Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,651 members, 7,865,613 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 09:46 PM

Nigerian Running For A Ny Council Seat - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Running For A Ny Council Seat (493 Views)

Victor Eni Won Borough Council Seat, UK Election 2015(pic) / What Will Abacha Do With united nation Security Council Seat / Nigeria Wins Un Security Council Seat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Running For A Ny Council Seat by aloyemeka1: 10:59pm On Jun 20, 2011
[size=14pt]NIgerian running for a NY council seat[/size]

Nigerian in race for New York city council seat
On June 20, 2011 · In News Tweet

New York - Nigeria’s David Kayode says he will run for a seat in the New York City Council, hoping to become the first African to be elected into the council.
Kayode, a Baptist priest and staff member of the New York City Department of Homeless Services, is running for the 28th Council District in Queens in the election to be held in November.

He said in New York that his campaign would focus on “employment, education, housing and public safety’’ for his constituents in New York.
He expressed the belief that his vocation as an ordained priest and a credentialed Alcohol and Substance Abuse (addiction) Counselor makes him a candidate to beat at the elections.

“If you fear God, you will know how to deal with individuals with issues. You will not be an island to yourself.

“If I say because I am a minister, I am not going to be a politician to help my own people, that is self prophesy.

“People in the community need people who fear God to be in City Hall and the people in City Hall know me for so long because I was a legislative aide to Thomas White from 2002 till he passed away last year.

“We have a very solid base to serve our people with the fear of God in our mind,’’ he said.

The native of the Ijero Kingdom in Ekiti State, who travelled to the U.S. in 1977, said his close relationship with the former city council man would serve as a boost to his campaign.
White spent 15 years in office under three different mayors and died last August after a long battle with cancer.

During his tenure, the veteran Queens legislator reportedly worked tirelessly to break the cycle of poverty and violence in his constituency.

Kayode, a democrat and avid supporter of President Barack Obama, is married to Adunni, with three girls and two boys.

The New York City Council is the law-making body of the City of New York and comprises of 51 members from 51 council districts throughout the five boroughs.

The council works closely with the mayor each year to develop and approve the city’s annual budget.

For 2012, the New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg had proposed a 65.7-billion dollar fiscal budget for the city council. (NAN)

(1) (Reply)

Bi-courtney To Resume Work On Lagos-ibadan Expressway / Kwara Pdp Won’t Share Appointments With ‘okere’ (acpn) Members / Inspector General Of Police: Comedian Of The Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.