Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,742 members, 7,840,876 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 04:31 PM

Will The Youth Revolution In Egypt, Tunisia, Libya Etc Work In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Will The Youth Revolution In Egypt, Tunisia, Libya Etc Work In Nigeria? (700 Views)

In One Year, Obiano Has Carried Out Silent Revolution In Anambra –bianca Ojukwu / Egypt Calls For A Nigeria-Egypt Led Force Against ISIS In Libya / A Revolution In The Making Buhari Bakare (Tears Of Joy) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will The Youth Revolution In Egypt, Tunisia, Libya Etc Work In Nigeria? by wait4me(m): 6:57pm On Jun 25, 2011
If Nigerian youth decide to start a revolution what will be our demand? what kind of revolution will work , peaceful or violent? I am asking this question because Nigerian youth are mostly the ones affected by the corruption in government.Infact I considered the present Nigerian youth a lost generation.so NL youth if we are to take a cue from Egypt what will be the approach of our own revolution. Certainly we need a revoluttion, but the kind of revolution is what I dont know. I dont know which one will work best for us.
Re: Will The Youth Revolution In Egypt, Tunisia, Libya Etc Work In Nigeria? by EuroMeko(m): 7:03pm On Jun 25, 2011
It will work but be careful of what you wish for. You don't want to jump from fire into hot water.
Re: Will The Youth Revolution In Egypt, Tunisia, Libya Etc Work In Nigeria? by OAM4J: 7:05pm On Jun 25, 2011
Nope. It will not work. IMO.

Nigeria is too complex for it to happen and many Nigerians are cowards and are divided by many lines.

Also I dont think Nigerians are fed up of the current Government and system yet, remember they recently overwhelmingly voted for the status quo to remain.
Re: Will The Youth Revolution In Egypt, Tunisia, Libya Etc Work In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jun 25, 2011
there is no revolution in those countries, just mindless anarchy.
Re: Will The Youth Revolution In Egypt, Tunisia, Libya Etc Work In Nigeria? by OAM4J: 7:10pm On Jun 25, 2011
^Welcome back David. been a while i saw u active on NL wink
Re: Will The Youth Revolution In Egypt, Tunisia, Libya Etc Work In Nigeria? by wait4me(m): 7:11pm On Jun 25, 2011
OAM4J:

Nope. It will not work. IMO.

Nigeria is too complex for it to happen and many Nigerians are cowards and are divided by many lines.

Also I dont think Nigerians are fed up of the current Government and system yet, remember they recently overwhelmingly voted for the status quo to remain.
I know Nigeria is complex but to some extent I dont think the Nigerian youth are that divided especially the educated ones.I have interacted with several Nigerian youth with different religious affiliation and I can tell you the youth can work together, they just need a platform.
Re: Will The Youth Revolution In Egypt, Tunisia, Libya Etc Work In Nigeria? by OAM4J: 7:14pm On Jun 25, 2011
wait4me:

I know Nigeria is complex but to some extent I dont think the Nigerian youth are that divided especially the educated ones.I have interacted with several Nigerian youth with different religious affiliation and I can tell you the youth can work together, they just need a platform.

Wait until you appoint/elect/select leadership for whatever platform you want to use, then you'll see WaZoBia factor come to play.
Re: Will The Youth Revolution In Egypt, Tunisia, Libya Etc Work In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jun 25, 2011
Thanks @OAM4J!

wait4me:

I know Nigeria is complex but to some extent I dont think the Nigerian youth are that divided especially the educated ones.I have interacted with several Nigerian youth with different religious affiliation and[b] I can tell you the youth can work together[/b], they just need a platform.

Most of them (yours truly included) are more interested in their own personal safety and comfort.
Re: Will The Youth Revolution In Egypt, Tunisia, Libya Etc Work In Nigeria? by Rgp92: 7:42pm On Jun 25, 2011
Nigeria is very divided country, the revolution in Egypt and co wont work here. It would turn into civil war
Re: Will The Youth Revolution In Egypt, Tunisia, Libya Etc Work In Nigeria? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:28pm On Jun 25, 2011
@OP there are some necessary ingredients necessary for a revolution to happen whether it is Social, Civil, Political, Technological, Religious and otherwise.

Timing
All things entail rising and falling timing. You must be able to discern this.
Miyamoto Musashi 

Every Idea has its time. There is no greater fuel to stoke the fires of Revolution than an Idea whose time has come. When are the best times to start a Revolution? Do not mistake timing in terms of calendar periods or when a pregnancy is due for delivery. Many argue and agree that Nigeria is ripe for a revolution. "Why has it not happened" I ask. One needs to approach the issue of timing like an Army decides when is the best time to strike its Enemy forces. A Revolution is best delivered when the target is at its most vulnerable state, when it cannot rally opinion and strengthen alliances that can create divisions equal to the task of crushing the revolutionaries. We must be able to interpret the times to know when to strike.
Sometimes the Timing is just right but requires another element: A Catalyst

A Revolution needs a Catalyst

"When the Winds of Change Blow Hard Enough, The Most Trivial of Things can turn into Deadly Projectiles."
http://www.despair.com/changewinds.html

A Catalyst in Chemistry is defined as "A substance that increases the rate of a chemical reaction without itself undergoing any permanent chemical change" or "A person or thing that precipitates an event" http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/catalyst

The catalyst for the Russian 1905 'revolution' was Bloody Sunday. A peaceful protest that turned horribly fatal when Military fired on protesters (men, women and children) who asked only for bread and better living conditions.

