Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,733 members, 7,809,811 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:21 PM

Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst (2223 Views)

Net Salary For A Data Analyst Or Scientist Or Web Dev / Data Analyst/science - The Smart Way To Learn And Be Effective / Chronicle Of A Data Scientist/analyst (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst by Prinss: 6:07pm On Feb 25, 2022

"motivation is the fuel that keeps the flames of passion burning
"

And that's the reason I have decided to create this diary thread. I have discovered that there exist a direct proportionality between motivation and productivity when it comes to skill acquisition especially in the STEM field. If there is no or little motivation (gig, jobs , group challenge etc) then there will most likely be little to no productivity (learning new technologies, doing more projects etc). And so for the coming days I will be updating this thread with my progress as an aspiring data analyst just to keep the flame burning and ensure I complete my course and projects requirement.

Skill Track (primary):
1. Python (data analysis)
2. Structured Query Language (sqlite/postgre)
3. Excel

secondary:
4. Tableau
5. Power Bi

Resources:
1. Python : Python for Data Analysis - Mckinney (pdf) & loading...
2. Excel : ExcelisFun (Youtube)
3. SQL : PRACTICAL SQL A Beginner’s Guide to Storytelling with Data - Anthony DeBarros (pdf)
worthy mentions; stackoverflow, w3schools, geekforgeeks,realpython etc.
4. Datacamp

ps: Started over 2 months ago. Also I have posted this here instead of the diary section because I feel some of the information I will post here may come in handy to some aspiring python programmer.
Re: Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst by Hashabiah: 6:07pm On Feb 25, 2022
Following your progress
Re: Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst by Prinss: 1:16am On Feb 26, 2022
Timetable: Mon - Fri
1. Python (Data Analysis) - 3hrs
2. Python (Development) - 3hrs | Ardit Sulce's MegaPython course on Udemy (Strongly recommend for aspiring python programmers)
3. Excel - 2hrs

Ps: SQL - Did a course on it already. Still need to do some revision though.

So, what did I do this night:

Currently on page 138 for Python for Data Analysis - Mckinney. Learnt about transposing a dataframe using the .T method. Also the .index.name and .columns.name method for dataframe and series. And finally the .reindex method which allows you to reassign the index of the rows and columns of series and dataframe objects. See examples below:

Re: Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst by Prinss: 1:18am On Feb 26, 2022
Hashabiah:
Following your progress

You are most welcome
Re: Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst by Prinss: 1:39pm On Feb 27, 2022
26th Feb 2021

No practice unfortunately - light issues... guess I had to "keep the Sabbath day holy"
Re: Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst by Prinss: 10:31pm On Mar 01, 2022
1st March, 2022

So, its been a while. Went over sorting, sunsetting, slicing and indexing using square brackets, loc, and iloc extensively with McKinney. Was kind of a refresher as I had already learnt how to do this In the datacamp's data analyst career track course I took previously.

Spent the remaining hours of the day with Excel. Did some basic data analysis using pivot table, relative and absolute cell referencing, number and overall cell formating and got acquainted with some vital keyboard shortcuts.

PS: my goal this week is to finish 1 chapter from McKinney, Excel course module and do 1 python project.
Re: Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst by hope5(m): 7:33pm On Jul 24, 2022
Following[quote][/quote]
Re: Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst by Prinss: 4:16pm On Jul 27, 2022
How time fly...last update was in March and today is 27th July. shocked

So what happened?
After my last update I continued with Excel using the excelisfun YouTube series. Covered 90% of the basics video playlist. While consolidating with datacamp assessment as my subscription got expired.

April 2022
Applied for the Microsoft/Udacity and ALX-T/UDACITY Data Analysis 2022 nanodegree scholarship.

Began building my online profiles: LinkedIn, GitHub, and my website/FB page (all still in progress).

Took a break to re-assess myself and my progress so far. Then I realized something. While I was learning the skills needed for data analysis, I was yet to truly understand the process of data analysis.

I believe this is one obvious thing that many resources for data analysis fail to take into account and address, especially at the start of their course/lessons.

May 2022
Got selected for the ALX-T/Udacity data analysis scholarship 2022.

Continued building my brand (website/FB page).

Resumed Excel and started looking for a suitable SQL Variant to learn and build on (all ready familiar with SQLite)

Began taking python course by Ardit sluce to refine some all ready rough edges (was all ready an intermediate) and I know I will need it as a data analyst.

June 2022

Started ALX-T/Udacity data analysis program and I must say it was a prayer answered. The first course thoroughly answered the question - What is the data analysis process?
And from then on it has been a smooth sailing.

Got a remote job as a research assistant which fortunately involves data analysis (win-win)

There's a lot to post especially my projects and concepts/codes I have learnt just by going through this program, but I thought it necessary to close the "gap" before I proceed.

