Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,718 members, 7,813,365 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:21 AM

Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? (971 Views)

Who Is The Super Eagles’ Greatest Goalkeeper In 60 Years? / Benjamin Mendy Has A Football Pitch In His House / Benjamin Mendy's Sallah Outfit (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by robosky02(m): 9:20pm On Feb 12, 2022
No doubt Africa has produced great goal keepers in the past the likes of Thomas Nkono, Essam El Hadary, Vincent Enyeama etc but Edouard Mendy is breaking all the records of recent.

Édouard Osoque Mendy (born 1 March 1992) is a professional footballer who plays as a goalkeeper for Premier League club Chelsea and the Senegal national team. He is widely considered as one of the best goalkeepers in the world.

In less than a week he has won the AFCON and now the World Club Cup. Below is a collection of all the awards he has won for club, country and self. Can we now say he is the greatest goalkeeper from Africa?

Honours:
Chelsea

UEFA Champions League: 2020–21
UEFA Super Cup: 2021
FA Cup runner-up: 2020–21
FIFA Club World Cup: 2021

Senegal

Africa Cup of Nations:
Winner 2021;[
runner-up: 2019

Individual

UEFA Champions League Squad of the Season: 2020–21
Ghana Football Awards Best African International: 2021
UEFA Champions League Goalkeeper of the Season: 2020–21
The Best FIFA Men's Goalkeeper: 2021
Africa Cup of Nations Best Goalkeeper: 2021
Africa Cup of Nations Team of the Tournament: 2021

Lalasticlala. Mynd4 mukina2
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Édouard_Mendy

1 Like

Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by fergie001: 9:32pm On Feb 12, 2022
Greatest?

That will be an insult to Nkono and others.
Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by Amotolongbo(f): 9:46pm On Feb 12, 2022
fergie001:
Greatest?

That will be an insult to Nkono and others.
Eduardo Mendy beats them all
Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by fergie001: 9:48pm On Feb 12, 2022
Amotolongbo:
Eduardo Mendy beats them all
So he is the greatest GK in Africa?

Please stop....
Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by Amotolongbo(f): 9:51pm On Feb 12, 2022
fergie001:

So he is the greatest GK in Africa?

Please stop....
stop what?

Bring any goalkeeper from Africa and let’s put him side by side with Mendy to compare.
Eduardo may not be the best, but he is the greatest!
Cos best is ranked by performance while greatest is ranked by achievement.

Let us go on the exercise

2 Likes

Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by fergie001: 9:55pm On Feb 12, 2022
Amotolongbo:
stop what?

Bring any goalkeeper from Africa and let’s put him side by side with Mendy to compare.

Let us go on the exercise
robosky02 mentioned names there...you can look into those names he mentioned. One of Africa's finest, I will not fight that but Africa's Greatest? Haba/

Africa's Greatest because he is winning everything in two years is like saying Benjamin Mendy is better than Paolo Maldini because he has been winning on the bench & in prison.

1 Like

Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by robosky02(m): 10:04pm On Feb 12, 2022
fergie001:

robosky02 mentioned names there...you can look into those names he mentioned. One of Africa's finest, I will not fight that but Africa's Greatest? Haba/

Africa's Greatest because he is winning everything in two years is like saying Benjamin Mendy is better than Paolo Maldini because he has been winning on the bench & in prison.

Can we argue with the result?

Even FIFA called him the best in the world

Hmmmm
Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by fergie001: 10:04pm On Feb 12, 2022
robosky02:
Can we argue with the result?

Even FIFA called him the best in the world

Hmmmm
...and the greatest from Africa?

1 Like

Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by Amotolongbo(f): 10:12pm On Feb 12, 2022
fergie001:

Benjamin Mendy & Paolo Maldini comparison doesn’t isn’t a proper analogy in this kinda debate.

Mention your best African goalkeeper and let’s compare with Eduard Mendy. That isn’t hard to do
Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by fergie001: 10:18pm On Feb 12, 2022
Amotolongbo:
Benjamin Mendy & Paolo Maldini comparison doesn’t isn’t a proper analogy in this kinda debate.

