Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,830 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA (7449 Views)

COP 28: Nigeria Signs MOU To Establish Solar PV Manufacturing Plant / Nigeria Signs Agreement With Siemens To Increase Grid Capacity To 12,000MW / Nigeria Signs Military-Technical Cooperation Agreement With Russia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by presidency: 2:14pm On Jan 20, 2022
REMARKS BY THE HONOURABLE MINISTER OF INFORMATION AND CULTURE, ALHAJI LAI MOHAMMED, AT THE SIGNING OF THE CULTURAL PROPERTY IMPLEMENTATION ACT (CPIA) AGREEMENT BETWEEN NIGERIA AND THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA IN ABUJA ON THURSDAY, 20 JANUARY 2022

PROTOCOL

Good morning. It';s my pleasure to welcome you all to this important landmark event, which is the signing of the Cultural Property Implementation Act (CPIA) between Nigeria and the United States of America.

2. It is no longer news that Nigerian ancient arts are greatly appreciated around the world. Ordinarily, this should be exhilarating news to Nigerians, but it is also giving us a cause for concern, because the fact that the ancient arts are highly coveted encourages sponsored looting and illicit trafficking of the works by unscrupulous foreigners and Nigerians.

3. Despite all efforts by the Ministry of Information and Culture and the National Commission for Museums and Monuments, with the assistance of law enforcement agencies, to prevent illicit export of the nation’s archeological and ethnological materials, widespread looting and illicit excavation of these materials still continue. The stolen artifacts are mostly smuggled to Europe, the United States of America and other places for the benefit of art collectors.

4. To curb this nefarious activities, Nigeria resorted to the UNESCO 1970 Convention, which enjoins Member States to the Convention, whose cultural patrimony is in jeopardy from pillage, to call upon other Member States to participate in concerted international measures, including the control of exports and imports and international commerce in the specific materials concerned.

5. It is on the basis of this Convention that Nigeria and the United States of America have agreed to leverage an American legislation, the Convention on Cultural Property Implementation Act (CPIA), to prevent the illicit import of Nigerian artifacts into the United States.

6. This legislation was enacted by the United States to restrict the importation into the US of archeological materials ranging in date from 1500 B.C. to A.D. 1770 as well as ethnological materials including those associated with royal activity, religious activity, etc. from nations that have entered into the kind of bilateral initiative that we are signing here with the United States today.

7. On the basis of this agreement, Nigerian antiquities being imported into the United States without the requisite Export Permit will be seized at the border of the United States and returned to Nigeria without the arduous and costly task of going through the labyrinth of judicial and diplomatic processes.

8. We are optimistic that this agreement will reduce the pillage of our irreplaceable archeological and ethnological materials, as the market for these materials is being shut in the United States against illicit traffickers.

9. The agreement will last for an initial period of five years. If it works well, as we anticipate it will, it shall be renewed for a longer term. We implore other friendly nations to take a cue from the United States of America and join us in finding means to prevent the illegal importation of our antiquities into their countries.

10. We want to most sincerely thank the Government of the United States, in particular the Embassy of the United States in Nigeria, for making this possible. We look forward to a diligent implementation of this landmark agreement, so it can become a game changer in our efforts to prevent the looting of our priceless ancient works of art.

11. I thank you all for your kind attention.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by socialmediaman: 2:18pm On Jan 20, 2022
I see is Lies Lai's handiwork grin
Re: Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by BabaIbo: 2:20pm On Jan 20, 2022
To be honest, I don't know how this affect the masses here in Nigeria.
Like what is the impact on Nigerians in Nigeria or other countries.

Modified: It is an agreement to control the illicit stealing of artifacts in Nigeria.

Is this really news worthy at this point in time?
Is this what the masses need?

I think this is just a case of misplaced priority or an action that can be termed "make we do am make dem for no talk say we no dey do anything as leaders."

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by slawormiir: 2:20pm On Jan 20, 2022
Damnnn niggar
Nice one

I know alot of nairaland members won't bother to read the body of this article

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by googlepikins: 2:20pm On Jan 20, 2022
Misplaced priority

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by TooNoisy(f): 2:20pm On Jan 20, 2022
You mean Lai Mohammed can do something that can benefit the country? This is surprising.

He has been quiet of late. E be like say Abdulrasak is dealing with him in Kwara. Thankfully he will quit the political scene next year.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by NaijaMutant(f): 2:20pm On Jan 20, 2022
angry
Re: Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by NwaNimo1(m): 2:20pm On Jan 20, 2022
Next up...........tax on cultural property!

[img]https://media1./images/8449c89b2a5a67af4d98b99a8e403eee/tenor.gif?itemid=21379361[/img]
Re: Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by rajiedreez: 2:20pm On Jan 20, 2022
Good

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by Kollins11: 2:20pm On Jan 20, 2022
I laugh in Buzazu....Nigeria don Zeh!!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by lampard8888: 2:21pm On Jan 20, 2022
Dammm niggar.
I couldnt read the episodes but Whatever it is its okay as long as Tinubu don't bcome president come 2023

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by INTEGRITYA1(m): 2:22pm On Jan 20, 2022
Okay
Re: Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jan 20, 2022
googlepikins:
Misplaced priority

There is nothing misplaced about it. If they steal our cultural relics and properties same you would still blame them for not being proactive.

Now that they saw an opportunity to shut the door of theft why not cease it. Nothing wrong in that and in fact I applaud them for demanding and making sure this was done

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by money121(m): 2:25pm On Jan 20, 2022
Ok
Re: Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jan 20, 2022
BabaIbo:
Like what is the impact on Nigerians in Nigeria or other countries including the country where it was signed?

