Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,434 members, 7,815,983 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. (1039 Views)

Step Down From Kanu’s Case, IPOB Tells Justice Nyako / UN Queries Nigerian Government Over Nnamdi Kanu's Case / N200m Water Fountain In Benin, Oshiomhole Built: See The Current State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. by xborr(m): 5:13am On Jan 17, 2022
NNAMDI KANU CASE: THE CURRENT STATE OF THINGS.
(By Emeka Ugwuonye, Esquire)

https://trendsdynamics..com/2022/01/nnamdi-kanu-case-current-state-of-things.html?m=1

Today is yet another sit-at-home in the Eastern parts of Nigeria. In fact, I hurriedly left Enugu this weekend just to avoid being caught up in the puzzling situation on the ground. The situation is puzzling because though the sit-at-home was initiated in support of Nnamdi Kanu’s cause, it continued even after Nnamdi Kanu and his group had relentlessly tried to stop it. In other words, Nnamdi Kanu and IPOB are really not in control of the sit-at-home. I left Enugu in haste because I could get stuck.

Having escaped to a corner of Nigeria where I could move around on Mondays and the rest of the weak, I chose to stop and appreciate the weighty events of the week by presenting to you my assessment and predictions on the case of Nnamdi Kanu. So, let me start by asking: Where are we on the case?

President Buhari has rejected the plea for unconditional release of Nnamdi Kanu. He has taken the obviously expected position to put him through trial with the predictable outcome. Any hope that Nnamdi Kanu would be out of detention before the end of this Administration has been dashed. So, the focus is now squarely on what happens in the courts, no longer on what the Igbo politicians, Ohaneze, men of God and the rest would do. Those have failed and attention should be focused on the lawyers and the courts.

As I have repeatedly predicted, the motion to grant Nnamdi Kanu bail will fail. He will not be granted bail this week. The application to transfer him to Kuje Correctional center will also fail. He will be ordered to remain in the custody of DSS. This means that the complete isolation of Nnamdi Kanu from his followers will continue. And also, the application challenging the jurisdiction of the court will fail. The court will rule that it has jurisdiction to try Nnamdi Kanu irrespective of how he was brought back from Kenya. So, the three applications that Nnamdi Kanu’s “lead lawyer” has been hammering upon since June, 2021 will all fail, throwing the defense team back to square 1.

However, there will likely be some light in the turned for Nnamdi Kanu this week. For the first time, there could be a judgment that will favor him. It is the case of Fundamental Rights Enforcement filed by Barrister Ejimakor in Abia State, seeking to enforce the rights of Nnamdi Kanu. In this application, Barrister Ejimakor makes what is actually the most sensible legal move so far. Looking at the whole chain of events since last year, the most basic legal question has been on how Nnamdi Kanu was brought into Nigeria from Kenya. That is the rendition question. So much can be made to rest on that question. So, to some extent, that question is a foundational one in that so much may rest on the answer to that question.

Ejimakor brilliantly understands the importance of the rendition question. The question is: Did Nigerian government bring Nnamdi Kanu into Nigeria in accordance with the law or did Nigerian government violate the law and the rights of Nnamdi Kanu in the process of bringing him into Nigeria? Almost every intelligent lawyer or jurist will tell you that Nigerian Government acted illegally and violated the rights of Nnamdi Kanu in order to bring him into Nigeria. I believe that the High Court will on the 19th of this month, Thursday of this week, answer that question. And I am confident that if the Court is ready with its judgment on the 19th, the judgment will be that Nigerian Government violated the law and violated the rights of Nnamdi Kanu. I cannot imagine any standard of legal analysis that would declare lawful the manner in which Nigerian government brought Nnamdi Kanu into Nigeria last June.

The beauty of such judgment is not just that the court gives victory to Nnamdi on such cardinal question. Rather, the beauty of such judgment lies in its strategic implications. Because so much depends on that question, once it is answered in favor of Nnamdi Kanu, it opens the door to other more immediate questions, such as whether it is right for Nigerian Government to continue in what has been declared illegal. In other words,: If you agree that he was brought into Nigeria in an unlawful manner, how can Nigeria government be allowed to reap the benefit of an illegality? A poisoned tree can only produce poisoned fruits. If you violate the law to get Nnamdi Kanu to Nigeria, it means that anything done based on his presence in Nigeria is a continuation of an illegality. That is a strong argument to make in his favor.

