Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,648 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:44 PM

Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary (27669 Views)

Hungary Vows To Block Transit Of Lethal Weapons To Ukraine / Nigerian Man Reacts As Fleeing Ukrainians Maintain Traffic Laws / Australian Girl, Clinging For Life To A Tree Is Airlifted To Safety( Pix, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by rasheylaw(m): 12:22am On Feb 25, 2022
Two Ukrainians fleeing a Russian invasion stood in the cold with their bags at the Hungarian border on Thursday, waiting for relatives living in Hungary to arrive and take them to safety.

Csaba Bodnar, 27, and his younger brother Tamas, both from the large ethnic Hungarian minority in western Ukraine, woke to the news of the invasion and set off immediately, fearing conscription into Ukraine's military.

"No one wants to get conscripted, no one wants to die," said Tamas. "It's clear that those who can, they flee."

The pair were among small groups of people leaving Ukraine at the Beregsurany crossing into Hungary, some coming from as far as the Ukrainian capital Kyiv, more than 800 km (497 miles) to the east, after Russia invaded.

The brothers had planned to start work in Hungary from next week in the town of Komarom near the Slovakian border, but the attack accelerated their plans.

Tamas had worked as a driver with his brother in the Ukrainian town of Berehove/Beregszasz.

Some people could be seen entering Hungary by car, but many came on foot, dragging suitcases over the frontier by hand.

The new arrivals in Hungary gathered at a small kiosk just a few hundred meters from the border, discussing plans and warming their hands in the cold.

A woman in her 40s wearing a winter jacket stood by the road with her 15-year-old son and just one large bag. She said she had brought her son as she feared he could be conscripted into the army if authorities lowered the age limit.

"I am afraid they will take my son," she said.

The woman, from Ukraine's ethnic Hungarian minority, works as a pastor in a nearby village, which she did not want to identify. She declined to give her name as she said she had to go back, not wanting to leave her parish behind. She said relatives living in Hungary would come and collect the boy.

'I AM SCARED'

A couple, Dmitry and Ksenia, both 23, left Kyiv late on Wednesday night by car. They crossed on foot into Hungary and plan to take a train to Germany where Dmitry's sister lives.
Dmitry says he is not fleeing conscription as he has heart problems and so would be unsuitable for army service.

"I am very worried for my mother, she could not yet make it (out of Kyiv)," he adds.

Tens of thousands of Ukrainians, many of them ethnic Hungarians, have worked in Hungary for years as wages are higher in Hungary. Among them is Eva, in her 40s, who works in the kiosk where those leaving Ukraine gathered on Thursday.

She told Reuters she had sent her two boys to the Czech Republic and her partner to Slovakia, afraid that they could be conscripted into the army.

"I am scared, I fear for my family ... for the men to be taken away into the army. I am a mother, how is it that I would have to send my child to die?" she said.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/dragging-suitcases-ukrainians-trek-safety-hungary-2022-02-24/

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by Rollsnjaguar(m): 12:28am On Feb 25, 2022
That guy behind those ladies should be arrested and given an AK47 to defend Ukraine. Where is he running to grin

194 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by adekanmbi1986(m): 1:40am On Feb 25, 2022
Hmm
Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by mike8804: 1:51am On Feb 25, 2022
I see Ukrainians as traitors.... how can my neighbor decided to invite my enemy and still think he can still be my neighbor.

Modified:
All you quoting me who can't defend their slave masters without insults, news for you:- America has invaded countries 60+ times since WWII, how many has Russia invaded.

And mentioning Estonia, Finland or Poland...most of these countries don't have a standing army nor bigger than your states. Ukraine is strategic both military, economically and landscape and with serious threat to Russia if fallen to the enemies.

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by mumumugu(m): 2:00am On Feb 25, 2022
This is not Ukraine vs Russia. This is Ukraine vs Ukraine sessionist which Russia support.

It is like Nigeria vs Biafra but England supporting Biafra.

