Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,806 members, 7,851,710 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 06:07 AM

Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. (869 Views)

Toyota Camry,you've Got To Drive This Car This Month,kindly Make It Yours Now!!! / Just 2.5mil for 2006 Land RoverLr3 HSE FULL OPTION) , Got To Go Price( 2.5mil) / What Has Ambassador John Fashanu Got To Do With Tyres ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. by Nobody: 9:23am On Jun 27, 2011
I've posted this in the nairaland section, but had no response, so my apologies for the re-post. Perhaps others can chime in.
Re: Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. by Nobody: 9:24am On Jun 27, 2011
I've been on this forum since 2007. I don't spam. Most of my posts are in the Auto section, I love automobile, working on them, and giving help / advice / tips to posted issues by Nairalanders with mechanical problems etc. Most technical posts are beneficial to all, including those that didn't request them, some automobile issues are generic, so others can relate to them. Unfortunately, often there's no way to condense such topics / posts, and still convey the original message.

Time after time, the Anti-Spam BOT will tag these posts as spam, and sometimes ban the poster. I've been through this quite a few times, and not one to create another user ID, I have to wait till my ban's over. Often, the post will not appear. The same has happened today - I've responded to a brother in need, and my post was tagged, I was banned. I've been released, but my post is still missing. The worse aspect is, due to no PM feature, you can't send a message to the person you're assisting, and of course, the Moderators are not reachable via PM either. If you don't have an email for them, you're pretty much buggered.
Re: Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. by Nobody: 9:25am On Jun 27, 2011
Often, by the time you've been unbanned, and your post is untagged (if it does get untagged) there have been so many other responses, it ceases to make any sense. I understand there has to be some sort of control of Forum content, but isn't there a better way? I'm on several other boards, and have never had this issue. Sometimes, you're typing a response, and your finger hovers over the "reply" button, wondering if it'll result in you getting a ban. Crazy, but true.

Another gripe I have is Spammers. There are loads. Some will post an advert in whatever section over 30 times, so you're not sure which one to respond to. And these posts don't appear to be regulated. An example of this is a member here:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=profile;u=517937

At my last check, he had 28 posts advertising automobile key replacement, all in the Auto section. All are the same, copy-and-paste. Why is this allowed? Why not simply start one post, and maintain it? This is spam, so why isn't anything being done about it? Yet, genuine posters lose posting privileges due to an innocent post. Of course this will also encourage members to have more than one user ID.

Seun, this needs sorting out. I'm no software expert, but I'm sure there are other more effective ways of controlling forum content. Perhaps a manual forum sweep should be done in the various sections, at least once a day? Most sections have more than one Moderator, so it's very possible, and would be less disruptive to members that keep the boards alive. And if Moderators could be reachable via email (never been on any board where the Moderators can't be contacted one way or the other) that'll be great.
Re: Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. by Nobody: 9:39am On Jun 27, 2011
As at today, nothing's been done about my post, which was merely to assist another Nairalander. I was banned twice by the BOT, and my posts are still hidden. I don't post anything here for financial gain - I'm not a trader, so have no financial stake here. I simply share knowledge and help others, which of course was the original purpose of Nairaland.

I appreciate Seun's busy, but this doesn't mean the running of the boards should grind to a halt. What is needed:

1) Direct access to Moderators, Super Moderators and Admin.
2) Daily manual sweep of the various sections. The Antispam Software is not poster friendly.
3) Response to member's emails, even if just to acknowledge receipt.
4) Multiple poster's to be monitored, and curtailed. 30 posts of the same issue / advert is annoying, to say the least.

There are perhaps other improvements that can be made, I'm an engineer, not a programmer, so not in a position to know exactly how these improvements can be implemented. But it's important changes are made, otherwise the Auto section will be in decline. Technical topics are of benefit to all, if these can't be posted, then all we'll have would be traders, which are good, but it's worth noting not everyone that visits this section wants to buy a car.
Re: Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. by Nobody: 9:40am On Jun 27, 2011
It would be a good idea, if this was stickied for a while, and / or front-paged, to ensure maximum visibility.
Re: Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jun 27, 2011
Bump!
Re: Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. by proxyautos(m): 4:30pm On Jun 27, 2011
looks like u just poured out my tots,.thumbs up 4 d constructive crititcsm.iv realy hope there could b a more apropriate way 2sanitise d forum,cos sumtimes u can get baned replying a post, i would b nice if we can hv direct email acces to modrators
Re: Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jun 27, 2011
proxyautos:

looks like u just poured out my tots,.thumbs up 4 d constructive crititcsm.iv realy hope there could b a more apropriate way 2sanitise d forum,cos sumtimes u can get baned replying a post, i would b nice if we can hv direct email acces to modrators

So it's affecting others too. Direct acces would be great. I've tried emailing Seun, but my emails haven't even been acknowledged.
Re: Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. by cinzo: 5:10pm On Jun 27, 2011
I was banned and unbanned three times last night for trying to post in the properties section. I believe things will definitely get better!
Re: Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. by chelseabmw(m): 5:23pm On Jun 27, 2011
smiley smiley smiley
Re: Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. by dantitiki(m): 7:28pm On Jun 27, 2011
I like.

