Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,822 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:51 AM

Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF (17032 Views)

Constitution Amendment: NASS Considers Life Pension For Presiding Officers / Hushpuppi: Police Under Pressure From AGF, Others To Clear Abba Kyari / Zamfara APC: We’ve Not Received Any Letter From AGF —INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by sammyj: 11:02am On Feb 06, 2022
:DGood news
Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by Newboss(m): 11:02am On Feb 06, 2022
That one about women na just straight up sexism. That trash should not be in our constitution. Elective offices should be for any adult irrespective of their gender.

Imagine making a law that only men should occupy a certain percentage of elective offices. That is how stupid and strange this amendment is.

If a woman wants an office, she should fight for it the same way men fight for office. Toto shouldn't change nothing when it comes to democratic processes. We cannot be sending Africa backwards every single year by designating women as powerless. Women are human beings like men. They should hustle and earn whatever they get.

Women don't need no extra empowerment.

7 Likes

Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by LordIsaac(m): 11:04am On Feb 06, 2022
Brendaniel:
better for the ministry of justice but what kind of law is this : For more representation in elective offices, special seat concessions were recommended for allocation to women at all levels.

to me this is not a good thing to reserve seats without contesting just because you are a woman, I was in primary and secondary school and almost throughout our my stay in a mixed school, girls were our class captain not because they were girls but they worked for it(they topped the class most times), I don't know where this idea of giving someone something just because they are females...
You will not see any lady complaining about this ...most of their achievements are always on a platter of gold, especially the use of clitocurrency.

3 Likes

Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by shortIGBOman: 11:18am On Feb 06, 2022
Buhari is working grin

Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by Leshyne(m): 11:20am On Feb 06, 2022
What about serious penalty for corruption. The kind that brought progress in China. At least they can serve 1year for every million stolen or misappropriated.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by mu2sa2: 11:23am On Feb 06, 2022
Damidave1124:
At least, it will reduce the influence of Malami. It's a welcome idea
You think the fellow who will replace him will be an angel!
Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by chloride6: 11:25am On Feb 06, 2022
Nice...

The AGF is a lawyer with powers of prosecution.

Let the minister steward development and progress of the administration of justice
Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by Peace1993: 11:37am On Feb 06, 2022
tommy589:
Good direction

Independent candidate and total autonomy for local government is the solution to grassroot development and less corruption.They should also tinker with Local government electoral laws,elections should be organized by stake holders in the constituency and not by the states
Well said but I don’t see how the Local govt. autonomy would bring about ‘less corruption’. Only strict law could bring about less corruption or even its eradication
Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by Reference(m): 11:41am On Feb 06, 2022
If the AGF is appointed by the President it still amounts to the same thing.
What we need in Nigeria above all things for starters is the proper separation of powers.
And the only thing that can guarantee that is an intellectual electorate.
We are here today in the mire because referees are players and players are referees.
Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by TheABOMINATION: 11:44am On Feb 06, 2022
Very good. Strip Malami of his power, and ensure that another Malami does not appear after Buhari's administration.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by TheABOMINATION: 11:51am On Feb 06, 2022
Brendaniel:
better for the ministry of justice but what kind of law is this : For more representation in elective offices, special seat concessions were recommended for allocation to women at all levels.

to me this is not a good thing to reserve seats without contesting just because you are a woman, I was in primary and secondary school and almost throughout my stay in a mixed school, girls were our class captain not because they were girls but they worked for it(they topped the class most times), I don't know where this idea of giving someone something just because they are females...