How far will the Court in Abia State go in favor of Nnamdi Kanu on Thursday? I don’t want to raise your hopes unduly. But I believe that the court will declare the rendition illegal. I believe that the court will award monetary damages against the Nigerian Government in favor of Nnamdi Kanu. Certainly, the Nigerian Government will not pay any such damages, but it shifts the moral burden in favor of Nnamdi Kanu and against the Government, and this is a heavy burden for the government to bear. Any judgment faulting Nigerian Government is gold to Nnamdi Kanu and IPOB. So, to the extent that such a judgment will come is a victory to Kanu and a brilliant success for Barrister Ejimakor.

Indeed, one would wonder why this application was not make a priority all this while. This ought to have been the primary moves made by the defense team. If they had focused on this procedure since June, they would have significantly dented the work of the Government on the case.

Again, there are many reasons why a court may not render judgment on the day it was supposed to do so. But whenever the court gives judgment in the application filed by Barrister Ejimakor, it will be a victory for Nnamdi Kanu. And once any victory comes, it has the tendency to alter the entire direction of the case.

https://trendsdynamics..com/2022/01/nnamdi-kanu-case-current-state-of-things.html?m=1

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. by helinues: 5:15am On Jan 17, 2022
Toh

How far will the Court in Abia State go in favor of Nnamdi Kanu on Thursday?

SEBI na Kanu dey pay their salary right?

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. by Lawlab251: 5:16am On Jan 17, 2022
Hmm
Re: Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. by heniford2: 5:21am On Jan 17, 2022
We are watching Nigeria court and buhari in 16 HD cam if anything happens to MNk .... Okey
Re: Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. by jeffizy(m): 5:34am On Jan 17, 2022
The self proclaimed Jew may not smell fresh air of freedom just yet.

The elections will be coming and they won't want his bile-filled broadcasts and cult-like followers to derail it.

Last Last, Government no be anybody Papa mate.

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. by Luckylife(m): 6:10am On Jan 17, 2022
Let the will of God prevail.

4 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. by Nobody: 6:29am On Jan 17, 2022
The FG should release that guy already, election is fast approaching!

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. by Dubetex96(m): 7:44am On Jan 17, 2022
U did a good job by analyzing the situation on ground we are all watching as this scenarios unfold.
Re: Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. by headSmasher: 7:47am On Jan 17, 2022
Kanu is the sacrificial goat for cleansing of mkpurumiri desecrated bloodsucking land
Re: Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. by silibaba: 7:47am On Jan 17, 2022
Tomorrow will soon be here today.
Re: Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. by Brimstone77: 7:53am On Jan 17, 2022

We all knew that even if the court orders the release of kanu zoo government won't release him..

They are known for not obeying Court order..

Only a lawless approach will lead to kanus release..

Ipob should fight the lawless zoo government with lawlessness..

Iron sharpen iron..

Ask the cameronian government how far with the amba boys.

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. by Madmohamed1: 8:24am On Jan 17, 2022
helinues:
Toh

shut up
Re: Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. by gidgiddy: 8:45am On Jan 17, 2022
The fact that the federal government refused to tell Nigerians where they picked Nnamdi Kanu from and brought him back to Nigeria tells everyone if what they did was legal or not

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. by stevnwigw1: 8:50am On Jan 17, 2022
There is truth in what you have just said.
Re: Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. by adamsmith914: 8:56am On Jan 17, 2022
gidgiddy:
The fact that the federal government refused to tell Nigerians where they picked Nnamdi Kanu from and brought him back to Nigeria tells everyone if what they did was legal or not
A fugitive on the run for over 3 years that jumped bail, has forfeited his rights, did he tell us how he escaped from Nigeria? because to the best of my knowledge The Federal Government had seized his passports both British & Nigeria.

So who really is interested in how the Fugitive was brought back to Nigeria other than his Hypocrite evil supporters, the Haters of Nigeria?

Who are in severe emotional pain right now since the Terrorist was apprehended again, after all the said & done jargons by his Ipobian sympathizers, he will be sentenced to no less than 15 years.

Or is Nnamdi Kanu not the same person that told his senseless supporters to kill anyone they see holding a Nigerian flag?

Ok now by Jehovah’s strength we have caught him again, so we Nigerians should allow someone that wants to kill us go scot free? Una try, 2 can play that game.

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. by gidgiddy: 9:18am On Jan 17, 2022
adamsmith914:
A fugitive on the run for over 3 years that jumped bail, has forfeited his rights, did he tell us how he escaped from Nigeria? because to the best of my knowledge The Federal Government had seized his passports both British & Nigeria.

So who really is interested in how the Fugitive was brought back to Nigeria other than his Hypocrite evil supporters, the Haters of Nigeria?

