Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,313 members, 7,811,933 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:05 AM

January 20,2012 : A Date That Will Live In Infamy In Kano - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / January 20,2012 : A Date That Will Live In Infamy In Kano (456 Views)

Hall Of Infamy: List Of Some Notorious Nigerian Fraudsters / Lady Deals With A White Man That Took Her Out On A Date And Abandoned Her To Pay / Slay Queen Calls Out Man Who Allegedly Tried To Rape Her During A Date (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

January 20,2012 : A Date That Will Live In Infamy In Kano by SeeAfrica(m): 11:59am On Jan 20, 2022
It's now a decade. Though the memories are still fresh when uncorked, the experiences are still of bitter taste to us. The horror of that day still stare stark and bare to us - the people of Kano.

We all woke up to a pleasant morning,greeted by the sweet serenade of birds nesting on trees,and by the soft rustling of leaves wriggling in the air. The air was crisp, the sky was pale blue.

Everyone bolted up to do their routines. And soon, the city was lit up and buzzing, as it had always been on every Friday. With smiles on their faces, wives bid their husbands farewell as they left their homes.

Children received last instructions from their parents before heading to school.

For the better part of the day, the city was its usual self: energetic and striving.

Then about 5:30 pm that day, when the sun was retreating to its shell, the ferocious beasts from no-where snapped in.

They announced their arrival by blowing their trumpet which shook the strongholds of the city with such vigor that had never been heard before in the land. Before the people could wrack their brains for where cometh the sound, two,three more bomb blasts followed in quick succession.

At that moment, everyone Knew "the merchants of death " have arrived. Without needing anyone to say, everybody took to their heels with reckless abandon. Old and young, men and women scampered for safety,tumbling on each other.
The sun took note and immediately hid itself from men.

Dust rising as if it were a million horses racing. Smoke filled the air, and blood rained down in full torrent. Who could believe, the police headquarters in Kano was under siege. Bomb blasts and shooting spree ensued for several hours.

The police were overpowered and hence they called for reinforcement. To those of us whose residents were just few miles away, couldn't sleep throughout.

Surely no one who's wise slept on their bed that day. Everyone was lying head down and belly flat on the ground as the battle endured throughout the whole night till about 3am or so.

The police station close to my house was sending signals. The police men were firing rounds upon rounds upon rounds of ammunitions. I even thought the war was happening behind my compound.

The night seemed interminable, and daybreak elusive. It was like we were caught up in a ravaging war, and the only means of survival was absolute silence. When the day finally had mercy on us and broke, our weeping endured the night but joy never came that morning.

There was a wide spread anguish and sorrow.
Families started looking for their loved ones. The scenes were traumatic. Corpses littered and laid bare in street. There were rivers of flowing blood.

People who couldn't reach their loved ones by phone, went out rummaging through piles of dead men seeking,at least, the remains of their own.

By own statistics, One in every 10 persons who couldn't return home that day in the neighborhood was found in hospitals or morgues. The hospitals and morgues with the state metropolis were filled up.
Some families, it took them days and weeks to locate their dead.

It was a period some recounted their ordeals and others counted their loss.
After having overrun the police headquarters,the terrorists killed to their satisfaction without any stiff resistance. To the extent that they were stopping and questioning, and killing,mostly men. Those who survived,their tales were grisly.

January 20,2012, is a day that will continue to live in infamy in the history of the state.

R.I.P to the dead.

2 Likes

Re: January 20,2012 : A Date That Will Live In Infamy In Kano by otipoju(m): 12:03pm On Jan 20, 2022
I think that was the day Kano was cured of its religious fanaticism. Am i right?
Re: January 20,2012 : A Date That Will Live In Infamy In Kano by Stan2330(m): 12:39pm On Jan 20, 2022
Yeah... I remember
I was in kano state when Boko Haram attached bompai police station

3 Likes

Re: January 20,2012 : A Date That Will Live In Infamy In Kano by TheFacelessMan: 6:40pm On Jan 20, 2022
Could tell a great story....but out of respect to the dead... lipsrsealed

Rest in Peace!
Re: January 20,2012 : A Date That Will Live In Infamy In Kano by Okoyeeboz: 6:57pm On Jan 20, 2022
TheFacelessMan:
Could tell a great story....but out of respect to the dead... lipsrsealed

Rest in Peace!

1 Like

Re: January 20,2012 : A Date That Will Live In Infamy In Kano by aieromon(m): 9:55pm On Jan 20, 2022
Re: January 20,2012 : A Date That Will Live In Infamy In Kano by GeneralOjukwu: 9:50am On Jan 21, 2022
Okoyeeboz:
wink

Bros, nice to have you back!

Been active nibi nikan. Won ti ban gbogbo iyoku grin

Love those comrade memes grin
Re: January 20,2012 : A Date That Will Live In Infamy In Kano by Okoyeeboz: 10:17am On Jan 21, 2022
GeneralOjukwu:

Bros, nice to have you back!

Been active nibi nikan. Won ti ban gbogbo iyoku grin

Love those comrade memes grin

I'm fully back for those ọmọ irankiran. May ESN and UGM fall on any mod that bans me.

(1) (Reply)

GM Cruise Autonomous Car Runs From Police In San Francisco / Suspected Cable Thief Fed Noodles Before More Beatings In Bayelsa Community / Video:many Commuters Abducted Along Katari-kaduna Abuja Expressway By Terrorists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.