Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,472 members, 7,812,457 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:41 PM

EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov (24482 Views)

International Criminal Court Issues Warrant Of Arrest On Putin for war crimes / Macron Warns Against Inflammatory Words After Biden’s Remark On Putin / ECOWAS Suspends Mali, To Impose Sanctions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by etokhana: 11:48pm On Feb 25, 2022
The US, EU and UK have ordered personal sanctions on Russian President Vladimir Putin and his Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov over the invasion of Ukraine.

The men's assets in their territories will be frozen and, in the case of the US, a travel ban will also be imposed.

The announcement came on the second day of the Russian attack on its neighbour.

Such punitive measures against leaders are rare. The EU has only ever imposed sanctions on the presidents of Syria and Belarus, for instance.

The US, for its part, has previously announced measures against Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, in addition to Syria's Bashar al-Assad.

It is unclear how significant the assets of Mr Putin and Mr Lavrov are in the US, EU and UK and what practical impact the sanctions will have.

Russia said they showed the West's "absolute impotence" on foreign policy.

German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock said the Russian president and his top diplomat were "responsible for the deaths of innocent people in Ukraine, and for trampling on the international system".

"We, as Europeans, do not accept that," she said, after a meeting of foreign ministers in Brussels.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60530171

Canada will impose sanctions directly on Russian President Vladimir Putin and his inner circle of advisers, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Friday afternoon.

The sanctions will also extend to Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Putin's chief of staff.

"These men bear the greatest responsibility for the death and destruction occurring in Ukraine," Trudeau said.

"The world is witnessing the horrors of President Putin's war of choice ... It is an atrocity for Ukraine's over 40 million innocent citizens, and for the world."

Trudeau described the new measures as the third set of "severe, coordinated sanctions" implemented by Canada and its allies.

The United States, United Kingdom and European Union earlier on Friday announced sanctions against Putin and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.

Canada will also impose new sanctions on Belarus, which hosted joint exercises with the Russian military and served as the launching pad for the invasion across Ukraine's northern border. The new sanctions apply to 57 Belarusian individuals.

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1497330668258406400?t=G6pI8tKF1rODsXAuiIE1qw&s=19

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by ayindejimmy(m): 12:02am On Feb 26, 2022
While they're imposing these sanctions they should double their efforts at supplying deadly weapon and ammo to Ukraine.
Victory for Ukraine

119 Likes 10 Shares

Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by yanabasee(m): 12:02am On Feb 26, 2022
Putin will never survive this...

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by ayindejimmy(m): 12:07am On Feb 26, 2022
Russia vetoes UN Security Council resolution condemning Russia's attack on Ukraine, China abstains.

China abstaining is a massive loss for Russia it let's Russia know that China is not with them right now. Now may be the time for NATO to make the move

China has voted with Russia in every single UN security Council meetings for the last 3 years up until today, China ain't stupid. They know Russia is in for a rude shock.
China and America need one another for the world to go round but no one really needs Russia - except for AK-47

55 Likes 7 Shares

Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by ayindejimmy(m): 12:15am On Feb 26, 2022
Can someone tell me how Ghana and Kenya are voting and Nigeria isn't?

54 Likes 5 Shares

Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by Nobody: 12:25am On Feb 26, 2022
Guess Buhari is scared of Putin, why he hasn't voted YES

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by Deborah98(f): 12:26am On Feb 26, 2022
ayindejimmy:
While they're imposing these sanctions they should double their efforts at supplying deadly weapon and ammo to Ukraine.
Victory for Ukraine
Exactly... Putin has bragged alot,he needs to be humbled. Lubbish.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by DuBLINGreenb(m): 6:00am On Feb 26, 2022
Nigeria and AU over to you impose sanctions

But Ukrainians sef used to be racist to Africans sha

You people should not support anybody that does not give us visa oh

Edit: lol some people insulted me for saying Ukrainians are racist, as at today more than 24 hours after I posted this reports have emerged of Ukrainian police dragging Black's off trains in Lviv heading to poland and also at the polish border the Black's are sent to the back of the line many African women and children have been on the queue for more than 7 hours in 3°C weather
I can go on and on with many examples.

I don't hate Ukrainians, Infact I think Putin is wrong to attack them, they (Ukraine) are a sovereign nation and can decide to join whatever organisation they want to join be it NATO or E.U they should have freedom of association just as every other sovereign independent nation.

I was only saying that we should not kill ourselves for them, people who cannot share with you in a time of plenty will not cut small for you when they have little, people who will not give you a cup of water when they have a drum full will not give you a sip when they have only a cup full.
Most Ukrainians are known to me as racists even the young ones seem to have a sort of superiority complex towards Black's except a few of them who are young and well traveled.
Let me also say I have met a few Ukrainians who love Nigeria, one even had a tattoo of Africa on her body, but I'm sure it's because she had interacted with Nigerians as for the majority of them they will avoid interactions at all and still hold on to their misconceptions.

I personally think Russia is less racist than Ukraine at least from my own personal opinion. I also believe Poland is more racist than people like to admit.

We should have our own interests to secure that's all I'm saying. I wish you all who are victims of racism during this ongoing RussoUkrainie war strength and safety.

53 Likes 4 Shares

Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by Blessassurance(f): 6:00am On Feb 26, 2022
May God be with the people of Ukraine

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by freelancerrr: 6:01am On Feb 26, 2022
wink
Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by Enemyofpeace: 6:02am On Feb 26, 2022
Buhari and lying Mohammed are next

5 Likes

Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:02am On Feb 26, 2022
Putin will be the loser in all of these......

Peace is all we want in our world.

Again,
God save our world.
Peace is all we want in the world.