If you know, you can kindly enlighten me o

America and other countries keep pillaging African arts and culture. In this case Nigerian arts and culture.

They make a truck load of money off it for free due to the high demand from Americans of African decent who wish to know or see something about Africa up close and personal but without coming down here due to what their media keeps dishing out that Africa is a Jungle and we live like monkeys and there is no water or proper housing and it's not safe bla bla bla.

With this, if they wish to monetize our property they would need to not only pay for it but also get permits for them which they would also pay for.

In essence we determine what they get and the narrative they spin.

This way our culture and it's relics are preserved and we are now in the driver's seat to tell our own stories the way they truly are as against the sensationalism the western media always dish out.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by BabaIbo: 2:32pm On Jan 20, 2022
Tetehjewels:

America and other countries keep pillaging African arts and culture. In this case Nigerian arts and culture.

They make a truck load of money off it for free due to the high demand from Americans of African decent who wish to know or see something about Africa up close and personal but without coming down here due to what their media keeps dishing out that Africa is a Jungle and we live like monkeys and there is no water or proper housing and it's not safe bla bla bla.

With this, if they wish to monetize our property they would need to not only pay for it but also get permits for them which they would also pay for.

In essence we determine what they get and the narrative they spin.

This way our culture and it's relics are preserved and we are now in the driver's seat to tell our own stories the way they truly are as against the sensationalism the western media always dish out.

Although I have modified my reply already, but still thanks for the insightful info.
Re: Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by IbileIfe: 2:42pm On Jan 20, 2022
A film treaty with America would have been more appropriate and beneficial.

South Africa has signed the following film treaties:
Co-Production Treaties
SOUTH AFRICA & CANADA - 1997
SOUTH AFRICA & GERMANY - 2004
SOUTH AFRICA & ITALY - 2003
SOUTH AFRICA & UNITED KINGDOM - 2007
SOUTH AFRICA & FRANCE - 2010
SOUTH AFRICA & NEW ZEALAND - 2011
SOUTH AFRICA & AUSTRALIA - 2010
SOUTH AFRICA & IRELAND - 2012
Re: Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by bigdammyj: 2:43pm On Jan 20, 2022
Okay
Re: Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by BlackBaron: 2:56pm On Jan 20, 2022
BabaIbo:
Like what is the impact on Nigerians in Nigeria or other countries.

Modified: It is an agreement to control the illicit stealing of artifacts in Nigeria.

Is this really news worthy at this point in time?
Is this what the masses need?

I think this is just a case of misplaced priority or an action that can be termed "make we do am make dem for no talk say we no dey do anything as leaders."

Some of you are just plain ignorant. Never a fan of this regime or so but this is a highly commendable act. Not every thing is about food and our belly.

Read between the lines however and you also see the potential losses in tourism, foreign exchange amongst others.

So yes, it actually affects the common man, your pride and Nigeria as a whole.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by BERNIMOORE: 3:11pm On Jan 20, 2022
bad news for strugling artists who wants to sell their work without sponsors
Re: Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by BabaIbo: 3:19pm On Jan 20, 2022
BlackBaron:

Some of you are just plain ignorant. Never a fan of this regime or so but this is a highly commendable act. Not every thing is about food and our belly.

Read between the lines however and you also see the potential losses in tourism, foreign exchange amongst others.

So yes, it actually affects the common man, your pride and Nigeria as a whole.

For starting your response with an insult, kindly get the fv ck out of my mention after this my response.

How does it affect the common man was the question I asked but you're here blabbing.

What is the impact both economically OR any other way on those masses inside different markets, streets, districts etc., running their daily businesses etc...

Since you are daft, you think anything that is contrary to this topic is about stomach.

In your myopic mind you're smarter, wiser and more brilliant than those who don't see the need to start blowing trumpet over this kind of news, right?

This should be normal thing or a normal move by the government, not something that should be celebrated as if 1 naira is now equals to 1 dollar or a vital economic policy or celebrated as if it is a major economic development.

It was even a question at first not criticism, which another reasonable user gave an insightful response on.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by Abbeyme: 3:30pm On Jan 20, 2022
Ok
Re: Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by BlackBaron: 4:33pm On Jan 20, 2022
BabaIbo:

For starting your response with an insult, kindly get the fv ck out of my mention after this my response.

How does it affect the common man was the question I asked but you're here blabbing.

What is the impact both economically OR any other way on those masses inside different markets, streets, districts etc., running their daily businesses etc...

Since you are daft, you think anything that is contrary to this topic is about stomach.

In your myopic mind you're smarter, wiser and more brilliant than those who don't see the need to start blowing trumpet over this kind of news, right?

This should be normal thing or a normal move by the government, not something that should be celebrated as if 1 naira is now equals to 1 dollar or a vital economic policy or celebrated as if it is a major economic development.

It was even a question at first not criticism, which another reasonable user gave an insightful response on.

You are ignorant if all in life is about your belly.
Like said, read between the lines and if you fail to see the benefit, then you owe your wards whatever education they might have paid for your level of knowledge.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Signs Cultural Property Implementation Act Agreement With USA by mutantninja: 4:38pm On Jan 20, 2022
BabaIbo:

You’re really ignorant… gtfoh with your low mentality

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cross River To Send Back 3000 Fulani Refugees To Taraba / Who Should Be Buhari's Running Mate / Yakubu Gowon Not Dead!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.