Mention your best African goalkeeper and let’s compare with Eduard Mendy. That isn’t hard to do
Why isn't it?
You are basing it on trophies and I am telling you Mendy cannot be regarded as Africa's best GK?

He has less than 22 games for Senegal..He is currently World No 1 and the best doesn't mean he is the Greatest.

Research into those names he mentioned!

Maybe you didn't know Nkono went to 3 World Cups, played more than 90 games for Cameroon, won the African Footballer of the Year twice when it was awarded by France Football magazine and not CAF)

He was in goal for 333 games for Espanyol. Are you aware he was voted the second best African GK of the last Century?

Please, Mendy is making us proud but to underestimate the Nkonos, Enyeamas, El-Hadarys. Greatest? Have you heard about Joseph-Antoine Bell? We have had very good GKs in Africa.

5 Likes

Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by Amotolongbo(f): 10:33pm On Feb 12, 2022
fergie001:

Why isn't it?
You are basing it on trophies and I am telling you Mendy cannot be regarded as Africa's best GK?

He has less than 22 games for Senegal..He is currently World No 1 and the best doesn't mean he is the Greatest.

Research into those names he mentioned!

Maybe you didn't know Nkono went to 3 World Cups, played more than 90 games for Cameroon, won the African Footballer of the Year twice when it was awarded by France Football magazine and not CAF)

He was in goal for 333 games for Espanyol. Are you aware he was voted the second best African GK of the last Century?

Please, Mendy is making us proud but to underestimate the Nkonos, Enyeamas, El-Hadarys. Greatest? Have you heard about Joseph-Antoine Bell? We have had very good GKs in Africa.

Nobody is underrating any goalkeeper here.
And nobody is talking about Eduard being the best. What we are comparing here is greatness not best.

Greatest here is a superlative comparison talking about a standing out goalkeeper among the outstanding goalkeepers from Africa.

Nkono, Enyeama, El-Hadary, Bells, Kanemi were all outstanding goalkeepers in the continent.
But was there a time any of them was ranked top in the world?

Greatness is about achievement. Tell us who among the mentioned has achieved as much as Mendy.
Please give it to Mendy
Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by fergie001: 10:42pm On Feb 12, 2022
Amotolongbo:
Nobody is underrating any goalkeeper here.

Best and Greatest here are superlative comparisons talking about a standing out goalkeeper among the outstanding goalkeepers from Africa.

Nkono, Enyeama, El-Hadary, Bells, Kanemi were all outstanding goalkeepers in the continent.
But was there a time any of them was ranked top in the world?

Greatness is about achievement. Tell us who among the mentioned has achieved as much as Mendy.
Please give it to Mendy
There was a time Nigeria was ranked 5th in the world..I don't think any other African team has been there....So Nigeria's Super Eagles is the greatest ever team from Africa because they once had a rating highest for an African nation?

Let me not subject it to a debate.

3 Likes

Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by Amotolongbo(f): 10:48pm On Feb 12, 2022
fergie001:

There was a time Nigeria was ranked 5th in the world..I don't think any other African team has been there....So Nigeria is the greatest ever team from Africa?
After that 5th ranking, what else has Nigeria achieved with football to be mentioned as the greatest?

You are bringing on some analogies which are off point bro.
If you are bringing this in to rebuff the greatness of Mendy above other outstanding goalkeepers from Africa, ask yourself if the factors considered to rank Mendy higher is restricted to just one achievement.

I am expecting better from you sir!
Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by fergie001: 10:54pm On Feb 12, 2022
Amotolongbo:
After that 5th ranking, what else has Nigeria achieved with football to be mentioned as the greatest?

You are bringing on some analogies which are off point bro.
If you are bringing this in to rebuff the greatness of Mendy above other outstanding goalkeepers from Africa, ask yourself if the factors considered to rank Mendy higher is restricted to just one achievement.

I am expecting better from you sir!
What I am telling you isn't a subject for an argument but going forward we will learn better.

1 Like

Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by Amotolongbo(f): 11:03pm On Feb 12, 2022
fergie001:

What I am telling you isn't a subject for an argument but going forward we will learn better.

surely bro.

