Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,674 members, 7,816,766 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:44 PM

Which Is Better Relay Or Thermostat. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Is Better Relay Or Thermostat. (721 Views)

Why the need to convert car fan to Manuel and remove thermostat / Thieves Stealing Toyota, Lexus Vehicles Using Key Fob 'Relay' / You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is Better Relay Or Thermostat. by 606thearena: 4:29pm On Jan 16, 2022
Good evening Nairalanders please I have a problem ever since my car came and the thermostat failed and it was removed by the electrician saying Nigeria is not good for it because it is very hot and replaced with relay this is the third time I’m changing relay I’m tired the car is barely six months what is the best solution to this problem once and for all. Car make Toyota Camry 010
Re: Which Is Better Relay Or Thermostat. by aieromon(m): 4:30pm On Jan 16, 2022
606thearena:
Good evening Nairalanders please I have a problem ever since my car came and the thermostat failed and it was removed by the electrician saying Nigeria is not good for it because it is very hot and replaced with relay this is the third time I’m changing relay I’m tired the car is barely six months what is the best solution to this problem once and for all. Car make Toyota Camry 010

Replace thermostat, remove relay fitting and change your mehcanic.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Is Better Relay Or Thermostat. by TPound(m): 4:52pm On Jan 16, 2022
aieromon:

Replace thermostat, remove relay fitting and change your mehcanic.

Best advice I've seen on Nairaland since after Covid

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Is Better Relay Or Thermostat. by buygala(m): 5:32pm On Jan 16, 2022
606thearena:

Do not replace the thermostat...Those things can fail without any notice and leave you with an overheating engine in the most uncomfortable circumstances ....I have 1st hand experience on that..

Get a good car electrician to reset the fan connection to auto. ..The fan will perfectly cycle on and off when needed...And also stay on when AC is on. .

My own car has no thermostat. ..But the fan cycles on and off while maintaining engine temp close to the middle of the temp gauge..Fan also stays permanently on when AC is on....it has worked perfectly so far

It's far better than having one bastard thermostat getting stuck closed and blowing your engine gaskets to hell
Re: Which Is Better Relay Or Thermostat. by emy77: 8:47pm On Jan 16, 2022
I wanted to comment on the previous advice but let me rather share my recent personal experience.

I recently bought a naija used 04 corolla. Badly used and abused. It was so bad that the seller who's a colleague told me the only way I can enjoy the car is to buy a new engine and gear..over 450k. It was so bad he couldn't get up to 50miles (80km) on 3k fuel. I told him no problem. Sell me the car.

First thing I noticed... Fan was permanently on via a relay, thermostat was absent. Temperature Guage never got above quarter no matter how long you drove.

First thing I did was to reconnect fan to normal and clean the throttle body. First time in ages, tachometer started going on 1000rpm or slightly below. Temperature Guage also started getting to middle after about 15mins from cold start. Car was quieter and more energetic. I was also now getting 19mpg ie abt 95 miles (150km) on 3k fuel. Mind you, gear selection became better.

I used it like this for abt 4 weeks. Then I asked my mechanic to get a tokunbo thermostat. We tested it and installed it.
Magic happened.

Temperature Guage started getting to middle in 3-5mins from cold start. Car became very smooth, fast and quiet. To cap it, I started getting 24mpg ie 120miles (195km) on same 3k. Gear is perfect now. It's been like this now for about 6 months. No engine or gear issues.
My colleague no fit believe his eyes.

So op, please for a 2010 camry with expensive engine, please remove that relay. Let your fan become automatic, then PLEASE buy a thermostat and install coolant. You will see the difference and testify. Thermostats can go bad, it takes years though if you get a good one. When it's bad, change it, don't delete it.

E get why

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

The Driver's Side Vents Of My Mercedes Benz C230 Blowing Hot / Mercedes Benz Vs BMW / The Evolution Of Car Talk: How Technology Is Changing The Way We Communicate In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.