July 2022

About to round up my last technical project for the program (program ends 10th of next month).

With that out of the way, let's time to give back
Re: Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst by Mcstaid(m): 2:34pm On Jul 28, 2022
Sir please can u share with me some of alx materials.. I applied on the last cohort application phase and I was not selected, but hopefully with preparation and dedication I will try to apply in the next cohort.. But I need to prepare for it...
Anticipating your response sir..
Thanks
Re: Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst by Mcstaid(m): 2:34pm On Jul 28, 2022
Prinss:
How time fly...last update was in March and today is 27th July. shocked

So what happened?
After my last update I continued with Excel using the excelisfun YouTube series. Covered 90% of the basics video playlist. While consolidating with datacamp assessment as my subscription got expired.

April 2022
Applied for the Microsoft/Udacity and ALX-T/UDACITY Data Analysis 2022 nanodegree scholarship.

Began building my online profiles: LinkedIn, GitHub, and my website/FB page (all still in progress).

Took a break to re-assess myself and my progress so far. Then I realized something. While I was learning the skills needed for data analysis, I was yet to truly understand the process of data analysis.

I believe this is one obvious thing that many resources for data analysis fail to take into account and address, especially at the start of their course/lessons.

May 2022
Got selected for the ALX-T/Udacity data analysis scholarship 2022.

Continued building my brand (website/FB page).

Resumed Excel and started looking for a suitable SQL Variant to learn and build on (all ready familiar with SQLite)

Began taking python course by Ardit sluce to refine some all ready rough edges (was all ready an intermediate) and I know I will need it as a data analyst.

June 2022

Started ALX-T/Udacity data analysis program and I must say it was a prayer answered. The first course thoroughly answered the question - What is the data analysis process?
And from then on it has been a smooth sailing.

Got a remote job as a research assistant which fortunately involves data analysis (win-win)

There's a lot to post especially my projects and concepts/codes I have learnt just by going through this program, but I thought it necessary to close the "gap" before I proceed.

July 2022

About to round up my last technical project for the program (program ends 10th of next month).

With that out of the way, let's time to give back
Re: Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst by Prinss: 7:46pm On Jul 30, 2022
Mcstaid:
Sir please can u share with me some of alx materials.. I applied on the last cohort application phase and I was not selected, but hopefully with preparation and dedication I will try to apply in the next cohort.. But I need to prepare for it...
Here is my email isaacgowin2@gmail.com..
Thanks

Hello Isaac,

The program is very rich in content and hosted on a cloud server i.e aside from copying and downloading the videos one after the other externally, the only way to access the content is via the classroom. I can send some of the webinar videos for career growth and management but as for the technical videos I haven't downloaded the whole thing as I am yet to complete the program.

Hopefully, if it's not against their policy, I will send you the YouTube link to download all the videos after I complete the program.
Re: Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst by Prinss: 9:19pm On Jul 30, 2022
July 30th, 2022

I had to go to the office to make my pitch video (the first time) and submit it to ALX-T as part of the requirement for a survey form for The Room.
One unique thing about this scholarship program by ALX-T is that they are as concerned about equipping you with the skill as they are concerned with building your career as a professional. There are connect sessions every week (mandatory), where you interact with a tenured professional in your chosen track, you are assigned a career coach that schedules meeting with you every week and many more. On top of that, you are invited to join an exclusive community of professionals called The Room once you successfully graduate from the program. There you get to network and get recommended for available jobs that match your skill set.

After my pitch video, I continued with project 3 - Communicate Findings via Visualizations. This project is for the data visualization stage of data analysis. Here rather than just use code, you use plots to visually inspect, observe, and investigate trends and patterns in your data set.

I am using the Prosper Loan data set for this project provided by Udacity. Today, I stumbled on a term I wasn't very clear about - Skewness. You will most likely encounter this when you plot a histogram. There are basically two types - Right/Positive or Left/Negative skew.

Right/Positive Skew: Here you have a histogram with bars from the middle towards the right decreasing or reducing in height relative to the bars on the left. The Mode < Median < Mean.

Left/Negative Skew: The converse of right-skew. Mean < Median < Mode.

Now, if you are like me and prefer to learn in layman's terms, to understand how to interpret a histogram plot with respect to skewness let's take the distribution of a test trial on a new covid-19 vaccine. If the plot of this vaccine effectiveness is plotted as success on test subjects with respect to time and we have a rightly-skewed plot, this implies that the vaccine is effective at the initial stage but tends to lose its efficacy as time goes on there by questioning its reliability. If left-skewed, then it's likely that the vaccine has a slow-acting efficacy as it tends to fail at its initial stage but improve potentially as time goes on or by continued use.

pix uploading...

