Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,529 members, 7,816,292 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:58 AM

Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger (7969 Views)

Ojema Ojetu Sponsors Bill Seeking To Stop NW, SS, SW From Presidential Election / Bill Seeking To Recognise Males As Rape Victims Passed By Senate / Sanusi Living 'Like A Prisoner' In Nasarawa, Police, NSCDC Deny Visitors Access (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by Kuginzi: 7:39pm On Feb 05, 2022
THE lawmaker representing lseyin/ltesiwaju/ Kajola/lwajowa Federal Constituency in Oyo State at the House of Representatives, Shina Peller, has said the intention of his bill has been “misconstrued” to mean scrapping of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps when it actually seeks to make the Nigeria Police Force absorb the security outfit.

Peller had sponsored the National Security and Civil Defence Corps (Repeal and Transition) Bill 2022, which passed first reading on Tuesday.

The bill seeks to repeal the National Security and Civil Defence Corps (Amendment) Act 2007, establish a transition management committee to superintend over the NSCDC, develop regulations and implement procedures for the transfer of assets and personnel of the corps to the Nigeria Police Force, and other related matters.

The bill had generated mixed feelings from the public.

But making clarification in a statement on Saturday, the lawmaker said, “On Tuesday, February 1, 2022, the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (Repeal and Enactment) Bill that I sponsored was read for the first time in the House of Representatives. Expectedly, while some understand and align themselves with the points raised in the bill, some either unknowingly missed the points or deliberately misconstrued the content for reasons best known to them.

“Contrary to what is being falsely spread by some people, the bill is not about scrapping NSCDC but merging the agency with the Nigeria Police Force to achieve better results in policing. The bill does not in any way seek to render people jobless, rather the bill proposes the transfer of assets and personnel of the NSCDC to the Nigeria Police. In other words, assets and personnel will be absorbed by the police; so there won’t be loss of jobs.”

He added, “In conclusion, fragmentation of security resources across multiple competing agencies is counterproductive, coupled with the fact that we have limited resources. What’s the essence of having multiple security agencies with no desirable result when we can harness the resources together to make our Police Force more efficient? This is what the bill seeks to achieve.”
https://punchng.com/peller-defends-bill-seeking-police-nscdc-merger/?amp

1 Like

Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by Nobody: 7:41pm On Feb 05, 2022
The bill has its advantages and disadvantages. but i prefer if they leave it unscrapped.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by helinues: 8:56pm On Feb 05, 2022
Can't government fund both organisation separately?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by delpee(f): 11:49pm On Feb 05, 2022
My only fear is that their work culture is different. NSCDC has been doing a great job especially at the grassroots. Mixing them together may not yield good results. I think that they're better off complementing each other.

BTW why not consider a bill to join HOR and Senate together so we can save some costs?

72 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by GboyegaD(m): 3:40am On Feb 06, 2022
Aren't both of them high handed? They can merge them and make them the reformed Nigerian Police Force.

2 Likes

Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by Lincoln275(m): 3:42am On Feb 06, 2022
It is well
Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by Mophor: 3:44am On Feb 06, 2022
Issokay!!!
Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by na2016: 3:46am On Feb 06, 2022
A good bill m should be supported by all
Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by agbari1: 3:47am On Feb 06, 2022
Let the state manage civil defense and police remains federal

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by Maromark(m): 3:58am On Feb 06, 2022
Which one is befend again undecided

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by Mandela89(f): 4:00am On Feb 06, 2022
It should be merge even senate and house of Rep should also be merge

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by gulfer: 4:40am On Feb 06, 2022
Useless bill, the NSCDC has a totally different mandate from that of the police, Shina is just trying to be clever by half.... angry angry angry angry angry

10 Likes

Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by sheymoni(m): 5:34am On Feb 06, 2022
Too many agencies doing the same thing
Police, NSCDC, Road safety and V. I. O should all be under one body headed by police

2 Likes

Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by ceaser: 5:46am On Feb 06, 2022
Ẹ don be for NSCDC be that.

Once you dine with pigs, you're sure to be covered in mire. That's gonna mark the end of sanity in the outfit and the loss of the little respect Nigerians have for 'em.

Remember than FRSC used to be a very respected, effective, upright, trusted, efficient and reliable outfit until they momentarily got lumped with the Nigerian Police for a few months before the nonsense was reversed.