Let us not hype this into third world war

23 Likes

Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by James4358(m): 2:33am On Feb 25, 2022
Am not a public or foreign affairs commentator so I've got nothing to say about russia vs ukraine... Am just minding my business & concentrating on what puts food on my table!

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by FERNANDEZISBACK: 2:56am On Feb 25, 2022
mike8804:
I see Ukrainians as traitors.... how can my neighbor decided to invite my enemy and still think he can still be my neighbor.
You know nothing..
Who's the enemy?so Ukraine insisting to Join NATO willingly is what makes them an enemy to Russia?

Who is Putin to tell Ukraine a sovereign state what to do with their country?

82 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by Hndrrxxx(m): 2:56am On Feb 25, 2022
Hh
Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by HRtechnique: 2:57am On Feb 25, 2022
"There shall be wars and rumours of war"...

"There shall be signs in Heaven"...

The spirit speaketh expressly.

9 Likes

Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by thisnaijaguy: 2:57am On Feb 25, 2022
Chei ..

Russia taking one step at a time to achieve what we don’t know yet.

Once it was Crimea, now it’s Ukraine that they want. I hope they don’t come for Africa next

1 Like

Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by Zaggadhat: 2:59am On Feb 25, 2022
Just watch as all the men would pull a bobrisky on the government cheesy

Only time cross dressing can save a life
Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by Afonjashapmouth: 2:59am On Feb 25, 2022
NA BETTER HUNGRY IN VIEW BE THAT
Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by Zaggadhat: 3:00am On Feb 25, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

You know nothing..
Who's the enemy?so Ukraine insisting to Join NATO willingly is what makes them an enemy to Russia?

Who is Putin to tell Ukraine a sovereign state what to do with their country?

Understand issues before giving a response.

This issues is as simple as the Fulani herdsmen crisis. When the government wanted to give them land in every state. And what was people's response No way!! It's the same as Russia and Ukraine. If Russia attempts to have a forward base in Canada or Mexico the US would do worse to them!!!

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by ebufa: 3:02am On Feb 25, 2022
Rollsnjaguar:
That guy behind those ladies should be arrested and given an AK47 to defend Ukraine. Where is he running to grin

Kudos to ESN operatives! Igbo men get balls of steel !...cannot say that about the other men in the zoo! those ones excel at shelling egusi seeds with women in the kitchen and calling ESN names on nairaland!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by CheapWebsite1: 3:04am On Feb 25, 2022
So sorry
Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by seunny4lif(m): 3:04am On Feb 25, 2022
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Those guys are the keyboard warriors
They are the one saying, they will defend Ukraine but only from safe of EU

Rollsnjaguar:

3 Likes

Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by Zaggadhat: 3:05am On Feb 25, 2022
mike8804:

This issue is just like FG with the RUGA that time!

3 Likes

Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by FERNANDEZISBACK: 3:05am On Feb 25, 2022
Zaggadhat:

Understand issues before giving a response.

This issues is as simple as the Fulani herdsmen crisis. When the government wanted to give them land in every state. And what was people's response No way!! It's the same as Russia and Ukraine. If Russia attempts to have a forward base in Canada or Mexico the US would do worse to them!!!
You still know nothing..is the Fulani in your country a sovereign state?
This is a matter of what Ukraine chose for themselves...they chose to join NATO which is still pending tho..and you are here displaying your ignorance..

Go play baby boy cos you are clueless..

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by Zaggadhat: 3:08am On Feb 25, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

This is a matter of what Ukraine chose for themselves...they chose to join NATO which is still pending tho..and you are here displaying your ignorance..

If you were bright you'd know the Fulani illustration IS a METAPHOR.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by Dybala11(m): 3:09am On Feb 25, 2022
mumumugu:
This is not Ukraine vs Russia. This is Ukraine vs Ukraine sessionist which Russia support.

It is like Nigeria vs Biafra but England supporting Biafra.

Let us not hype this into third world war
What is your point guy but Russia directly invaded Ukraine and is on the way to it's capital.
Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by FERNANDEZISBACK: 3:12am On Feb 25, 2022
Zaggadhat:

If you were bright you'd know the Fulani illustration IS a METAPHOR.
Boy you know nothing..I repeat is the Fulani in your country a sovereign country on its own?
Before you keep embarrassing yourself further..just slide off..

