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by iyke484real(m): 9:33am On Jan 14, 2022
Kriss216:
Rent expired 12th of January, today is 14th and he's already threatening you? All these hungry landlords sef undecided
my brother I weak like this...this is some one I haven't owe for the past 4years I have been in his house. some people are just inconsiderate...
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by Kriss216: 9:42am On Jan 14, 2022
iyke484real:
my brother I weak like this...this is some one I haven't owe for the past 4years I have been in his house. some people are just inconsiderate...
He's just hungry.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by sylvestersamuel(m): 9:43am On Jan 14, 2022
This story dosen't look real to me, i feel the OP is just trying to emotionally blackmail nairalanders just to solicit for help.
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by iyke484real(m): 10:12am On Jan 14, 2022
Stephen0mozzy:
angry

It is morally WRONG
It is legally WRONG

Logically, complicated.

1. What is your relationship with the landlord and other tenants in the house?
2. Have you always defaulted in paying your rent as at when due?
3. Have you bad mouthed the landlord to the another tenant who may have also told oga landlord?
4. Have you done anything to fall your hand for compound?

Landlords are not always evil.. But it is the way we approach them. Me, my rent expires tomorrow 15th January ... But I had pleaded with my landlord since 2nd week of December that I will be able to pay by January month end.. And he agreed.. Because I try my best to be true to my promise.

Communication is key.

Provided he hasn't given you quit notice prior, he can't throw your things out. But how you approach the matter will inform his actions... There's no law for us poor folks
nice one bro...as for my landlord he doesn't have patients plus he is always in need of money all the time....just imagine, he started asking me for money as early as 2nd of December for a rent that will expire on January... that I should give him rent in advance even if part paymen that he has problem, if not I will have to give him full payment at expiration. He is saying this because there are years I use to pay for 9months then balance it up in few months time.

I have never owe him I always prepay him ...I explained to him that I don't have for now but before 10th of January I will have... thinking my salary will come before then...

As for making problem with him or other tenants...no I don't make problem. Infact I hardly stay at home I go to school in the day then security work at night no time at all to have an entanglement let alone making problem...
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by iyke484real(m): 10:28am On Jan 14, 2022
sylvestersamuel:
This story dosen't look real to me, i feel the OP is just trying to emotionally blackmail nairalanders just to solicit for help.
be calming down bro there's nothing like "emotionally blackmail nairalanders" here...I'm telling you what is happening to me now.. beside I'm not even asking for money, I have plans to pay my rent...I will pay my rent bro...my salary will certainly be paid before the end of January.... just that my landlord doesn't have patients.
Re: Is It Right For My Landlord To Break Into My Room And Throw Out My Belongings? by iyke484real(m): 10:29am On Jan 14, 2022
sylvestersamuel:
be calming down bro there's nothing like "emotionally blackmail nairalanders" here...I'm telling you what is happening to me now.. besides I'm not even asking for money, I have plans to pay my rent...I will pay my rent bro...my salary will certainly be paid before the end of January.... just that my landlord doesn't have patients.

(1) (Reply)

₦90M: Furnished 4 Bedroom Fully Detached Duplex For Sale In Sangotedo(Photos) / Flexible and Affordable, Dream Town Estate@Agric, Ikorodu 07013462338 / A Room Self Contain To Let In Obada, Abeokuta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.