2 Likes

Re: Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst by Mcstaid(m): 12:01am On Jul 31, 2022
Prinss:

Hello Isaac,

The program is very rich in content and hosted on a cloud server i.e aside from copying and downloading the videos one after the other externally, the only way to access the content is via the classroom. I can send some of the webinar videos for career growth and management but as for the technical videos I haven't downloaded the whole thing as I am yet to complete the program.

Hopefully, if it's not against their policy, I will send you the YouTube link to download all the videos after I complete the program.
Thanks for the response, the webinar videos will be a great deal sir, especially for motivation and focus towards achieving the desired result...
Re: Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst by Prinss: 1:09pm On Jul 31, 2022
Mcstaid:
Thanks for the response, the webinar videos will be a great deal sir, especially for motivation and focus towards achieving the desired result...

Will send the link before the end of the week
Re: Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst by Mcstaid(m): 3:43pm On Jul 31, 2022
Prinss:

Will send the link before the end of the week
Thanks sir!
Re: Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst by Prinss: 2:04pm On Aug 03, 2022
Mcstaid:
Here is my email
Thanks

Sent. You should take down your email address for your online safety/privacy
Re: Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst by airsaylongcome: 2:31pm On Aug 03, 2022
Prinss:

Hilarious advise! You quoted his email for posterity and want him to take it down?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst by Prinss: 4:58pm On Aug 03, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Hilarious advise! You quoted his email for posterity and want him to take it down?

Fixed, thanks. I hardly quote people/comment on Nairaland, so didn't realize it when I made the post plus I was in a hurry.
Re: Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst by airsaylongcome: 5:14pm On Aug 03, 2022
Prinss:

Fixed, thanks. I hardly quote people/comment on Nairaland, so didn't realize it when I made the post plus I was in a hurry.

Taken my screen grab down as well
Re: Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst by Mcstaid(m): 4:19am On Aug 05, 2022
Prinss:

Okay sir! Thanks for the kind gesture.. I have done that now.
Re: Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst by Prinss: 1:19pm On Aug 30, 2022
August 30th, 2022

Wow, how time flies... Hello reader from the future. 

First and foremost, I am pleased to announce that I have successfully completed my ALX-T/Udacity Data Analysis Nanodegree program. It was a fantastic experience. The question now is, "What next?" 

For me, the learning continues. While I position myself for a new job, I want to use this time to relive and consolidate all I have learnt from the Udacity data analysis program. I will take each of the major aspects of data analysis one at a time and complete a project focused on each. 

What is the data analysis process?
 Simply put, these are a set of systematic steps needed to achieve an organized, reliable, and professional analysis of a data set. These include:
i. Question
ii. Wrangle
iii. Explore
iv. Draw Conclusions
v. Communicate

Every data analysis begins with a question. It could be the influence of one variable over another, the impact of a variable on an event, etc. Before beginning any data analysis project, the analyst must have a set of pre-defined questions that will guide the course of his data analysis. 

With the questions taken care of, the next thing is to wrangle the data. Data wrangling is one of the major responsibilities of a data analyst. It involves gathering, assessing, and cleaning the data set for reliable and accurate analysis. As a fact, it is the most important because if it is not done or done erroneously, then the reliability, accuracy, and integrity of the analysis will be void.

Next is exploratory analysis. This is where the analyst goes further to poke the data set to check for trends and patterns that would either confirm his suspicions or dismiss them. Also, during this process, he is able to discover new insights that may change the course of the analysis. One major component of this part of the analysis process is the use of visualizations, which, if utilized properly, can help simplify the analysis process and may even reveal elusive data quality issues that escaped the data wrangling step.

Drawing conclusions and communicating your insights is another very important aspect of a data analyst's responsibility. The right visualization must be used; the medium of communication, the insights, and noting limitations are all important factors that make up an effective analysis report/presentation.

1 Like

Re: Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst by jazzdude(m): 9:26pm On Mar 12, 2023
2023 update?
Re: Progress Report: Becoming A Data Analyst by sheDD(m): 1:01am On Mar 07
Prinss:
Timetable: Mon - Fri
1. Python (Data Analysis) - 3hrs
2. Python (Development) - 3hrs | Ardit Sulce's MegaPython course on Udemy (Strongly recommend for aspiring python programmers)
3. Excel - 2hrs

Ps: SQL - Did a course on it already. Still need to do some revision though.

So, what did I do this night:hey!!
You still continued in the anlaysis jprney
How far so far!!!??
Can we have talk time pls....??

Currently on page 138 for Python for Data Analysis - Mckinney. Learnt about transposing a dataframe using the .T method. Also the .index.name and .columns.name method for dataframe and series. And finally the .reindex method which allows you to reassign the index of the rows and columns of series and dataframe objects. See examples below:

(1) (Reply)

Are You Developer ? Check This Asap / Enaira API / Top 12 Best Coding Or Programming Schools In Lagos In 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.