Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,470 members, 7,816,113 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:14 AM

Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff (13098 Views)

Consumers Kick As FG Raises Prices Of Prepaid Meters / Protest In Osun Over Hike In Electricity Tariff, Fuel Price (Photos) / Edo 2020: PDP Youths Kick Over Waiver For Obaseki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by ikorodureporta: 7:40am On Feb 18, 2022
Electricity consumers on Thursday kicked against the silent increase in the tariff payable by customers to power distribution companies for electricity consumed.

They said it was worrisome that the government was allowing Discos to raise electricity tariff amid fuel scarcity across the country.

Adulterate fuel imported into country about two weeks ago had led to fuel scarcity and long queues in filling stations in states.

It was gathered that the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission had adjusted the tariffs payable to Discos, as some of the power firms got a raise in their tariffs, while others had theirs reduced.

This, however, was not announced or published or the website of the regulator as it used to publish it in the past.

The President, Nigeria Consumer Protection Network, Kola Olubiyo, told our correspondent that his group took up the matter with the regulator last week.

He stated that while some customers said their tariffs were increased by N4, others could not actually tell the amount by which theirs were raised, adding that there had been no public confirmation by the NERC.

He said, “They (NERC) raised it last week or there about, and is like it is a N4 adjustment. Port Harcourt and Abuja (Discos) raised it and in fact, I think it is across board.

“But what we are asking the regulator is that if they approved something that is going to affect our pocket without letting us know, it is like shaving our heads in our absence.

“They said labour was part of them and I said is that what labour went to negotiate for us? I was told that they have a structured table that has already been approved and it is just for them to implement.”

Olubiyo added, “But if they have approved the table as they said, are they giving us the required services? You and I know that services have not improved. We are having low generation and all manner of blame games.”

The legal practitioner and NCPN president insisted that the regulator should provide a table on the increase as it used to publish in the past, stressing that consumers had the right to know.

He said, “They should let us have the table that shows the bit-by-bit increment. We should have it. They are not communicating with the public.

“If they are taking a decision that will affect our disposable income, are we not supposed to be in the know? If you raise it they will argue that are we not aware that things are increasing everyday. Is that the way we are going to work?”

Confirming the increase, a power user in Abuja, said, “It seems the Discos have increased their tariffs again without public notice. I recharged N5,000 today but was given 91.7 units instead of the usual 107.”

Also, an official at the Federal Ministry of Power stated that the increase had to be implemented because the Federal Government had withdrawn some of its financial support to power firms.

“The Federal Government has to withdraw every support or most of its support to power firms, such as subsidy on electricity,” the source, who pleaded not to be named for lack of authorisation, stated.

The official added, “So in a way there is adjustment in tariff because they (power firms) are shouldering higher cost responsibility now. However, some of them actually have reductions in their tariffs and nobody is talking is about it.”

On whether there was any official adjustment in tariff, the source replied, “They (Discos) have been communicated more than a month ago, since January or so.”

Efforts to get the NERC to speak on the matter were unsuccessful, as its spokesperson, Usman Arabi, could not be reached on Thursday evening. A text message sent to him on the matter had yet to be replied to up till when this report was filed in.

Source: https://punchng.com/consumers-kick-over-silent-increase-in-electricity-tariff-amid-fuel-scarcity/?amp

1 Like

Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by inoki247: 7:41am On Feb 18, 2022
The country just dey somehow...

Thank God I don disconnect myself for like 8month now nd I no die...

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by ikorodureporta: 7:43am On Feb 18, 2022
They've increased the tariff twice now without informing us...& NERC isn't saying anything...they even ran away from facebook

19 Likes

Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by SarkinYarki: 7:44am On Feb 18, 2022
See Buhari is deliberately destroying this country

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by cherishmichael: 7:45am On Feb 18, 2022
Hmmm.
Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by Nbotee(m): 7:48am On Feb 18, 2022
I noticed it wen I recently bought units again

7 Likes

Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by Onyiiobi7735(m): 7:50am On Feb 18, 2022
grin What Buhari cannot destroy with his leprous hands doesn't exist.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by ikorodureporta: 7:56am On Feb 18, 2022
These people are taking us for granted..without this increment, my area in Ikorodu is pegged at 12hrs daily - D class, but the unit I was served in my December bill was close to 500

Tell me how 12 x 31 got to 400, even with a day off & 2 days on rationing..

