Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,386 members, 7,815,820 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final (8391 Views)

Djokovic Beats Medvedev For His 9th Australian Open / Rafael Nadal Beats Dominic Thiem To Win 12th French Open Title / US Open Final: Serena Williams Accuses Umpire Ramos Of 'Sexism' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jan 30, 2022
Rafael Nadal won a record 21st Grand Slam men's title in the most stunning fashion, fighting back from two sets down to beat Russia's Daniil Medvedev in a classic Australian Open final.

Backed by a loud Melbourne crowd, sixth seed Nadal rallied to win 2-6 6-7 (5-7) 6-4 6-4 7-5 on Rod Laver Arena.

US Open champion Medvedev was going for his second successive major title.
Medvedev, 25, was in command before Nadal showed all of his renowned grit and fight to earn an extraordinary win.

The 35-year-old Spaniard has been at the centre of some of the sport's most incredible triumphs - but this surely goes down as the most amazing Grand Slam victory of his illustrious career.

Nadal's achievement comes only a few months after he thought he would never be able to return to the tour because of a foot injury.

In the absence of the deported Novak Djokovic and the injured Roger Federer in Melbourne, Nadal has moved one ahead of his great rivals in the race to finish with most major men's singles titles.

It is the left-hander's second Australian Open title and comes 13 years after his only previous success.

"Without a doubt it is one of the most emotional wins of my career," Nadal, who had also previously lost four Australian Open finals, said after the trophy presentation.

Nadal's emotional celebrations after adversity

Chronic pain in Nadal's left foot restricted him to only one tournament in the final seven months of 2021, while a bout of coronavirus in mid-December also left him "very sick with fever".

Those setbacks meant the Australian Open was just his second competitive event in five months, having won a warm-up tournament at Melbourne Park earlier in January.
Nadal sealed victory against Medvedev after five hours 24 minutes - and at 01:11 local time in Melbourne - when the second seed could not return a net volley on the first of the Spaniard's three match points.

Dropping his racquet to the floor, Nadal stood motionless with his hands on hips as his jaw dropped. After a warm embrace with Medvedev, he walked towards his support team and exploded with emotion.

A triple first-pump was followed by a drop to his knees, his hands covering his face as he looked up to the sky.

Nadal slowly walked over to his players' box, hugging Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley, on his way to embrace his father Sebastian.

The intensity of his celebration illustrated the euphoria Nadal felt after the obstacles he had overcome - on the night and in the recent months - to win.

Previously in his career, Nadal had only won three matches from two sets down and the most recent of those came at Wimbledon in 2007 against Russia's Mikhail Youzhny.
Victory came at the end of the second longest Grand Slam final in history, just 30 minutes short of the 2012 final at Melbourne Park when Nadal lost to Djokovic.

So much had he given to his record-breaking achievement that during the trophy presentation, Nadal was brought a chair so he could sit down rather than stand.
"I'm physically destroyed," Nadal said in his post-match news conference.

Medvedev's irritation at the pro-Nadal support

At two sets up, Medvedev had looked well on course to back up his victory in New York with another triumph at Melbourne Park.

Nadal lacked fluency with his groundstrokes in the first set, particularly on the backhand side, and Medvedev took five games in a row to seal it, Nadal dumping another backhand into the net, the Spanish left-hander's 16th unforced error against just five from his opponent.
The younger man's dominance was also illustrated by his winning 31 of the total points compared to 17 by Nadal.

With all the statistics in favour of Medvedev, the second set unexpectedly turned Nadal's way at 2-1.

Nadal ended a 40-shot rally with an angled backhand winner, setting up break points for the first time in the match, and an unforced error from Medvedev handed over the game.
Suddenly Nadal had a spring in his step - and had the crowd getting noisier too - as he moved 4-1 ahead.

Three successive breaks of serve soon followed, a run that ended with a dramatic ninth game that stunned the Laver crowd.

It included a set point for Nadal, five break points for Medvedev and the game being halted when a protester jumped on to court before being dragged away by security.
The set eventually went to a tie-break which Medvedev finished the stronger and it appeared doubtful Nadal, already looking tired and sweating a lot, could fight back.
Another pivotal moment came in the sixth game of the third set when Nadal, facing going two sets and a break down, fought off three break points.

Both men continued to hold serve until the ninth game when Nadal, whose indomitable spirit began to grow, pounced.