It's because since the number of seats available is plenty, there is nothing wrong with marking out one or two for women to compete with each other for.
Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by Deepthoughts: 11:52am On Feb 06, 2022
BeeBeeOoh:
Independent candidates can now contest without primaries To reserve certain number of elective positions for women Parade of suspects by police, DSS, EFCC. NDLEA, NSCDC and other agencies outlawed

https://thenationonlineng.net/constitution-amendment-nass-splits-minister-of-justice-from-agf/
I think we also should have a unicameral national assembly to reduce cost n quickens legislative functions,I will suggest it should be called 'THE NATIONAL CONGRESS"n the members should be called "CONGRESSOR",the present senatorial zones should be split into three so that each state shall have 9 congressors,at the state level the state assembly should have three members representing each local government area,at the local government level,each local government area should have twenty wards each represented by a councilor.all elective position should be for a single term of five years,the minimum academic qualifications for elective office should be ND/NCE or their legal equivalent for councilor,HND/FIRST DEGREE for the rest positions n their deputies as the case may be,as for age,it should be 25 for councilor n 30 for the rest,for each position or deputy one must have established n manage a registered business employing a minimum of 5 persons 3years prior to contesting or must have acquired relevant work experience in the past 10year prior to contesting.rotational representation should be made constitutional for all elective positions,i think this would do the country a lot of good in future.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by Blackdisciple(m): 12:06pm On Feb 06, 2022
sapientia:
Stop spoiling our mood by putting the picture of this rubber stamp

Kikikikikikikikiki
Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by Reference(m): 12:07pm On Feb 06, 2022
Peace1993:

Well said but I don’t see how the Local govt. autonomy would bring about ‘less corruption’. Only strict law could bring about less corruption or even its eradication

It won't bring about less corruption.
There is no 'less' corruption anywhere in the world.
What power fulcrum closer to the people does is to 'contain impunity'.
Impunity is the fuel of corruption. The simple in ability of the people to hold their elected officials to account.
The further away these elected officials are the harder it is to hold them accountable.

That is why in 'sane' societies people regard their Legislators well ahead their Governors and Presidents.
Because they are accessible and open to account. No Legislator anywhere in the world is immune from prosecution.
So they are the fulcrum by which Governors and Presidents are held to account..... by this simple relationship:

The people can charge their representatives and their representatives can charge their leaders. That is how corruption is tackled by the instrument of democracy.
Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by Brendaniel: 12:13pm On Feb 06, 2022
TheABOMINATION:

It's because since the number of seats available is plenty, there is nothing wrong with marking out one or two for women to compete with each other for.

I don't like it, they reserve seats for them to compete with each other then still compete with men on the general platform, that's like eating your cake and having it, that's why I don't take feminist seriously...

1 Like

Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by vikithor(m): 12:16pm On Feb 06, 2022
GardenOfGod:
Rubber stamp assembly
NASS aka RSASS aka Rubber Stamp Assembly.
See folly,parading a suspect,later courts discharged and acquitted.Common sense can't tell these mumu agancies they were putting the carts before the horses?
Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by Okoroawusa: 12:18pm On Feb 06, 2022
Damidave1124:
At least, it will reduce the influence of Malami. It's a welcome idea
Malami might not even be in office when it becomes law. Leave the man alone
Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by Nobody: 12:20pm On Feb 06, 2022
Southernigbo:
yeah lawan is pro buhari like all the good ppl of naija
Hopefully, this is sarcasm.
If not, then speak for yourself.
Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by Nobody: 12:33pm On Feb 06, 2022
These people are jokers.
Let them scrap the constitution and allow a national conference to write a new one to be approve and passed into law by a referendum.

Even just adopting Sani Abacha's 1995 draft constitution is 100 times better than our current criminal constitution introduced by Thief Obasanjo.

How can the Nass that are a main beneficiary of our current criminal constitution, be trusted to amend the constitution ?

I would like first to have a constitution that rotates the presidency among 3 major ethnic groups and a 4th slot for other ethnic groups (rotating also).

With 4 vice presidents from the 4 slots given to ethnic groups for the presidency.

Law makers like civil servants on similar scales depending on length of service. Lawmakers to lose the right to amend , add to or remove items in budgets.

Government ministers to be paid on similar scale as supreme court judges.

The cost of purchasing form to run for any political office should not exceed N200,000.

