Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,687 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:57 PM

An Encounter With A Job Applicant - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / An Encounter With A Job Applicant (11193 Views)

My Encounter With My Ex-girlfriend - Company Owner Shares Story / HR Insults A Job Applicant Because He Said She Smelt Nice / Job Applicant Come In (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by kunle75(m): 12:45pm On Feb 07, 2022
OlujobaSamuel:
I run a POS business, so put up a vacancy to fill a vacant post.
On Tuesday, this lady called seeking to apply for the job, I told her I will get back to her on when to come. Friday afternoon, I gave her a call and asked if she was available on Saturday by 12noon, she said yes, so we had an appointment.
11:30am, she called to confirm the appointment, which I affirmed. Few minutes to 12noon, she called that she is in front of my shop, where am I?
Which of my shops? I asked.
Your shop here.
Kindly describe the shop you are. A kiosk by a container, she answered.
Ok, ask the lady there to tell you where you can find me(my location is close by)
I can't find any lady, she responded, then hissed.
Just ask anyone you can find there then. (Call dropped)
(5mins later) She showed up, calling my number to confirm it's me.
She came with a younger sibling, I gave the boy a stool to sit outside, while I told her to come in to sit.
Good afternoon, I said.
Afternoon (barely audible), she responded.
What is your name? Bree
Sound weird to me(never heard of it)
Spell it. Showed me a Tattoo with the inscription BREE
I pretended not seeing it, she said BREE.
Still surprised, so I asked, where are you from. She was like, why ask, then answered; Anambra.
Where do you live? She mentioned the street, but I'm not familiar with such street. What landmark is close by to your house? She seems not to know what I meant by landmark, so I rephrase, what popular place or house or individual is closed by? She said she doesn't know anywhere that she is new.
How new? She couldn't answer.
Who are you living with? Parents, Uncle, Aunt or who? (Why ask countenance), then she said Mum.
I noticed a wedding ring, so I asked, are you married? Yes, she answered. Where is your husband? Why are you asking, she queried? I need to know, I answered. He is in the East, she responded.
If your husband is in the East, how do you intend to cope working as a POS attendant, do you go visiting or he comes down? How is that your business? ( I shock)
I wasn't so perturbed, so I asked, do you know the nature of the job? You tell me the nature of the job and I will know if I can do it or not.
I can only tell you the job description/specification, you should know the nature of any job you are seeking for.
I'm sorry, I can't take you. Kindly take your leave.
NB: all the period I was chatting with her, she was chatting with her bro sitting outside intermittently about a movie. With so many side comments (her dialect) in respect to our discussion.
Is it wrong of me to have judged her base on her attitude and gestures, or such should have been given an opportunity on the job first?

You just dodge a calamity .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by tranxo(m): 12:45pm On Feb 07, 2022
merit455:
Why asking her personal questions
When you acquire the mindset of an employer, you will understand.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by OlujobaSamuel: 12:46pm On Feb 07, 2022
sammirano:
Igbos... their guys chestbeat and girls are rude
I don't think so (it's just her having poor manners).
One of the girls I fired(not ready to switch when i asked her to) isn't rude and she is Igbo. We still talk sef as she is learning catering with a neighbor.
A current attendant(married with kids) is also Igbo and she is not rude.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by jansonn(m): 12:52pm On Feb 07, 2022
Oga, aswear!! You get patience!! I won't even wait this long before I pursue her from my sight

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by Austinbiggy(m): 12:54pm On Feb 07, 2022
you are smart

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by adisabarber(m): 1:03pm On Feb 07, 2022
merit455:

POS business means she will be handling raw cash. He has the right to even ask if she smokes weed.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by OlujobaSamuel: 1:06pm On Feb 07, 2022
jansonn:
Oga, aswear!! You get patience!! I won't even wait this long before I pursue her from my sight
I was trying to give her an opportunity to re-present her response.
When she said "it's not your business", I asked again, and she replied with "how does that affects her work with me?"
I told my bro that read HR as a discipline, he said I should have just told her I would get back to her, I was like, for where? Me let her know sey I can't take her, she should take her leave ni