Let's make Love, Not War.

16 Likes 8 Shares

Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by tspun(m): 6:02am On Feb 26, 2022
Still imposing sanctions?
What Putin needs now is more than sanctions
I pray for Ukraine

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by CSTRR: 6:02am On Feb 26, 2022
This is the first time the president of a major country is being personally sanctioned.

Putin is cut off from Western Civilization, and I doubt he would be able to attend the UN summit in New York again.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by Eriggs: 6:03am On Feb 26, 2022
Putin, stop all these nonsense.
I beg you personally

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by Eriggs: 6:04am On Feb 26, 2022
CSTRR:
This is the first time the president of a major country is being personally sanctioned.

Putin is cut off from Western Civilization, and I doubt he would be able to attend the UN summit in New York again.
Never will Putin attend anything international again.
Never!

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by DenreleDave(m): 6:04am On Feb 26, 2022
Na Belarus I pity most..

I pray all our Nigerian yahoo boys start hacking Russia and Putins bank account....

I hope all sport betting folks shun betting on any Russian and Belarusian team...

I hope Buhari donate Nigerian police to Ukraine to help them annihilate the Russian

Together we must win this war

11 Likes

Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by elmessiahs(m): 6:06am On Feb 26, 2022
Germany are pained by the story of the Berlin Wall

2 Likes

Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by CoronaVirusPro: 6:06am On Feb 26, 2022
The already devastating hunger will multiply.

Russian oligarchs already lost over $30 Billion in 24 hours. By the time this sanctions go for months, Nigeria will be supporting Russia!

But the EU, NATO and the USA need to focus on rerouting their energy towards LNG Canada. Chip already on the table but needs to drastically activated. Russians need to cook and drink their gas.

And this is an opportunity! Who knows… Bonny Island might power Europe!

Respect to the “Ghost of Kiev” The first Ace fighter pilot of the 21st century. 6 kills in less than 24 hours with a Mig-29. History will never forget!

Can USAF please gift that pilot with a F-35 lightening, Dude is capable of downing all Russian jet fighters if he can achieve that great feet with a Fulcrum .

But speculations have it that’s Israel enhanced the radar of the Russian MIG-29.

How can you make 6 kills will that a fulcrum in 2022! That pilot definitely a mercenary. A pilot with little to no training time cannot achieve that feet

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by mcjohny(m): 6:07am On Feb 26, 2022
sanctions their best weapon against putin
tspun:
Still imposing sanctions?
What Putin needs now is more than sanctions

1 Like

Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by helinues: 6:08am On Feb 26, 2022
1833three:
[s][/s]

Cancellation monikers are disappearing one by one.

Kudos to the mods.
Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by sotall(m): 6:08am On Feb 26, 2022
cool
Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by Deltavariant(m): 6:09am On Feb 26, 2022
No amount of sanctions can make Russia turn its back on Ukraine, its now or never. The Russians will feel the economic heat for few years but will circumvent these sanctions and further complicate issues for Europe and America. Have sanctions made Iran, Venezuela, Syria more responsible or more belligerent...

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by SailorUgo(m): 6:10am On Feb 26, 2022
wink
Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by franksam2009: 6:11am On Feb 26, 2022
ayindejimmy:
Russia vetoes UN Security Council resolution condemning Russia's attack on Ukraine, China abstains.

China abstaining is a massive loss for Russia it let's Russia know that China is not with them right now. Now may be the time for NATO to make the move

China has voted with Russia in every single UN security Council meetings for the last 3 years up until today, China ain't stupid. They know Russia is in for a rude shock.
China and America need one another for the world to go round but no one really needs Russia

you don't need Russia but you need America,,, now tell yourself the truth,, are you making sense with all these trash you wrote?

7 Likes

Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by Teerach: 6:11am On Feb 26, 2022
Like say Putin send them. Y'all think the nigga is a fool ba? He weighed his options very well before invading Ukraine. He knows it's for the greater good. He saw the empty threat abi sanctions coming. That's what leadership is all about. Making decisions knowing there may be severe consequences. You want them to shiver so the US can use them to shine. Right now, the world knows that Putin is a mad man, them go begin dey calm down for where him dey.
Man mustn't live by bread alone. There are some fight best taken.
Those people saying China is abstaining dey find country head to use knack ground. Like US is joining Ukraine in the fight ba? With the kind energy they used in pushing Ukraine to her fall, one would believe US soldiers are even in Ukraine right now helping out. Na sanctions them dey dish. Be dishing sanctions and blaming Putin until Ukraine is wiped out and turned into Libya, Syria or Afghanistan.
May God help us to make decisions on our own without external influence and without enemies disguising as friends.

45 Likes 11 Shares

Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by Deltavariant(m): 6:12am On Feb 26, 2022
yanabasee:
Putin will never survive this...
He survived it after experimenting on Crimea in 2014...

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EU, US, UK, Canada Impose Sanctions On Putin, Lavrov by Exprofressor: 6:12am On Feb 26, 2022
I don't know why people find it hard to simply comprehend.
Most of the sanctions are targeted at banks and individuals - Putin's strong men. It's next to useless because it can't hurt the Russian economy

Why didn't they remove Russia from SWIFT?
Why didn't they sanction Russia's energy?

The West knows if they dare, all Economies will bleed except from oil producing nations which Russia is among because of the rising oil prices.

Abeg make una try understand wetin de really happen before showing how ignorant you guys are

40 Likes 9 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Gambia President-Elect; Adam Barrow Is Alive - Gambian Journalist, Camara / Tottenam On Fire / Putin Critic Navalny, Missing For Weeks, Turns Up In Arctic Gulag Prison

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.