Governors and the presidency should not have any immunity from prosecution although there should be some gatekeeping put in place to protect them from malicious or frivolous unwarranted cases that may interfere with their ability to govern.
Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by openmine(m): 12:37pm On Feb 06, 2022
The amendment of the law parading suspects before the general public is very timely!
Some individuals reputation have nosedived as a result of being wrongly accused & paraded as criminals before the public!
Policemen once paraded suspected armed robbers before the public and a particular guy kept insisting that he was picked up by the police & tagged a criminal!
They should be paraded once they are proven guilty by a court!

1 Like

Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by tommy589(m): 12:43pm On Feb 06, 2022
Peace1993:

What of the laws we have to curb corruption, is it not selective? Corruption won't go easily except we have strong institutions.
An LG chairman is reachable unlike a state governor. We have more active apolitical social crusaders in the grassroots that can mobilise and ensure Councilors and chairmen give account of their stewardship. Certain conditions of residency must be met before you seek an elective post. Corruption will reduce,imagine a reviewed LG electoral laws that is strictly an election organized by stakeholders for stakeholders in their LG.
Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by Nobody: 12:45pm On Feb 06, 2022
They need to make provision for Nigeria to split up, this unholy union is not working
Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by oluwaahmed: 12:59pm On Feb 06, 2022
The useless NASS instead of reducing spending by the govt are creating more agencies thereby increasing overhead cost and recurrent expenditure. Why not incorporate the ministry of justice with the CJN as its done in the UK.
Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by Mozkunzult22: 1:00pm On Feb 06, 2022
Good reviews.

Only the special seat thing for women...

I just hope it won't seat for another four years before it's passed into law.

Imagine security forces parading asuspect without a conviction of the crime then collect bail and set them free.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by abokimallam: 1:21pm On Feb 06, 2022
Any amendments that does not include state police and fiscal derivation as negotiated by our founding fathers, ie Nnamdi Azikiwe, Sir Ahmadu Bello and Chief Obafemi Awolowo in 1960 constitution, is a waste of time by NASS people, a rubber stamp only interested in collection of sitting allowance.
Of course we know that Buhari will not sign because those things good for the country to move forward, he hates.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by mkoabiola: 1:29pm On Feb 06, 2022
sapientia:
Stop spoiling our mood by putting the picture of this rubber stamp
Very dumb and after rubber stamp.
I go jus de vex whenver I see ds rubber stamp stooge
D guy jus render Nass redundant and toothless

So sad
Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by frog12: 1:41pm On Feb 06, 2022
wetin be dis? breaking AGF office is good but to stop parading suspects like chidinnma supertv killer is bad. its part of our society. these lawmakers are always drunk
Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by Sholaco: 2:13pm On Feb 06, 2022
What of finance and budget
Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by dfrost: 2:23pm On Feb 06, 2022
Khaleepha5681:

Lawan is not Rubber Stamp.

He is just not Anti-Buhari like me and you.

When I see comments like this, it gives me joy.

It simply means that I mustn't dislike what you dislike to prove a point.

Unity in disagreement wink
Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by azikiweironsi(m): 2:31pm On Feb 06, 2022
Nice move
1. Independent candidate is the way forward. People like PYO, Ambode etc.... can decide to go independently without any nonsense godfathe.
2. Separation of Attorney General from Minister of Justice is a good way to go.
3. They should also consider the removal of immunity from the office of the Governor and his deputy.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Amendment: NASS Splits Minister Of Justice From AGF by clockwisereport: 2:33pm On Feb 06, 2022
Brendaniel:

to me this is not a good thing to reserve seats without contesting just because you are a woman, I was in primary and secondary school and almost throughout my stay in a mixed school, girls were our class captain not because they were girls but they worked for it(they topped the class most times), I don't know where this idea of giving someone something just because they are females...

You never hear say the futureisfemale?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Umahi: Wike Now Idi Amin Of PDP – Ohanaeze / Akwa Ibom Assembly Reconvenes, Suspend 11 Members / CUPP Dares INEC, Asks Opposition Parties To Resume Campaign For Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.