Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,129 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:53 PM

[personal Opinion] The System I Think That Will Make Nigeria Great - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / [personal Opinion] The System I Think That Will Make Nigeria Great (190 Views)

Obasanjo’s Wish On Obi Is Personal Opinion Not Of The Majority - PDP / Mineral Sector Can Make Nigeria Great – Bawa Bwari / 'We Will Make Nigeria Liveable Again' - Buhari Assures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

[personal Opinion] The System I Think That Will Make Nigeria Great by Dymaco(m): 4:00pm On Feb 04, 2022
As the 2023 presidential election is drawing near, many politicians have started showing interest. Each with different portfolios, agenda, qualifications and strategy to attract the votes of the masses to themselves. To the eyes of their supporters, they are the best for job but I strongly believe that Nigeria is too big to be lead by one person even two persons because we are people with diverse cultures and tribes.

We have tried this system of government for over 40 years yet nothing to show for it. Can't we give another system a trial? Let us try regional system of government it may be our saving grace. This federal system of government is full of corruption, tribalism and nepotisim. Even if you put a man of God sent directly from heaven, the system will slow or limits his performance.
Imagine tinubu, osibanjo or fayemi leading the south west; buhari, el rufai, kwankwaso, sanusi, zulum directing the affairs of their region; Peter obi or umahi leading the south east and wike or rotimi piloting the affairs of south south. We need development and this federal system of government cannot give us such. Let us look beyond our unifying factor which is oil and think deeply about the benefits regional government will bring.

Yeah, many people will argue that restructuring should start with state government giving more power to the local government. Sure you might be right because all of them are also part of the restructuring but I believe that what Nigeria needs now is regional government. There are some policy which might favour one region but will hinder another region progress. Take for example, the issue of generating electricity and adding it to national grid or the issue of subsidizing transportation of refined oil to various parts of Nigeria. There are some investment a state government cannot attract without facing bribery and tribal lobbying which is very bad. Let every regions decide on what will make their lives progessive.

We have gone pass the stage where governors sit and wait for monthly allocations that comes from federal government. Can't they sit and think of ways to generate income for their states just like the case of a 60 year old man still collecting monthly allowance from the father. We want a situation where every region will strive hard to generate more funds for their region while they support the center.

The advantages that come when we restructure our system of government overweigh the disadvantages if we can tell ourselves the truth. Every region can easily identify their problems and create suitable solutions to it. When you elect a bad regional government, then only your region bears the implications. Every region can create their own policy they feel will work for them. It will also create a healthy competition between regions. When you know that you eat what you sow, then you will work hard to sow. Imagine where every region is competing to be the best, where every region is making suitable policy that will move their region ahead.

I know that they are factors that will hinder the support regional system of government will get in present Nigeria; those that will feel threatened that it will lead to Nigeria break up, those that feel they can't survive without allocations coming from sales of oil and those benefitting from this present system of government. All these can be solved if every region present their delegates who will sit and iron things out.

For example, the president through its various agency can still be in charge of the oil & gas and solid mineral industries while proper arrangements can be made to ensure that the host region benefit more than 40% while the other regions benefits too or if possible let every region control their resources.

If you have been praying for a progressive Nigeria, then you should support regional system of government. Though it may have its disadvantages but it will be far better than this corrupt expensive system of government we are practicing now. Allow every region to work and develop themselves then you will see the advantages that come with being a Nigerian.
Shalom...

1 Like

Re: [personal Opinion] The System I Think That Will Make Nigeria Great by gidgiddy: 4:06pm On Feb 04, 2022
Sorry bro but the North will never allow this current system to be changed, it favours them more than Regionalism

Why do you think Ojukwu declared Biafra and a civil war was fought? It was because Gowon and his Northern cohorts abolished the 4 Regions that existed back then, and created 12 states

Those 12 States have further been subdivided over the years to present 36 unviable states we have today

1 Like

Re: [personal Opinion] The System I Think That Will Make Nigeria Great by Billingslord: 4:16pm On Feb 04, 2022
gidgiddy:
Sorry bro but the North will never allow this current system to be changed, it favours them more than Regionalism

Why do you think Ojukwu declared Biafra and a civil war was fought? It was because Gowon and his Northern cohorts abolished the 4 Regions that existed back then, and created 12 states

Those 12 States have further been subdivided over the years to present 36 unviable states we have today
you IBO are shameless liar!
gowon did not abolished regionalism,it was your greedy fore father ironsi that abolished it.
and ojukwu fought the war simply because of greed to milk minorities crude oil in old eastern region.
greedy lots!
Re: [personal Opinion] The System I Think That Will Make Nigeria Great by gidgiddy: 5:10pm On Feb 04, 2022
Billingslord:

gowon did not abolished regionalism,it was your greedy fore father ironsi that abolished it.
and ojukwu fought the war simply because of greed to milk minorities crude oil in old eastern region.
greedy lots!

Then ask the question how 4 Regions under Ironsi went to 12 States under Gowon. It didnt happen by magic
Re: [personal Opinion] The System I Think That Will Make Nigeria Great by Dymaco(m): 6:40pm On Feb 04, 2022
Billingslord:

greedy lots!
Then oil have not been discovered in large quantity

(1) (Reply)

2023: Igbo Women To Mobilise 25m Votes For Yahaya Bello / Remembering Nigeria's Biafra War That Many Prefer To Forget / IGP Bestows Distinguished Leadership Award On Gov. Emmanuel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.