Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,686 members, 7,816,796 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:20 PM

Stop Asking Nigerians To Write IELTS (Petition) - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Stop Asking Nigerians To Write IELTS (Petition) (26602 Views)

Which Visa Is Easy For Nigerians To Get In 2023 / What Is The Best Country In The World For Nigerians To Relocate To And Why? / Fraudsters: STOP Asking Your Kins Abroad To Help You Aid Your Selfish Interests! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Asking Nigerians To Write IELTS (Petition) by Caseless: 5:50am On Jan 27, 2022
3. REDUCE TEST COST, INCREASE VALIDITY PERIOD

A good compromise, although not ideal for us, is for the cost of the test to be reduced by at least 30% and for the validity period to be increased from 2 years to 5 years.
are the petitioners serious at all? Why should they even include this as an option? Tell them to put Africa on exemption list, simple. After all, we didn't ask them to come and colonize us.
Re: Stop Asking Nigerians To Write IELTS (Petition) by WoundedLamb: 6:26am On Jan 27, 2022
DesChyko:

I think the problem with that write up is the paragraph following that comma; which would fail a written test assessment.

I'm also of the opinion that Nigerians do not need to take IELTS. Whatever English assessment that needs to be done can hold during an interview.

Well, I couldn't care less about the paragraph. I just wanted to correct the notion that it is wrong to start a sentence with "because" as posited by the guy I quoted. The paragraph was probably as a result of the user mistakenly clicking the enter button while typing. I don't think anyone would delibrately stop a sentence halfway to start a new paragraph.

I really don't know enough about IELTS to make a case for or against Nigerians. But if these schools have that as a mandatory requirement, I don't think they can be bullied into removing it.
Re: Stop Asking Nigerians To Write IELTS (Petition) by Debose: 7:20am On Jan 27, 2022
Complete exemption of Nigeria as long as we are taught in English, English is our primary means of communications from the Presidency to the National Assembly, Judiciary to Tertiary education secondary primary educations all in English!

We deserve more, those funds paid should be refunded if possible!
Re: Stop Asking Nigerians To Write IELTS (Petition) by shegz24(m): 8:32am On Jan 27, 2022
Lol...even Jamaicans with their "patua English" dont need to prove proficiency in spoken and written English.

Nobi juju be that?

1 Like

Re: Stop Asking Nigerians To Write IELTS (Petition) by Nobody: 9:17am On Jan 27, 2022
airsaylongcon:

Would you say then that JAMB Use of English in The UME exams is an attempt at ripping Nigerians?

1. JAMB UTME is a national examination consisting of 4 subjects (iirc)
2. It doesn't cost nearly as much as IELTS
3. UTME is based on a total grading system.
4. Students are only required to retake UTME if they
i. Do not meet the cut-off marks set by JAMB or
ii. are unable to get into tertiary institutions of their choice.

There is no basis for comparison between IELTS and UTME.

A fair one would be to imagine WAEC having a 2 year validity period. Does this make sense?

Btw, Nigeria is a native English speaking country and what these organisations are doing is extortion (to be put it nicely).
Re: Stop Asking Nigerians To Write IELTS (Petition) by jimcaddy(m): 7:47pm On Jan 28, 2022
I feel that there is more to it. Because it makes no sense to me
Druss:

Dude I know someone who has 2 Masters from top UK universities. He did his first degree in the UK including a diploma. He is still required to write IELTS despite working for over 10 years in an international company where English is the first language. IELTS at worst can create exceptions for such cases. Haba imagine that Wole Soyinka if he wanted to emigrate from Nigeria today would need to write IELTS (this assumes that he doesn't have a second nationality).
Re: Stop Asking Nigerians To Write IELTS (Petition) by timefarm(m): 6:32pm On Jan 30, 2022
NLPoliceWoman:

Seun Mynd44 Justwise Dominique.
Rule 1
I hope you are ok now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

19-year-old Nigerian Among Refugees Rescued From The Mediterranean (pics) / 15 Ways To Identify And Secure Yourself Against “one Chance” Bandits / Photos From Accident Along Potiskum-azare Highway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.