Medvedev, perhaps as a result of the finishing line coming into view, lost clarity of thought when he tried to prod over a volley and instead hit it into the net.
That brought raucous cheers from the crowd and Medvedev responded with a sarcastic clap of his racquet.

The Spaniard broke and served out the set to love, sending the pro-Nadal crowd into further raptures.

A tense fourth set featured 15 break points, with Nadal taking two of his 10 opportunities to tee up a decider.

Medvedev continued to be irritated by the support being given to Nadal and the frequent noise during his service points, prompting umpire John Blom to repeatedly ask for calm.
Nadal now looked the man with the mental resilience needed to see the job through.
He broke for 3-2 but then wobbled when he served for the match at 5-4, only to break straight back to lead 6-5 and serve out victory at the second attempt.

In his on-court speech, Medvedev thanked his team, and joked: "I'm sure my wife is watching back home but I think the TV will be broken now."

Medvedev became animated with the pro-Nadal crowd

Medvedev, who lost last year's final to Djokovic, was aiming to become the first man in the Open era to win his second Grand Slam title at the next major event after his maiden triumph.

He was the highest seed men's player in Djokovic's absence.
"If we talk about tennis, I'm not that disappointed," Medvedev said.
"It was a huge match, for sure, and there were some small points, small details, that I could have done better if I wanted to win. But that's tennis. That's life.

"Rafa played unreal and raised his level. I mean, two sets to love up, I wanted just to go for him, go for more.

"He was really strong, the way he played for four hours, I was even surprised."

Being confined to bed with Covid for a couple of days just before Christmas had appeared to signal the end of Rafael Nadal's Australian Open aspirations.
The two matches he had played in Abu Dhabi before testing positive were encouraging, but the 35 year old was so far behind in his preparations because of his foot injury.
Nadal has had problems with a bone in the bridge of his foot since a teenager, and he only played two matches in the second half of 2021.

A medical procedure in September had failed to remove the discomfort. Training sessions were often limited to 20 minutes, until Nadal decided it was time to try and push through the pain.

The results have been spectacular, after a late December decision to give the Australian Open his best shot.

His triumph has many echoes of Roger Federer's run to the title in 2017, when the Swiss was also 35 and had spent his own six months away from the tour.

[url:https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/60183864]SOURCE[/url]

7 Likes

Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jan 30, 2022
my best Tennis player or should I say G.O.A.T even though Federer has been better*Modified

Nadal is the first Tennis player to win 21 grand slams he his ahead of federer and Djokovic

8 Likes

Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jan 30, 2022
Like for Roger Federer

Share for Rafael Nadal

66 Likes 77 Shares

Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by Nobody: 6:48am On Jan 31, 2022
in other news Nadal said:

'I don't care much' about record

While eager to win as many Grand Slam titles as possible, Nadal has often said he is not motivated by beating Djokovic and Federer's totals.
After the Australian Open final, he said: "Of course, for me it's amazing to achieve another Grand Slam at this moment of my career. Of course, I know it's a special number, 21.
"I know the big significance of this title. I feel lucky to achieve one more very special thing in my tennis career.
"But I don't care much if I am the best in history, one of the best in history, or not the best in history. Honestly, I don't care much."
Djokovic congratulated Nadal
on his "amazing achievement" and "impressive fighting spirit", while Federer offered his "heartfelt congratulations on becoming the first man to win 21 Grand Slam singles titles".
The Swiss player added: "A few months ago we were joking about both being on crutches, amazing. Never underestimate a great champion."

7 Likes

Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by SultanOfPuna: 7:22am On Jan 31, 2022
Tennis is the most useless sport ive ever seen.
How can only Nadal, Medvedev, djovikic, roger Federer be winning everytime.

The rest are all useless.
Only these 4 players win every year out of 5000+ tennis players in the world.
That is to show you how useless this sport is.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by daniellaakinjoq(f): 7:22am On Jan 31, 2022
Djokovic had this but stubborn head no gree am collect vaccine

5 Likes

Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by izzy4shizzy(m): 7:23am On Jan 31, 2022
They deported Djokovic so Nadal can win

This we know

To all of you quoting me since morning and to those who still plan to quote me, I stand by what I said,

You deport someone for not taking a COVID vaccine that quite frankly doesn't work, after several failed attempts you eventually succeeded in deporting him and you want me to say it's not a conspiracy? Make una go rest

