Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,968 members, 7,841,711 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 01:37 PM

CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing (1201 Views)

Jonathan To Inaugurate 40MW Kashimbila Dam In February / Jonathan To Present N4.4trn Budget Today / President Jonathan to honor 100 Nigerian companies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by Chyz2: 7:01am On Jun 26, 2011
[size=15pt]CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing[/size]

By Obinna Chima

24 Jun 2011

As part of efforts to drive its Nigerian Incentive-Based Risk Sharing System for Agricultural Lending (NIRSAL) aimed at reviving lending to the Nigerian agricultural sector, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has concluded plans to organise a two day conference.

The meeting which has President Goodluck Jonathan, as the special guest of honour, the apex bank said is veritable platform to engage the President on the NIRSAL concept.

The notice of the meeting, obtained on the CBN’s website Thursday, also explained that it will offer an opportunity to discuss and take decisive action on key policy issues on the agric sector.

The CBN also reiterated that it will invest an estimated sum of $500 million in the programme.

The conference tagged: “NIRSAL: A Financing Mechanism for a Holistic Transformation of the Nigerian Agricultural Landscape,” commences in Abuja on July 5.

The CBN restated that NIRSAL is a dynamic, holistic approach that tackles both the agricultural value chain and the agricultural financing value chain.

It added: “NIRSAL does two things at once; fixes the agricultural value chain, so that banks can lend with confidence to the sector and, encourages banks to lend to the agricultural value chain by offering strong incentives and technical assistance. NIRSAL unlike other schemes which encouraged banks to lend, without clear strategy to the entire spectrum of the agricultural value chain, emphasises lending to the value chain and to all sizes of producers.”

According to the CBN, a breakdown of how the sum of  $500 million  will be  invested on the programme shows that   risk-sharing facility will get $300 million.

The CBN  added, “This component would address banks’ perception of high-risks in the sector by sharing losses on agricultural loans. Insurance facility to get $30 million and the facility’s primary goal is to expand insurance products for agricultural lending from the current coverage to new products.

“Technical Assistance facility will get $60 million to equip banks to lend sustainably to agriculture, producers to borrow and use loans more effectively and increase output of better quality agricultural products, Holistic Bank Rating Mechanism to get $10 million while Bank Incentives Mechanism to be allocated $100 million.”

http://www.thisdayonline.com/
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by EzeUche1(m): 7:03am On Jun 26, 2011
I will be watching. . .
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by Kasiem2: 7:17am On Jun 26, 2011
I'd not be surprise to see some people praising this man to high heavens as the most detribalised man, whenever he decides to contest in any presidential election. This was the same way buhari started his own, favoring the north at the expense of the south.
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by Mtnaija(f): 7:44am On Jun 26, 2011
^^when Soludo had this golden opportunity what happen? Oh! He was busy dinning with theiving banks executives and stuffing money for his political ambitions.
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by Kasiem2: 7:52am On Jun 26, 2011
^^ soludo protected our banks from economic melt down that rocked most banks that even survived second world war. He created micro finance banks as a grassroot banking sector.
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by Mtnaija(f): 8:10am On Jun 26, 2011
^^ soludo had his ideology and he did his best. That said, But he intentionally OVERLOOKED the banks CEO's and allow ponzi scheme to flourish without any checks.

Thanks to SLS for cleaning the mess, which would have plunge the banking sector in to deep financial crisis.
Imagine soludo telling us all is well until SLS came on board, and saw a near crash system having a free fall from sky with unimaginable 'BAD' debts owed by few CEO's and their cronies at the detriment of share holders and ordinary depositors.
No amount of sponsored propaganda can take away the good jobs and clean records of SLS.
In soludo's book cecilia Ibru was a genius, Erastus Akingbola was a bank guru. . .and so on!. But we now know better!
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by Kasiem2: 8:25am On Jun 26, 2011
^ and i'm yet to see any policy adopted and completed by SLS. U can never know the flaws of a person, whe he's still at the helm of affairs and a person cannot be ubiquitous to know and solve every problem that he encounters, that's why sanusi met the problems that he solved. As for sanusi, his records will be worst than that of soludo if another person emerges as the cbn gov'nor, cos he's not even receiving global plaundits in the manner soludo received it. May be, we'll start seeing names like bin laden, muttallab, atiku as power brokers in major banks across the country.
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by Mtnaija(f): 8:46am On Jun 26, 2011
^^ wow! And you just concluded that SLS records will be worst than soludu with what? shocked shocked
For the benefit of expedience, you can bring on your facts so that we can examine them. Cut the last part of your bin laden crap cos am not buying your trash!

