Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,715 members, 7,816,947 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:50 PM

For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. (1103 Views)

The Number Of Igbo's Who Can't Speak Their Language Is ALARMIMG!! / This Lady Who Can't Remember Her Name In Lagos / I Can't Speak My Native Language. Is It A Crime? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by Truvelisback(m): 7:31pm On Jan 31, 2022
Good day, Fellas. If u can't speak ur native language, learn and speak. E get. I lost my native tongue while i was in lagos. When i travelled to my village, it was then i knew the importance of speaking it. I stayed there for like 6yrs b4 my native tongue was restored. I speak my native tongue well but not too well.
For those who have lost theirs, this is what u need to do:
1. Always visit ur village and spent sometime there.
2. Always communicate with ur kids in ur language.
3. Always learn, listen, and practice ur native language.
4. Always stay around ur native speakers. However, don't joke with No1 and 2.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by doggedfighter(f): 7:36pm On Jan 31, 2022
Following
Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by MoneyGoDrop: 9:59pm On Jan 31, 2022
This should really be encouraged.

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by Truvelisback(m): 10:14pm On Jan 31, 2022
MoneyGoDrop:
This should really be encouraged.
When i got to the village some years back, my cousins and relatives were communicating with me in our native language, i couldn't reply them. They were just laughing at me. This made me to buckle up to learn and speak my native language. Another reason is that, if u meet ur tribe person or people anywhere, how would u prove to the person or people that u are from that tribe?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by ImaIma1(f): 3:07pm On Feb 01, 2022
Si I should leave my work and family and go and live in the village because I want to learn my language.

4 Likes

Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by Truvelisback(m): 3:16pm On Feb 01, 2022
ImaIma1:
Si I should leave my work and family and go and live in the village because I want to learn my language.
No, visit and spend sometime there every end of the year or once in awhile.
Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by Truvelisback(m): 8:06pm On Jan 04, 2023
Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by Truvelisback(m): 8:13pm On Jan 04, 2023
ImaIma1:
U can still learn it whereever u are. All u just need to do is to be passionate to learn and speak it. 1. Associate with those that speak it often. 2. Listen carefully to what they say. 3. Start speaking with them gradually. U can be practising on ur own too.
Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by ahnie: 8:18pm On Jan 04, 2023
Nice thread from duvet.
Most times the parents should share in the blame too.

Where I think people would find it difficult to navigate are those in intertribal marriages.

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by Truvelisback(m): 8:57pm On Jan 04, 2023
ahnie:
Nice thread from duvet.
Most times the parents should share in the blame too.

Where I think people would find it difficult to navigate are those in intertribal marriages.
Most of our parents do speak to us in our native dialect but the kind of enviroment we find ourselves and the kind of people we mingle with could make us lose our Mother's tongue. As for the interibal marriages, there is still possibility to learn and speak atleast one very well if not both. However, learning never ends.
Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by ibkayee(f): 9:15pm On Jan 04, 2023
I blame my parents all the time, they spoke it around us to themselves but were never intentional about teaching it. I’m making more of an active effort to learn mine

5 Likes

Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by Kaycee54321(m): 10:04pm On Jan 04, 2023
ibkayee:
I blame my parents all the time, they spoke it around us to themselves but were never intentional about teaching it. I’m making more of an active effort to learn mine

I've always wondered how your moniker is pronounced... What's your native language?
Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by ibkayee(f): 10:07pm On Jan 04, 2023
Kaycee54321:

I've always wondered how your moniker is pronounced... What's your native language?
Yoruba

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by Meandmycrew(f): 10:14pm On Jan 04, 2023
I was born and breed in lagos but learnt how to speak my native language wen i got admissison to sch in the east. Now i can speak the most popular three language in Nigeria very well and my favourite ghana language which is twi. Parents encourage your children to speak their native language he get why!

2 Likes

Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by finegirl233: 10:43pm On Jan 04, 2023
I can't thank my father more for helping me in that aspect. i can speak and write in my native language so well that will make one think i grow up in the village.

