Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,046 members, 7,821,600 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:31 PM

Is Lagos A State Or A City? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Lagos A State Or A City? (978 Views)

Uyo: A City Besieged By ‘street Children’ / Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate / Aso Rock Insists Ambode Is Lagos APC Candidate Against Tinubu's Choice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Lagos A State Or A City? by Sammy07: 8:23pm On Jan 23, 2022
I saw some "ignorant" comments on this topic that was on the front page many Minutes ago

https://www.nairaland.com/6952453/which-richest-city-nigeria.

I'm here to enlighten y'all and myself.
I'm using western states as examples

Lagos, Ondo and Oyo states all have towns/cities to which they derived their names from.

Lemme start with Lagos state
Lagos state comparies of many towns and local government. Some of these towns are, Ikorodu, Epe, Badagry, agege, Lagos etc.

Lagos city is mainly Lagos Island, Yaba, Surulere, festac.

While other towns in Lagos states are Ikorodu, Ikeja, Agege, Mushin, Epe, Badagry

So don't be surprised if anyone told you he's going to Lagos inside Lagos state cheesy

Ondo state.
There is also a town called Ondo city in Ondo state, just like Lagos. The difference between Ondo city and Lagos city is that, Ondo city is just only a town that doesn't covers other towns.

if Ondo city witness the kind of development Lagos city witnessed, Ore, Idanre, Ile oluji will all be called Ondo city (buh they will retain thier normal towns name, same as festac, yaba etc under Lagos city) under about 4 local governments apart from Akure and some farther places.

Oyo state.
There is a town called Oyo city in Oyo state. The same thing that applies to Ondo town/city also applied to Oyo town/city

If Oyo town witness the kind of development Lagos city witnessed, Oyo town up to the borders of Ogbomosho, Ibadan, Iwo, Iseyin will all be called Oyo city .

Kindly note that Ikorodu, Ikeja, Agege, Mushin, Epe etc where all under western region , (Ogun state to be precise) b4 they were merged with Lagos city. Therefore naming the whole state Lagos state.

2 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A State Or A City? by Mynd44: 10:38pm On Jan 23, 2022
The larger part of Lagos is a city-state

2 Likes

Re: Is Lagos A State Or A City? by God1000(m): 10:45pm On Jan 23, 2022
Lagos just like new York is a state with few backwoods, but the bigger part is well developed.
Re: Is Lagos A State Or A City? by FreeStuffsNG: 11:09pm On Jan 23, 2022
Sammy07:
I saw some "ignorant" comments on this topic that was on the front page many Minutes ago

Lagos, Ondo and Oyo states all have towns/cities to which they derived their names from.

Kindly note that Ikorodu, Ikeja, Agege, Mushin, Epe etc where all under western region , (Ogun state to be precise) b4 they were merged with Lagos city. Therefore naming the whole state Lagos state.

You are right. It was to get enough land mass for a state. On record, most of the real estate in Ikeja,especially the Ikeja Industrial estate, originally belong to the western region government.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos A State Or A City? by tollyboy5(m): 1:25am On Jan 24, 2022
Sammy07:
I

Epe was under western region not ogun state please. Epe became a lagos province after ijebu kingdom was defeated by british.
Epe has never been ogun state

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos A State Or A City? by tollyboy5(m): 1:27am On Jan 24, 2022
Mynd44:
The larger part of Lagos is a city-state
Simple! EOD
Re: Is Lagos A State Or A City? by salesbloo: 1:53am On Jan 24, 2022
Lagos is a City-State or Metropolis.....both City and a State. Lagos is:
1.The whole Lagos State is called Lagos
2.Also Lagos Island, Ikoyi, Victoria Island which happened to be former Federal Capital territory of Nigeria is also called Lagos
3.Lagos Island is also called Lagos....as the Lagosians will say " Mo nlo se eko" or the Bus Drivers and conductors will be calling "Eko, Eko, Eko Idumota"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos A State Or A City? by izombie(m): 8:02am On Jan 24, 2022
Lagos is first and foremost a state. Then inside the state there is a part of it named lagos. Just like Enugu state but there is also a town in enugu state called enugu which is the state capital. It's simple. Lagos as a whole is a city. Lagos town in Lagos state is also a city because it's developed to a city level. Got it?