Thesame Abdulmutallab that reported his sons dubious and extremist activities to the US embassy in Nigeria 3 months before the underwear bomber was caught? That was a bold measure which is very difficult in Nigerias setting of today.

For me that man is what an average father should do to their sons.
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by Kasiem2: 9:06am On Jun 26, 2011
^ my assertions are deeply rooted on the facts that soludo made notable marks without putting up a fight against any body's policy, rather, he found the need for him to invent his own policies to help in taking the banking sector to another level. But, in the case of sanusi, the reverse seems to be the case, that's why he has never as an erudite scholar invented any idea with his senses. The value of naira keeps deflating, instead of him to adopt soludo's policy to save naira from further collapse he keeps moving about in search of soludo's policy to destroy. Look at the kind of vituperation coming his way when he's still steering the ship, check what'll happen when he steps. During soludo's era it was a harvest of awards and praises all through.
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by Mtnaija(f): 9:29am On Jun 26, 2011
^^ my musing is that SLS is equally trying to bring on his 'little' contributions and i think he is doing quite good. Now talking about awards, SLS made the list of TIME magazine's man of the year! Infact he was posited at the 11th most influential person in the WORLD!
That alone is more than all the reneged awards you may think SOLUDO has. Beside that, thesame people awarding soludo are equally thesame set awarding cecilia Ibru all sorts tom and jack, Compare the integrity of those awards and report back. grin grin grin
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by ziccoit: 9:42am On Jun 26, 2011
"Sanusi's Northern Agenda Slowly Unfolding!" is clearly misleading because I don't see how the topic has to do only with the North. Does the poster mean Agriculture practices are exclusively Northern asset? sad sad
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by Mtnaija(f): 9:48am On Jun 26, 2011
^^ The poster is a 'licensed' bigot that is allow to display his bigotry freely. IMO
Heck! False alarmed topic header should have been changed.
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by Kasiem2: 9:55am On Jun 26, 2011
Mt.naija:

^^ my musing is that SLS is equally trying to bring  on his 'little' contributions and i think he is doing quite good. Now talking about awards, SLS made the list of TIME magazine's man of the year! Infact he was posited at the 11th most influential person in the WORLD!
That alone is more than all the reneged awards you may think SOLUDO has. Beside that, thesame people awarding soludo are equally thesame set awarding cecilia Ibru all sorts tom and jack,  Compare the integrity of those awards and report back. grin grin grin  
sanusi is trying to bring his contributions, in what manner? In a way that one part of the country will enjoy at the detriment of others? In a way that he'll add fire to the volatile situation of the country? My wife, be pragmatic. Coming to the issue of influence, do u know what being influential entails? I can dispute that clueless award, cos i'm cocksure that sanusi can not even influence u, inasmuchas, influencing any body in this country. That goes a long way to tell u the veracity of that award as to be compared to that of soludo that did a visible work.
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by FACE(m): 9:56am On Jun 26, 2011
OK, maybe I'm a bit naive, but I have been trying to figure out any pointer to northern agenda in the article but I keep missing it.

So tell me, are they going to exclude southern farmers and southern banks from participating ?
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by Nobody: 10:08am On Jun 26, 2011
Renaissance professionals back and even beer parloring
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by chamber2(m): 10:12am On Jun 26, 2011
Who is even comparing prof.Soludo with sanusi?On what footing are you placing them?Sanusi can only dream to achieve what soludo did during his time as the cbn governor.Soludo, as a well trained professional, foresaw the global economic meltdown and recapitalised our banks to wither the impact of the global heat.It took sanusi just a few days in office to destroy what soludo laboured to achieve.soludo created the micro-finance banks, but sanusi destroyed them.A risk manager who does not even know how to mitigate risk exposure, causing run in banks and increasing the unemployment pool.

Sanusi is obviously pursuing a northern agenda.A technocrat turned religious leader.The faster we relieve sanusi of his job at the cbn to enable him concentrate in his religious bigotry the better for us.
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by Mtnaija(f): 10:17am On Jun 26, 2011
I think you should hold on for a sec! What authority do you have to discredit TIME magazine's award? What is it that will 'detriment to others' i can't seems to understand. Try another spin cos this ain't working.

1. For a moment lets assume he is actualling pursuing 'Northern Agenda' by lobbying for funds made for agriculture to be released and, thus empowering the Northern almajiri's, isn't that all what we want? Seeing violence and joblessness reducing in the North? You'd be the first person to shout boko haram later, NO?

2. When those funds are eventually released are they going to be tagged 'for northerners farmers only'? Or are you telling me Ebonyi state rice farmer won't benefit from the grants?

3. When yar adua granted amnesty to militants, whose agenda was he following? When Jonathan was sending thugs to study abroad, whose agenda was he pursuong?

