Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,161 members, 7,835,878 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? (43411 Views)

Why Don’t Nigerians Keep Their Phones In Their Pockets? / Whatsapp To Let Users Message Without Their Phones / Reactions Of People When Their Phones Malfunction (Memes) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by noegenesis(m): 10:36am On Jan 22, 2022
The easiest way to keep up with numerous group messages is to use your phone at every slightest opportunity

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by Iykemunor: 10:54am On Jan 22, 2022
If you carry phone for pocket den go say e dey affect gbola, if you hold for hand dem go complain. Oga tell us where we go dey carry am.
Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by Henz81: 10:57am On Jan 22, 2022
todaynewsreview:
This is just my personal observation but for a while, I've observed this trend and can't really tell why. Even car owners or drivers, as soon as they stepped out of their vehicles, one of the first things they go for is their phones on their hands.

This is a global trend and not just among Nigerians along. Though, it's called handset as most persons will argue, the meaning of the word "handset" doesn't necessarily mean holding it all the time. Handset simply means a "Mobile Phone".

Is the pocket or bags not good enough for keeping of phones? Even as I write this, I keep observing same scenario. You may make your research on this too if this hypothesis is valid or not.

What do you think is the reason?
Hey, I like people that mind their business.
Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by donMIG(m): 10:58am On Jan 22, 2022
Some ppl don't feel comfortable with it in the pockets
I do hold my fone in the hand sometyms
Some ppl just want to showoff
To carry plot of land moni for inside pocket no b joke o

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by JennyOfOldstones(f): 10:58am On Jan 22, 2022
todaynewsreview:
This is just my personal observation but for a while, I've observed this trend and can't really tell why. Even car owners or drivers, as soon as they stepped out of their vehicles, one of the first things they go for is their phones on their hands.

This is a global trend and not just among Nigerians along. Though, it's called handset as most persons will argue, the meaning of the word "handset" doesn't necessarily mean holding it all the time. Handset simply means a "Mobile Phone".

Is the pocket or bags not good enough for keeping of phones? Even as I write this, I keep observing same scenario. You may make your research on this too if this hypothesis is valid or not.

When you live in a place like Lagos where at least 10 people are stalking you to either pick your pockets or snatch your bag; it's best to hold your phone in your hands. I'm speaking from experience
Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by placeofallure(f): 11:02am On Jan 22, 2022
illicit:
Because it is an Handset

A handset.

The "h" in handset isn't silent. Because the "h" is voiced, you can't use the article "an" to modify "handset."

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by illicit(m): 11:03am On Jan 22, 2022
placeofallure:

A handset.

The "h" in handset isn't silent. Because the "h" is voiced, you can't use the article "an" to modify "handset."

kiss
Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by Ten06(m): 11:10am On Jan 22, 2022
They believe that if they put the phone very close to their skin or pocket the radiation emanating from the phone may cause cancer to their skin
Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by NamelessOGBENI(m): 11:13am On Jan 22, 2022
alpharoyalty:
It depend on the location.
In a city like Lagos, it is safer to hold your phone tightly in your hand.
You took this out of my keypad.

Na 2k phone I dey always carry comot whenever I dey streets. Pesin wey loose guard me gatz think am well.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by placeofallure(f): 11:13am On Jan 22, 2022
illicit:

kiss

Yes please.

There are only four words in the entire English vocabulary where the "h" at the beginning is silent.

Hour, Honour, Heir and Honest.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by uptownemmygee(m): 11:14am On Jan 22, 2022
Me I Don't like holding my phones because nah stress, just imagine holding an iPhone and a Samsung for each hand you Don die well be that
Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by illicit(m): 11:27am On Jan 22, 2022
placeofallure:

Yes please.

There are only four words in the entire English vocabulary where the "h" at the beginning is silent.