Give us meters & stop this fraud!

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by madridguy(m): 8:04am On Feb 18, 2022
Even with prepaid meter you will wondering what is drinking your unit.

ikorodureporta:
These people are taking us for granted..without this increment, my area in Ikorodu is pegged at 12hrs daily - D class, but the unit I was served in my December bill was close to 500

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by Maxymilliano(m): 8:07am On Feb 18, 2022
Current economy situation is not poor man friendly, It takes more than a miracle to survive this cursed regime

5 Likes

Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by BlazinGlory40: 8:14am On Feb 18, 2022
All ye ethnic bigots of different tribes! You can now see how you all are bitten in the ass by hardship. After coming here to abuse your tribes, you will spend more for lesser electricity units just to power your phones after your e-fighting. Shame!

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by emmanuelbrown26: 3:22pm On Feb 18, 2022
Why are the supporters complaining?, or are the mad or what?
A man without a vision promised u change and u failed to ask the particular change he was promising u. This is the one of change he promised not passenger-conductor change.
I keep wondering why 15million useless zombies with ndi sophisticated could vote for a purposeless man all in d name of our own.
any supporter of bubu that complains should wait for the wrath of amadioha

18 Likes

Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by GboyegaD(m): 3:22pm On Feb 18, 2022
I'm hoping the events happening will shapen us to vote wisely in the next election.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by MrNipplesLover(m): 3:22pm On Feb 18, 2022
We go burn this country down las las....
Dead country....
Stupid government....

Doomed people!

10 Likes

Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by Fr33born(m): 3:23pm On Feb 18, 2022
As in
Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by yusluvad(m): 3:25pm On Feb 18, 2022
Same experience here in Ota...
Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by Perfecttouchade: 3:27pm On Feb 18, 2022
Honestly, it's becoming too terrible to endure all these
Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by Misteel(f): 3:29pm On Feb 18, 2022
fikna222:
Do you want to beautify your commercial /residential building with a selection of best interior design, look no further as we provide you with with an incomparable design for your residence or commercial purpose , just choose your style and we will handle the rest.ranging from ;

Fabrication of Stainless steel / aluminium handrails
Shower cubicles and glass partitioning
Furniture making
Glass balcony
Painting
Fabrication of consoles , centre table and side tables ..........e.t.c

We also provide payment on delivery plans for our Stainless Steel / Aluminium Handrails Accessories for clients in Lagos.
We are based in Lagos but can work in any part of Nigeria

We offer free consultation
contact us on 0.8.1.3.7.2.7.3.4.5.6 to visit our store

Your satisfaction is our concern.
Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by AntiBMC(m): 3:31pm On Feb 18, 2022
This is one silly excuse for a country.

2 Likes

Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by shidof(m): 3:31pm On Feb 18, 2022
Ikeja Electric distribution company also increased the tarrifs last week. I usually received 184 units for #10000 but I received 174 units last week. They thought we won't spot the difference. This is like the second times in 3 months they've increased the price. They didn't really care about us or how we will feel. It's all all about the disco and FG interest

4 Likes

Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by tosinjay(m): 3:32pm On Feb 18, 2022
ikorodureporta:

Where at ikorodu? Cause i just moved to owode ibeshe, they are just flashing us and till 2 days again flash. I just tire.
Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by chloride6: 3:34pm On Feb 18, 2022
Prices need to go up..

No other way...

It's a symptom of a larger problem..

Why is inflation so high and why does Godwin still have a job?

1 Like

Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by Jungleluv5: 3:36pm On Feb 18, 2022
God punish every person that is making things difficult for the Masses

1 Like

Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by tutudesz: 3:36pm On Feb 18, 2022
Beginning of 2020, 6k = about 260 units to 6k = 130 unit November, presently 6k = 104 unit undecided
Gas 12.5 was 3500 and now 8k
No be their fault O!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by ignis: 3:37pm On Feb 18, 2022
Nigeria is something else.
Re: Consumers Kick Over Silent Increase In Electricity Tariff by Frosheer(m): 3:37pm On Feb 18, 2022
issoright

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

IPOB Drags Orji Uzor Kalu To Court Over Comment About Nnamdi Kanu’s Location / Ahmed Lawan Defends N13.5m Running Cost: 'Many Don’t Understand Our Functions' / Labour Party Disowns Campaign Rally Timetable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.