Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,715 members, 7,816,947 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:50 PM

ASUU Is Not The Enemy - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Is Not The Enemy (164 Views)

School Resumption: ASUU Is Selfish! Private Schools/varsities Should Better Spea / ASUU Strike And The Enemy Within / ASUU Is A Problem Of The Nigerian University System - Prof. Ochonnu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

ASUU Is Not The Enemy by nigerianrevolut(f): 2:37pm On Feb 17, 2022
You know the saying that you should never judge someone until you walk in their shoes? That was the case for me years ago. The name ASUU was synonymous with Iraq and Iran for me. The perceived similarity laid in the fact that I came into this world and heard of Iraq and Iran's incessant wars as well as ASUU's incessant strikes.

I had elder siblings and relatives in the university who always lamented about ASUU strike and how selfish members of the said organization were. In my little mind I conceived of ASUU as a paramilitary organization that had uniforms and were sent to deal with university students. As a primary school pupil, I started loosing sleep over what would be my lot when I finally got into the university.

Years later, I got into the university. My childish misconceptions about ASUU had cleared but what I couldn't fathom was why my lecturers looked impoverished. I couldn't reconcile the fact that a mere OMATA man wore better clothes, lived in better houses and neighbourhoods and drove better cars than a 'whole' university lecturer. I decided that the ASUU must have had a meeting where they made it binding on members to look modest. Perhaps it was their way of differentiating themselves from others as intellectuals. After all, I read somewhere that people with very high IQ don't usually bother themselves with looks. I was VERY SURE their renumeration was heavy so financial issues was totally out of it.

Once I was done with my tertiary education, my mind was set. I wanted to become a lecturer. No other job would do. I wasn't keen on other jobs I mean ' good ' jobs that came my way. I am intelligent, I love to read and I write well. More so, I have passion for teaching. I had the quintessential qualities of an academic and I would pursue my dream of being in the academia.

Marriage and kids happened and my career ambitions were placed on the back burner. As soon as I could help it, I purchased master's form and completed my studies in record time and with superb grades. I quickly purchased the PhD form and began my studies in earnest.
Then it happened. My heart desire was granted. I was employed at the prestigious university of Nigeria. To say I was elated would be for lack of any other word to convey what I felt the day I was handed my employment letter.

My disillusionment started thereafter. When I saw the net and gross pay for AL I screamed in shock. I was sure it was a typographical error and I dashed back to Mrs. Asogwa in personnel unit to point out the 'mistake' in my appointment letter. She kindly reassured me that it was no mistake.
I swallowed hard and concluded that maybe this was the one the school paid. Surely there must be some form of payments from the faculty and department. I remembered we paid faculty and departmental dues back in school. You know right? I was dreaming like one with a bad case of malaria.

The first salary came and I fell in to a bad bout of depression. While I was at it, older colleagues advised me to start writing 'papers'. According to them, the earlier the better. I was also advised to attend conferences and contribute to chapters in a book if I wanted to move to higher levels. I quickly beat my master's seminars into two rich journal article. I gave to my senior colleagues to read and correct.

As soon as I was ready, I matched into my HOD's office and handed him the articles well espoused in brown envelope. With a sense of accomplishment, I informed him that those were journal articles ready for publication. He was pleased and advised me to look for reputable journals that would publish it. I quickly sent them and in no distant time some agreed to publish it for a fee.
I went to my HOD, broke the good news to him and asked him if the publication fee would be directly paid by 'them' or if they would give me the money to make the payment myself. He looked at me like I was wearing my dress inside out. When he saw I was serious, he broke the sad news to me. I am to pay for my journal publications and any other publications for that matter and it is also up to me to pay for conferences.
My one month salary couldn't foot the bills for two publications and one conference attendance. Meanwhile I have three children to cater for, my school fees to pay, house rent to pay, my gas cylinder to refill, to mention but the basics. It dawned on me that I am done for.

Family and friends called on their 'a whole lecturer in UNN for that matter' to assist them once in awhile and she's not forthcoming. I'm labelled stingy. One day one stumbles upon my payslip and pities me. She asked me to resign that the job isn't worth it. I smile and tell her that our union is working on it and that God will pay me. Another came to Nsukka and I invited her to the cubicle where I am entitled to only a plastic chair without table. She repeatedly said tufiakwa! until she left.

I'm a member of ASUU, the union I once judged and condemned, the most misconceived union, the messaiahnic union that would rather it's members receive peanuts than allow children of the poor masses pay tuition fee. Everyday I come online I see those for whom we slave for condemn us. If only they know.... If only they realize that but for us, most of them won't be in school in the first place because their parents won't be able to afford the cost of university education for them.

It is well. Sooner than later, they would understand. Let me stop here before my data runs out, DORIME IS NOT FOR LECTURERS.
Re: ASUU Is Not The Enemy by nigerianrevolut(f): 2:38pm On Feb 17, 2022
This is an article written by a lecturer. What do you think?
Re: ASUU Is Not The Enemy by sinkhole: 5:39pm On Feb 17, 2022
nigerianrevolut:
This is an article written by a lecturer. What do you think?
But the author said so embarassed

(1) (Reply)

Simple Steps To Register For Jamb 2022 UTME / 2022 International Scholarship Available At University Of La Verne, USA / Hire Project Writer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.