The Egyptian revolution of January 25th, 2011 attested that communication technology can jump from virtual reality to real life. The revolution proved that the power of social networks such as Facebook and Twitter can force an established dictatorship to step down and end three decades of Mubarak’s regime.

In Tunisia, what began as the desperate act of a frustrated, humiliated young man in mid-December has now sent shock waves throughout the Arab world.

"I am traveling, mother; blame is pointless. I am lost on a road not of our making. Forgive me for disobeying you. Blame the times, not me. I am leaving, and there is no return" were the final words written in a short note by Mohammed Bouazizi, an unemployed university graduate,who had been denied a permit to run a small fruit and vegetable stall. He set fire to himself - an act of defiance that sparked demonstrations and rioting throughout the country and eventually brought down the dictatorship of Tunisian President Ben Ali, on January 14th.

Today, Bouazizi is a hero, not just to his nation, but to millions of Arabs were prepared to use the tragedy of his life and death as a catalyst for change. The revolution in Tunisia was not motivated by ideology or religion, nor was it pro or anti-democracy. Its only catalyst seems to have been the desire of millions of Tunisians for social justice, dignity, the right to work, and to live free of fear and poverty.

We need to ask ourselves (Nigerians) What is our Catalyst? is it Injustice, Poverty, Corruption, Ethnic/Religious Violence? what can turn 150 million Nigerians into a Wind of Change  If we cannot find our catalyst then a Revolution even in the Mind is as harmless as Gun-powder safely stored in a keg. A Keg of Gun-powder will not explode unless under certain environmental conditions. this brings me to my third ingredient. A Condition

A Revolution needs Necessary Conditions
History has shown that powerful revolutions have come about due to conditions that necessitate large-scale change. As i stated earlier, if your revolution is only in your mind, then it is as harmless as Gun-powder safely stored in a keg. The secret to this particular (most important) ingredient has puzzled me for months because similar conditions of Poverty, Injustice, Crime, Insecurity, Ethnic/Religious violence, Corruption etc have on their own sparked powerful revolutions in other parts of the world, Why is Nigeria's case different? 

It seems the World's No1 Happiest People on Earth are either too happy about their dire condition to give a damn about any sort of Revolution or there is something missing in their psyche. it is nor Fear or Cowardice or Laziness as many people including Abami Eda - Fela (Of Blessed Memory) have put forward. No.What is missing is The Spirit of Nationhood This is a Fact many Nigerians deny in the face of increasingly obvious and unclothed evidence from Ethic, Religious and Political Proportions, We are not united as one Nation under One Ideal. The only time i see a United Nigeria is when we play Football at the World Cup  smiley Outside that, The Fulani's snub the Hausa's, The Hausas ridicule the Yorubas, The Igbo's distrust everyone since the Civil War and the Niger-Deltans feel cheated by all of the above. Even if all likely conditions of a revolution exists in present-day Nigeria, you still need that Unifying Glue to bind us all into one Coherent Force of Change.

Spirit of Nationhood
A Nation is not neccesarily a physical geographical estate. it is a unifying spirit of oneness - Palestine is a Nation without a sovereign state - it is expressed in the spirit of its people. When I look at their situation I feel I have unlocked the key to Nigeria's mystery - Nigerian Disunity is a Myth It is a powerful myth built by our founding Fathers since independence in 1960 and faithfully propagated over 5 decades. It is a myth so powerful that when women and children are hacked with machetes in their sleep, nothing happens. when Jega spends nearly N70 billion on electoral equipment and biometrics (that in advanced nations signal electronic voting processes) for manual voting -nobody as much as challenges him, when a sitting president cannot account for $16 billion dollars spent on a phantom power project - everybody watches like clueless r.etards, when the police are unable to solve crimes that threaten our national security, people just laugh and carry on with their lives shocked there are so many examples of how we have become so detached from our Nation Nigeria because we feel we are only Nigerians as the label indicates not a people.

The Myth of Nigerian Disunity needs to be destroyed because it is what is keeping corrupt leaders in power and building a generation of youths who will continue to faithfully propagate the myth. That cycle needs to be broken with Political Awareness Our leaders use us as launch-pads to achieve their selfish political ends - when done, they abandon the mandate for which they were elected for in the first place, they become tyrants to the very people who gave them freedom.
Re: Will The Youth Revolution In Egypt, Tunisia, Libya Etc Work In Nigeria? by queensmith: 10:31pm On Jun 25, 2011
No- because unlike the leaders of those countries the US have GEJ pretty much under their control. The media wont report it, no-one will no about it and the US will send their mighty rockets to anyone who dares to challenge their control of the world!
Re: Will The Youth Revolution In Egypt, Tunisia, Libya Etc Work In Nigeria? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:45pm On Jun 26, 2011
Keeping this in view - it seems Nigerians are fond of being Arm-chair activists and when you confront them with the Truth in their living room - they retreat into their bathrooms in fear angry
Re: Will The Youth Revolution In Egypt, Tunisia, Libya Etc Work In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jun 26, 2011
Can't happen mainly because of tribalism.

(1) (Reply)

Can This Much Sense Be In A Pdp Leader? / No One Has Monopoly Of Violence, Oritsejafor Tells Shariah Council / Nigeria Still Needs A Coup - Orkar's Brother

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.