. . .You can do me a favour by just addressing the issue without bringing my personality cos i hate patronage.

Kasiem2:

sanusi is trying to bring his contributions, in what manner? In a way that one part of the country will enjoy at the detriment of others? In a way that he'll add fire to the volatile situation of the country? My wife, be pragmatic. Coming to the issue of influence, do u know what being influential entails? I can dispute that clueless award, cos i'm cocksure that sanusi can not even influence u, inasmuchas, influencing any body in this country. That goes a long way to tell u the veracity of that award as to be compared to that of soludo that did a visible work.
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by Kasiem2: 12:36pm On Jun 26, 2011
Mt.naija:

I think you should hold on for a sec! What authority do you have to discredit TIME magazine's award? What is it that will 'detriment to others' i can't seems to understand. Try another spin cos this ain't working.

1. For a moment lets assume he is actualling pursuing 'Northern Agenda' by lobbying for funds made for agriculture to be released and, thus empowering the Northern almajiri's, isn't that all what we want? Seeing violence and joblessness reducing in the North? You'd be the first person to shout boko haram later, NO?

2. When those funds are eventually released are they going to be tagged 'for northerners farmers only'? Or are you telling me Ebonyi state rice farmer won't benefit from the grants?

3. When yar adua granted amnesty to militants, whose agenda was he following? When Jonathan was sending thugs to study abroad, whose agenda was he pursuong?

. . .You can do me a favour by just addressing the issue without bringing my personality cos i hate patronage.

u are asking the authority that i have impugn an honor which is glaringly unmeritted? Are u insinuating that TIMES MAGAZINE is infallible? I dont think so. As for the amnesty programme, aint u knowledgeable enough to know that it was sponsored with funds that were gotten from oil (which is naturally theirs). Then, how come u compare it with a situation where the general tax of the populace will be used to fund what will benefit one side of the country. U trying to make a point that creation of jobs will help the crime rate in the north is a sort of lie. More jobs will help have more money to get bombs and more sophiscated weapons. Or, are telling me that this bombers are jobless? Violence is born out of nature and not circumstance.
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by Mtnaija(f): 12:53pm On Jun 26, 2011
what more do you expect me to say! Your lack of grasp hasn't change even when you obtained NEW user ID. grin grin grin & I don't want to go back to my old ways either.
I can't help your low IQ. So long. . .!?!

Incase you are wondering who i might be grin crack your head from my signature to figure out.

Kasiem2:

u are asking the authority that i have impugn an honor which is glaringly unmeritted? Are u insinuating that TIMES MAGAZINE is infallible? I dont think so. As for the amnesty programme, aint u knowledgeable enough to know that it was sponsored with funds that were gotten from oil (which is naturally theirs). Then, how come u compare it with a situation where the general tax of the populace will be used to fund what will benefit one side of the country. U trying to make a point that creation of jobs will help the crime rate in the north is a sort of lie. More jobs will help have more money to get bombs and more sophiscated weapons. Or, are telling me that this bombers are jobless? Violence is born out of nature and not circumstance.
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by Kasiem2: 1:16pm On Jun 26, 2011
Mt.naija:

what more do you expect me to say! Your lack of grasp hasn't change even when you obtained NEW user ID. grin grin grin & I don't want to go back to my old ways either.
I can't help your low IQ. So long. . .!?!

Incase you are wondering who i might be grin crack your head from my signature to figure out.

u need not to say more if u can't debunk my claims. Pls i'm not the type that keeps coming with moniker for a purpose that i dont know. I'm sui generis.
P.s.s why were offensive this time around. Be discreet with ur words.
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by naijaking1: 1:52pm On Jun 26, 2011
ziccoit:

"Sanusi's Northern Agenda Slowly Unfolding!" is clearly misleading because I don't see how the topic has to do only with the North. Does the poster mean Agriculture practices are exclusively Northern asset? sad sad

No, it means the CBN governor, who is supposed to be our chief economist is slowly getting the CBN directly into the so-called risk-sharing enterprises, or islamic economics as some people have called it.
Note, nobody is saying "ban islamic banking", but we're saying don't use federal goverment funds and efforts to do that.
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by pokur: 2:01pm On Jun 26, 2011
chamber2:

Who is even comparing prof.Soludo with sanusi?On what footing are you placing them?Sanusi can only dream to achieve what soludo did during his time as the cbn governor.Soludo, as a well trained professional, foresaw the global economic meltdown and recapitalised our banks to wither the impact of the global heat.It took sanusi just a few days in office to destroy what soludo laboured to achieve.soludo created the micro-finance banks, but sanusi destroyed them.A risk manager who does not even know how to mitigate risk exposure, causing run in banks and increasing the unemployment pool.

