Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,934 members, 7,838,336 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

Nigerian-british Chartered Accountant Wins UK By-election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian-british Chartered Accountant Wins UK By-election (505 Views)

Meet Adetomiwa Edun, Nigerian-British Actor Son Of Nigeria’s Finance Minister / Akeredolu Commissions Nigerian-British Chamber Of Commerce Plaza (PHOTOS) / Rivers State House Of Assembly By-election Results Update (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian-british Chartered Accountant Wins UK By-election by trutharena: 8:59pm On Jan 21, 2022
Biyi Oloko, a British citizen of Nigerian descent and Conservative candidate, has won the Tilehurst South and Holybrook by-election in the United Kingdom. The Tilehurst South and Holybrook seat was run as a by-election after the death of incumbent councillor Peter Argyle, after 24 years of meritorious service.

Oloko, the new Conservative councillor, who has now been elected to West Berkshire Council, emerged victorious in the by-election that was also contested by Labour and the Liberal Democrats.

Speaking after his election, Oloko, who was quoted by leading weekly news outlet, Newburytoday Newspaper, said: “I can’t wait to get started on continuing Peter’s work alongside councillor Richard Somner. I met many of our residents on their doorsteps and their message was very clear, their priorities will be my priorities as I look forward to continuing to build on the good record of the Conservatives-led administration.”

Lynne Doherty, Conservative leader of West Berkshire Council said: “I’m delighted to welcome Biyi to the group. We share a passion for community involvement and I’m sure that he will champion the voice of his residents in this area.

Berkshire is a county in South East England. One of the home counties, Berkshire was recognised by Queen Elizabeth II as the Royal County of Berkshire in 1957 because of the presence of Windsor Castle, and letters of patents were issued in 1974.

Oloko was a former Special Adviser on Economic Planning and Internal Revenue to late governor of Oyo State Abiola Ajimobi.

Oloko is a chartered accountant whose boardroom experience traverses the Private Sector, Public Sector and Public-Private Partnerships (PPP).

He is the CEO of Stephen Simeon Limited, an international advisory business with presence in the UK and Africa. He has an excellent reputation as a leading expert in structuring transactions, business recovery and business turnaround.

Oloko is an active volunteer in the Berkshire region where he is a Vice President of the Thames Valley District of Chartered Accountants and an Ambassador of the Institute of Directors (Berkshire).

Source: https://guardian.ng/news/nigerian-british-chartered-accountant-biyi-oloko-wins-uk-by-election/amp/

CC: Mynd44 Lalasticala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian-british Chartered Accountant Wins UK By-election by EmilyD: 9:01pm On Jan 21, 2022
People making people proud

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian-british Chartered Accountant Wins UK By-election by Danzysb(m): 9:10pm On Jan 21, 2022
Good news.
Re: Nigerian-british Chartered Accountant Wins UK By-election by trutharena: 9:14pm On Jan 21, 2022
Danzysb:
Good news.

Yeah
Re: Nigerian-british Chartered Accountant Wins UK By-election by Entprys(m): 9:31pm On Jan 21, 2022
Yoruba in diaspora. We are 2much
Re: Nigerian-british Chartered Accountant Wins UK By-election by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jan 21, 2022
The funny thing is that some people will come here and start crying about quota system and how bad leaders are ruining Nigeria and how he succeeded because they reward merit in the UK.

The truth is, the guy won because he first and foremost joined a party, took part in their activities, carried suitcase and load for the party bigwigs, and made connections, and garnered support over several years. By the time he was ready, the people and powers were lined up behind him.

A lot of people think Obama became president of the USA like magic. The guy joined a party, at one time had to twale for party bigwigs, and ran for small then big posts. It took him nearly 15 years.

As we are crying 'we want youth and we want southern president' let us also do the hard work. No one will dash monkey banana.
Re: Nigerian-british Chartered Accountant Wins UK By-election by SmartProf(m): 9:31pm On Jan 21, 2022
When he assumes office, he will live a simple life and work for the people he represents but should the same black man win an election in Nigeria he will become like Nebuchadnezzar & oppress the people while stealing them dry.
Re: Nigerian-british Chartered Accountant Wins UK By-election by MufasaLion: 9:35pm On Jan 21, 2022
Yankee, I'm coming!

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Bans Activities Of NURTW Indefinitely, Directs RRS To Enforce The Order / See The Next President / See Photo of Kalu's Media Aide & Senator Bello Mandiya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.