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by henrimoto(m): 1:06pm On Feb 07, 2022
Op. See how she was answering you like it's a dating appointment. She is not ready and fit to work under an establishment. She should go back home to continue watching movies.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by Obivestor: 1:11pm On Feb 07, 2022
OlujobaSamuel:
On Tuesday, this lady called seeking to apply for the job, I told her I will get back to her on when to come. Friday afternoon, I gave her a call and asked if she was available on Saturday by 12noon, she said yes, so we had an appointment.
11:30am, she called to confirm the appointment, which I affirmed. Few minutes to 12noon, she called that she is in front of my shop, where am I?
Your shop here.
Ok, ask the lady there to tell you where you can find me(my location is close by)
She came with a younger sibling, I gave the boy a stool to sit outside, while I told her to come in to sit.
Good afternoon, I said.
What is your name? Bree
Still surprised, so I asked, where are you from. She was like, why ask, then answered; Anambra.
Where do you live? She mentioned the street, but I'm not familiar with such street. What landmark is close by to your house? She seems not to know what I meant by landmark, so I rephrase, what popular place or house or individual is closed by? She said she doesn't know anywhere that she is new.
Who are you living with? Parents, Uncle, Aunt or who? (Why ask countenance), then she said Mum.
I noticed a wedding ring, so I asked, are you married? Yes, she answered. Where is your husband? Why are you asking, she queried? I need to know, I answered. He is in the East, she responded.
If your husband is in the East, how do you intend to cope working as a POS attendant, do you go visiting or he comes down? How is that your business? ( I shock)
I wasn't so perturbed, so I asked, do you know the nature of the job? You tell me the nature of the job and I will know if I can do it or not.
I can only tell you the job description/specification, you should know the nature of any job you are seeking for.
NB: all the period I was chatting with her, she was chatting with her bro sitting outside intermittently about a movie. With so many side comments (her dialect) in respect to our discussion.
Is it wrong of me to have judged her base on her attitude and gestures, or such should have been given an opportunity on the job first?
you are too soft hearted and permit to say you are a fool

The moment I heard her hiss , nothing in this life will make me pick her call again.

I just hate weak hearted men like you, damn wish I was the person the girl met

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by chukwuibuipob: 1:12pm On Feb 07, 2022
angry Why reply that one that ask Useless question,? Is it until she watch u well and RUNAWAY with Ur money b4 u ask her question? Such a nut will even blame u for not doing Ur homework b4 u employ her. .God bless u for using Ur 6 sense not 5
OlujobaSamuel:

I asked personal questions that I felt are relevant to her ability to perform her tasks while working for me.
I want to believe you are referring to the marriage part of the discussion.
I noticed that she was relatively very young(17-20), putting on a wedding ring and not in her husband's house (according to her, i asked where she was staying before the marriage part came in).
So if she is having her wedding ring on, it means she is still with him, then how will she cope coming to work Monday to Saturday every week without calling me one morning that she is traveling or not available.
I don't have issues with her being married, only one of the attendants working for me is single, others are married with some having kids.
U are even gentle with her.
Olujobasamuel,DNT employ THIEF in disguise.Such a girl can even arrange pipu to com and Rob u

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by portplus: 1:15pm On Feb 07, 2022
I don't understand o.

What are personal questions OP asked.

For a business/role that involves cash transactions and some level of trust, those questions are not out of place.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by FirstbornWds: 1:24pm On Feb 07, 2022
merit455:
Why ask her personal questions

The questions were completely relevant... The only thing here is the concept with which they both started with and the lady's response

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by omoadeleye(m): 1:26pm On Feb 07, 2022
OlujobaSamuel:
Your shop here.
Good afternoon, I said.
What is your name? Bree

Employ her and later watch how she skedaddle with your money

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by victooman: 1:27pm On Feb 07, 2022
OlujobaSamuel:

I asked personal questions that I felt are relevant to her ability to perform her tasks while working for me.
I want to believe you are referring to the marriage part of the discussion.
I noticed that she was relatively very young(17-20), putting on a wedding ring and not in her husband's house (according to her, i asked where she was staying before the marriage part came in).
So if she is having her wedding ring on, it means she is still with him, then how will she cope coming to work Monday to Saturday every week without calling me one morning that she is traveling or not available.
I don't have issues with her being married, only one of the attendants working for me is single, others are married with some having kids.
you guys pays peanut that is why her attitude is like that,she feels she is doing you a favor by accepting the job, and you know how difficult it is now becoming for pos owner and Private schools to get staff now? most of the time the pay is not above 15k_20k most people are not eager to take that kind of jobs,, call her for a government job or any job that will pay her high and u will see another attitude from her

1 Like

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by OlujobaSamuel: 1:32pm On Feb 07, 2022
Obivestor:
you are too soft hearted and permit to say you are a fool

The moment I heard her hiss , nothing in this life will make me pick her call again.

I just hate weak hearted men like you, damn wish I was the person the girl met
Lol, I do try to treat my workers as customer, so I see a potential employee as a customer too.
You will rarely see me have an exchange with a customer or employee.
She might claim her hissing was to something else and a mere coincidence since I've never met her before.
Anyway, thanks for the compliment

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by OlujobaSamuel: 1:38pm On Feb 07, 2022
henrimoto:
Op. See how she was answering you like it's a dating appointment. She is not ready and fit to work under an establishment. She should go back home to continue watching movies.
Lol, you might be right. I honestly have the same line of thought after she left.
Probably expected one old man or woman, but met a young guy in his 30s that is even having a face of 20-24.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by membranus: 1:40pm On Feb 07, 2022
adisabarber:

POS business means she will be handling raw cash. He has the right to even ask if she smokes weed.