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by FalseProphet1(m): 10:55pm On Jan 04, 2023
Truvelisback:
Good day, Fellas. If u can't speak ur native language, learn and speak. E get. I lost my native tongue while i was in lagos. When i travelled to my village, it was then i knew the importance of speaking it. I stayed there for like 6yrs b4 my native tongue was restored. I speak my native tongue well but not too well.
For those who have lost theirs, this is what u need to do:
1. Always visit ur village and spent sometime there.
2. Always communicate with ur kids in ur language.
3. Always learn, listen, and practice ur native language.
4. Always stay around ur native speakers. However, don't joke with No1 and 2.
Where are you from?
Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by FalseProphet1(m): 10:56pm On Jan 04, 2023
ImaIma1:
Yes because I see a violent uprising happening in Nigeria and that work would no longer be relevant but you language would.

This I have seen.

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by Mindlog: 1:40am On Jan 05, 2023
Born and raised in Lagos but my parents were very intentional about our native language, so it became an unwritten law that we were free to communicate in Yoruba and English but once we stepped into our compound it is 100% our native language and visiting relatives and my parents friends who were also from my tribe also joined the flow of communicating with us in our native language.

So today, I am very fluent in my native language and it recently earned me an unexpected engagement that paid me very well because it needed only someone who is skilled in my profession and could deliver the service in my native language. wink

Children have the capacity to learn and speak different languages simultaneously, why waste it by having them only learn and speak the English language or pidgin English.

What irks me more is when both parents are of the same tribe and speaks the same language and use it to interact between themselves but use the English language to communicate with their children. angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by Truvelisback(m): 2:26am On Jan 05, 2023
FalseProphet1:
Where are you from?
Why do u ask?
Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by EbenezerTriumph: 2:26am On Jan 05, 2023
finegirl233:
I can't thank my father more for helping me in that aspect. i can speak and write in my native language so well that will make one think i grow up in the village.
where are you from?
Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by FalseProphet1(m): 8:30am On Jan 05, 2023
Truvelisback:
Why do u ask?
I just want to confirm that you're Igbo. Cos most Igbos who grew up outside Igbo land don't know how to speak Igbo language.
Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by Truvelisback(m): 9:37am On Jan 05, 2023
FalseProphet1:

I just want to confirm that you're Igbo. Cos most Igbos who grew up outside Igbo land don't know how to speak Igbo language.
I'm not Igbo but can gradually speak my language well but not perfectly well. I'm stilling learning. Atleast i a m better than some that can't speak it all.
Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by Nobody: 11:08am On Jan 05, 2023
Le ma Afrika a mohuta mang a go se tsebe go bolela leleme la gae? Ke sono ka lena... grin grin grin
Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by Truvelisback(m): 1:13pm On Jan 05, 2023
Samantha123:
Le ma Afrika a mohuta mang a go se tsebe go bolela leleme la gae? Ke sono ka lena... grin grin grin
So, u can speak in tongues?

Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jan 05, 2023
I can speak my home language.. grin grin grin
Truvelisback:
So, u can speak in tongues?
Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by Truvelisback(m): 5:33pm On Jan 05, 2023
Samantha123:
I can speak my home language.. grin grin grin
That's good.
Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by Truvelisback(m): 6:24am On Jan 19
Seun, why have your MODS refused to bring this thread to Frontpage?
Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by Acidosis(m): 9:18am On Jan 19
Language or dialect?

There's a key difference between dialect and language. A Yoruba man from Oyo or Kogi communicating to his children in Yoruba has not met your criteria.

There are over 40 dialects and versions of Yoruba language (Kogi has about 6 versions). Same applies to some Nigeria's major tribes.

So, you need to be very specific.
Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by ibechris(m): 11:24am On Jan 19
Most non igbo speaking Delta people in Lagos now speak yoruba more than their local dialect.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: For Those Who Can't Speak Their Native Language, Learn. E Get Why. by Truvelisback(m): 1:07pm On Jan 20
ibechris:
Most non igbo speaking Delta people in Lagos now speak yoruba more than their local dialect.

At least, it is even better than not being able to speak any native language at all. Native speaking has its own advantages.

(1) (Reply)

Finding Your Purpose / What’s The Best Loan App? /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.