Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,900 members, 7,828,175 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

2nd Top Goalscorer At The Under-17 World Championship In 2001 Goes Blind. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 2nd Top Goalscorer At The Under-17 World Championship In 2001 Goes Blind. (379 Views)

Nigeria Vs Ecuador: FIFA Under 17 World Cup (3 - 2) Full Time / Ese Odoko: My Son Ogaga Oduko Dropped From U-17 World Cup For Abba Abichi / Etienne, Samuel Eto'o's Son To Play For Cameroon In FIFA Under-17 World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2nd Top Goalscorer At The Under-17 World Championship In 2001 Goes Blind. by founts(m): 8:33am On Jan 23, 2022
Femi Opabunmi became blind in the right eye, a condition that mysteriously could not be cured by the best medical practitioners.

A 16-year-old Opabunmi finished the 2001 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Trinidad and Tobago as the second highest goalscorer and the third best player of the tournament. The following year at 17, he was part of the Super Eagles to the 2002 FIFA World Cup.

He played for a few clubs, including Shooting Stars FC, Grasshoppers Zürich, Hapoel Be'er Sheva and Chamois Niortais in France for like one season when the eye problem started,” he further said.

"I woke up one day and I just saw the cloud, I was not seeing well, then i went to see a doctor in France for Porche, the doctor said it was a case of glaucoma. They said my case was complicated that they don’t understand everything. we went from one place to another before i returned to Nigeria and started going from one place to another, Native doctor, anybody". He retired from football in 2006 due to serious glaucoma.

These days, Opabunmi resides in Ibadan with his wife and three children at his bungalow, the only property he owns, the only thing remaining after he sold everything. He is now totally blind in the right eye. ©Sport Chronicles

Re: 2nd Top Goalscorer At The Under-17 World Championship In 2001 Goes Blind. by thesicilian: 8:51am On Jan 23, 2022
After all the fame and wealth, only to return to a bungalow in Ibadan, blind in one eye. May God deliver us from a journey in circles.
Re: 2nd Top Goalscorer At The Under-17 World Championship In 2001 Goes Blind. by Manigie: 9:41am On Jan 23, 2022
Na this kind frustration fit kill person.... Takes only the strong at heart to get through this. May we not taste wealth only to return to poverty
Re: 2nd Top Goalscorer At The Under-17 World Championship In 2001 Goes Blind. by Raxxye(m): 9:49am On Jan 23, 2022
Eyaa!
Sad tale!
Re: 2nd Top Goalscorer At The Under-17 World Championship In 2001 Goes Blind. by paulolee(m): 10:17am On Jan 23, 2022
just too sad...I pity for him though....after tasting wealth n he returns bl to penury, GODforbid
Re: 2nd Top Goalscorer At The Under-17 World Championship In 2001 Goes Blind. by paulolee(m): 10:18am On Jan 23, 2022
Manigie:
Na this kind frustration fit kill person.... Takes only the strong at heart to get through this. May we not taste wealth only to return to poverty
a big ameeen o...na big depression b dt
Re: 2nd Top Goalscorer At The Under-17 World Championship In 2001 Goes Blind. by juniorstar(m): 1:06pm On Jan 23, 2022
This life ehn..person wey suppose don get crib for banana. The wife and pikins ticket just cut. Nawa oo

(1) (Reply)

Afcon. How Did This Lion Enter The Stadium / Chelsea’s Next Five Fixtures Will Push Them To Title Contention / The Match That Made Chelsea SELL Kevin De Bruyne!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.