Hour, Honour, Heir and Honest.

kiss
Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by Stanley1155: 11:32am On Jan 22, 2022
Because it is their phone.
Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by afadi2410: 11:33am On Jan 22, 2022
Abeg who post this nonsense?
Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by Clickguy44: 11:35am On Jan 22, 2022
It's because we are cyborgs. Half human and Half machine. Most of us can't even do without our phones for six afternoon hours.
Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by frozen70(f): 11:36am On Jan 22, 2022
todaynewsreview:

That's while it's called mobile phone
Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by Olam09(m): 11:52am On Jan 22, 2022
todaynewsreview:

It's okay for men.. because it emits radiation and this can affect the male scotrum.. as you see me so i dey always hold my phone for hand always or make i drop am at home
Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by lacasera14(m): 11:52am On Jan 22, 2022
Na so Dem take thief my phone. I always keep it in my pocket now.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by ALFADOS(m): 11:59am On Jan 22, 2022
TO ME IS MORE SAFE IN YOUR HAND THAN IN YOUR POCKET DUE TO THE LOCATION YOU ARE LIVING
Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by Afonasa(m): 12:02pm On Jan 22, 2022
For me I think its radiation and two,if that phone is more of a business phone or somehow related to ur business activities, even me will prefer to hold it,just in case

Freelancing gets better with good gigs and great reviews, if not you ain't doing it right,and that's where I come in to help u get it right even as a newbie. Check my signature for more info
Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by yusluvad(m): 12:05pm On Jan 22, 2022
christaddicted:
Research has it that phone in the pocket of a man could affect his reproductive organ due to radiation from the phone.
Valid point...
Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by bluefilm: 12:11pm On Jan 22, 2022
todaynewsreview:
If you've ever in your life gone through the four walls of a University, you would have known what an hypothesis mean. What do you even consider as a meaningless question? Do you know how many research findings that's imbedded in this thread so far? If you've not learnt anything from here so far, please leave others to learn. Thanks.

I will be so interested to know what you must have learnt from this thread by the end of the thread.
Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by seanwilliam(m): 12:33pm On Jan 22, 2022
I hold my phone in my hands everytime too.. not for show off, but I’m so careless , leaving the phone in my pocket is risky ,

1. It might get scratched by keys
2. It might get stolen by pickpocket
3. I also heard that it affects men sperm angry cheesy
Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by NohurryInLife: 12:44pm On Jan 22, 2022
donMIG:
Some ppl don't feel comfortable with it in the pockets
I do hold my fone in the hand sometyms
Some ppl just want to showoff
To carry plot of land moni for inside pocket no b joke o
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by redsun(m): 12:51pm On Jan 22, 2022
It is part of the machination of humans to rely more on tech, rather than one another. It is a digital and robotic world that is changing what it means to be human. Although you may not get a clear picture of the trend from that foggy and uncharted jungle, the change is happening fast across the dynamic world.
Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by todaynewsreview: 12:56pm On Jan 22, 2022
bluefilm:

I will be so interested to know what you must have learnt from this thread by the end of the thread.

If you've got no lesson from the comments so far, then I will implore you to begin again from the first page. Put hatred aside. We all learn from each other in life. You're a good fellow and with little humility, you'll make great strides. Stay Blessed.
Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by Southernigbo: 12:58pm On Jan 22, 2022
What if u hold it in ur hands and u attract big criminal bouncers to start following or tracking u up and down, .don't u think u might eventually be dispossed?
Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by LollySeaSide: 1:10pm On Jan 22, 2022
todaynewsreview:

It obvious you don't live in Lagos.
You'd have known better.
The only reason why boys will not steal your hand in Lagos is because they're yet to get something they can use to cut your hand off without you noticing.
Phone in your pocket is just the property of the boys waiting to be taken.
It's worse in your bag.
Na hand sure pass.
And I'll grab my phone very very tight whenever I'm within such areas.
Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by Originalsly: 1:18pm On Jan 22, 2022
alpharoyalty:

[b][It depend on the location./b]
In a city like Lagos, it is safer to hold your phone tightly in your hand.

In a city like New York the backpocket is where most frequent phone users keep their phones... male and female... never mind a quarter of the phone will be sticking out.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by merits(m): 1:24pm On Jan 22, 2022
tayo60:
Common among men

Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by alizma: 1:36pm On Jan 22, 2022
IT'S CALLED HANDSET
Re: Why Do Most Adults Hold Their Phones While Walking? by Hollyharjii: 2:12pm On Jan 22, 2022
Since Nov 2019 at Beere in Ibadan, have learnt my lesson that phone is meant to be held in the hand, those pickpocket guys stole my phone (pouvoir 2 pro) without me knowing at all, was at the verge of boarding a bus... I track it but to no avail...

My own bitter experience, so since then I dare not put it inside my pocket anymore

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Countries Affected By Internet Outage / Did GLO Send You This TEXT >:( SCREENSHOT / How To Borrow Credit From Airtel In Nigeria – Extra Credit Code

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.