This vaccine thing is beginning to soundike what the Bible predicted, about the mark of the beast, when you'd not be allowed to work or trade without the mark,

Make una continue the qoute me the talk rubbish

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by Ekemeze: 7:23am On Jan 31, 2022
Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by oluwaseyi0: 7:24am On Jan 31, 2022
B
Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by joshjc(m): 7:24am On Jan 31, 2022
G
Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by joshjc(m): 7:24am On Jan 31, 2022
Nadal never-say-die mentality is commendable and should be emulated,congratulations to him

5 Likes

Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by WowSweetGuy(m): 7:24am On Jan 31, 2022
Med annoyed me yesterday. From 2sets lead Nadal managed to win him
Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by Offpoint1: 7:25am On Jan 31, 2022
Sorry, I don't know him
Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by Belial06: 7:25am On Jan 31, 2022
Nadal
The king of clay

This brings tears of joy

Well done legend

4 Likes

Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:26am On Jan 31, 2022
We miss Djokovic in this tournament mehn.

Congratulations to Nadal, he utilized the opportunity for the World Number One being absent.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by SideshowBob: 7:27am On Jan 31, 2022
He did well.
Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by Mko123(m): 7:27am On Jan 31, 2022
What do you want the illiterate in nairaland to do when you gave a voluminous write up there?

they will assume it's not worthy to be called a news
Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by chrisnando: 7:27am On Jan 31, 2022
Something that happened almost 24 hours ago
Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by ThierryJay: 7:27am On Jan 31, 2022
From crutches to glory. Congrats Nadal. Now let's go for your 22nd at Roland Garros.

First man in open era history to come from 2 sets down and win the Aussie Open final. Resilient!

Btw Nairaland dey fall hand sometimes sha. Imagine just reporting that PSG won champions league a whole day later. How can this just get to FP after he won since yesterday? E get as e be o.

2 Likes

Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by thoollz: 7:28am On Jan 31, 2022
Nadal is a beast!!! I actually thought he had lost d match after the 2nd set, Mehn that guy is mentally strong even at his age. Medvedev will dominate the ATP once Djokovic and Rafa retires for sure, because these new generation tennis players don't have the mental capacity or tenacity to come from 2 sets down to win a match.

Even with his recent injury woes, what a way to win your 21st grandslam title (the first man to achieve that feat).

4 Likes

Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by SideshowBob: 7:29am On Jan 31, 2022
post=109827556:
We miss Djokovic in this tournament mehn.

Congratulations to Nadal, he utilized the opportunity for the World Number One being absent.
And how are you sure he would have won if he was present. Somebody they beat in America last year.

3 Likes

Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by OsuAmaka: 7:31am On Jan 31, 2022
Jeez!

After the 1st two sets, I switched off completely.
I wrote off Nadal ever coming back. I stopped watching & tuned off any updates on the game.
I was only waiting to receive the news that Medvedev was the Champion..

How did Nadal pull this off?, Nadal coming back from 2 sets down against Medvedev??

Damn!, I very excited!

-Osu amaka

9 Likes

Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by EyenNtokon: 7:33am On Jan 31, 2022
I have 6years facebook account 4 sale. Anybody interested?
Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by cardoctor(m): 7:41am On Jan 31, 2022
He knew he will lose
Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by spy24(m): 7:42am On Jan 31, 2022
izzy4shizzy:
They deported Djokovic so Nadal can win

This we know

Ona don come with ona stories again

2 Likes

Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by Generalkaycee(m): 7:45am On Jan 31, 2022
Nadal ma nigger.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by goodnija: 7:46am On Jan 31, 2022
SultanOfPuna:
Tennis is the most useless sport ive ever seen.
How can only Nadal, Medvedev, djovikic, roger Federer be winning everytime.

The rest are all useless.
Only these 4 players win every year
That is to show you how useless this sport is.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Tennis is a game of skill, and undoubtedly one of the best sport. Get to understand the game and not those that keep winning it. What you do not understand does seem useless.

2 Likes

Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by phemmyfour: 7:46am On Jan 31, 2022
Well deserved

Djokovic loss is Nadal's gain
Re: Nadal Beats Medvedev In Epic Australian Open Final by izzy4shizzy(m): 7:47am On Jan 31, 2022
spy24:

Ona don come with ona stories again

Na lie?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How to become NaijaBet Agent And Earn 35% commission per week / Today S Sure Game ( Enpower Yourself) / Is Joseph Yobo a good Captain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.