Hahaha, so she won't take POS money go smoke weeds, and turn boss for the boss.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by KOPArespect: 1:41pm On Feb 07, 2022
I called a candidate and asked if i am talking to Miss XYZ, she said 'yeeees' in a funny manner
i proceeded and told her you dropped your CV at XYZ for XYZ position and she said 'hunhun'(like i should continue undecided)

I played along and ask her to come for the interview, when she came, she greeted good morning and i responded.
tell me about yourself, then she started

interviewee: My name is xyz
Me: hunhun
I am a native of XYZ
Me hunhun
I am 26 years old
Me: hunhun.... throughout the interview, it was a case of hunhun-hunhun

I called her back 3 days later
Me: hello good morning
she: hello, good morning sir
Me: you applied for XYZ position at Xyz company
She: yes sir, thank you for getting back to me...

to cut the long story short, she was eventually engaged for the position and i made her realize her shortcomings

2 Likes

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by mfm04622: 1:42pm On Feb 07, 2022
merit455:

So the information you fill on your CV are not personal? Have you ever attended any job interview? I guess not!
When you get to an interview, just don't answer questions you think are personal!

2 Likes

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by AKWATGOLD1(m): 1:45pm On Feb 07, 2022
Mr Samuel, let your life be full of Praises to the Lord Jehovah. I salute your instinct to have asked her question because you want to commit your fund into her case while you pursue all income that will put food on your table.
OlujobaSamuel:
Your shop here.
Good afternoon, I said.
What is your name? Bree
Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by Nobody: 1:49pm On Feb 07, 2022
LOL, SEEM YOU ARE YOUNGER IN FACE.

THANK YOUR STAR SHA, COS U WOULD REGRET IF U EMPLOY HER
Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by bakesntakes(m): 2:09pm On Feb 07, 2022
You tired of spending so much money on airtime and data?

Earn free airtime and data by taking surveys.

No payment needed for registration

Follow link in signature and sign up now
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)
Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by Mystery9(m): 2:19pm On Feb 07, 2022
yuping:
undecided both of you are wrong, but you just dodge a bullet shaa ooo cus you are the boss.
How is he wrong sad shocked shocked shocked
Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by jubrilELsudan: 2:48pm On Feb 07, 2022
YOU ARE VERY STUPID.

WHY DIDN'T YOU ASK HER IF SHE IS A VIRGIN AND WHEN LAST DID SHE FVCK.

YOU NIGERIANS ARE JUST STUPID IN YOUR MENTALITY OF THINKING.

YOU ASKING HER PRIVATE AND PERSONAL QUESTIONS UNRELATED WITH THE JOB.

THUNDER FIRE YOU WITH YOUR STUPID JOB.

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by FaithBrain1994(m): 2:52pm On Feb 07, 2022
All these questions ontop how much stipend again?
Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by Goldentulip2: 4:41pm On Feb 07, 2022
merit455:
Smh please u did well bro, you just got saved from damage to your business
Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by yemi1504: 5:28pm On Feb 07, 2022
OlujobaSamuel:
Your shop here.
Good afternoon, I said.
What is your name? Bree

Bree? Are you sure she is Nigerian? grin. Very very unserious interviewee! You did well, Biko!

1 Like

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by yemi1504: 5:31pm On Feb 07, 2022
Ballack1:
She's not ready

As in, not ready at all! The how is it your business snide remark got me! These women nowadays with being rude, don't even know where their rudeness stops SMH.

1 Like

Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by eddynaira125: 5:33pm On Feb 07, 2022
merit455:

Oga your personal details no dey your CV?
Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by yemi1504: 5:34pm On Feb 07, 2022
soundOsonic:
Asking one about their address, marital status, guardian isn't personal question.

These are simple questions they ask in schools, jobs, even registration of online stuff.

The OP is not wrong at all.

Abi and the questions were relevant to the job! Op is in the clear on this one!
Re: An Encounter With A Job Applicant by yemi1504: 5:36pm On Feb 07, 2022
kunle75:

You just dodge a calamity .

And a disaster and carnage to boot! He should be doing Thanksgiving in church on this one as e dodge am grin. Bree ko, Briana ni.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Career Opportunity With AIICO Insurance Plc / SD Human Resources Limited Fresh Graduate & Exp. Job Recruitment (5 Positions) / United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) Job Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.