8 Likes

Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by Nobody: 3:14am On Feb 25, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

You that know so much, go and read what led to the Cuban missile crisis. When Cuba willingly decided to host Soviet missiles. This same hipocritical US imposed a naval blockade on Cuba and threatened nuclear war unless the missiles were removed.

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by blackpanda: 3:16am On Feb 25, 2022
mike8804:

Russia is not invading because Ukraine is trying to join NATO. Russia is simply trying to rebuild old Soviet union. This war was inevitable no matter what Ukraine did

6 Likes

Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by Zaggadhat: 3:17am On Feb 25, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

Boy you know nothing..I repeat is the Fulani in your country a sovereign country on its own?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by FERNANDEZISBACK: 3:22am On Feb 25, 2022
princeeze1:

You that know so much, go and read what led to the Cuban missile crisis. When Cuba willingly decided to host Soviet missiles. This same hipocritical US imposed a naval blockade on Cuba and threatened nuclear war unless the missiles were removed.
The USSR threatened Western Europe with it's massive Red Army. The US could not match the material preponderance of the Soviets, so nuclear weapons became a deterrence and force multiplier to level the playing field. At the end of WW 2, the Soviets tried to intimidate Turkey into signing away its sovereignty and control of its borders to the Russians. The US moved naval assets and the Russians backed off as the US had a monopoly on nuclear weapons at that time. Turkey became a member of NATO and the US had incentive to put nuclear tipped missiles in Turkey.
The US had a long standing policy from the Monroe Doctrine of the 1820s that meant the Americas were off limits from the Imperialistic powers and any empire or state that was a potential threat to the US.
The USSR challenged American national security and the attempted secret deployment of nuclear weapons 90 miles from the US was an act of war and needed to be countered. There is no way that President Kennedy could have managed this crisis .. The Republican leadership would have impeached Kennedy if the missiles were deployed and became operational and permanent...
So what's your point..?
You want to compare that with unwarranted invasion.. Ukraine willingly wants to join..so you see the difference now boy?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by FERNANDEZISBACK: 3:24am On Feb 25, 2022
[quote author=Zaggadhat post=110524849][/quote]
Slide off if you can't prove me wrong..
Is the Fulani in your country a sovereign state?
Why compare an independent country with a tribe huh?
Nonsense... undecided
Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by Clementoons: 3:25am On Feb 25, 2022
The end is near, folks it is high time we make amend of our ways,
wars, pestilences, kidnapping on the increase and lot more.
is'nt that thinkable for us to know the coming of JESUS CHRIST draweth near.
if you are stilling living in your sins, you have no excuse than to repent geniuenly and accept,promise JESUS never to go back.

NOTICE~ THE WITNESS OF YOUR SINS IS THE JUDGE HIMSELF.

Shalom

2 Likes

Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by Keegan: 3:26am On Feb 25, 2022
princeeze1:

Don't mind the guy. To him only his opinions count. He knows nothing.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by MERCHANDISER: 3:26am On Feb 25, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

This issue is beyond your Comprehensive.
This war is simply Russia vs USA not Ukraine

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by Keegan: 3:26am On Feb 25, 2022
FERNANDEZISBACK:

Slide off if you can't prove me wrong..
Is the Fulani in your country a sovereign state?
Why compare an independent country with a tribe huh?
Nonsense... undecided

Go and sit down Mr Man!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dragging Suitcases, Ukrainians Trek To Safety In Hungary by Winters23: 3:29am On Feb 25, 2022
mike8804:

Big traitors

They think NATO is a labour union.

Everyone knows nato is a military gang up against Russia and they want to bring them straight to Russia's doorsteps

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Asiana Airlines Crashes At San Francisco Airport, USA... / Paul Biya Wins Re-Election As Cameroon President At 85 / Airforce One, Marine One Fleet Grounded As 3 White House Reporters Test Positive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.