Stats: 3,153,138 members, 7,818,430 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? (1504 Views)

Reno Abandoned His Wife To Chase After An Ethiopian Babe - David Hundeyin / 21 Lawmakers In Akwa Ibom Chase The Other 5 Out, Start Their Plenary / Sanwo-olu Meets CAN Chairman, Promises To Lift The Poor Out Of Poverty (2) (3) (4)

Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by bigpriik: 3:29pm On Feb 06, 2022
Seriously this house rent hike issue is becoming something else in Lagos if you are from another state trying to come to Lagos State abeg you in the name of God stay back,to leave in a comfortable apartment in Lagos for a start you must have at least half a million to even rent a single room you must have at at least 200-250k everything just dey add yet no jobs,infact infact in ten years time people will be leaving Lagos and flooding ogun and oyo not because they don't like their home States but because south west is the biggest economy in the Nigeria this government no care about humanity very soon banditry go start for south not really by northern terrorists but by southerners themselves youths are getting more and more frustrated and hopeless by the day since money ritual is now becoming useless and scam people will learn from bandits what am i even saying? It has started already.

Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by helinues: 3:39pm On Feb 06, 2022
No be by force to reside in Lagos

I guess na Lagos government dey increase the rent

Eish

Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by Skooltynz: 3:42pm On Feb 06, 2022
helinues:

Mr helinues if you are not living in at least a two bedroom flat and earning above 50k a month with the way you are supporting this evil government then you are a disgrace to your parents.

Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by helinues: 3:43pm On Feb 06, 2022
Skooltynz:

Mr helinues if you are not living in at least a two bedroom flat and earning above 50k a month with the way you are supporting this evil government then you are a disgrace to your parents.

When 1004 apt na second home whenever in town..

Make una dey stop using una condition to judge others

Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by JohnSin97: 3:43pm On Feb 06, 2022
Last time I checked Igbos said they own 70% of houses in Lagos........Op the problem must be with your greedy kinsmen increasing rent. Why should a flatin0 landlord be complaining about rent

Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by bigpriik: 3:44pm On Feb 06, 2022
WesternOligarch:
Flatin0 ipob.....If you can't pay the rent, fvck off back to your eastern wasteland. The time you spend on nairaland would have been used to earn you money for rent.

How has this got to do with ipob? Like seriously some of you are actually going insane unknowingly.
What makes you think I am not a working,no you dey put food for my table?I am just concerned about humanity.

Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by Biodun556(m): 3:45pm On Feb 06, 2022
WesternOligarch:
Flatin0 ipob.....If you can't pay the rent, fvck off back to your eastern wasteland. The time you spend on nairaland would have been used to earn you money for rent.

He failed to realize that landlord increases house rent because many people are willing to pay for it. That some people can not afford it doesn't mean it is general.

Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by helinues: 3:46pm On Feb 06, 2022
bigpriik:

How has this got to do with ipob? Like seriously some of you are actually going insane unknowingly.

It got a lot to do. Na Igbos dey always wail unnecessarily on things that they are not the only one affect ed. How much is a 2bdr flat per month in Kenya, SA?

Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by yuping(m): 3:47pm On Feb 06, 2022
Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by EmirGold(m): 3:47pm On Feb 06, 2022
Go to your barren land, no be by force to live in lagos

Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by bigpriik: 3:49pm On Feb 06, 2022
EmirGold:

So you mean yorubas and others tribes are not affected you don loose your mind chaiiii?

Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by bigpriik: 3:53pm On Feb 06, 2022
helinues:

It got a lot to do. Na Igbos dey always wail unnecessarily on things that they are not the only one affect ed. How much is a 2bdr flat per month in Kenya, SA?

Did you just mention southy? shocked

Helinues you dey fall hand aswear.
Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by EmirGold(m): 3:54pm On Feb 06, 2022
bigpriik:

So you mean yorubas and others tribes are not affected you don loose your mind chaiiii?
you know say no be only you, so why are you wailing on nairaland

Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by Lamasta(m): 3:59pm On Feb 06, 2022
Lagos is getting more expensive by the day

Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by cherishmichael: 3:59pm On Feb 06, 2022
My brother i say ehh! not even Lagos in particular, the world itself is now like it's meant for the rich, if your poor or not well to do your a nobody in this world.

Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by helinues: 3:59pm On Feb 06, 2022
bigpriik:

Did you just mention southy? shocked

Helinues you dey fall hand aswear.

Yes I did. Are there more job opportunities in those countries compared to Nigeria that house rent in their capital city is expensive than Lagos?
Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by cherishmichael: 4:03pm On Feb 06, 2022
My brother i say ehh! not even Lagos in particular, the world itself is now like it's meant for the rich, if your poor or not well to do your a nobody in this world. embarassed

Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by bigpriik: 4:05pm On Feb 06, 2022
cherishmichael:
My brother i say ehh! not even Lagos in particular, the world itself is now like it's meant for the rich, if your poor or not well to do your a nobody in this world. embarassed

Naija own worst my guy
It's becoming a rat race already,my elder brother dey even tell me to do yahoo like my mates when i ask am for 100k... embarassed
Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by omoharry(f): 4:12pm On Feb 06, 2022
Skooltynz:

Above 50k or 150k? N50 no be money again oo!

Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by omoharry(f): 4:17pm On Feb 06, 2022
EmirGold:
You that is talking . Are you an indigene of Lagos state ? When I mean indigene.. I am referring to the the land of Ur great great great grand father .
.All of Una don forget una various villages and be claiming Lagos up and down .
Why don't you go back to your state that has nothing to offer you . Lagos na Ur papa land . Yeye

Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by EmirGold(m): 4:25pm On Feb 06, 2022
omoharry:
You that is talking . Are you an indigene of Lagos state ? When I mean indigene.. I am referring to the the land of Ur great great great grand father .
Why don't you go back to your state that has nothing to offer you . Lagos na Ur papa land . Yeye
as a proud yoruba man, i can go to anywhere in yorubaland and nobody will ever stop me.

Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Feb 06, 2022
@OP.

Some of your points are valid - especially that of Lagos becoming too expensive for the poor to live in.

Yet, Lagos does not control what landlords charge for rent. Nigerians today are very exploitative, uncaring, greedy and self-serving people.

I remember during #EndSARS curfew in Lekki and those who had stored petrol were charging 1.5k naira per litre of petrol when pump price was like 143 naira per litre then!!!

That is the kind of exploitative wickedness Nigerians practice against each other.

Lagos is becoming very expensive because accomodation, goods and services providers realize that they can cash in on the desperation of those who flood into Lagos looking for a new life.

It is always supply and demand so try to be reasonable and truthful in the way you apportion blame.

Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by bigpriik: 4:33pm On Feb 06, 2022
Dsalvo:
@OP.

Some of your points are valid - especially that of Lagos becoming too expensive for the poor to live in.

Yet, Lagos does not control what landlords charge for rent. Nigerians today are very exploitative, uncaring, greedy and self-serving people.

I remember during #EndSARS curfew in Lekki and those who had stored petrol were charging 1.5k naira per litre of petrol when pump price was like 143 naira per litre then!!!

That is the kind of exploitative wickedness Nigerians practice against each other.

Lagos is becoming very expensive because accomodation, goods and services providers realize that they can cash in on the desperation of those who flood into Lagos looking for a new life.

It is always supply and demand so try to be reasonable and truthful in the way you apportion blame.

But why is the government not doing anything about it? What do you expect the common man to do?
Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by Nisiw365: 4:54pm On Feb 06, 2022
omoharry:
Yorubas are one. All are entitled to all states in sw

Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Feb 06, 2022
bigpriik:

But why is the government not doing anything about it? What do you expect the common man to do?

Bro, Lagis Government can try rent regulations provisions, as it tried to enforce in the past, but landlord and tenants would never comply. It wont work today if it failed in the oast bevause Nigerians are worse himan beings today than Nigerians a few decades ago.

Indiscipline, greed, lawlessness plus me-myself-and-I unfairness resides in almost all Nigerians as second nature today.

Rent today are a reflection of what tenants keep paying greedy landlords and businessmen without protestation.

Lagos is really trying and Sanwo-Olu is investing ₦5 Billion to usher in the monthly rent scheme to make things easier for the poor as you wish but I bet you any money it won't work.

Perhaps then you will gradually join those of us who have come to realise the government is not always automatically the problem.

Bro, when government is humane and your wicked fellow Nigerian refuses to tow same. Path nko?

