Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,042 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

Lagos Traffic In The 60s Vs Today (Photos) - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Traffic In The 60s Vs Today (Photos) (51899 Views)

Nigerian Lady Hit By Lebanese Man Driving Against Traffic In Lagos Dies / Man Drives Against Traffic In Abuja, Soldier Catches Him, Orders Him To Stand On / Lagos Traffic In 1978: Throwback Of Daily Times Front Page (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Traffic In The 60s Vs Today (Photos) by lapazi(m): 8:25am On Feb 15, 2022
The simple reason is just overpopulation
Structures in place can’t carter for the population.
Simple.
Secondly lack of adequate planning and measures by the government.
Re: Lagos Traffic In The 60s Vs Today (Photos) by vivalavida(m): 9:59am On Feb 15, 2022
anonimi:

Why don't you look for and post a more current picture to properly counter the OP
If you know what oshodi looks like now, you wouldn't utter this. So I dont blame you sir
Re: Lagos Traffic In The 60s Vs Today (Photos) by anonimi: 10:53am On Feb 15, 2022
vivalavida:

If you know what oshodi looks like now, you wouldn't utter this. So I dont blame you sir

Is Oshodi the entire Lagos?
Was the OP’s 1960s picture of Oshodi or Idumota

1 Like

Re: Lagos Traffic In The 60s Vs Today (Photos) by sulaak(m): 10:54am On Feb 15, 2022
anonimi:

Why did this catastrophe not happen to Singapore and Malaysia after their independence
What are the differences?

Culture and civilisation.

The Chinese and Malays already had an advanced civilisation before they were colonised and exposed to modern Western cultures and values systems. They enhance their own culture by embracing the best that the West had to offer. The Chinese, Indian and other Asians take pride in what they are archiving.

In Nigeria, we have people believing that they can make money from ritual killing in 2022! Nigeria is the only country that has a terror group with agenda that states the Book is Haram (Boko Haram)

How can any society call itself a government when it cannot refine or process the product that it exports.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Traffic In The 60s Vs Today (Photos) by anonimi: 10:57am On Feb 15, 2022
sulaak:
Culture and civilisation.

The Chinese and Malays already had an advanced civilisation before they were colonised and exposed to modern Western cultures and values systems. They enhance their own culture by embracing the best that the West had to offer. The Chinese, Indian and other Asians take pride in what they are archiving.

In Nigeria, we have people believing that they can make money from ritual killing in 2022! Nigeria is the only country that has a terror group with agenda that states the Book is Haram (Boko Haram)

How can any society call itself a government when it cannot refine or process the product that it exports.

You have spoken well.
Please how do we work on ourselves for us to be more civilised in our culture also

1 Like

Re: Lagos Traffic In The 60s Vs Today (Photos) by okoroemeka(m): 11:08am On Feb 15, 2022
God1000:
A mega city should look more beautiful than what we have now, don't you think guys
mega city means mega crime,mega pollution, noise,dirty,over population,mega stress,traffic jam,frustration,mega irritable people on short fuse,I remembered a year I dropped my aunt from omole phase 1 ogba to ikeja airport,I was still in the traffic going back to ogba my aunty has reached London,thank God I don't live in Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Traffic In The 60s Vs Today (Photos) by sulaak(m): 11:46am On Feb 15, 2022
anonimi:

You have spoken well.
Please how do we work on ourselves for us to be more civilised in our culture also

The good news is that at some time in the 1950s, 1960s and early 70s Nigeria was building institutions that were educating and developing a society that was productive. I was amazed to read an article that the Nigerian textile industry employed 600k people and generated $8 billion in tax revenue in the early 1980s. So Nigeria has the capability and potential to develop a modern and productive society.

The bad news is that Nigeria current system of government will ultimately lead to the end of the country and things will be worst as the country might end up in a permanent state of conflicts like Syria, Somalia and DR congo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Traffic In The 60s Vs Today (Photos) by anonimi: 12:30pm On Feb 15, 2022
sulaak:
The good news is that at some time in the 1950s, 1960s and early 70s Nigeria was building institutions that were educating and developing a society that was productive. I was amazed to read an article that the Nigerian textile industry employed 600k people and generated $8 billion in tax revenue in the early 1980s. So Nigeria has the capability and potential to develop a modern and productive society.

The bad news is that Nigeria current system of government will ultimately lead to the end of the country and things will be worst as the country might end up in a permanent state of conflicts like Syria, Somalia and DR congo

Will restructuring to pre-1966 help us avoid such a fate, or we need to break up like Singapore/Malaysia or India/Pakistan/Bangladesh?
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Traffic In The 60s Vs Today (Photos) by sulaak(m): 12:50pm On Feb 15, 2022
anonimi:

Will restructuring to pre-1966 help us avoid such a fate, or we need to break up like Singapore/Malaysia or India/Pakistan/Bangladesh?
Thanks.

Unfortunately, Nigerians political and military classes are reactive and not proactive and will never implement any policies that will weaken the Nigerian state, so I doubt Nigeria will see a peaceful transition to regional restructuring.
Re: Lagos Traffic In The 60s Vs Today (Photos) by vivalavida(m): 4:34pm On Feb 15, 2022
anonimi:

Is Oshodi the entire Lagos?
Was the OP’s 1960s picture of Oshodi or Idumota
If he wanted a traffic picture in lagos, he should use real time pictures. Not pictures of times past.
And this is what that oshodi looks like now.
Such madness he posted up there does not happen again

Re: Lagos Traffic In The 60s Vs Today (Photos) by anonimi: 4:50pm On Feb 15, 2022
vivalavida:

If he wanted a traffic picture in lagos, he should use real time pictures. Not pictures of times past.
And this is what that oshodi looks like now.
Such madness he posted up there does not happen again

Such madness does not happen in Idumota and other parts of Lagos, or what is your point

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Governor Udom Commissions Anua-Mbak-Ishiet Road, Outfall Drain In Uyo (Photos) / Obituary Of Two Brothers Who Died In Ghastly Motor Accident In Anambra (Photos) / South Africans Blast Nigerians On Facebook: "Nigerians Must Be Deported"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.