Sanusi is obviously pursuing a northern agenda.A technocrat turned religious leader.The faster we relieve sanusi of his job at the cbn to enable him concentrate in his religious bigotry the better for us.
Excuse me,what exactly did Soludo achieve while in office to make him stand a collosus?.Making our banks too big to fail with thieving execu-thieves?.FYI,i dnt agree with everyone of SLS' policies,but on monetary matters n financial sanity,he is way better than Soludo.
And before anyone responds to this post with tribal rants,know that i am igbo from Nnewi and i am just calling it as i see it.
BTW,the thread's header should be changed ASAP,its totally misleading.
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by ektbear: 3:25pm On Jun 26, 2011
The NIRSAL thing is what is "Northern"? What aspect thereof? Not quite seeing how the article relates to the ops title
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by emekagh(m): 3:30pm On Jun 26, 2011
I see no Northern agenda is this article/idea.
There are big farms in the south that will definitely  benefit from such loan.
Perhaps it's a ploy to get a lot of people back to farm.

Nice one Sanusi. I just hope it will be well managed.
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by DisGuy: 7:27am On Jul 06, 2011
How we’re helping Nigeria run agric as business

Dr. Akinwumi A. Adesina is a household name in the agricultural sector world over. A First Class graduate of Agriculture Economics, Adesina is the Vice President for Policy and Partnerships of the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA). With over 20 years experience in fixing the agricultural sector for African countries, he has in his kitty several awards. Last week, he was in Nigeria. In this interview, he says the sector needs a comprehensive overhaul.
Why are you in Nigeria this time around?

I am in Nigeria as a continuation of what we are doing with the Central Bank of Nigeria on a programme called Nigeria Incentive-based Risk Sharing System for Agricultural Lending (NIRSAL). Basically this programme will help the CBN to leverage the excess liquidity that is on the balance sheet of banks into agriculture. The CBN and the Bankers Committee have been working hard to see how to expand the lending going into the real sectors. Our task is to help with expanding lending to the agricultural sector. The CBN Governor and the Bankers committee are doing a great job.

Now, the challenge that occurs here is that when you look at the banking sector, it has not been lending much to farmers. Less than 1% of Nigeria banks’ lending goes to agriculture where you have about 70% of the population and at the same time we have 70% of our people living on less than a dollar, so there is a correlation between the poor performance of agriculture and rise in poverty. This needs to change.
Re: CBN Parleys Jonathan to Unlock Agric Financing by DisGuy: 7:27am On Jul 06, 2011
What is the term of partnership with your organization?

The CBN and AGRA signed a memorandum of understanding in June last year to bring our experience of doing this with other banks in other countries. My institution, AGRA, has worked in Kenya, Uganda, Mozambique, Tanzania and Ghana to help the banks transform their lending into agriculture. We have helped to leverage $170 million in new lending from banks in those countries into agriculture. When we started, we put up a loan facility and credit guaranty, with a bank called Equity Bank in Kenya. It leveraged $50 million from the bank. Today the bank has lent over $20 million to over 40,000 farmers. We helped to reduce the interest rates for farmers significantly. The loss rate is extremely low at less than 1% of the facility. We leveraged $100 million from Standard Bank, Africa’s largest bank, into new lending into agriculture. These are encouraging results. Many more banks are now seeing that lending to farmers and agribusiness is not as risky as they think. So the idea is to get the bank to move into a space that they would not normally have moved into. NIRSAL is being designed for the specific context of Nigeria, as Nigeria is very different.When NIRSAL is launched by the CBN governor you will see the details. It will be a game changer for agricultural lending in Nigeria. The focus is on real farmers.

How do you ensure that banks buy into this initiative, given that agriculture is seen as highly risky in Nigeria?

The Bankers sub-Committee on development has been showing remarkable leadership. All the banks in Nigeria are actively participating. We have organized a number of workshops for credit officers of banks, Chief Risk Officers and Chief Strategy Officers of banks. We have met with several of the CEOs of banks. Theytold us why they are not lending and what needs to be done to encourage more agricultural lending. There is full support for NIRSAL as addressing all the key issues for the banking sector to expand agricultural lending. This is very encouraging indeed. NIRSAL will support them to lend responsibly, with good quality loans going to agribusinesses and farmers. The banks all feel that reducing their risk of lending is critical for success. NIRSAL would also help to coordinate the value chain better so that banks are not just lending haphazardly but towards coordinated value chains.

(1) (Reply)

Uk Site For Cheap Things / Can Anyone Help To Buy Things From Alibaba.com / How Can I Set Up A Fax Link At Home?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.