Who are in severe emotional pain right now since the Terrorist was apprehended again, after all the said & done jargons by his Ipobian sympathizers, he will be sentenced to no less than 15 years.

He jumped bail? Who wouldn't jump bail if they send Soldiers to go and kill the person? Its only someone alive who goes to court.

They can sentence him to 15 years, whether there will be any peace in that 15 years is a different thing

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. by adamsmith914: 9:23am On Jan 17, 2022
gidgiddy:

He jumped bail? Who wouldn't jump bail if they send Soldiers to go and kill the person? Its only someone alive who goes to court.

They can sentence him to 15 years, whether there will be any peace in that 15 years is a different thing
Maybe no peace in Eastern Nigeria, but till date his trial has not affected anything in Lagos State for even 1 second.

Sure he jumped bail without the knowledge of his surety, then addressed Justice Binta Nyako as a Zoo Judge?

Well let him be prepared to serve his 15 years & save us all these his crocodile tears wailing, I thought the Coward claimed he was a freedom fighter but the first sound of gunshot he disappeared like Houdini?

You commit the atrocities, best be prepared to serve your time.

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. by gidgiddy: 9:28am On Jan 17, 2022
adamsmith914:
Maybe no peace in Eastern Nigeria, but till date his trial has not affected anything in Lagos State for even 1 second.

Sure he jumped bail without the knowledge of his surety, then addressed Justice Binta Nyako as a Zoo Judge?

Well let him be prepared to serve his 15 years & save us all these his crocodile tears wailing, I thought he claimed he was a freedom fighter?

You commit the atrocities, best be prepared to serve your time.

You should be more concerned if your government is doing things the legal way because if government cannot follow the law, then nobody should

The government sent Soldiers to Kanu's house to kill him, which forced Kanu to leave the country

Your government went to Kenya to kidnapp Kanu and bring him back to Nigeria

Government and illegality

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. by adamsmith914: 9:42am On Jan 17, 2022
gidgiddy:

You should be more concerned if your government is doing things the legal way because if government cannot follow the law, then nobody should

The government sent Soldiers to Kanu's house to kill him, which forced Kanu to leave the country

Your government went to Kenya to kidnapp Kanu and bring him back to Nigeria

Government and illegality
You must be a child, The High Court does not work on I hearsay, who sent the Military to kill him? Why did he not hand himself over to the Court that had granted him bail for safety?

A man that instructed his stupid followers should kill anyone they see holding a Nigerian flag is who you Hypocrites are saying we should let go free?
Re: Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. by gidgiddy: 9:48am On Jan 17, 2022
adamsmith914:
You must be a child, The High Court does not work on I hearsay, who sent the Military to kill him?

A man that instructed his stupid followers should kill anyone they see holding a Nigerian flag is who you Hypocrites are saying we should let go free?

Well Im sure the Soldiers who went Kanus house to open fire did not do that out of concern for Kanu's health

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. by adamsmith914: 9:53am On Jan 17, 2022
gidgiddy:

Well Im sure the Soldiers who went Kanus house to open fire did not do that out of concern for Kanu's health
The problem with you selfish Ipobians is that you only choose to look @ the situation from your own myopic outlook.

Nnamdi Kanu is a man that used his medium to instruct his stupid followers to kill anyone they see holding a Nigerian flag, so you immigrants from Eastern Africa think we Nigerians are going to allow our enemies go scot free?
Re: Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. by gidgiddy: 10:14am On Jan 17, 2022
adamsmith914:
The problem with you selfish Ipobians is that you only choose to look @ the situation from your own myopic outlook.

Nnamdi Kanu is a man that used his medium to instruct his stupid followers to kill anyone they see holding a Nigerian flag, so you immigrants from Eastern Africa think we Nigerians are going to allow our enemies go scot free?

Later you people will find out that the high court is far more interested in what was done, not what was said

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu Case: The Current State Of Things. by Emyogalanya: 12:48pm On Jan 17, 2022
helinues:
Toh

it's a Nigeria court Nigeria pays them from taxes paid by Nigerians. I know in your dirty mind you think buhari pays them. No my dear, most of them were there before Buhari came to power. By the way this your comments sounds like you know Buhari is interfering with the judiciary as an independent arm of government

(1) (Reply)

The Moment Nnamdi Kanu Arrived High Court (video) / Tinubu At The Gubernatorial Inauguration Of Babatunde Raji Fashola On May 2007 / US Embassy: Drop Box Service On Visa Applications Now Available In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.