But I prefer the argument to learn better grin
Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by paulolee(m): 11:21pm On Feb 12, 2022
going by ur analogy, it means dani alves is the one n only GOAT bcox he had more trophies won n alot of individual accolades more than all players active .
Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by fergie001: 11:25pm On Feb 12, 2022
Amotolongbo:
surely bro.

One thing GKs show is longevity.....He just had less than 23 games for his Country.

I don't know how to start.....Mendy only started for his adopted Senegal in 2018 and he hasn't even participated in a World Cup and he is already Africa's Greatest ever?

He is not....

2 Likes

Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by paulolee(m): 11:26pm On Feb 12, 2022
Amotolongbo:
surely bro.

Lolz...so even with all fergies names n points, u still think Mendy is better than el hadary, nkono n enyeama bcoz of his trophies won n individual achievements?
mendy can never b the greatest in Africa....its an insult to legendary keepers..
he Is just lucky to be in a title winning Chelsea team..

3 Likes

Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by fergie001: 11:30pm On Feb 12, 2022
paulolee:

Lolz...so even with all fergies names n points, u still think Mendy is better than el hadary, nkono n enyeama bcoz of his trophies won n individual achievements?
mendy can never b the greatest in Africa....its an insult to legendary keepers..
That's why I said I don't even know how to start.......

2 Likes

Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by emmabest2000(m): 11:32pm On Feb 12, 2022
Its his time to shine
I hope he win African best player this time

Congratulations to all the blue families

The sky is blue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by fergie001: 11:37pm On Feb 12, 2022
emmabest2000:
Its his time to shine

I hope he win African best player this time

Congratulations to all the blue families

The sky is blue
It will be difficult but not impossible for him, because Mane is in his team.
Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by MJBOLT: 7:25am On Feb 13, 2022
Chelsea fans,una don start this morning abi undecided
Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by Winningbot: 9:44am On Feb 13, 2022
paulolee:

Na swear you de swear for am undecided
Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by Nobody: 10:45am On Feb 13, 2022
paulolee:

So many factors come to play with making a great goal keeper. Can anybody explain why Mendy conceded alot of goal when Lampard was managing Chelsea?

Even at the just concluded AFCON there were goal keepers who displayed greater ability than Mendy in the tournament. Example is the Sierralone's goal keeper. Even the Egyptian goal keeper performed better than Mendy. If Egypt had won the tournament, the best keeper would go to their keeper. This are factors which ordinarily shouldn't apply.
Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by robosky02(m): 3:55pm On Feb 13, 2022
Incredible

So were do we place Mendy?

Or do we say

He is the most decorated African keeper

fergie001, Amotolongbo
Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by Amotolongbo(f): 4:18pm On Feb 13, 2022
paulolee:

To start with, What is the difference between “best” and “greatest”?
Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by Daninya33: 5:00pm On Feb 13, 2022
Best G.K in Africa? No

Greatest G.K in Africa? No

Most Decorated? Yes, Presently.

The likes of Nkono,El-Hadary,Enyeama,Kameni etc are better than Senegal and Chelsea's Mendy.

In Life, Some are luckier than others.
Mendy was almost unlucky but fate turned in his favour.

Mendy is good but the legends I listed above are by a mile better than him.

For now,Mendy is the most decorated goalkeeper in Africa but he is definitely not the greatest G.K in Africa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Édouard Mendy The Greatest Goalkeeper From Africa? by fergie001: 6:50pm On Feb 13, 2022
Daninya33:
Best G.K in Africa? No

Greatest G.K in Africa? No

Most Decorated? Yes, Presently.

The likes of Nkono,El-Hadary,Enyeama,Kameni etc are better than Senegal and Chelsea's Mendy.

In Life, Some are luckier than others.
Mendy was almost unlucky but fate turned in his favour.

Mendy is good but the legends I listed above are by a mile better than him.

For now,Mendy is the most decorated goalkeeper in Africa but he is definitely not the greatest G.K in Africa.
Robosky02.....This young man here has finished the work.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

May Late Coach Yemi Tella Soul Rest In Perfect Peace / Kanu, Utaka, Better Than Drogba - Christian Chukwu / Arsenal Vs Manchester United! Fa Cup 5th Round: Final B4 Final

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.