Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,732 members, 7,817,014 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday (2442 Views)

Strike: Federal Government, ASUU Meets Today / ASUU STRIKE: ASUU Meets Today, May Extend Strike / [BREAKING]: ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday by Kuginzi: 8:12am On Feb 12, 2022
ASUU will make the final decision on the strike – to be reached by voting – known at the end of the meeting on Sunday, Saturday PUNCH has learnt.

The union had expressed grievances over the failure of the Federal Government to fulfill some of the agreements it made as far back as 2009. ASUU had on November 15, 2021 given the Federal Government a three-week ultimatum over the failure to meet the demands.

The lecturers threatened to embark on another round of industrial action following the alleged “government’s unfaithfulness” in the implementation of the Memorandum of Action it signed with the union, leading to the suspension of the 2020 strike action.

After the union’s National Executive Council meeting at the University of Abuja on November 13 and 14, ASUU President, Prof. Emmanuel Osodeke, lamented that despite meeting with the Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige, on October 14, 2021, on issues, including funding for revitalisation of public universities, earned academic allowances, University Transparency Accountability Solution, promotion arrears, renegotiation of 2009 ASUU-FGN agreement, and the inconsistencies in Integrated Payroll and Personnel information system payment, none of its demands had been met.

Following the threat, the Minister of State for Education, Emeka Nwajiuba, promised that the union would be paid.

A few weeks after, ASUU suspended the planned strike as N22.1bn earned allowances was paid to lecturers in federal universities.

On the heels of the union’s renewed agitations, the co-chairmen of the National Inter-religious Council, the Sultan of Sokoto, Muhammad Abubakar III, and the President of the Christian Association of Nigeria, Dr Samson Ayokunle, visited the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), last month over the lack of implementation of the Memorandum of Understanding the government signed with ASUU in 2009 and others.

At the meeting, Buhari said the government remained committed to fulfilling the promises made to ASUU. The President also stated that he had mandated Ngige, the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, and his (Buhari’s) Chief of Staff, Prof. Ibrahim Gambari, to look into the demands of the union.

But Osodeke in an interview with one of our correspondents insisted that the Federal Government could not be trusted despite the promise of the President.

The union consequently declared Monday, February 9, 2022 as a lecture-free day to mobilise its members ahead of what it described as the longest strike in history.

Several chapters of the union embraced the directive and had held several congresses where they told the public to hold the government responsible if the union decides to embark on strike.

A final decision on the looming strike will be reached this weekend as ASUU NEC meets from February 12 (today) and February 13, at UNILAG.

Another NEC told Saturday PUNCH that the decision on strike would be put to voting and all the members present would vote either for or against it.

Re: ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday by Nobody: 8:20am On Feb 12, 2022
wahala for Nigerian students. but the parties wasting their time
Re: ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday by opera1(m): 8:21am On Feb 12, 2022
Anything ASUU always comes with bad news [strike].
Re: ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday by Theboy21: 8:50am On Feb 12, 2022
Too bad, just when a nigga is counting days to start his final exams and then this.....

1 Like

Re: ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday by Olaoluwa112(m): 9:02am On Feb 12, 2022
Well looking at the situation, I'm in support of the strike, I mean if the likes of Dino milaye can afford those might cars and houses after being in the house for just 8 years then a lecturer should be a least afford quarter of what Dino could after 30 years in service.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday by ManOfCompetence(m): 9:50am On Feb 12, 2022
Some students need this strike actually.....
It will help them acquire a skill..... but on the other hand the strike will be fustrating for many especially final year students.....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday by sinkhole: 10:54am On Feb 12, 2022
It is unfortunate that FG will allow this strike to happen, and when it happens, it will be a total disaster, because government is doing absolutely nothing to address the issues that ASUU is putting forward! The only response from government has been the Buhari pleading with ASUU not to go on strike and Ngige accusing ASUU of blackmailing the government.
From my own estimate, I think this strike will last for at least two months, i.e., till the end of April, 2022!

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday by Udoboss(m): 11:15am On Feb 12, 2022
sinkhole:
It is unfortunate that FG will allow this strike to happen, and when it happens, it will be a total disaster, because government is doing absolutely nothing to address the issues that ASUU is putting forward! The only response from government has been the Buhari pleading with ASUU not to go on strike and Ngige accusing ASUU of blackmailing the government.
From my own estimate, I think this strike will last for at least two months, i.e., till the end of April, 2022!

I share same belief.... It's overdue..

1 Like

Re: ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday by Nobody: 11:19am On Feb 12, 2022
ManOfCompetence:
Some students need this strike actually.....
It will help them acquire a skill..... but on the other hand the strike will be fustrating for many especially final year students.....

And yahoo go quadruple cry cry
Re: ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday by Zionzoom(m): 12:45pm On Feb 12, 2022
Senomii:

And yahoo go quadruple cry cry
I swear let them go on strike sef...
I go use that time do something better
Re: ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday by Zionzoom(m): 12:46pm On Feb 12, 2022
sinkhole:
I think it will be more than that

1 Like

Re: ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday by McLizbae: 12:46pm On Feb 12, 2022
Bunch of cowardly bought comrades in the ASUU NEC. What the hell are they putting to vote on this government's hopelessness!?

There is no reason, not even one, why the universities shouldn't be shot down now!
Re: ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday by McLizbae: 12:51pm On Feb 12, 2022
That is what it will continue to be, as long as Nigeria continue to have bad leaders.
opera1:
Anything ASUU always comes with bad news [strike].
Re: ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday by Victerica(m): 5:17pm On Feb 12, 2022
Please, what are they, waiting for?

Bring it on.
Re: ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday by Spherical77(m): 5:55pm On Feb 12, 2022
sinkhole:
I doubt any strike will hold
Re: ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday by sinkhole: 6:52pm On Feb 12, 2022
Spherical77:
I doubt any strike will hold
this seems to be Buhari's believe too, unfortunately ASUU NEC is already meeting at UNILAG and the outcome is almost certain!
Re: ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday by Herbephe1(m): 7:00pm On Feb 12, 2022
this might be the longest strike ever
Re: ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday by Dreadlock69(m): 7:03pm On Feb 12, 2022
Supa striker
Re: ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday by Nikkganc08(m): 8:28pm On Feb 12, 2022
Nigerian students....

Take heart...!!!

The kids of our politicians are all schooling abroad.

4 years course now takes 5 years cos of failed courses.

Plus 1 Year of COVID19 holiday
Then an extra 3 years of ASUU strikes

Thats a total of 9 years
Re: ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday by ManOfCompetence(m): 8:39pm On Feb 12, 2022
sinkhole:
this seems to be Buhari's believe too, unfortunately ASUU NEC is already meeting at UNILAG and the outcome is almost certain!
They will declare a one week warning strike starting from Monday.......
Re: ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday by DonJegzy(m): 9:40pm On Feb 12, 2022
Is there any update on the ASUU meeting?

1 Like

Re: ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday by sinkhole: 6:13am On Feb 13, 2022
ManOfCompetence:

They will declare a one week warning strike starting from Monday.......
Alright grin grin
Re: ASUU Meets Today, Takes Final Decision On Strike Sunday by NneAku344: 2:27am On Feb 14, 2022
I think ASUU is reluctant to declare a strike.. Maybe they want to really, really exhaust all possible options of an amicable resolution.

Fingers crossed though, let's see what the outcome of the ongoing NEC meeting would be..

(1) (Reply)

Benue State University Student Crushed To Death By Truck (graphics) / The Most Scariest Thing In The Whole Entire World / Graduate Studies In Ottawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.