Unfortunately those few months were enough to get the FRSC infected with the corruption in the Nigerian police. Ever since then, they have been known to take bribes too.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by usecondom(m): 5:48am On Feb 06, 2022
I support this bill. Let the NSCDC be under state as State Police and the Nigeria Police remains federal. Too many security agencies yet can't resolve security problems in the country undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by Beedude(m): 5:49am On Feb 06, 2022
GboyegaD:
Aren't both of them high handed? They can merge them and make them the reformed Nigerian Police Force.
Nigeria Police will corrupt them in no time. Those people will start collecting bribe

1 Like

Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by okorogodwin4(m): 5:56am On Feb 06, 2022
Senate and reps should be merged too

1 Like

Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by nikolasx: 6:06am On Feb 06, 2022
sheymoni:
Police, NSCDC, Road safety and V. I. O should all be under one body headed by police
This is what it should have been in a sane country. In Nigeria, we love to duplicate jobs titles just to make ways on how to share the national cake to our Kings men.

2 Likes

Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by iokpebholo: 6:41am On Feb 06, 2022
Beedude:

Nigeria Police will corrupt them in no time. Those people will start collecting bribe
Are they not corrupt alreadyGo to Niger Delta and see d monumental corruption thats going on by NSCDC..Ask any oil marketer and listen to what he will tell u......A friend of mine paid as much as 50k just adjust his age on NIN porter by NIMC officers...

1 Like

Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by Tekuzukite: 7:21am On Feb 06, 2022
It's easy to excuse in ourselves the same things we accuse in others.
Why can he move to merge the Houses of Assembly and Representative?

2 Likes

Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by 1759ademola(m): 7:41am On Feb 06, 2022
sheymoni:
You want to join FRSC to NPF that is already spoilt. They can even begin from scrapping Police station at Oshodi. Scrap Police and let NSCDC stands. Scrap VIO and leave FRSC.
Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by Googledotcom: 7:47am On Feb 06, 2022
If all the agencies are merged with the police, the workload then becomes too much. The police already has too many department with only a few functioning. I do not support the merging.

Merging should start from the Senate and HOR's, they are the ones gulping bulk of Nigeria's wealth.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by rowland545(m): 7:56am On Feb 06, 2022
iokpebholo:
Are they not corrupt alreadyGo to Niger Delta and see d monumental corruption thats going on by NSCDC..Ask any oil marketer and listen to what he will tell u......A friend of mine paid as much as 50k just adjust his age on NIN porter by NIMC officers...
I'm still studying this your write up I want to understand but I can't...

How nscdc take jump enter nimc?

6 Likes

Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by Nobody: 7:59am On Feb 06, 2022
Looll
Befends
Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by Nobody: 8:00am On Feb 06, 2022
rowland545:

Very funny
Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by Thegoodone13(m): 8:04am On Feb 06, 2022
Why do we have two house when Senate can do the work of house of rep

1 Like

Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by DDNGNG: 8:25am On Feb 06, 2022
Very stupid bill
Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by Tapout(m): 8:36am On Feb 06, 2022
delpee:
My only fear is that their work culture is different. NSCDC has been doing a great job especially at the grassroots. Mixing them together may not yield good results. I think that they're better off complementing each other.

BTW why not consider a bill to join HOR and Senate together so we can save some costs?

Exactly. I suggest the NPF be scrapped, and allow the NSCDC to take up both roles.

1 Like

Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by ComeToJesus: 8:41am On Feb 06, 2022
Those red necks won't like the merger because of the poor public perception and perfidy in the police force.
Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by iokpebholo: 9:29am On Feb 06, 2022
rowland545:

A very large percentage of policemen are very corrupt not because they are policemen but because they are nIgerians..I mentioned NIMC just to create a picture of how corruption has eaten deep into every single public institution in nigeria
Re: Peller Befends Bill Seeking Police, NSCDC merger by NOETHNICITY(m): 9:36am On Feb 06, 2022
This bill should be supported by all Nigerians

gulfer:
Useless bill, the NSCDC has a totally different mandate from that of the police, Shina is just trying to be clever by half.... angry angry angry angry angry
Please Oga what is the mandate given to nscdc that is different from those given to the police

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mascot Kalu: Abia Too Backward, We Need Strong, Prepared Leader Like Me / The Man Patrick Ifeanyi Uba / Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.