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos A State Or A City? by Nobody: 9:14am On Jan 24, 2022
You ask stupid question!

You can as well ask if Kano is a city or a state,. Kaduna, Enugu.

Lagos is a State having the larger part of metropolis calked Lagos city with about 12LGAs
Re: Is Lagos A State Or A City? by helinues: 9:19am On Jan 24, 2022
Which kind question be this?

Is Lagos been removed from one of the Nigeria states?
Re: Is Lagos A State Or A City? by Nobody: 9:22am On Jan 24, 2022
Top cities in Lagos State

1. Lagos city metropolis; which are islands, Apapa, Ikeja, oshodi, festac,
2. Badagry
3. Ikorodu
4. Epe

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos A State Or A City? by AlphaTaikun: 3:16pm On Feb 27, 2022
Sammy07:

Right off the bat... smiley

A "Megacity" is just a term that
is used to describe a metropolis or city where a great number of people running into millions live.
It is in this context that the term
Lagos megacity is used starting
from Lagos Island, Ikoyi Island,
Iruland (the original Yoruba name for Victoria Island), Surulere, etc.

However, these places or towns
that I mentioned above are DISTINCT towns or city (Lagos Island is a city) with different
Obas or Yoruba traditional rulers
and different LGA administrations such as Iru-Victoria Island LGA.

Lagos Island (Eko) was the former administrative capital of Nigeria from 1914 to 1991 NOT Lagos State which only came into existence 55 years ago on May 27, 1967.

Over 90% of the total land size of Lagos State was carved out from
the Old Western Region area now known as Ogun State. This is the reason why Aworiland and Ijebuland extend from Ogun State right into Lagos State.

1] Ibeju-Lekki, Epe, and Ikorodu are the 3 Ijebu Local Governments Areas in Lagos State.

2] Badagry LGA is inhabited indigenously by Aworis and
Ogus.

3] The Awori-Yorubas are the owners or indigenes of the remaining 17 LGAs and areas in Lagos State such as Ikeja, Ilupeju, Oshodi-Isolo, Mushin, Ojo, Amuwo Odofin, Agege, Orile Iganmu (Orile Iganmu and Mushin were the boundaries between the Western Region [which was governed by Chief Obafemi Awolowo, GCFR, SAN and later by Chief Samuel Ladoke Akintola], and the Lagos capital territory).

In the historical archives, Lord Fred Lugard actually wanted Kaduna to be the new administrative capital in 1914, because he said Lagos Island was already owned and inhabited by the Yoruba people, and that the
Lagos land size was small, and the weather was enervating... but
the British Home Government rejected Lugard's plan because Lagos Island is very close to sea or international sea routes!

The entire Lagos State was one of the 12 new states created by General Yakubu Gowon for the indigenes of all the states after due consultations with the traditional rulers and politicians from 1966 to 1967 such as Ken Saro-Wiwa, Chief Harold Dappa-Biriye an indigene of Bonny Island [the "father of Ijaw nationalism and ex-student of King's College, Lagos Island]," and more.

Only Ojukwu rejected the new 12 states creation and 2 days later he declared secession of the 3 newly created states within the entire defunct Eastern Region.

Harold Dappa-Biriye, Rivers State leaders of thought and indeed most non-Ibo ethnic groups of today's Akwa Ibom/Cross River States rejected Col. Ojukwu's actions because of the COR Movement which sought for independent governance from
the alleged Ibo domination in the
Old Eastern Region.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

How Fulani Herders Killed My Brother, Burnt My House During Late Night Attack – / We Have Found Worthy Successor To President Buhari In The Person Of Umahi / Watch Out For Open And Subtle Attack On Buhari's Government, By SW.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.