As regards the daily sweep on the forum - I love

Even the 3-post-a-day rule, doesn't apply anymore as there are MANY defaulters which are partying around for FREE!!

Kind regards.
Re: Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. by Reptyle(m): 9:44pm On Jun 27, 2011
Ok, just experienced what y'all are Talking about now. I had to refresh the page four times before I was allowed to post. What gives? undecided
Re: Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. by Seun(m): 2:51am On Jun 28, 2011
@Siena: Do you really think posting some thread on Nairaland is the best way to reach me?  You may find this hard to believe, but I'm not psychic.  I do not have a spidey sense.  I do not feel a tingle in my spine anytime someone thinks about getting an answer from me.  I cannot even answer prayers.  I'm so sorry.
Re: Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. by Nobody: 8:06am On Jun 28, 2011
Seun, I posted in the boards as a last resort. I did send you two emails, without getting any responses. These were sent between Friday and Monday. The fact there's no direct contact between moderators and us members isn't helping either.
Re: Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. by Seun(m): 5:35pm On Jun 28, 2011
Did you send the emails to my email address?
I don't have access to other peoples' email accounts, you know.
Re: Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jun 28, 2011
Seun, I sent both emails to your email address. Possibly, you didn't receive them. But there's no way I'd know that.
Re: Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. by Seun(m): 8:51pm On Jun 28, 2011
What's my email address?
Re: Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. by gunpoint(m): 9:32pm On Jun 28, 2011
seun@goodluck2everybody.com grin tongue tongue
Re: Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. by inspiredm(m): 9:50pm On Jun 28, 2011
Siena, your Points are quite noted.

You usually notify me when you have Spambot issues, I can remember, when you sent me the Request about the member spamming the Board, I forwarded it, and he/she has been banned since then.

Also a Couple of Times you were Banned by the Spambot, You sent me an email and I forwarded them and they were restored

I have received private mails from Other members as well having One issue or the other and they were Sorted out.

I know how frustrating it can be, I have been banned several times by the Spambot as well

But as explained by the Admin There is really No Alternative to the Spambot as it does more Good than Bad and Without It, the Forum might have shit down by now.

Read Excerpts from Seun Below

I remember when I locked all Nairalanders out of the forum during a public holiday because I couldn’t keep up with spammers anymore. I was spending several hours every day just deleting spam and I was tired. Mukina2, a famous Nairalander, volunteered to help by moderating and recruiting other volunteer moderators.

I remember when I wrote an ‘antispam bot’ because moderators couldn’t keep up with spam. And it wasn’t enough. Then I added a registration CAPTCHA and it didn’t make any difference. [size=13pt]Nowadays, everyone hates the bot, because it often makes mistakes, but we would have had to lock down the forum if we didn’t have it.[/size]
Re: Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. by sultaan(m): 10:42pm On Jun 28, 2011
@ Siena,

Let me just say you are way ahead of me if you can still start a thread, gave up on that one a long time ago.

This is just evil we all have to live with for now, could have been worse grin
Re: Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jun 28, 2011
Seun:

What's my email address?

seun dot osewa at gmail dot com
Re: Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jun 28, 2011
Inspired, I get you.

I was unbanned, but the posts I made are still hidden. That's where my issues lie. I believe only the Admin is allowed to untag posts, unless it's no longer the case? I understand forum content needs to be kept in check, but I still believe if the boards are swept on a daily basis by the Moderators, spam and the like wouldn't be an issue. I am on other boards too, whereby some technical posts are pretty lengthy, but they are not tagged as spam.

Sure, the Antispam software can "learn" over a period of time what's spam, and what isn't, but that can take time. I'm no typist (I use two fingers) so when I respond to a query by a Nairalander who's got problems / questions with their automobile, I'm a bit put-off when after all my effort, it's tagged as spam. And the real spammers on the boards seem to go unchecked. I posted a prime example in post #2. 28 posts of the same advert, in the same boards is no joke.

@ Seun: My apologies, I'm not one to kick up a fuss, just that this seems to be a problem that's not going away.
Re: Nairaland And Antispam Software - There's Got To Be A Better Way. by BizBooks(m): 11:45pm On Jun 28, 2011
@ Siena,

Welcome to the club. As far back as July 2010, I wrote an article titled "Nairaland Spambot". Here is the first paragraph of that article:

Nairaland like most forums, has a computer software that prevents users from posting spam on the site. This software is called a SpamBot. SpamBots can sometimes be over-active and prevent the posting of relevant educational materials. On Wednesday, July 14, 2010, I tried to post the article below several times on Nairaland without success. Each time I post it, it disappears and the following message is displayed: “The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.” Since the article in question contains useful public information, I have re-posted it here in it’s entirety.

But I don't think a manual sweep of the forums will be a viable solution since NL is a very active forum with hundreds or even thousands of posts daily. Rather the Spambot should be tweaked to be less restrictive.

For the record, the article I was trying to post then is titled "Drivers At Fault In So-Called Sudden Acceleration Toyotas, NHTSA Says"

(1) (Reply)

Peugeot 307 2006 Model For just 650k / Needed Urgently: Registered 1999/2001/2003 Toyota Camry / Piedpiper Needs A Highlander 2007 /08.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.