The article below should be educative as it talks about the new monthly rent scheme of Lagos and why rent control/regulation failed in the past.

https://guardian.ng/opinion/rent-control-not-answer-to-lagos-housing-crisis/

Rent control not answer to Lagos housing crisis
By Femi Oyedele
13 December 2021 | 3:33 am

I read in the news that “Lagos State government has set aside the sum of N5 billion to kickstart her “one-month-in-advance rent scheme”.

This, according to authority is government gesture to assuage the hardship of Lagos residents in paying their rents.

There is a Latin maxim that says: “nemo dat quod, non habet”, meaning “you cannot transfer a proprietary right in properties that does not belong to you”. We always get policy formulation wrong when we fail to consult the appropriate professionals and other stakeholders in important issues.

Rent control refers to regulations and set of rules, which restricts the amount of rent that landlords or property owners can demand from tenants. There was rent control in Lagos through the Recovery of Premises Law CAP 118 Laws of Lagos State 1973. The most prominent aspect of this law is the rent control section which attempted to categorise Lagos State into “bands” for rental value purpose, neglecting the forces of demand and supply. There where categories A, B, C, D, E, F, etc depicting types of houses and the amount of rents the landlords in these areas can collect.

The rent control did not work because it came at a time that property business was booming in Lagos due to increase in business activities in Lagos State and the influx of income from petroleum products sale.

Affecting the supply side ought to have been a probable solution and not capping the price! Instead of reducing or at least, fix the rent in the affected areas, the edict only succeeded in escalating rents of the houses as more people from different part of Nigeria realised there were opportunities to make money in Lagos State.

The rent of different areas kept skyrocketing with increase in demand for housing.

Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by Invictuse: 4:55pm On Feb 06, 2022
No one cares if you work in hell or in hellfire.
Sebi your father claim igbos owns all the houses in Lagos so the rent goes to Igbo pocket. Any one not able to pay the bills should relocate.

bigpriik:

What makes you think I am not a working,no you dey put food for my table?I am just concerned about humanity.

Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Feb 06, 2022
helinues:

I guess na Lagos government dey increase the rent

Eish
The politicians will campaign to make life comfortable for the people.But when they are selected they will become draconian towards the electorates.
Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Feb 06, 2022
EmirGold:
It is only a miscreant like tinubu will be making this kind of scandalous statement.
Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Feb 06, 2022
Revolution2022:
The politicians will campaign to make life comfortable for the people.But when they are selected they will become draconian towards the electorates.

If you are one of those who blame leaders and politicians for everything then your 'education' has not begun at all per the reality of Nigeria and how we are all responsible for where we are today.
Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Feb 06, 2022
Revolution2022:
It is only a miscreant like tinubu will be making this kind of scandalous statement.

Keep seeing Tinubu everywhere. Sanwo-Olu trying to make Lagos work, for all those who live there, is not a protege of Tinubu ba?

This is what I was telling OP. Nothing works because of wicked, bitter, greedy, insultive, unfair and unprincipled people like you.

No guessing the type of landlord, business owner or boss an uncouth and unrefined lout like you would be. You'd probably strip all your tenant naked and kick them out with MOPOL and koboko.

Re: Is Lagos Government Trying To Chase The Poor Out Of Lagos? by talk2hb1(m): 5:20pm On Feb 06, 2022
bigpriik:
Seriously this house rent hike issue is becoming something else in Lagos if you are from another state trying to come to Lagos State abeg you in the name of God stay back,to leave in a comfortable apartment in Lagos for a start you must have at least half a million to even rent a single room you must have at at least 200-250k everything just dey add yet no jobs,infact infact in ten years time people will be leaving Lagos and flooding ogun and oyo not because they don't like their home States but because south west is the biggest economy in the Nigeria this government no care about humanity very soon banditry go start for south not really by northern terrorists but by southerners themselves youths are getting more and more frustrated and hopeless by the day since money ritual is now becoming useless and scam people will learn from bandits what am i even saying? It has started already.
It's not Government, it's the implications of the state massive growth.
Government can't dictate rent for landlords nor tell the motor drivers how much to pick passengers.

King Of Port Harcourt Petitions Daura Over Misrepresentation Of Ikwerre Culture / Buhari Successor Has Igbo Name / Reno Omokri Now Obident

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65